Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThroawayBecauseIsuck t1_itauhqm wrote

Reply to comment by Rebatu in 3D meat printing is coming by Shelfrock77

How is that related? This video isn't lab grown meat, it is "beyond meat" on a printer.

Rebatu t1_itav7ne wrote

I didn't gather it was Beyond meat.

But plant based meat substitutes are notoriously lacking in vital nutrients that you usually get from animals. Unless Beyond is directly supplementing the B12, carnitine and iron

ThroawayBecauseIsuck t1_itavol2 wrote

Many industrialized foods are artificially enriched I don't see why vegetarian meat couldn't be. And even if it wasn't, purchasing B12 supplements and ingesting them is not more trouble than purchasing meat, cooking and ingesting it, unless you raise cows to eat in your property yourself.

And even if this was lab grown meat, the problem tou brought up with only means it isn't 100% better but the proportion isn't killing one calf to yield the same as one cow.

Rebatu t1_itawa8x wrote

The proportion is killing 100 calfs to make the equivalent of 1 cow in meat. What the hell are you talking about?

Have you ever grown cells?

ThroawayBecauseIsuck t1_itaxrkd wrote

I would be happy if you could link a source for the proportion because I am interested. Not that I don't believe you I just really want to know and I couldn't find it googling. I was under the impression cells can be cultivated and grown in a lab.

Notwithstanding there are already multiple startups claiming to be working on serum-free lab grown meat. Seems like this problem may be solved if we keep financing research on it.

Rebatu t1_itazi2u wrote

BSA has tried to be replaced for decades now. It's a problem in research since we invented cell culturing. Im skeptical that its here just because some large companies with stakes in the matter say it is. I'll believe it when I see it.

But even if there was such culturing you would still need albumin serum replacements. The only way you can do that without using animals is with bacterial cloning for making protein sequences.

My source is me, my experience in the lab and what cell culturing looks like. Its also purely logical.

If you have to have a manufacturing process where you have to build everything from scratch and another where you don't - which is more efficient?

If I have to spend energy, water, chemicals and manpower to create BSA replacements, vitamins, amino acids, soluble minerals, buffer solutions, extremely purified water, sugars and other constituents needed to grow cells, and then grow the cells through that inefficient process, all the while spending resources towards tending to the cells, changing their solutions, keeping them in sterile environments just to make a small amount of meat then this will inevitably be more expensive.

I don't know if it's a 100 to 1, less or more, but its not more efficient than conventional means. And it will never be. It can't logically. The more steps you have in a process the more loss you will have. And cell culturing has a lot of steps.

Using plant cells and supplementing with nutrients to make it as meat is better but also has the same downsides as producing cells, just for producing supplements for the meat.