Submitted by lostsoul2016 t3_1224wtf in television

It's both awesome and scary at the same time. Just finished 3rd Episode and loving it. Love the imagination and details put on it. And satire on religion, our petty needs, greed, land grab, clima-terrorism, fake relationships and more...are just so well portrayed. Awesome cast as well.

Apple TV is pushing for great content.

Edit: Extrapolations*

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

danksformutton t1_jdour6c wrote

I thought it was an awesome concept with awful writing and an awful delivery.

ivanpkaramazov t1_jdplnry wrote

The third episode was especially so dull and unnecessary. While there was so much to focus on about climate change the whole religious focus was weird

Automatic_Randomizer t1_jds6ikq wrote

> religious focus was weird

I thought so too, and wondered if it might come up later in the series.

Now, I'm thinking the whole episode was to set up the moral quandary faced by good people. Shut down the homeless shelter or save the synagogue. If so, that was kind of a long walk just to say that everything is a trade-off.

lostsoul2016 OP t1_jdouwxg wrote

I don't think so. Your mileage may have varied. I'd encourage you to watch the show what it conveys rather than it's technicalities. Story telling on 1st and 3rd episodes were great.

−16

ishtar_the_move t1_jdw66l0 wrote

The consensus seems to be this is one of the worst shows in recent years. Apparently not a lot of people enjoy being talk down to by bunch of private jets celebrities.

theodo t1_je47igj wrote

One of the worst shows in recent years is such an insane statement when you consider how much actually horrible stuff gets released.

danksformutton t1_jdow49r wrote

I was just hoping for like, less talking whales and musical numbers. The goring was hilarious though.

mudman13 t1_jdrj0oe wrote

>less talking whales

Well now I want to watch it!

openew t1_jdowoij wrote

Production value is excellent.

And acting is great, obviously, since they paid top talent.

And the ideas are interesting.

But it also feels small. They keep focusing on random off-center issues, rather than the central ideas. The basic gist (what will future look like with climate change) has so much potential for great and big ideas, so its odd they focus on random side-issues.

missmediajunkie t1_jdt1i21 wrote

The random side issues are the whole point. The show is designed to be an anthology showing how different individuals handle moral issues related to climate change. Episode two is a biologist having conversations with the last whale. Episode three is a rabbi’s spiritual crisis as his synagogue is literally and metaphorically sinking.

openew t1_jdt4ewp wrote

I agree with your assessment of what the show is.

That is why I don't like it. It just feels... small.

reddig33 t1_jdow6qc wrote

I couldn’t get through the first episode. Ham-handed and cringy. And that’s from someone who believes in climate change.

theomegawalrus t1_jdqnuur wrote

"I glanced at this work of art and didn't immediately have fun"

reddit_beer_map t1_jdsiqth wrote

no one needs to suffer through eight hours of something they don't enjoy. I made it 30 minutes into the first EP and it's just not good.

theomegawalrus t1_jdsm8zn wrote

It's just hard to take the criticisms of a well-received show of "hamfisted and cringy" seriously from someone who just couldn't be bothered to even finish an episode.

reddit_beer_map t1_jdsoxwt wrote

57 on Metacritic and a 46% on Rotten Tomatoes doesn't scream "well received" to me.

Driew27 t1_jdpv5lg wrote

Luckily each episode is it's own story.

kugglaw t1_jdrcevu wrote

I watched the first three episodes and it’s pretty brilliant, if a little dry at times.

I think there is just something about the themes of this show that is going to rub Redditors the wrong way.

Redditors seem suspicious of things they believe to be “preachy”. Which is basically anything with a point of view on anything political.

There wouldn’t be half as much hate in this thread if Extrapolations was pitched to audiences as a Black Mirror style anthology that just happened to take place in some vague “near future” or alternate world suffering the effects of climate change.

I think what’s gotten peoples backs up so much is the fact that it’s set in “our world”. And that it’s so explicit in its message and belief that man made climate change will have a negative impact on our lives.

TLDR: Drama shows with real world themes make Redditors feel bad. if this had zombies or some sort of crime family in it, people on Reddit would like it more.

sarko1031 t1_jdqlp4r wrote

I thought it was hilariously terrible.

thatsmehere t1_jdreof4 wrote

I really liked Episode 4, thought it was quite thought provoking and a lot less preachy compared to the three previous ones. In general, I think it's an interesting anthology series overall.

dpthrow85 t1_jdt73um wrote

I wanted this to be good but it sucks ass

[deleted] t1_jdovrpe wrote

[deleted]

lostsoul2016 OP t1_jdow1e0 wrote

What a wrong with people on this thread. Who the hell cares about celebrities. The best takeaways are the well researched and well portrayed effects of climate change. Shits already happening around us.

−6

ishtar_the_move t1_jdr195a wrote

> Who the hell cares about celebrities.

Obviously the producers do. These people don't get to lecture the rest of us while producing 100x average person's emissions.

AdClemson t1_jdq5bmy wrote

This thread is not going as intended for you OP lol

Automatic_Randomizer t1_jds7ay4 wrote

I'm a little surprised. Extrapolations is a much better show than Velma, but with this crowd, it could be a toss-up.

wolahipirate t1_jdp1qky wrote

i thought the premise was interesting. But I couldnt take it anymore after the first episode. The actual writing of its dialogue is just soooo cringe. The way they talk is not how real people talk. It feels so forced and cringe.

