Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ezekiel_W t1_itaby5y wrote

3d printing meat is still a ways off, I would be looking to the 2030s for really good 3d printed meat and a practical price.

SoylentRox t1_itamd8q wrote

Probably is a distance away at scale but this is one of the first demos I have seen where it's even possible.
The trick here seems to be rather than try to grow a whole steak, where you have to trick biology into getting the signals it got in a cow embryo, you grow the muscle and fat separately in separate vats. And any other components.

Then turn the grown cells into something with the right consistency and adhesiveness to print, I am not sure how they do that.

ConnorGoFuckYourself t1_itbd9qf wrote

In theory if it's the same cells/physical mass as normal meat, you may be able to use meat glue to adhere it to itself. It's used for things like imitation crab and chicken nuggets.

SoylentRox t1_itcyamu wrote

Sounds less and less appetizing lol (meat glue: for fake crab and gluing pink slime together!) but yeah it'll work. Plus less cruel than killing animals.

Shelfrock77 OP t1_ital4q1 wrote

if it’s insanely cheaper, you’ll eat it with your bugs on the side

Ezekiel_W t1_itasn7x wrote

I will not eat bugs, I'll eat my neighbors before it comes to that.

gibs t1_itb8yrr wrote

You already do. They catch a ride on your food. Bugs are part of your diet.

Shelfrock77 OP t1_itasuqr wrote

Tune in to my fdvr server, I’ll be having an annual cannabilsim october fest.

Its a joke reddit, don’t put me on a watch list please

azriel777 t1_itbl7wu wrote

With the increase in price of everything, we might all go soilent green soon.

TorchOfHereclitus t1_itao3hf wrote

What exactly does this post have to do with singularly?

Down_The_Rabbithole t1_itbs11f wrote

r/futurology is just whining about the collapse of society so essentially r/singularity has become the positive version of r/futurology.

I despise it because I think there needs to be a dedicated place to discuss AI, software and hardware advancements related to the singularity. But because r/futurology is going to shit a lot of people are posting their positive minded stuff here.

ActuaryGlittering16 t1_itk8hjy wrote

I was wondering why this sub is so amazing lol. This is what futurology used to be like back in the day

[deleted] t1_itt16ea wrote

Only a matter of time before you knuckleheads wake up and realize there ain't gonna be no singularity. Shit is getting worse not better. We will all r/collapse together.

ActuaryGlittering16 t1_itt4yk7 wrote

Things are better than they’ve ever been in human history bud. Unironically get off social media for a while

[deleted] t1_itvew2p wrote

LOL climate change, resource depletion, environmental toxicity, deforestation, mass extinction. Better than ever! Stop reading Pinker bud.

ActuaryGlittering16 t1_itvlo3x wrote

And yet your quality of life is objectively better than it would have been 100 years ago. And you are objectively safer from harm. More educated. More free-thinking and independent. Free to express extreme dissent publicly. Able to connect with people all over the world. Statistically you will live much longer. Etc.

Who do you have to thank for all that? Who do you have to thank for the fact that no one can stroll into your house and take whatever they want and do whatever they want with you, free of consequence? The forests? Polar bears? Seems like you’re a thoroughbred doomer who shits all over humanity from the vantage and safety that humanity has afforded you.

Also why wouldn’t a super intelligence be able to solve those issues? How specifically will technological progress towards said superintelligence be thwarted in the next 50 years?

[deleted] t1_itwuo3r wrote

Yes our (material, not social) quality of life is better than ever right now, and it is exactly because of that that we are in global ecological overshoot. We are taking more from the earth than it can sustainably supply. It can't last. I enjoy our modern lifestyle while I can, but I recognize that this period is an historical fluke.

>How specifically will technological progress towards said superintelligence be thwarted in the next 50 years?

For starters, computers need power, and 82% of our global primary energy comes from fossil fuels that are depleting (and it is far from certain that renewable can ramp up to replace them). Next, will programmers still be working when they are starving due to climate-induced famine? No, they will be searching for food.

Global risks are increasing, and everything has to go right and nothing go wrong for your fantasy to come true. Realistically not gonna happen.

ActuaryGlittering16 t1_itx2gz2 wrote

These catastrophes aren’t going to happen in time doomerbro. Tech bros hunting for food in 2045? Not a chance. Worst case scenario, where everything you say happens, rich people will simply move to habitable areas and continue right along while the rest of us get fucked. As always the rich will survive and they’ll employ the best minds to continue striving for LEV, AGI, ASI, and the rest. You think wealthy elites don’t have alternatives in motion for every single thing you’re suggesting?

