Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Murder_Ballads t1_j26299p wrote

Most people seem to think it sucks.

Transmatrix t1_j26b8sy wrote

My wife and I are enjoying it. It’s a fun, lighter fantasy. It’s no LotR or GoT, but Willow never was.

sYndrock t1_j26kmqe wrote

Compared to the original, it is pretty bad. As a stand alone film, it is still pretty bad.

Ironwolf9876 t1_j26lwpm wrote

It's pretty bad.

The costumes come right out of Wishbone and the dialogue is like something off of some shitty teen late night WB series. It's God awful writing at it's finest.

The thing that made me be able to watch it was someone said "forget that it is Willow and pretend it is a dungeons & dragons group"

Peabella t1_j26tzdn wrote

Wishbone was great

Ironwolf9876 t1_j273fn9 wrote

Absolutely it was. Those kids could act fucking CIRCLES around the Willow actors.

RatRob t1_j263ivo wrote

Is it just me or does it seem like there’s been a blitz of PR on subs like this and movies for truly terrible things?

I’ve seen Willow, Witcher BO, Babylon being praised heavily multiple times in the past few days. They all read like fake posts.

ArsBrevis t1_j2660hd wrote

I've seen posts pushing Amazon Prime shows like The English and The Peripheral that have felt... less than organic.

Blackhalo t1_j266tts wrote

Compared to Willow, The Peripheral is practically Shakespeare. It's not, but Willow stinks on ice.

boomclapclap t1_j26bjl1 wrote

If you want a good Amazon show that isn’t being pushed… I just watched The Devil’s Hour and was very surprised nobody is talking about it. Was very good.

w311sh1t t1_j26982s wrote

I mean It’s also been because there’s been a ton of negative backlash on these subs. No matter how bad a piece of media is, there’s always gonna be at least one person who likes it. And when you see everyone shitting on something you enjoyed, you wanna try to defend it, so I think it’s more just a reaction to there being a lot of negative backlash.

BallsMahoganey t1_j26kzc7 wrote

But posts like this asking why "no one has been talking about Willow" seem extra advertisment-y because of this fact. People have been talking about it. A lot. They just hate it.

ItsAmerico t1_j26mtu9 wrote

I’m not sure “no one is talking about this show” is a good advertisement lol

xerxes00 t1_j2655sj wrote

Yes. I now believe posts like this are paid for by PR firms trying to shape opinions

VisforVenom t1_j2684hk wrote

Low karma profiles with no post history are usually the tipoff people look for. But you'd be surprised how often someone tries to phish your account or straight up purchase it with a middling amount of karma (20-100k) and I'm fairly certain a lot of those are for the purposes of discrete marketing.

Sometimes you can find someone doing a piss-poor job of shilling something, look at their post history, and see the exact moment they sold or otherwise lost their account. Just a sudden shift into singular topic shill posts about a topic never found in their interests prior.

GameOvaries02 t1_j268ppv wrote

16k and counting. One more year and I’ll be able to get the best thing I have ever gotten out of reddit(well, besides cat pictures):

$5

SchoolOfTheWolf93 t1_j26ab8x wrote

I agree and that’s why I’m done with this sub now. Every fucking post is “why aren’t more people talking about X”, “who else is loving X”, “I just started watching X and I’m loving it”. You’re right, they all sound like PR bullshit or trolls.

MisterEinc t1_j265vy3 wrote

Same thing happened when GoT came out. A blitz of media telling you not to watch any other fantasy shows.

MetaDragon11 t1_j269f1t wrote

On one hand reddit is hardly indicative of the wider world, on the other astroturfing has been happening with increasing frequency. Happened with ROP earlier this year among others.

TIFUstorytime t1_j26k8o4 wrote

I’ve been noticing a lot more of what seems to be guerrilla marketing on major subs recently, especially r/movies and r/television. Usually it’s an opinion on something being good with almost a textbook paragraph of persuasive argument with excellent grammar, spelling and punctuation. It’s quite transparent, IMO

KYWizard t1_j26kcca wrote

OH man, during Rings of Power's debut all my feeds were flooded with "It's not a piece of shit show" article after article. Which is how you know a show is awful if there is weeks long PR campaign trying to convince people it isn't shit.

Pladohs_Ghost t1_j268xdy wrote

I imagine Dr Lee up there has no PhD. Obvious marketing shill is obvious.