OmniManDidNothngWrng t1_jdssejl wrote

The Matthew Rhys character in the first episode was so cringe. There are some more interesting ideas in later eps, but leading with that was incredibly weak.

Automatic_Randomizer t1_jdpgtiy wrote

I do enjoy Extrapolations because it's a great cast with outlandish writing. Somebody should have pushed back on some of their choices. There are just so many questions.

Like, why are whales endangered in the future? Did we run out of oil or chemistry and need to hunt them again?

The whale/oceanographer scene was over the top. Both the whale and the woman are mothers with no spouse. The whale talks like a Na'vi with that noble savage wisdom. And the oceanographer chose her own mother's voice for the whale. It's supposed to be poignant, but it's ridiculous.

Some kids are afflicted with "summer heart" because the average global temperature is 2 degrees higher. This is the future, and we see that they have great VR and air conditioning. Kids don't play outside now, why would that change?

The last scene with Matthew Rhys was a karma fantasy written by an Eco-numb skull. Way too perfect.

The third episode's focus on Jewish people in Miami was baffling. I hope this isn't a hot button, but historically, Jewish people tend to be intelligent and to know when it's time to leave. Not the Miami branch. The synagogue has a few inches of water, so they come sloshing in wearing boots. They didn't see this coming yeas ago, and move away?

Extrapolations is fun because the writers are earnest and committed, but had no idea how normal people would view the show.

bool_idiot_is_true t1_jdqiacz wrote

> Like, why are whales endangered in the future? Did we run out of oil or chemistry and need to hunt them again? > >

They mentioned krill populations collapsing which would starve filter feeders like baleen whales. Climate change has a lot of implications that we're still nailing down. Changes in acidity, salinity, sea temps and a whole bunch of other things might cause a food chain to break down. If phytoplankton populations also start dyeing it'll be bad.

>Some kids are afflicted with "summer heart" because the average global temperature is 2 degrees higher. This is the future, and we see that they have great VR and air conditioning. Kids don't play outside now, why would that change?

The two degrees is a global average. It's not going to be evenly distributed. Local temps have the potential to be much higher.

Automatic_Randomizer t1_jds62u7 wrote

> They mentioned krill populations collapsing

> Local temps have the potential to be much higher.

Both of your explanations make sense. Many viewers would wonder about those kind of questions, so the writers could have worked some exposition into the dialogue. Maybe that would sound preachy, I don't know.

kugglaw t1_je438x9 wrote

Both of those things are mentioned in the dialogue, a couple times I think.

Also, so much of this information is just public knowledge know - most people get that increased temperatures would have bad consequences for public health or lead to the extinction of certain species.

warrenmax12 t1_jdpuft1 wrote

The first episode was absolutely terrible. Didn’t watch anymore. Please let Tim know that for a certain sum i would praise this to the moon

ishtar_the_move t1_jdqum1q wrote

Good god. It was like sitting in church getting lectured on. Climate change is the biggest challenge for humanity. But sitting through this was like watching Johnathan Majors doing a #MeToo presentation.

halopend t1_jdynvtx wrote

Ow. My summer heart.

There's some pretty over-the-top stuff (a man gets killed by a walrus in a "nature's revenge fantasy") and it's far from subtle, but there are storylines underneath all that that feel more real and plausible. Not finished it yet but I'm pretty sure I will despite the issues.

Interesting_Mouse730 t1_jdxqtq5 wrote

I like the idea of exploring ramifications of climate change over different periods of time, so I will stick with it. I thought the whale episode was pretty solid. Overall though (through episode 3), I have to say I've been disappointed. The tone has been all over the place, and I haven't found any of the characters, besides Sienna Miller, compelling. The storytelling really lacks any propulsion or tension, which is surprising because the creator has written great things before.

Nicktyelor t1_je0gwmg wrote

I like the concept and vignette style story telling.

I made it halfway through the 3rd episode and just had to turn it off. The writing is awkward and unnatural, no matter how well the high profile cast delivers it. Lot of awkwardly cringy scenes with comical one-dimensional characters - the villains in this show are just laughably simplistic. Episode 2 - beyond the whole talk to whales thing - was filled with really ham-fisted poetics delivered dryly by Meryl Streep. Scenes went on for way too long with this kind of dialogue and it was apparent that the show leaned hard on writing to supplant the lacking visuals. And I'm not asking for a grand CGI fest but the director shot the show in a very plain shaky cam shot-for-shot manner that didn't match the tone or severity of the subject.

StfartDust t1_jea29ma wrote

“Awesome” & “amazing”. A certain generation has been using these words so often, they’ve lost all meaning. What is amazing anymore, when it’s perpetually tagged onto subpar content regularly

pm_me_reason_to_livx t1_jdotvmv wrote

had to google wtf this was cuz i'd never heard of it before now. lol. seems interesting though, I'll probably check it out. too bad kit harrington is in the cast tho.

−1

lightsongtheold t1_jdov4o4 wrote

You can surely find plenty folks worth watching on this cast list! It is not like Apple have skimped on the budget for this one!

−1