Your best bet is a Covid variant that kills 80 percent of the people it infects. Even then people will adapt, survive, and keep innovating.

Long term I’m not downplaying what you’re saying. I agree with a lot of it. I just don’t think it’s going to destroy our world before these advancements get here. I also am not sure why these tools wouldn’t solve a lot of the problems you bring up.

zero_for_effort t1_itbqcxr wrote

It's not like people can upload stories about post-singularity tech.

newandgood t1_itc2ex8 wrote

it has nothing to do with singularly (learn how to spell), but it's supporting evidence for the theory that we're on track toward singularity

TorchOfHereclitus t1_itti3uq wrote

Sorry that my auto-correct changed singularity to singularly. Crucify me if you must. I would think that once singularity occurs, there will be no need for the human body to consume carbon-based food for energy and we would be one with the machine. Or am I incorrect?

TaurusPTPew t1_itbl5mu wrote

When the Matrix is complete, when the machines run the world, we’ll be eating this…

I dunno, I got nothing but sarcasm to add.

z0rm t1_itkoe8a wrote

A lot. 3D-printed food is going to be a part of the singularity.

RiverHare t1_itar4by wrote

At the end of the day It's all about consumption and it's all about taking care of the end result: and that's your children's, children's future. Those that are in their '60's and 70's primarily will live the rest of their lives fairly decent.

But in the next 30 years things won't be anywhere near what they are now. We tend to think that food, water and healthcare, like gas prices, aren't subject to price hikes or price gouging. Unless you grow your own food, drill your own oil: then you are a small percentage.

Arizona right now is leasing out farmland and water rights to Saudi Arabia, mass Chinese investors are buying homes, in Mass, across North America, OPEC is squeezing North Americans because they can. And there's nothing the president can do about it. (*That would be any standing president)

So this really is just showing you that there will be consequences, where we need to make something different, in order to either fight back or stave off, as long as possibly, The inevitability of both climate change and those that have the means to adapt with power: to those that can't...

At some point the wave is going to be crashing over the us, but we tend to see it now as just a rise in water.

BoredGeek1996 t1_itaor9j wrote

The wall monitor screen lights up, relieving the gloom of the Megacorp Affordable Compact Housing Unit (MACHU) with an eerie green glow.

"Good morning, dear."

"Morning, JOI."

"Why don't you freshen up, hun, while I get breakfast ready."

"What's on the menu?"

"Your favourite! 3D-printed bacon!"

From the wall television speakers: Due to the recent rise in the price of animal feed and gasoline, the price of Megacorp 3D-printed Bacon (M3B) has been raised by 23%.

"Can't wait."

omegaphoenix068 t1_itayvn9 wrote

Oh sweet, new man made horrors beyond my comprehension

Protubor t1_itayaae wrote

Westworld Steak

mlecchaslayer t1_itb4i24 wrote

Typhoid,e.coli,virus and fungi outbreak will increase if they dont maintain proper hygine using that 3d meat printer and whereare they getting the collagen from human carcases

KRoadkill t1_itbojvk wrote

Provide proof it uses less resources/nutritional value than a cow.

Devanismyname t1_itd8mhw wrote

Learning to hunt so that I never have to eat this crap.

iamAliAsghar t1_itar5h1 wrote

I hope it does not have any side effects.

Rebatu t1_itasy3m wrote

It doesn't. It's perfectly safe. It's just terrible for the ecology.

As anyone who's grown cells will ever tell you.

−1

iamAliAsghar t1_itatgci wrote

I wanna know how it's bad for ecology and what can be done about it.

Rebatu t1_itay1j3 wrote

I initially thought this was cultured meat.

So my response is about that.

It's bad because growing cells from scratch will inevitably suffer more losses in production than simply feeding a cow soy and letting it graze grass on lands where fields aren't growable.

You need to first grow something from which you will extract raw resources for growing meat. Then you need to extract and grow the cells. And then structure them. All of this requires additional logistics, energy, manpower and sterile environments to work.

This is inevitably going to be more expensive for resources and energy which means for the environment.

And there's nothing that can fix it. We will sooner make conventional meat production more efficient and better regulated than make this meat efficient.