Aliki26 t1_j26d001 wrote

They probably are fake. I mean just reading this post is like an advertisement praising it

jl_theprofessor t1_j26gngu wrote

So you see lots of posts that are negative but the few that are positive are PR. Right. Well here, I am really enjoying Willow. I loved the trip back to Nockmoor and am about to watch episode 5.

prison---mike t1_j26me72 wrote

Oppenheimer just got black label dropped and that made the front page, probably from a PR firm astroturfing before the movie comes out

[deleted] OP t1_j26mvzy wrote

[deleted]

RatRob t1_j26xy0l wrote

No I judge things on my personal experiences. Like the personal experience that new willow is shit and Witcher lost any goodwill they had when Cavill left.

Haven’t seen Babylon. Probably won’t. Not really my jam.

Enkundae t1_j26nu8e wrote

Or a sub visited by thousands of people just happen to have some that genuinely like different things.

RatRob t1_j26xo76 wrote

Yea but literally nobody is rating Willow a 10/10.

I don’t even rate my favorite shows a 10/10

Enkundae t1_j2775y5 wrote

Someone somewhere does. It’s just how art works. Every show hits every person differently.

jonascarrynthewheel t1_j26dtes wrote

Hmm well im honestly just enjoying what is being put out.

Look man im a busy dad and im just happy to watch some good things that are t pretending to be A24 films or shows

They are good enough and a shit ton better than 90s tv🤷🏻‍♂️

I got downvoted for liking something? Lol 🤦🏻‍♂️

chromeshiel t1_j26gthl wrote

Action, reaction. People have been very vocal against the show, but since it's growing on those that persevered, they want to say nice things about it to balance the scales. It might be why I ultimately did it; I felt the show was slightly misunderstood, and offered a different perspective. But if we're getting paid, I don't mind getting some of that!

It's not a perfect show, but it's a fun experience. Nobody is forcing anyone to watch it though.

ArsBrevis t1_j261kki wrote

Were you on mild altering substances when you watched?

w311sh1t t1_j268yyp wrote

Went on OPs profile cause people were suggesting it might be a PR plant. They’re probably not, but they are active in r/shrooms, so you might be on to something lol.

Geshman t1_j2644rg wrote

I was mildly high and hated it

katiebutler161 t1_j2613j8 wrote

I watched the first episode and then thought, nah, I really don't need to go any farther. Dialogue was cringe, and some of the characters seemed very shallow.

[deleted] OP t1_j2662tg wrote

[deleted]

churadley t1_j26nhq2 wrote

Parks and Recreation and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are perfect examples of amazing shows whose first seasons are entirely underwhelming -- particularly considering the heights those shows reach in later seasons.

MulciberTenebras t1_j26pmec wrote

ATLA's was pretty rough compared to the rest of the series, it took quite a while to get going.

nicknick43 t1_j264hed wrote

I haven’t watched it but I think I might wallow through the shallow willow with my head on my pillow

katiebutler161 t1_j2652vu wrote

ow....ow.....ow

I feel like I hit my head in your comment over and over for some reason

scr33ner t1_j262wsr wrote

Because like many others, I couldn’t get past the 1st episode.

Blackhalo t1_j267ahr wrote

I'd argue that the 1st two episodes were... OK. Brief moments of hope. Before falling off the cliff, with every episode since. The sad thing, to me, is that there is an OK cast. But the writing and plot are just so awful that they are wasted.

scr33ner t1_j26d48n wrote

I guess other shows I'm in to, I get hooked within the 1st 15 minutes...if it doesn't, I'll wait a bit longer to see if it holds my interest.

This show does neither for me.

kellermeyer14 t1_j26ay04 wrote

I loved how the prince’s surrogate father was like I’ll go rescue him because he’s like a son to me, then he gets killed in literally the first five seconds and everyone just flees and starts quipping and never mentions him again. Classic Willow.

OriginalUsername8000 t1_j2640sd wrote

Hahahahaha. I have never seen such an obviously paid post in my life. No one with a functional brain thinks that show is a 10/10.

CW writing with F tier talent.

I have a soft spot for the old Willow movie. It's no masterpiece, but it's Citizen fucking Kane compared to the that shitshow of a program.

jl_theprofessor t1_j26gyyd wrote

The original movie was dog piled by critics yet you seem bewildered that people could like the show.

gszr89 t1_j262sfv wrote

Because it's disappointing af

TheStig21 t1_j26390d wrote

Because the Witcher Blood origins has come along so soon after to dethrone it as the worst fantasy show of the year

Ironwolf9876 t1_j273qw0 wrote

Yeah. That was a bad show. The only character I liked was the dwarf lady.

Preston_TheMinuteman t1_j264f3b wrote

The characters keep forgetting their own common sense and words they just spoke.

"You are too important to be left alone."

<moments later, everyone leaves her alone>

WeDriftEternal t1_j262t1n wrote

It’s more a kids teens show isn’t it?

