Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

maxtility OP t1_j936xoc wrote

Toward a Dyson Swarm: r/DysonSwarm

AllCommiesRFascists t1_j939z7c wrote

I am just waiting for SpaceX shares to appear on secondary markets to scoop up

Nagoshtheskeleton t1_j93wci6 wrote

It really is pretty under appreciated. I just got it (we live in the forest-pretty isolated) and it’s a game changer

drekmonger t1_j959yh0 wrote

I don't care. It's not worth the cost to have all those disposable satellites up there. Terrible environmental decision to allow this to go forward. Terrible for astronomy, too.

−2

WithoutReason1729 t1_j95mptt wrote

I don't like most of Musk's ventures but I'm beyond psyched for Starlink. Having lived on the road before, it's really hard to get good internet in a lot of places. I'd love to see shitty regional ISPs get shredded to bits.

flyblackbox t1_j97o54u wrote

Wow.. so the conclusion drawn by the video is that he’s a super villain who, for personal gain, is going to destroy Astronomy and space travel (ironically) but at the same time not actually generate any profits..

WithoutReason1729 t1_j983evh wrote

Tesla I'm back and forth on. It's impressive and I wish them well but ultimately I think the major car manufacturers are doing a better job than he is and that Tesla is overvalued.

Neuralink and any company that wants to implant devices in people is an immediate no from me. It's a horrifying privacy nightmare.

OpenAI is really cool. I actually use it on this account to generate advice in /r/needadvice. Check my post history haha. Overall I like them as a company but I'm very disappointed they went closed-source in spite of open literally being in the name. With that being said though, their newer models are impossible to run on consumer grade hardware anyway so I'd be paying somebody API usage fees and so I don't mind that it's them.

WithoutReason1729 t1_j985wtp wrote

Yeah, but not being able to avoid interfacing with the tech, even if I'm not forced at gunpoint to get it, I still find that unpalatable. If he wasn't the one behind it, I'd still dislike it exactly as much.

I feel the same way about the rise of smart phones and about the sudden popularity of cloud-enabled front door security cameras. Even without participating, there's a you-shaped hole missing from the surveillance state and you're implicitly tracked through that.

As for how external devices are less invasive, they're less invasive because I can disable them, walk away from them, turn them off. Something stuck inside my head and directly interfacing with my brain is way more invasive.

WithoutReason1729 t1_j988akt wrote

It's inevitable but I still don't like it and I don't think I ever will, honestly.

Also I don't believe it will be fully controlled by the end user. We've been heading in the direction of less and less control over our own electronics for a long time now and I don't see why that trend would stop, given that it's clearly more profitable and most people don't mind giving up the control. Especially given that you can't just get rid of your own brain implant in the same way that you can install a new OS on a computer or toss it in the trash if you really hate it.

Carbidereaper t1_j9e6i98 wrote

That’s not how orbital dynamics works. If an object in orbit suffers a head on collision it will rob the object of its orbital momentum and all of the corresponding debris will fall into a lower orbit were it will burn up. To shift and object to a higher orbit you have to add energy to the object. collisions always tend to rob energy from moving objects

AllCommiesRFascists t1_j9eiyug wrote

It’s too long and don’t have the time to watch it completely atm

So apparently Elon managed to dupe the DoD, Space Force, and NRO into handing him the multi-billion dollar StarShield program, as well as countries like China and Russia who are desperate to build a competing satellite network