Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Weird-Fox-4036 t1_iz93ie2 wrote

Lived super healthy, got covid, developed IBD, eat insanely healthy, meds ... And I'm still stuck with this stupid thing. There's also an auto immune response that just can't be ignored

cgarcia123 t1_iz9eid5 wrote

My IBD like gastric problems stopped 2 years ago when I started making (and eating) my own yogurt with the L. Reuteri probiotic. It's basically about using L. Reuteri capsules as a yogurt starter (look up youtube videos), and it's fun if anything. The yogurt this makes is more like cottage cheese but still quite tasty. Nowadays I usually start my yogurt with a 10 to 1 mix of L.Reuteri and normal yogurt, so the end result looks and tastes almost like store bought, but certainly contains a lot of L. Reuteri.

Weird-Fox-4036 t1_iz9f2oa wrote

Thx for meaning well, but I'm on probiotics, prebiotics and only pro positive gut microbia and anti inflammatory food. I got severely disabled through covid, due to developing an autoimmune disorder. As long as those stupid auto antibodies are destroying my body, I won't be able to get rid of ibd. That's exactly the problem I meant, so many think that you just don't eat right, do the right things.. when there is the possibility of auto-antibodies inflamming your gut ..

cgarcia123 t1_iz9lg6c wrote

Sorry to hear that, I understand what you mean, hope it subsides eventually

uglylittle t1_izdyntb wrote

My son developed Crohn’s suddenly in 2020 at age 14. He’d never been sick a day in his life, is a healthy eater and an active athlete. It’s so frustrating hearing non-IBD folks’ opinions on this debilitating disease. CBD might help with some symptom relief but omg it’s not some magic elixir for seriously sick people! The reality in our case is that my son needs a medical infusion every 8 weeks for the rest of his life in order to live a “normal” life.. and those infusions cost nearly 2k a pop in the US. Dietary changes are not enough.. in my opinion environmental factors AND the food we eat are to blame for the rise of IBD in the Western world.

shamanstacy t1_izdegg6 wrote

Try adding CBD to the regimen. It often helps with inflammation and the autoimmune issues that cause it. Just my experience working with many different patients.

Weird-Fox-4036 t1_izdfa5z wrote

I obviously do this already....

Weird-Fox-4036 t1_izdfff7 wrote

I said that I already take everything anti inflammatory available..

Weird-Fox-4036 t1_izdffnn wrote

I said that I already take everything anti inflammatory available..

uglylittle t1_izdyyfi wrote

I’ve actually heard a lot about this and have been wanting to try. Thanks for this info. Do you use a yogurt making machine?

cgarcia123 t1_izfihxv wrote

You can do this with any yogurt machine, but it's important to be able to get 37C with some accuracy. A sous vide stick in a water bath and some glass jars is a good way to do it, and you can make a lot at the same time. It can take 16 to 24 hours for the milk to curdle.

Starrynite120 t1_iz9xalg wrote

I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. This year I finally got to a stable place. Major diet adjustments and different meds for different problems got me there. I’d recommend talking to a dietitian. When I did, I discovered foods I was eating every day were causing me problems, even though they’re healthy (like apples). With that sorted I can go days without meds now (6 months ago I was doing 5-10 pills/doses a day of various medications). Maybe you’ll find something helpful too.

MosesOnAcid t1_iz931i5 wrote

So being healthy prevents an illness? Wow...

maowsers93 t1_iza0oy3 wrote

You’d be surprised how many people are resistant to this information and need academic proof to be convinced of it. I and my boyfriend have IBS. He has rheumatoid arthritis to boot which is often times accompanied by IBS. We manage the IBS symptoms through a low FODMAP diet alone. While he takes shots for his arthritis, a low FODMAP diet further reduces his RA symptoms.

Almost everyone in my mom’s family has IBS. The usual cause of death for that side of the family is colon cancer. My sister in law has it as well and all of them refuse to accept that they need to switch to a low FODMAP diet. They all take medication insisting that the symptoms are unavoidable. Taking pills is a lot easier and more convenient than being diligent in your diet.

cdiamond10023 t1_iz9n66h wrote

Let’s not forget that the food supply has been altered to increase profit not health.

cerealsnax t1_iz9z13y wrote

How not to get sick? Be healthy!! Problem is that healthy is a difficult thing to define. My grandfather lived to the age of 98 and still drank a glass of whiskey and ate mostly whatever he wanted. Arguably and by some arbitrary definition, he didn't have a "healthy" lifestyle, but he was in GREAT health.

Its like telling people with depression to just be happy.

Wagamaga OP t1_iz916re wrote

Adopting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle might prevent up to 60% of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) cases, making it a feasible option for future preventive strategies, according to US researchers.

The findings, published in the journal Gut, are based on analysis of two large studies looking at the health of thousands of nurses and other healthcare professionals.

Diagnoses of IBD – comprising Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis – have been increasing globally, the study authors noted, with the condition currently affecting around 1.3 million adults in Europe.

Previous research has linked IBD risk with several lifestyle factors, they said, but it was not clear if adopting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle might lower the risk of developing it in the first place.

To investigate further, they looked at data on on participants from the Nurses’ Health Study, Nurses’ Health Study II, and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study.

https://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2022/11/28/gutjnl-2022-328174

dudicus1414 t1_iz9h7iu wrote

You know, after reading all these r/science studies, I’ve concluded. That it’s probably good to eat healthy and exercise….

Netsuko t1_izbjrl8 wrote

Good thing that living a healthy lifestyle only costs a lot of money and requires you to have a job where you actually CAN live a healthy lifestyle. :(

AutoModerator t1_iz9124f wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

ElectrikDonuts t1_izampp3 wrote

Healthily lifestyle must include avoiding military service

9chars t1_izb9nsk wrote

oh yeah? how are we going to do that now?

ayebuhlaze t1_izcywws wrote

This study is super misleading. UC and Chrohns are chronic autoimmune diseases that are not caused by diet.

tree-molester t1_iz98y3g wrote

And probably a lot of other health disorders, but y’all gonna die, eventually. So drink up humans!

−2

[deleted] t1_iz9l6jw wrote

I prefer to do steroids but thanks for the suggestion

ShortNefariousness2 t1_iz9b016 wrote

Plant based diet, 10k steps a day.

It's not rocket science

−14

Twisted_Cabbage t1_iz9qk7c wrote

It's definitely all about plant-based but it's not a cure all. Way too many people try it way too late in life and then complain itdoesn'tt work. The key is to start it as early as possible to actually prevent diseases. Most lifestyle diseases take years to develop and typically take years to resolve. Sure a few people get big changes quick and make headlines but most people should be doing it super early in life...and doing it right. Fast food vegan or fruititarian ain't helpin anyone's health.

ShortNefariousness2 t1_izlogik wrote

I went vegetarian in my twenties.

I'm in my 50s now and feel great, and am not fat and slow.

Humans are designed to be active, walking and running, and eating plants, and a bit of meat.

In this modern world, I just cut out the meat, because it is cruel to animals.

maowsers93 t1_iza0yd2 wrote

People with IBS can’t eat a primarily plant based diet. The FODMAPS found in most plant based foods is what triggers symptoms. We can eat many plant based foods but it can’t be the foundation and has to be carefully monitored.