Blackhalo t1_j267vm2 wrote

Except that kids and teens rate it the worst on IMDB. It rates best with women over 40. Not, I suspect, the target audience.

blue_ninja808 t1_j263ebt wrote

Because they’re literally a million new shows released a month and this one isn’t very good

12kdaysinthefire t1_j266gt9 wrote

A lot of people are talking about it everywhere dude, about how bad it is.

Jpro325 t1_j265fzn wrote

This has to be a lame marketing attempt.

CMButterTortillas t1_j26blw6 wrote

Because it’s fucking awful. Full stop.

Brutal writing. Terrible acting. Easily one of the single worst edited shows I’ve ever seen, let alone on a “premier” channel like Disney+. Fucking Samurai Cop and the Room had more cohesion and direction.

I loved the movie and of course wasn’t expecting a repeat of that, but holy fuck, this story and these whiny characters are ridiculous.

I gave it 5 full episodes and found myself asking why I continue to watch it when it’s so bad.

After the truly uninspired Solo movie, Kathleen Kennedy and Jon Kasdan have managed to destroy this franchise that really could’ve just been left alone in the first place if this is type of effort they chose to display.

And my god the music. Medieval Fantasy show but jammed with modern pop songs is the icing on this huge pile of shit.

Salamanderhead t1_j261als wrote

I like it but a lot of the choices made by the creators has me wondering what they were thinking. The show seemed like it was going to have a serious tone, but the more it goes on, it just gets more and more ridiculous. Things like clothing choices and music are really out there and don’t fit at all. I still like it though.

TheGreatOkay t1_j265q3o wrote

I haven’t watched it myself, but it seems a large number of people are calling it a big piece of shit!

Glad you like it though.

mesu2713 t1_j262nzl wrote

Just doesn’t have a consistent enough feel with the world building done in the movie for me. I’ll finish it eventually but, I can’t help but agree it became like a Riverdale Willow.

jonascarrynthewheel t1_j26je2f wrote

I like this take, even though id say i like the show a bit more than you.

Riverdale Willow is hysterical, and since id never actually watch Riverdale, i guess im here for it?🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Rumikiro t1_j264taq wrote

I watched the first three episodes and just couldn't take any more. In my opinion the writing is bad and the acting, particularly by Ellie Bamber, is awful.

leedo8 t1_j26eymy wrote

I tried it and it was rough. I wanted to like it.

DocAuch22 t1_j26h153 wrote

I grew up on that movie, and admittedly am extremely fatigued from movies/tv selling me nostalgia. It may be great, and I may watch it eventually, but I have such great memories of that movie growing up and I kind of just want to leave those memories alone.

stanhouse t1_j265575 wrote

Willow took a world of fun whimsical story's and replaced it with a somehow lower budget Xena world with worse acting. It like they took teen wolf acting and mixed it into Xena.

&#x200B;

I am still watching it hoping they somehow save the season/series but I doubt it.

Double_crossby t1_j268e1r wrote

Have you never seen the original movie? While not a masterpiece by any means, it was a solid 80s fantasy flick with good, if not absurd, comedy sprinkled through out but balanced with a serious tone of adult-but-kid-friendly adventure through out.

The show? It took that, chewed it up, and vomited up some bizarre miasma of pass the torch CW teenager ensemble cast bullshit. All of the teen-aged characters start off with bad-ass fighting skills, and thus have no room to improve or grow. They scrub away what made the Willow world unique among other fantasy IPs, removing any of the whimsy the original film had and boiling it down to another basic themed show polluted with juvenile drimmy-drama and blanketed by a paper thin plot that just ticks off "best seller" points as it goes.

I'm not happy that I don't enjoy it. I tried, but it is awful and it is known widely as another awful fantasy reboot cashgrab.

jl_theprofessor t1_j26h6l1 wrote

Everyone who keeps saying they dislike the show but that the original movie was solid… it was trashed when it came out. It literally had no good reviews.

Milalee t1_j269lwx wrote

I could barely get through the first episode. It's truly awful.

HollowVoices t1_j269v98 wrote

The show has some issues, but I wasn't fretting too much about it. Then I watched the latest episode... ouch... I just can't get over the way they did the trolls. WTF were they thinking? The show either takes itself too seriously in most parts, then it has crap like this.

dancingnoodle69 t1_j266a25 wrote

This post got me laughing for some reason tbh like seriously and i don't even know why lol...

That aside, it didn't work out for me after two episodes everything about it seemed so bad(acting,dialogue) and from the trailers i hoped it was atleast gonna be amazing to look at and it is so fucking cheap. Anyways its okay if u like it.