Its like saying that synthesizing a drug from 7 different chemical reactions or harvesting it directly from a growable plant will be more efficient. It will never be.

Rebatu t1_itassu2 wrote

As someone who worked with cells, 3D printed meat is horrible for the ecology

You need ten times the resources to make meat from scratch and not from a living being.

And it's never getting more ecological.

Rebatu t1_itb08ld wrote

But here's a paper detailing an analysis that kinda proves my point. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fsufs.2019.00005/full

I like it because it's well made and thorough. Most studies of this type are usually focused on beef production which is the worst possible industry for the environment. So you are often comparing the worst of the classical industry with the best possible scenario from the new industry. And the new industry usually also assumes that it will get more efficient while not assuming the same for the conventional means.

This paper is a bit more nuanced although it makes similar mistakes just to show the best case scenario for cultured meat. And it still fails in the long run.

Down_The_Rabbithole t1_itbse4z wrote

>And it's never getting more ecological.

This is objectively false. You can skip all kinds of unwanted growth and a life cycle normal animals have to undergo if you specifically focus on muscle tissue and other parts we actually want to eat and grow it as rapidly as possible.

This is also true for plants, in theory we could engineer artificial plants that grow faster, don't generate parts of the plants we don't eat/discard and have more efficient photosynthesis to become more caloric and nutrient dense.

This makes sense when you think about it. Plants and Animals weren't evolved to be eaten by us, they were evolved to be their own species to thrive and live in the world. We have no time for that so cutting out all of that and jumping directly to the food portion we are interested in inherently makes the entire process more efficient.

Rebatu t1_itfq29m wrote

>You can skip all kinds of unwanted growth and a life cycle normal animals have to undergo if you specifically focus on muscle tissue and other parts we actually want to eat and grow it as rapidly as possible.

Thats not how it works. Not one single cell works on its own. In the lab we go around this by pumping insane amounts of chemicals into the medium they grow in and change that medium regularly.

To do what you are talking about and grow a specialized cell in a isolated environment means you need to go back a few steps to feed it.

For example. Feeding a cow requires having cattle feed. This means having a few plant crops that you can grind into meal and feed the cows with. (Lets just ignore for a second that you usually dont even need that, because most of the time they can graze grass from fields that cant grow agri crops).
Growing cells requires medium. To make medium you need amino acids, several minerals, vitamins, glucose, pH buffers, pyruvate, sodium... the list goes on. Not to mention ultra pure water.

To make just sodium pyruvate, one of the parts of this list, you need to make giant fermentation broths where sugars are metabolized by genetically altered microbes to produce a liquid which is then extracted using vast amounts of organic solvents at high temperatures. This sugar is produced by a crop you need to sow, the organic molecules by oil refining and more chemical processes that use vast amounts of energy and other chemicals. All of these chemicals and electrical energy cost the ecology.
THIS IS JUST FOR ONE PURE CHEMICAL FROM THE LIST.

Now imagine this for +20 other chemicals, which all NEED to be pure otherwise your cells wont grow. And compare this with just having two crops and a grassy hill to grow a cow.

What's that? Cows also need a lot of water and electricity, not just food?

Youre right!

Cultured meat need a sterile environment, extremely well controlled conditions and tons upon tons of really pure water. Im not even talking simple destilation. It needs to be completely deionized and filtered.

Can you imagine the energy needed to keep a vat of 100's of liters of liquid always heated to 37°C? Its a lot.

You should go to a local lab and ask someone to show you how a cell culture is made.

Rebatu t1_itfqa5b wrote

You are right, plants and animals didnt evolve to be eaten by us.

But we cultivated them, directed their evolution to become as efficient as possible to be eaten by us.

The best we could with cross breeding -that is. genetic modification might change that.But then we wiill have large plants outputting nutrient dense fruit that is either directly sent to the table or grinded and turned into food patties of different shape.

Not this shit.

ravelfish t1_itc0ifh wrote

"relating to or concerned with the relation of living organisms to one another and to their physical surroundings."

but no animals die. how is that insignificant, ecologically? :(

Rebatu t1_itcycev wrote

Thats a lie. Animals die for making the medium used to culture the cells. Animals die even in plant farming, just not pigs or cattle. But insects, rats, mice, snakes, bees, small animals and everything else that gets caught in the fence. And it's not a small number.

And if you think that it's better for a rat to die than a pig then you are admitting not all life is equal. If you think all life is equal than plant farming kills more.

