Submitted by PalPubPull t3_126z49e in springfieldMO

Just a heads up.

Based on the recent updates it seems we are less likely than a few days ago to experience a tornado, but always good to have a game plan.

Based on a few reports from who I consider respected storm chasers and meteorologists, tomorrow has the atmospheric ingredients to be a really bad day. It doesn't look awful for us and is unlikely but if you know anyone around Memphis TN or Peoria IL, personally I would contact them to have a game plan. But just as important, it wouldn't hurt to contact neighbors or friends with a basement and ask if you could come over for a bit if things get ugly. Kind of a famous quote, "don't be scared, be prepared".

Our area has a relatively low chance of tornadic activity due to when the storm is moving in (still very possible), but I've been messaging family and friends when I normally don't based on the outlook for tomorrow.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Maxwyfe t1_jebq6ea wrote

I'm someone who likes to stand outside with a cold drink and a pair of binoculars during tornado season, but if you're nervous, make sure you have weather alert notifications set for your phone.

Maybe make a little bug out bag - spare set of clothes, flashlights, energy drinks and some water for your car.

Might not be a bad time to review/update your homeowner's insurance. Put all that stuff in a secure, heavy, locked box. Make a list in your phone of your insurance policy numbers and download and install that company's app if it's available.

Make a list of your medications and your doctor's name and number. Make the same list for your elderly parents and your kids.

Make sure you have a rally point or meeting place if your family is separated during a storm and if your phones aren't working. Make sure everyone knows if the house is demolished, to meet at this church or the school or Grandma's house. Make sure it's someplace everyone can find, even with a lot of landmarks and street signs missing.

It's maybe just a good time of the year to think about family safety in general and make a plan in case of any disaster or emergency.

Moriartea7 t1_jebrfby wrote

Charge up your phones and fill up your gas tanks, have some spending cash on hand also. If we don't have tornadic bad weather, extended power outages are a pain.

Maxwyfe t1_jebxrvn wrote

And blankets. Blankets, blankets, blankets. You never have enough. They are so useful for comfort and shelter and moving injured people and covering up people. If your house does not survive the wind, your clothes will not either.

Stash some blankets.

Funky_Farkleface t1_jebw0sm wrote

Just wanted to expound on your good comment: cash on hand is good because if there are widespread, sustained power outages ATMs don’t work and any business that can open will be cash-only. (Source: am from all over the Gulf Coast and been through this exact scenario with Katrina.)

ProgressMom68 t1_jecoopw wrote

My best tip: If KTTS is still playing music, we’re safe.

Successful-Ice9127 t1_jecwu6f wrote

Remember when they interview you…you saw it, not seen it.

doglessinseattle t1_jecrjrb wrote

Survivor of the Joplin F5 chiming in... If shit gets real have a bike helmet (or any kind of helmet) ready to strap on.

Bitmush- t1_jebyd2g wrote

If you hear a siren make sure you and your kids have got your shoes on.

youngpunk420 t1_jec3hnc wrote

I live in an apartment. I'm on the bottom floor at least. But it still seems like if a tornado destroyed the apartment building things could fall on me. Like boards and nails.

I wish I knew of a basement or underground shelter I could run to if I needed it. I know you're supposed to be on the bottom floor, towards the center of the building. But that still leaves a lot up to chance. Is there anything I could go to to be safer? I don't know anyone with a shelter I could use. There should be a public one.

PalPubPull OP t1_jec605n wrote

There are public ones. I used to live on the south side of town, and the two closest were diventures and the library center.

What side of town do you live on?

I imagine there's one close by. As far as I'm aware I think our greatest risk is earlier on, so most businesses should be open in the event we have a tornado.

https://sgfcitizen.org/weather/public-tornado-shelters-in-springfield-who-can-use-them-how-to-get-there/

mangogetter t1_jeesn9f wrote

The problem is that the time from "you need to get to shelter" to "you need to be in shelter" is generally minutes. It's safer to be in the safest part of where you already are than to try to get to a safer place during the storm.

Doubleucommadj t1_jechmve wrote

Srsly, where are you? There is a tornado shelter on the MSU campus next to the Sunvilla Tower at JQH and Elm. It's also been built within the last ~5 years, so it's gonna be up to snuff.

tuhboggen t1_jecgqr0 wrote

Don’t sleep nekked tonight!!!

Advanced_Car1599 t1_jecblav wrote

Milk and bread! Milk and bread!

PalPubPull OP t1_jecbt3t wrote

There are two things I hate. Milk and bread, and tornadoes. And I'm all out of milk and bread.

Wait...fuck.

Scotch_Tape231 t1_jebsfvn wrote

That’s crazy that you mentioned Peoria. I went through the one that hit that area back in 2013, so I understand tornados.

My only big advice is to just know where you will go if it does hit. That’s really it. Keep updated on the happenings, have a loose game plan, and you will be fine. Tornados are nothing to sneeze at, but it also doesn’t do you any good to be terrified.

LilSisterCumGutters t1_jec2w70 wrote

I live downtown so let’s just hope these buildings hold

Doubleucommadj t1_jechuvg wrote

Just commented on another reply, but there is a public shelter at MSU at JQH and Elm.

matramepapi t1_jecnfyj wrote

Ugh. I hope not. I have to work 1-9 tomorrow and I have two cats in my apartment.

Redditor_PC t1_jef9hqm wrote

Well...anyone get even a drop of rain? Gorgeous out here.

KENNY-southpark t1_jecd2rh wrote

Thank god, i don’t wanna go to school tomorrow

−3

PalPubPull OP t1_jecetsn wrote

Will they call school for this? I wouldn't have thought so. Also scholl is a good thing for many reasons... If nothing else, they might have a better shelter than home. We might end up at a school if things get bad!

Stay safe