Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

meganfrau t1_iw9mn54 wrote

If you find out, that would be awesome.

pandasweatshirt t1_iw9p9r2 wrote

you may want to make sure your insurance will cover it if cost is an issue, but i’m pretty sure you can request any doctor to do that assuming they have the proper requirements in their office. alternatively, i’m also pretty sure they have a medicine you can take to relax your cervix, but i read that it takes a few days for the effects to work, so you might look into that option with your doctor as well!

Emerald_Honey t1_iwa25ai wrote

Dr. Ting at Springfield OB-GYN. He tied my tubes with no protest. He's amazing ☺️

Use_the_Loofah t1_iwad6rf wrote

Why do you want to be put under for a procedure that takes all of 10 minutes? I was directed by my doctor to take a heavy dose of Ibuprofen 2 hours beforehand (I'm talking 800mg), and take the rest of the day off of work to deal with any cramping and discomfort afterwards. I can't think of any reason why getting an iud would require the risks of going under general anesthesia. If you're simply anxious about the procedure your doctor may be able to prescribe Xanax or something similar to take beforehand. Edit: I made some pretty awful assumptions, and I apologize.

−12

HappyGoIdiot OP t1_iwadl1m wrote

I've had it done before. I did 800 MG two hours before. I passed out during insertion because it hurt so badly. After that I didn't have much issues with spotting or cramping but the idea of going through it again scares me as has for the past several months.

HappyGoIdiot OP t1_iwadztx wrote

I may! My doctor said she couldn't back when I had my first one placed and it was literally the worst pain I've felt up to that point and since then. And that was with ibuprofen 2 hours before on her recommendation.

A little pinch my ass

Use_the_Loofah t1_iwafkqu wrote

Wow, I'm sorry that it was that painful for you! I never realized it would be like that for some people. I guess I'm just lucky that it didn't feel like anything more than severe cramps. I suppose the first thing you should do is check if your insurance covers general anesthesia. It might be cost prohibitive otherwise.

HappyGoIdiot OP t1_iwag1el wrote

I figured. The first time, the gyno acted like it wasn't even an option when my friend was about to get anesthesia for it while in her home country and was horrified it's not standard here.

HappyGoIdiot OP t1_iwagha2 wrote

Also thank you for apologizing it means a lot. Some people still act like it's no big deal even after I tell them about the first round. Again. Next to nothing after the fact. That 10 minute procedure was HELL.

Apprehensive-Wing894 t1_iwagmyf wrote

>n't back when I had my first one placed and it was literally the worst pain I've felt up to that point and since th

That's so strange, I've dated two women that got an IUD that said it was uncomfortable but the pain was minor. I wonder what causes it to be more painful for you?

If they can't or it's too expensive to put you under perhaps they would be ok if you had some liquid courage in you before, help manage any pain during?

−9

sgf-guy t1_iwaq531 wrote

I wanted to be put out for scalp cyst removal after having been knocked out for a kidney biopsy. Couldn’t find a doc who would do it.

Truly knocking you out versus local pain a aesthetic or a wisdom teeth loopy pills is a big difference medically.

Take the pills or the shot and you won’t even know it happened.

Presentminnow t1_iwarex7 wrote

IDK any doctors who would do general anesthesia for something like that, but if you haven't already I'd explore smaller IUD options. I'm a really small guy and they decided to go with Kyleena instead of Mirena, and that alone probably kept me in the "little pinch" zone instead of full on screaming pain. My friend was in your situation and on take 2 opted for a smaller IUD and a quicker doctor and I think it went a lot better. If you're opting for a copper IUD though then you're out of luck on getting a smaller one. Those suckers are huge.

Goge97 t1_iwasqrr wrote

Male physicians are trained that the cervix has no pain receptors and women can tolerate pain better than men. They are fools if they believe it.

Women physicians should know better. I had a cervical biopsy and was given an injection (lidocaine?) in my cervix and didn't feel anything.

Please discuss options for local anesthetics with your doctor.

