Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

McBleezy8 OP t1_irt7i5c wrote

Just a few squats every half an hour, or a brief walk seem to be able to significantly increase muscle remodeling (mps) comparable to just sitting. Not in itself a revelation to most but maybe motivation that even a small amount of something is better than nothing

CharlieTuna_ t1_irtqbcp wrote

Those squats can add up, too. Years ago when I was losing weight I’d do like 5 squats every 15 minutes or so. I figured I was just burning a few calories here and there. They’re just body weight squats, right? Well when I lost the weight I realized I had some incredibly big thighs. Then I realized I was doing 100-200 squats daily for an entire year. Sometimes even the small things you do can add up

henman215 t1_irtwch7 wrote

What do you do for work that you can excuse yourself every 15 minutes for squats?

CharlieTuna_ t1_irtxzpl wrote

Programmer. I mean it only takes a few seconds to rattle off 5 squats. Standing up from your chair? Add 5 squats. Same with sitting down. I don’t even have to take my hands off the keyboard and I can do them. After awhile it’s second nature to find a few moments to do a few squats. You’re pretty much doing a squat any time you sit down, add a few more

SerialStateLineXer t1_iru95bp wrote

>You’re pretty much doing a squat any time you sit down

Well, a half squat.

henman215 t1_irusefi wrote

I suppose if I'd work with other people they'd notice, probably think it's a little odd for a bit but they'd get used to it

nucleosome t1_irw2atn wrote

Nobody at my office would bat an eyelash over this. Some people eveb sitt on those giant bouncy ball things.

psychedeliken t1_irxzdl4 wrote

Same here. I do tons of random “nano-workouts” throughout the day. I have a pull-up bar with rings next to my desk and also through in misc core workouts throughout the day. Coupled with frequent stretching, it has significantly helped my health/fitness imo. Oh, and controlling my mouth helps a lot.

standarduser2 t1_irukwqu wrote

What are you doing that you don't have time for 5 squats?

henman215 t1_irusb7t wrote

Sitting in a meeting with other people for more than 15 minutes

Sennheisenberg t1_iruv478 wrote

I'm sure they're not that strict with it.

henman215 t1_iruy8f9 wrote

Oh there are no rules against it, but if you stand up in the middle of a meeting and start doing squats you will quickly become "that guy" that does squats in the middle of a meeting

1solate t1_irv1sow wrote

Maybe you'll get scheduled for less meetings. Win win.

lyam23 t1_irvuh5k wrote

I thik OP meant that they weren't strict with the "every 15 minutes" bit. Not that your colleagues weren't strict with their "no squats during the meeting" policy :D

ConqueredCorn t1_irwt3xt wrote

5 squats can be done in 10 seconds. Don't really have to excuse anything

hiirnoivl t1_irtn5qb wrote

This! It does wonders for my back and knees! Feels great