Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Conscious_Figure_554 t1_j8uokfo wrote

Thanks for the information - I did not know that so thanks. IF that is the case then do you think the adoption rate will not be blocked by the Government? What I mean is that as I assume you are a Texan - do you see your local government officials welcome this adoption with open arms and is gearing the populace towards said adoption?

tilhow2reddit t1_j8wocdu wrote

Actual Texan here. Cities like Houston are trying to go 100% renewable with their energy consumption (investing in solar farms, and or purchasing only renewable energy for city buildings, parks, projects, etc.)

At the state level you’re unlikely to see a similar approach adopted because there’s entirely too much O&G money with too much influence in that arena.

But you also won’t see much interference because that would be telling Texas landowners what they can and can’t build on their massive ranches in West Texas. Out in the Permian Basin, where there’s nothing but miles and miles of miles and miles. The area is hot, dry, flat, and sees the sun more often than most other places on earth. It’s ripe for wind and solar. And as the oil out there dries up, that barren land will be used for something.

Conscious_Figure_554 t1_j8xnd7l wrote

Thanks. I like being proven wrong with facts. Yep Ly comment was reactionary but I think setting me straight with actual facts to change my mind is great.

ThePrince14 t1_j8upa86 wrote

It depends how you look at the adoption rate. Texas has been and will continue to be (at least in the short to medium term) very oil and gas friendly because it contributes a massive amount to their economy.

So is Texas going to go out of their way to ban oil and gas to prop up renewables, like California? Hell no. They’re going to continue encouraging investment in an industry that has allowed them to become the second biggest economy in the country. But they also aren’t going to discourage investment in renewables in the state because any investment in the state is a good thing.

Edit: Since you edited your post to add that last question - I am not from Texas, I just choose to try and actually educate myself instead of parroting the same BS everyone posts in every Reddit thread.

Conscious_Figure_554 t1_j8v8ehm wrote

Again thanks. Hopefully the adoption is easier. As much as I do not like what the politicians are doing to any state, they (the politicians) are never really affected. It’s the citizenry that gets fucked every time.