Dentists don't even drill a cavity without novacaine, for heaven's sake!

poorwug t1_iwbp8w0 wrote

I just had a horrible removal experience (look up a tenucula- the tool they use to PIERCE your cervix during insertion/removal- if you want to be real angry about the minimization of women’s pain in gynecological procedures) and I won’t have this new one removed without at least a paracervical block. And a xanax. I am really hoping in the eight years until I have to have this thing pulled again, things will change.

mango_mermaid t1_iwbudqs wrote

I know nothing of birth control but I wonder if insurance companies will try to get you for anesthesia not being “medically necessary” I would talk to my doctor and make sure it was being put down as it was

passwordis_tacocat t1_iwbv317 wrote

I just had an IUD placed (Mirena) by my PCP, Dr. Lauren Branham with Cox. My OBGYN didn’t want to try bc she thought placement would be difficult due to the fact I tense up during exams. Dr. Branham said she would be happy to try and prescribed me buspirone to help me relax before insertion. It was honestly less painful than my Pap smears or a cervical check if you’ve given birth. I’m not sure if she would be able to put you under but it wouldn’t hurt to ask and let her know your experience. She is always very understanding and a good problem solver.

Use_the_Loofah t1_iwbztuu wrote

Yeah, I immediately thought of my two prior experiences with general anesthesia (the aftermath was not good - I was vomiting and extremely out of it for at least a full day) and was thinking why would anyone want to feel like that for something that is over so quickly. Sorry again for my assumptions.

jackie_wiggiwoo t1_iwc3rph wrote

I had an IUD placed under general but not by choice. The dr was unable to place it. I will say it was expensive as hell so I would avoid it unless your insurance deductible is super low.

BaroquenLarynx t1_iwc5yws wrote

That's amazing. When my partner got her IUD with a different provider, she was asked to bring me. They asked a bunch of, "are you okay with this as a couple," questions. It genuinely felt like they were trying to lure me into saying no.

Her body, her choice.

OxRox1993 t1_iwcib0q wrote

Not all male drs are trained like that. I’ve had biopsies done and my male dr asked if I wanted numbing meds. My female obgyn was awful. Just saying

Emerald_Honey t1_iwcsk2i wrote

Yeah no he didn't do that at all.

Dr.Ting: "No babies." Me: "Yeup. DT: "You sure?" M: "Very sure." DT: pause "How many percent sure?" M: "1,000%." DT: pause, then thumbs up "You tough cookie."

And then bam! I had an appt 2w later for tubal ligation 🙌🏻

Wendypeffy t1_iwcvxbq wrote

If they have a suspicion that you are inebriated to any degree any ethical doctor will refuse to treat you for an elective procedure. performing elective procedures on clients who are under the influence is malpractice.

sheogoraths-bitch t1_iwd5hm5 wrote

Mine too! My friend who got hers before me said the pain was almost nothing, but I almost blacked out and couldn’t drive home for almost three hours. Then the after cramps almost made me get it removed.

igolikethis t1_iwdrdfi wrote

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt my OB HIGHLY downplayed the pain of IUD insertion. Jesus. She told me it would feel like "really bad period cramps." No it felt like my cervix was stabbed. Ibuprofen didn't do shit.

QueenMiza t1_iwdwuj5 wrote

I wasn’t offered anything or really even warned about how bad getting my Mierna was gonna be. Almost puked afterwards driving home from the pain and had horrible cramps for a week afterwards. Went thru Mercy with an NP who is no longer there.

cougarliscious t1_iwmaugk wrote

(((Raises hand))) got Kyleena 3 years ago, had one very crampy period right after and nothing 👏 since 👏 then! I am annoyed I didn't do this many years ago. Pro tip, any leftover pain meds or Xanax at home, have someone drive and take you, but take something an hour prior to insertion. Dr. would only Rx 600 mg ibuprofen saying I "didn't need" anything stronger which is why I raided my own medicine cabinet before my procedure.