Its all bullshit. It's a farce to sell ideas that sound futuristic or ideologies that sound philanthropic.

If you have ten times the energy and resource expenditure then animals die, just further down the line. Where that power is made from building new power plants.

You're not reducing cruelty, you are distancing it from yourself to not feel it as much.

ravelfish t1_itcz50v wrote

That's interesting. By what way do the animals used for culturing cells die? That isn't the case for the rooster whose cells they harvested on the Netflix program about cultured meat. Same with the cows.

You speak from what sounds like the lofty confines of somebody who is frustrated with a system they are stuck in.

Ramble on all you want about the value of life, but let me ask you this: a rat, a pig and a human child are present. You can only save one. Do you feel superior in the argument that it doesn't matter which life you save, as they are all the same?

Moral relativism. Everyone needs to eat. Rats eat their own young when it is necessary. This is called nature, and it doesn't care one bit about how you feel.

Rebatu t1_itfkuev wrote

They die in the worst possible way. Of all the animal practices we do, extracting BSA - bovine serum albumin is the most gruesome. A needle is stuck into the heart of a living, freshly born calf. We do it because there is no way to avoid it and it's absolutely necessary for growing cells.

Netflix is not a good source of information. You are looking at propaganda videos made by the cell culturing industry. I actually grew them.

All life is not equal. That was the point. You save a human child. Period. All across the spectrum of animals each species puts a premium on protecting their own over others, only in humans we have idiots that think saving a cow is better than saving children from starvation.

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote.

ravelfish t1_itgf6d7 wrote

Maybe you should lose the condescension and then we can have a nice conversation like nice people. :) :) :)

I understand the issue is an emotionally deep one, but i'm not the one sticking needles into baby cow hearts. You are. Right? Perhaps some of this hostility is internal, turned out.

Netflix is great! I disagree. And while it's rough to have a needle stuck into one's heart, my husband and I have both had the unfortunate experience. It sucks, but we both lived.

And that's that. Unless you all euthanized the baby cow after the procedure?

I'd say maybe you should consider a career that is more sustainable for your positive mental health. This one is doing a number on your soul.

Rebatu t1_itghbd3 wrote

Look at this armchair psychologist.

The only thing making me angry here is the amount of people on this thread that gulp up corporate propaganda on Netflix and that never took the time to actually learn something new, like how difficult it is to grow cells.

There is almost nothing smart on Netflix. 90% of the documentaries there are in the very least inaccurate. At worst, straight up lies.

ravelfish t1_itgq1k1 wrote

Look at you, raging about the very industry you participate in. 🤔 Yet for all your rebuttals, you're very reluctant for a redditor to provide any tangible citations yourself.

Just out here being loud, rude, and in a delusion of moral superiority while sticking needles into baby cows and rambling on about how you are the only one who gets it.

Yeah, that's not indictative of a stable mind.

Angry_Grandpa_ t1_iteboda wrote

I think the focus of this type of meat production should be for space stations or other hard to reach locations where growing it conventionally is impossible.

Rebatu t1_itfk6ot wrote

It would be only more convenient because you can ship the liquids for the medium in a box onto a space station, while you can't do that with a chicken as easily. But I think you underestimate the size of the facility needed to make a sufficient production of meat for the astronauts. And it will be nutritionally inferior to real meat that you can also ship in a box and launch it towards a space station.

mlecchaslayer t1_itb4m3t wrote

These will be used in processed food industries like burger pizza stores,street food etc

Rebatu t1_itb9aym wrote

How does that make it different? Its still made the same way and still wastes resources

spottyfox t1_itavhva wrote

Let me know when they can print beef wellingtons.

footurist t1_itb31zt wrote

Unfortunately I think not many meat lovers will opt for this, only mostly the ones that would have already accepted today's common meat alternatives or even just simply to refrain from meat entirely. Not to speak of the purists.

This is a noble attempt but if you really want to eliminate meat consumption for the sake of the planet and the poor animals then you need to come up with something that Gordon Ramsay could not distinguish from a freshly grilled high quality steak.

What a task...

mimavox t1_itbk3l5 wrote

Ooh, a replicator!

azriel777 t1_itbl472 wrote

It all depends on the taste and price. If it is more expensive than regular meat then people will stick with real meat. Also, if it does not taste as good as real meat, people will also stick with real meat. I gave beyond meat a chance, but the taste was not as good as the real deal, so I gave up on it and went back to regular meat.

