Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Swannie69 t1_j9lhpbr wrote

Would it be possible to get these measurements and weights in units of Corgis and baby Elephants?

IAm-The-Lawn t1_j9lplxq wrote

No. It was the size of 1/10th of an adult female giraffe, though, and weighed approximately 1/3rd of an adult hippo.

KAKrisko t1_j9ltmt6 wrote

It's approximately 35.71 adult, male corgis, provided they are not overweight. Also, Disapproving Corgis may add gravitas to the equation and therefore you would need fewer of them.

1-N-Only-Speedshark t1_j9n7xn0 wrote

We ONLY use overweight corgis in my part of the world. Would that affect the equation at all?

KAKrisko t1_j9okse3 wrote

Oh gosh, these different metrics around the world - I can't keep up with 'em! Guess I'm just old-fashioned, I can only think in 28-pound corgis!

DraziBlack t1_j9mrd8q wrote

I don't know, how many giraffes is that?

goldmund22 t1_j9n4bez wrote

Need to clarify by providing the approximate weight in football fields or the Empire State Building

Username912773 t1_j9o7kng wrote

I’ve seen two comments asking for corgis and baby elephants now, why these two units of measurement?

festibass808 t1_j9n844q wrote

C'mon now, everyone knows the standard unit of measurement is bananas

rocky20817 t1_j9lakao wrote

I keep seeing this story and it remains unclear: are they estimating that this was its size when it entered the atmosphere, or upon striking the earth?

Archelon_ischyros t1_j9nqhbq wrote

It was the size of a corgi and weighed as much as 4 baby elephants, if that clarifies things.

jered6323 t1_j9nsvq9 wrote

More proof the US really will use anything except the metric system.

MrHarryBawlz t1_j9nvs3d wrote

Listen, pal, that opinion weighs about 4 sippy cups of bacon grease around my parts.

TonyDungyHatesOP t1_j9nxkh9 wrote

Sounds delicious.

Source: am American

MugillacuttyHOF37 t1_j9p0zqd wrote

They sell those at the Piggly Wiggly and they're call Baby Bacon Squeezes.

Just $12.99 for a 4 pack.

Mordocaster t1_j9pj6du wrote

I imagine it’s like a gogurt but just has bacon grease in it

Skyrimmerz t1_j9pv87v wrote

Why do you have 4 sippy cups of bacon grease around your parts?

TbonerT t1_j9ok3c8 wrote

I feel like either my math is off or something in the article is off. That gives it a density 4 times higher than lead.

LukeNukeEm243 t1_j9lhhkn wrote

That was its estimated size and weight before entering the Earth's atmosphere. It broke apart at an altitude of 21 miles according to this Facebook post that contains the full NASA statement.

rocky20817 t1_j9m9ajl wrote

That’s what I thought but most media reports make it sound otherwise

kemh t1_j9ofog4 wrote

The media does not excel at science reporting.

wedontlikespaces t1_j9p3gy8 wrote

So it didn't in fact, in anynway, hit Texas. Which I suppose explains the complete lack of a giant crater which I found suspicious.

There is bad science reporting and then there is straight up lying.

Dismal-Philosopher-4 t1_j9lk4u9 wrote

This thing was like half a meter big at most and most of it burnt up. We are not launching anything to space to find these, and we'll probably never will. Media trying to sensationalise some tiny meteorites again lately.

WendigoWeiner t1_j9pe0oz wrote

Absolutely true but I'll take the uninformed existential anxiety for more space missions.

BigFattyOne t1_j9lpop4 wrote

I’n sick and tired and I first read the title as “Nasa confirms 1000m meteorite slammed into Texas”

I was like oh well, GG

Careful_Chocolate_98 t1_j9o2q9b wrote

That’s a little rude. I would never celebrate people dying wether I liked them or not.

−3

Username912773 t1_j9o7fer wrote

I don’t think that’s what he was doing… if he meant miles it would’ve meant the end of civilization, if he meant a 1 kilometer meteorite it still has the potential to devastate human life globally.

I think more of what he meant was “oh well, I had a good run.”

PianoMan2112 t1_j9mx7o9 wrote

Holy crap that is the clickbaitiest fake image I’ve ever seen. Because everyone can take an HUDF image with their camera by the lake.

Averydispleasedbork t1_j9n78zp wrote

Its a warning from the universe for texas to chill the fuck out

[deleted] t1_j9kwvvy wrote

[removed]

redditor1101 t1_j9kxypn wrote

It's probably a Chinese spy meteorite

Javirare98 t1_j9l46yn wrote

That’s weird, how did all the guns not scare it away?

The_Bald t1_j9l4jim wrote

The only way to stop a bad meteorite with a gun is a good meteorite with a gun.

SweetSexyJesus t1_j9mbknh wrote

I don't know. I've been shooting mine in the air consistently since 2021

digitalbilly t1_j9m4wtk wrote

1000lb where are the photos of this massive rock?

Beginning_Engineer_2 t1_j9rithg wrote

Next thing the government will start warning us about the potential of some killer pandemic virus. /s

bad_syntax t1_j9ok166 wrote

PLEASE tell me it landed on Greg Abbott!

Otherwise, its a really big state, and probably landed somewhere really unimportant.

Fit_Gazelle_8857 t1_j9paxck wrote

No, that was the super saiyans returning from namak with the dragons’ balls… hehe

TheOutlawStarLord t1_j9ph4i0 wrote

Breaking: Gov Abbot blames meteor strike in Texas for letting in more illegal immigrants AND shutting down the power grid. Demands Biden personally come and clean up the mess.