Regula96 t1_j26hs1t wrote

Only yesterday there were similar posts about Blood Origin being really good and the only reason it has been given bad reviews is that people are supposedly ''hurt'' that Cavill is out.

_i_dont-understand_ t1_j267cbk wrote

My brother in Christ, you are indeed just really high. Maybe give it another looky-loo when you sober up.

Squidoodle19 t1_j26bk30 wrote

Don't settle with mediocrity

Yungerman t1_j26e4yf wrote

Willow is so lit rn, amirite my fellow kids??

roygbiv77 t1_j26fd4s wrote

Thought this was a marketing post until the last sentence lol

jubjubrsx t1_j26fs4q wrote

cause the show is awful? it was painful to watch the first episode.

corsair1617 t1_j26jtlv wrote

Yeah it rocks. I don't get it

Deazul t1_j26lbi8 wrote

I love it too

AutoModerator t1_j260pnq wrote

The 2022 Edition of the r/television Favorite Shows Survey is now open!

You may vote by clicking here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please comment here.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

iwantmy-2dollars t1_j267k9q wrote

Some people remember the movie?

Full disclosure: haven’t seen this since it came out so maybe I was a kid having a bad day.

PrettyInPInkDame t1_j269jhl wrote

It’s boring standard fantasy through 2 episodes linked to an ip barely anyone remembers. But hey if you like it good on you for having more things you enjoy in your life.

OllieQueen17 t1_j26bfgu wrote

There was literally a post on here yesterday asking "why aren't more people talking about how terrible Willow is?"

Hamburglar219 t1_j26dxjs wrote

Because it is horribly written and acted even worse…

KaiSosceles t1_j26f0d5 wrote

I remembered the 80’s movie well enough to never want to see anything Willow related ever again.

Redditfront2back t1_j26l9ta wrote

Warwick Davis is not a good actor anymore, I liked his acting in everything but this show.

sdfree0172 t1_j26m4dz wrote

I can tell just from the lighting that I won’t like it. The scenes all look like theyre filmed on a holiwood set at high noon. No dirt, no darkness, none of the grime of life. The characters look like some child’s interpretation of what medieval life was like - perfect teeth, clean clothes, everyone is well educated, etc. it could be the best writing ever done and I still doubt I could like it.

prison---mike t1_j26m80a wrote

Is this a shit post based on that other guys post about the Transformers movies being amazing? Is this a new shit post trend?

metametapraxis t1_j26n216 wrote

I've seen quite a bit of discussion - I haven't seen that many that seem to like it, tbh. Haven't seen it myself, so can't comment.

PrimeroRocin t1_j26nn0t wrote

I love Amar Chadha-Patel. The whole cast is actually pretty great. I’m increasingly convinced that a vocal minority hates it because gay stuff.

metametapraxis t1_j26obc4 wrote

This feels an awful like PR shilling.

ChampionofNutting t1_j26pikd wrote

I’ll pretty much watch anything with Warwick Davis. I like the show. Of course I am not looking for Macbeth.

thesexychicken t1_j26pq78 wrote

Cause I’m not watching it and don’t really care.

JCBAwesomist t1_j26puej wrote

My wife and I have watched every episode so far and have hated every single one. The writing is bad. All of the characters except for Borman(?) are flat and monotone. The terrible covers of modern day songs don't fit the fantasy genre and just generally suck. The acting is atrocious. The story is simplistic as hell yet somehow meandering and unfocused. The whole thing hinges on saving a prince that has no likable qualities. The dialogue feels lifted out of a CW teen drama from 2019. Even Willow sounds like he's delivering his lines with a gun to his head.

My wife is a huge fan of the original film and feels like this show has ruined her childhood. I told her this is how Star Wars fans have felt since the Phantom Menace.

Then I told her she just hates strong female protagonists.

PerswAsian t1_j26qq8y wrote

It lost me in the first scene after the recap. I'm sure this is going to get me downvoted, but the establishment of "princess, but battle-trained" just feels hokey at this point. That I instantly caught some kind of romantic vibes between the women also hit a red flag for me. Slow build me with subtle moments, and we're good. Throw it down as the establishing shot, and I'm out until I'm in a more charitable mood.

I loved Willow as a kid, and I'll likely give it a second chance, but I'm so far behind on shows that aren't just getting my attention because of the 20-35 year nostalgia chord being struck. I'll likely find something that instantly takes me out of That 90's Show next month the same way I did with the newest Star Wars movies, Fuller House, Girl Meets World, The Mighty Ducks, Animaniacs, Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, and Twin Peaks.