BDonlon t1_itbpsar wrote

3D Printed Soylent Green Burger Vs 3D Printed Bug Burger

Rhenthalin t1_itbyzsl wrote

Isn't that how chicken nuggets are basically made

grandparodeo t1_itcdhuw wrote

This is a lot of effort to go through to just avoid eating vegetables.

Katten_elvis t1_itd65n0 wrote

This is awesome. Why is everyone in the comments so negative about this exactly?

User1539 t1_itd66sf wrote

I generally believe the story, but this video looks like a teenager is 3D printing yarn and calling it meat.

These things tend to move very quickly, even exponentially, so I'm sure if they're trying, they'll get there, and sooner than you think.

But, please, stop showing this video. It makes it looks like we're much further away than we probably are.

priscilla_halfbreed t1_itef5iw wrote

If it tastes good then sure I'll have some.

Morningstar veggie burgers are good but not my favorite/a daily thing

Primus_Pilus1 t1_itet8yx wrote

My litmus test for 3D printed meat. It contracts when you apply a zinc/copper wire combo to it.

mtfanon999 t1_itanq6v wrote

Probably ok for hot dogs and chicken nuggets etc but if it’s anything like beyond burger it just tastes like a shit imitation of the real thing, there is no way this could ever compare to decent steak. Having said that once price comes down it would probably be better and more reliable than cheap / tough beef.

kasiotuo t1_itb777h wrote

Vegan nuggets at burger king are already good enough tbh.. imo you don't need a lab meat variant

duffmanhb t1_itbfy36 wrote

You have to realize it'll never be 1:1 the same. It's not possible. It's like drinking Sunny D and complaining that it's not as good as real orange juice. However, Sunny D is still a decent enough alternative that's cheap and tastes decent.

I think plant meat will go the same route if they can get it cheaper than meat. If it can adequately replace meat and be good enough, people will go towards it. Animal based meat will be seen as the better, but much more expensive version.

Coloradobluesguy t1_itbg3en wrote

I’m sorry I enjoy meat, I’m not willing to change what’s been done for millennia

−3

daltonoreo t1_itaap7g wrote

Looks awful, ill stick the real thing

−4

Clone406 t1_itaspti wrote

you know what els looks awful ? the way animals are treated in the meat industry

TheHamsterSandwich t1_itat5ko wrote

the animals deserve better! they are stupid but they do not deserve to be slaughter, in such unhumane way.

I am for the peace of the animal upvote if agree with me.

laklan t1_itb3d3c wrote

I would debate that animals suffer from PTSD and other mental illnesses when held in factory farms that dehumanizes them and it "makes" them stupid. If I were held in a cell and tortured with the smell of filth, blood, and death around me, i would be dehumanized real quick. Like the difference between a feral dog that is mangy and will bite you, versus a cute fluffy pet that is well taken care of, and will snuggle up for a warm nights sleep.

kmtrp t1_itb8i3w wrote

^This.

A humane death is nor good or bad for any animal, but suffering... we need to end that crap.

Rebatu t1_itb9la7 wrote

None of your ever had farms and it shows

−2

Rebatu t1_itb9gkw wrote

93% of all global farms are family owned medium or small sized farms. Not factory farms. And most of our meat comes from them. Source: FAO

−7

Rebatu t1_itb9k31 wrote

It's an animal. A chicken doesn't even know it's being slaughtered. I slaughter chicken myself. The rest of them continue eating as if I didn't cut off a chick head a literal 60 cm from their feed.

−4

ReallyBadWizard t1_itc6z22 wrote

If I cut your head off and no one is around to hear it, is it even cruel?

Rebatu t1_itcxg1t wrote

It is. Because I'm human, not a chicken

Edit: why does that frustrate you? Because I'm right?

daltonoreo t1_itavpig wrote

Tastes pretty good though

−1

Tavrin t1_itb1jen wrote

I invite you to watch this, most powerful documentary I have ever seen, it changed me.

Man I can't wait for the development of slaughter free lab grown meat that tastes exactly like the real deal. It will be a game changer.

Rebatu t1_itb9djp wrote

This is a propaganda movie no one here bothered to fact check

Tavrin t1_itbewma wrote

You can call it propaganda (since the goal is indeed to incite people to at least eat less meat) but the imagery is still real and pretty shocking/gruesome. It does an admirable job at making people discover the suffering behind the meat industry.

