Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PeteyG89 t1_iu1kvhj wrote

Those poor people streaming Rings of Power

−29

anasui1 t1_iu1m9vw wrote

laughing my arse off at NCIS' episode count

LeeF1179 t1_iu1mxme wrote

Ryan Murphy Productions is having a banner year!

cm64 t1_iu1r08a wrote

> The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power 966M

> House Of The Dragon 907M

Your daily reminder reddit is not real life.

tetoffens t1_iu1ti0k wrote

Prime has 125 million more subscribers than HBO Max. Netflix, then Prime, then Disney, and then HBO. You can expect the popularity of the shows to go in that order even if one seems like it has more buzz or acclaim.

Kruger-Dunning t1_iu1uedr wrote

People shit on the Disney+ approach, but it by all accounts is working super well:

1. identify several things that worked in a previous popular/nostalgic product
  2. make a 3/5 soft reboot/rehash of the things that worked that is not challenging or controversial and has a few high points. You want the entire audience to feel "whelmed enough" by the leftovers--taking risks doesn't get you there.
  3. Reduce the budget through sometimes crappier VFX (She-Hulk), smaller scale (Hawkeye), or less main actor screentime (the whole first part of Hocus Pocus 2 reduced the screentime of the Sanderson Sisters dramatically, and they were only paid a reported $4.5 in aggregate).

Disney spent about $40 million on Hocus Pocus 2, where the original, adjusted for inflation, cost about $60 million. They have to be pretty happy that it is beating House of the Dragon AND Lord of the Rings.

KGhaleon t1_iu1x2i1 wrote

I'm glad yall celebrating Dahmer's life and hobby.

−15

monsieurxander t1_iu22is5 wrote

The controversy was excellent marketing. Suggesting that watching a television show makes you a bad person is basically a dare.

gundumb08 t1_iu23hc0 wrote

So the top two shows are about people eating (or trying to eat) kids.

Cool.

aylakadam03 t1_iu2m1m8 wrote

Nielsen cover only US which can be seen in the articles too but some HBO shills keep saying same bullshit like yours every time Nielsen report is shared. Also if their shows got more buzz they would get more subscribers too but social media isnt real life as it is said.

Bronco4bay t1_iu2o6tg wrote

Isn't that just how Disney built their empire?

Rehash popular or nostalgic things, deny all copyright expiration, buy all competitors.

Even Mickey Mouse is just a rehashed Oswald the Rabbit who is just a rehashed Felix the Cat (because a rabbit was more unique than the cats on the market at the time).

After_Hovercraft7822 t1_iu2wvil wrote

It’s absolutely not that.

The series spends less time focusing on Dahmer then you’d think. It never tries to humanize him or make you empathetic towards him. The series makes it clear that he’s a monster through and through. So much so that the man that kills him in prison is briefly shown as a calm, reasonable man, wrestling with what he feels is a moral and holy obligation to do what the justice system failed to do.

2/3 of the series focuses more on the impact of Dahmer’s horrific acts, the failures of law enforcement and the justice system that allowed it to go on, and the fact that Dahmer hunted people of color largely unnoticed. It even takes the time to give the audience information about the victims, to reinforce that these were people with lives, aspirations, and people that cared about them.

HistoryQuestion69 t1_iu334he wrote

How?

It’s a show based on footnotes in the silmarillion or whatever, versus the popular tits and dragons show. And the HOTD first ep is a lot more of an easy step into the world than the LOTR first ep.

−5

foxfoxal t1_iu3inm6 wrote

Prime has more subscribers but it's not because everyone uses Prime for tv shows or movies, it has more services, lmao are people in this sub so clueless how this shit works? I love how people talk with such confidence when they are not proving anything.

Ora_00 t1_iu3kxa9 wrote

Rop having that many views just shows how bad taste most people have. The writing of the show is terrible and anyone cam see it if they actually think about it a little.

−7

Agent_Angelo_Pappas t1_iu3tdvx wrote

A lot more people have watched the Lord of the Rings than have watched Game of Thrones. Lord of the Rings is also generally recognized as fine for families, not a lot of parents are settling in with their middle schoolers to watch gratuitous sex on House of Dragon.

Those two things make the IP a lot more approachable to more people.

pearlsandplumes t1_iu3uvus wrote

Followed by Rings of Power. Not that you'd know, mind you, another post about Amazon being secretive with the numbers has thousands of upvotes by now.

GarlVinland4Astrea t1_iu43eet wrote

1. HOTD is not a show for kids and families

2. The amount of written material on HOTD and the Second Age of LOTR is about the same. HOTD is based off a fake history book and it really doesn’t have a full narrative and when it does it contradicts itself with varying perspectives. Also the Silmarillion is mostly a first age work. Second Age is more defined in short stories, extensive appendices and materials written by Tolkien and what we know in the books when they talk about it

ruxi23 t1_iu6zplj wrote

Nielson only counts the streams from TV's if I'm not wrong and not even all of them. Anything on mobile or notebooks isn't being counted in their data , not to mention HBO own views which are 2m viewers I think? That's 120m minutes watched missing that we know off and everything mobile. I wager everything combined leads to HoD having way higher numbers

Mookies_Bett t1_iug4y4w wrote

Plus, all the sanctimonious pearl clutching and tongue clucking in the comments makes people want to watch it out of spite. Sure had that effect on me. If there's one thing that pisses most people who aren't terminally online off, it's high horse moralizing from people on the internet.

See: pretty much any internet "boycott" ever.