So far, Wednesday and W/Bob and David have been about the only things that stuck the landing for me in the past few years of reboots and rehashes.

ChorizoGarcia t1_j26rhv7 wrote

The performances are “solid”? Warwick Davis seems like he’s reading his lines off a cue card. The acting is awful. The dialogue is awful. The production design is awful and is completely devoid of connection from the movie.

fibro_witch t1_j264kov wrote

I have been very busy and only just saw the show. I am happy that some of the original actors came back. I wish it had not come out so close to the end of the year.

FabianVG t1_j2691pb wrote

You like bad stuff and that's okay, it's okay to line things that are bad, just realize that you have horrible taste and move on from there.

kellermeyer14 t1_j26bmdm wrote

The Star Trek moment where there’s an earth quake but they just shake the camera then the actors have to act like they’re about to fall over. Fun as fuck all right.

realcastlepresident t1_j26bo02 wrote

Why do posts like This exist and y’all can’t just watch tv.

MattTheSmithers t1_j26bvh8 wrote

You know how everyone was saying Avatar “had no cultural impact”?

Well, with Willow that turned out to be true.

pWaveShadowZone t1_j26dywh wrote

Oh I’m so glad to hear this! Starting it tonight!

oinklittlepiggy t1_j26hdlg wrote

I was so excited for it to come out..

The truth, the show is just awful.

orgyofdestruction t1_j26hjc4 wrote

Everyone I've spoken with that's watched it says that it sucks.

BoltActionHero t1_j26iu39 wrote

Wtf this show is hot garbage rip willow movie legacy!

Dman125 t1_j26k9qu wrote

All I’ve heard is how shitty it is. I’ve heard entirely too much from enough sources I generally agree with to steer clear.

CrazybyRX t1_j26mk6o wrote

I'm glad you are enjoying it, but Willow is hot garbage and objectively sucks.

jdbrew t1_j26njkh wrote

Ive see a lot of people talking about it, both on Reddit, and in articles in my news feeds… but what the talk is has been unanimously that it is terrible. This post is the first I’ve seen so far singing any sort of praise

Shadruh t1_j26ntd6 wrote

No it sucks. Why does it suck? I could could go on and on about everything that has already been said about it. The real reason it sucks is that I was fling bamboozled... I was expecting Willow. I got some shit teenshow with no soul.

kemmelberg t1_j26o16q wrote

Only a handful of Disney+ original shows are good. The rest, Willow included, are garbage. It seems quantity over quality was the directive.

little_mushroom_ t1_j262rf6 wrote

I admit it's better than I expected and I'm a picky SOB. I keep thinking I'm going to stop watching it but I keep on with it so far. Some of the characters can be annoying and a little lacking in depth. Still tho, very curious to finish the season and see where it lands.

−2

JoeyDefNotABot t1_j2676qz wrote

isn’t there like too many gay characters? that’s enough for me not to watch it 🤷‍♂️ not a homophobe but just don’t love when stuff like that is shoehorned into series

−3

SolomonCRand t1_j267rnh wrote

I’m enjoying it. It’s definitely got some cringy teen dialogue, but I’m not taking it very seriously and am generally having fun. Way better than Shannara, which had a similar vibe.

−3

pretzelpup t1_j263ofa wrote

Everyone else can eat a bag of dicks, my wife and I are loving it. Someone on here described it very well when they said it was a band of inept adventurers bumbling through a D&D campaign and I thought that was perfect. It’s so much fun. The nostalgia helps me appreciate it a lot, but my wife never saw the movie and still enjoys the hell out of it.

−5

Levonorgestrelfairy1 t1_j261dwq wrote

Internet fans love edgy shit, lighter hearted projects tend to not be well received in these parts.

−6

Archamasse t1_j26cib4 wrote

Lol, I don't know why people are downvoting you as if this isn't true.

This board loves grimderp dudebro scowl offs. Everything else is ~astroturf.

lostryu t1_j2697f8 wrote

Not enough rape and incest scenes for reddit to like it

−6

batting1000bob t1_j2614yk wrote

I ask that same question about Andor. That show is fantastic. But not the right people watching.

−7

DROOPY1824 t1_j263713 wrote

What? Literally all of reddit is talking about Andor

batting1000bob t1_j264ffc wrote

Reddit maybe. But Disney says not enough people are watch it.

JustAboutAlright t1_j26fdu5 wrote

That is probably true but I’d say it’s from now badly the Star Wars well has been poisoned more than this particular show. It’s hard to get excited for a prequel to a story that has a terrible ending no matter how good it is. Similar problem for House of the Dragon but that ending, while rushed and haphazard, isn’t the dumpster fire of the sequel trilogy.