Rebatu t1_itfl163 wrote

The problem is not that its propaganda, but that its factually incorrect and out of context.

daltonoreo t1_itb4ior wrote

Oh I know what they do to animals, no need to remind me. But honestly i don't really care

−2

Tavrin t1_itbfbyx wrote

I've got to say, that's too bad. This subreddit is about the singularity, where we all hope that technological advancements will end suffering, poverty, food related issues, labour etc...

Can't we also hope that this future and technological advances will also end animal suffering by making it unnecessary (with the creation of fake meat that is as good or even better than real meat) ? Since we all hope that technology will make the human condition better, can't we hope the same for other species ?

HealthyWaterfall t1_itb4oh8 wrote

It will look like and taste exactly like the real thing in less than 10 years

ledocteur7 t1_itb9m3i wrote

honestly, the only reason I haven't switched to vegetarian ""meat"" is because it's more expensive and tho the way we treat live stock is absolutely horrendous, I don't give enough of a shit to switch. (I do occasionally like a cereal patty, it changes from good ol' meat and goes well with a lot of stuff.)

but hey, if it tastes the same and is at the same price or even cheaper than natural meat, I'll switch without hesitation, I don't even care if it looks weird if the taste and texture is here.

​

I can see why some people might not like lab grown stuff, but is it really much different than animals being packed together and stuffed with anti-biotic ? (outside of the absence of unneeded suffering)

if anything, it's probably healthier to eat lab-grown meat than cheap natural meat.

TorchOfHereclitus t1_itadcc4 wrote

Lmfao. Just eat real meat. It's superior in every aspect (especially nutritional value) than meat alternatives. Our bodies and systems are designed to eat meat and other animal products as well as vegetables. Only humans would do something ridiculous like this in a world of abundance.

−23

I-Ponder t1_itag636 wrote

Not really bro these are literally proteins being manipulated into a shape. Your statement is ignorant. They’re using real meat, it’s just not an animal being slaughtered but a protein being multiplied, to the same result,

But I suppose if you prefer suffering and that adds to your satisfaction, then maybe it’s not up to your standards.

Rebatu t1_itatz80 wrote

Hi, I'm a biotech major and a scientist. This meat is made by using large vats of cultured cells. Specifically, muscle fiber cells. To get the same nutritional value as real meat you would need to have each type of cell usually present in an animal muscle. Which is difficult to even know, let alone develop, grow (some cells are harder to grow than others) and structure into a muscle replacement.

I don't like OPs naturalistic bs. Proteins are the same if synthesized or cut out of the cow. But this slab of printed mush is not nutritionally equivalent to real meat. Proteins aren't the only thing you require from meat. It's in fact the least important thing on it. You can get protein from plants too, you can't get, however, several important vitamins, iron, carnitine and fatty acids that are simply not produced by muscle cells alone.

And if we do ever make such a real replicas it will be incredibly taxing for the environment.

The Amazon will have to burn down at twice the rate.

TorchOfHereclitus t1_itai1vk wrote

Not once did they mention real meat in their ingredients. Both red meat and white meat have nutritional value that cannot be matched through plant proteins, and the bio-availability for your body to process and use those plant proteins is inferior to animal protein. Not to mention soy isn't that healthy in frequent servings, especially if you're a male as it raises estrogen levels. I'm a nutritionist and my statements aren't ignorant "bro". Plant proteins can be beneficial, but the function of plants in our diet isn't to serve protein needs, but other needs like vitamins, fiber, potassium, etc. This is why its bio-availability is significantly less. You can manipulate proteins into any shape you want, and that's fine. It still doesn't compare to the nutritional value of meat like protein, fat, naturally occurring creatine, essential amino acids, etc.

But I suppose if you prefer sitting on some sort of moral superiority throne behind your keyboard calling bros ignorant, then maybe it's above your standard.

−11

I-Ponder t1_itai8bs wrote

They aren’t using plant proteins. They’re literally lab grown meat/animal proteins. Did you do no research? Proteins can be multiplied.

You need to read into the article instead of digesting a title.

SoylentRox t1_itamong wrote

Remember those biology classes they made you take when you trained to be a nutritionist?

I mean you do have a degree, right?

Well in those classes they probably taught you that cells grow together into organs. A chunk of 'steak' from a cow is part of a muscle organ.

So if you grew the same cells in a vat, probably in separate vats, one for each cell type - and assembled the cells into the same geometric shape as the organ - then the nutritional value will be the same.

Or slightly better - you can manipulate very easily the kind of fat the adipose cells make, right. Cows don't make enough omega-3 fatty acids but there is no reason your lab grown version has to work that way. Just edit the genes slightly so you get the fat ratio you want.

This would be better then. As a nutritionist you'd have to start putting people on a fish/lentils/lab grown beef diet.

TorchOfHereclitus t1_itanrmi wrote

That's an interesting theory. Not so certain that the nutritional value would be the same if it just had the same cells and same geometric shape, but I get where you're going with it. There's just something about an organ or tissues in the body that are grown and developed that we haven't nailed down yet in replicating it, but we'll get there eventually. I'm also deeply interested in genetic engineering, and hope to see the day where we could make superior meat artificially, among other leaps and bounds we could make.

−5

SoylentRox t1_itav3hc wrote

>that we haven't nailed down yet in replicating it, but we'll get there eventually

So that's not how this works. You can grind up the real muscle tissue and the fake muscle tissue and assay out how much of each amino acid and how much of each lipid type is in the sample.

At this point you can modify the genes for the lab grown cells until it has the nutritional profile you want. If it exactly matches the beef steak sample, it is nutritionally the same. It doesn't matter the path taken to grow it.

AsthmaBeyondBorders t1_itaeb03 wrote

> world of abundance

Proceeds to complain about Brazil burning the Amazon (hint: it is mostly for producing meat that is sold outside of Brazil).

Rebatu t1_itau7dx wrote

Artificial meat uses BSA to grow it.

Do you know the only way possible of obtaining this BSA? An unavoidable resource for growing meat.

They need to stab a baby calf in the heart to extract it. They use cows for their production, it's just further down the line.

−1

ThroawayBecauseIsuck t1_itauhqm wrote

How is that related? This video isn't lab grown meat, it is "beyond meat" on a printer.

Rebatu t1_itav7ne wrote

I didn't gather it was Beyond meat.

But plant based meat substitutes are notoriously lacking in vital nutrients that you usually get from animals. Unless Beyond is directly supplementing the B12, carnitine and iron

ThroawayBecauseIsuck t1_itavol2 wrote

Many industrialized foods are artificially enriched I don't see why vegetarian meat couldn't be. And even if it wasn't, purchasing B12 supplements and ingesting them is not more trouble than purchasing meat, cooking and ingesting it, unless you raise cows to eat in your property yourself.

And even if this was lab grown meat, the problem tou brought up with only means it isn't 100% better but the proportion isn't killing one calf to yield the same as one cow.

Rebatu t1_itawa8x wrote

The proportion is killing 100 calfs to make the equivalent of 1 cow in meat. What the hell are you talking about?

Have you ever grown cells?

ThroawayBecauseIsuck t1_itaxrkd wrote

I would be happy if you could link a source for the proportion because I am interested. Not that I don't believe you I just really want to know and I couldn't find it googling. I was under the impression cells can be cultivated and grown in a lab.

Notwithstanding there are already multiple startups claiming to be working on serum-free lab grown meat. Seems like this problem may be solved if we keep financing research on it.

Rebatu t1_itazi2u wrote

BSA has tried to be replaced for decades now. It's a problem in research since we invented cell culturing. Im skeptical that its here just because some large companies with stakes in the matter say it is. I'll believe it when I see it.

But even if there was such culturing you would still need albumin serum replacements. The only way you can do that without using animals is with bacterial cloning for making protein sequences.

My source is me, my experience in the lab and what cell culturing looks like. Its also purely logical.

If you have to have a manufacturing process where you have to build everything from scratch and another where you don't - which is more efficient?

If I have to spend energy, water, chemicals and manpower to create BSA replacements, vitamins, amino acids, soluble minerals, buffer solutions, extremely purified water, sugars and other constituents needed to grow cells, and then grow the cells through that inefficient process, all the while spending resources towards tending to the cells, changing their solutions, keeping them in sterile environments just to make a small amount of meat then this will inevitably be more expensive.

I don't know if it's a 100 to 1, less or more, but its not more efficient than conventional means. And it will never be. It can't logically. The more steps you have in a process the more loss you will have. And cell culturing has a lot of steps.

Using plant cells and supplementing with nutrients to make it as meat is better but also has the same downsides as producing cells, just for producing supplements for the meat.