Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ruiner8850 t1_j8ocg7b wrote

That might be the case because like I said, I didn't try it until last year which was well after the "we sucked so we changed our recipe" ads first aired. It might have been better for awhile, but it was awful and I have much better options between local places or other chains. Maybe it's just my local Domino's, but the dough, sauce, and cheese were all absolutely terrible. Maybe it's just nostalgia and my changing tastes, but I really liked a pepperoni pizza from Domino's growing up in the '80s.

thelandsman55 t1_j8ol1aw wrote

I imagine they're more or less in an endless cycle of:

1. The economy is good, stockholders want growth, work on making the pizza better to grow the customer base.
  2. The economy is bad, stockholders want profit/cost cutting, find cheaper suppliers for ingredients even if it hurts pizza quality.

Pizza is a simple enough dish to make that the quality of a normal pizza is basically just the quality of the ingredients summed together.

ruiner8850 t1_j8otkk4 wrote

I just don't get it because to me there are so many better pizzas out there at different price points. For instance I wouldn't say Little Caesars is good pizza exactly, but it's cheap and decent enough if you aren't spending a lot of money. All the other cheaper chains are better than Domino's. Then there are the slightly more expensive chains which are what you pay for and therefore are slightly better.

My city isn't very big, but we actually have multiple different local pizza shops which are really good and taste better than any chain. They are all more expensive than Domino's or Little Caesars though. Some are about the same price as the higher end chains while others are significantly more expensive, but also absolutely delicious.

There are simply so many better options that I can't understand when anyone chooses Domino's. Maybe the one around me is just ran terribly and they are using substandard products and techniques, but if what I had last time is their normal pizza it's absolutely disgusting. I could probably be convinced to try it again if it was free, but if it tasted the same I wouldn't even finish the slice.

bolanrox t1_j8odwvy wrote

its basically across the street from me, and i wont eat there.

my wife likes it from time to time, but i would rther not eat...

Opened up in the same strip as an old time pizza place, which was the last straw for the guy to decide to retire after his lease came up.. I had been eating their since i was a kid.

382Whistles t1_j8tamlv wrote

They suck. Farm ore than the pizza.. but i digress..

It was once an acceptable pizza and a good deal, good delivery service ... last century. It has been that long since I ordered one.

I've have had a few bland slices since. My mass produced precooked rewarmed elementary school slop was better.

The corner shop is better and cheaper if you pick it up, a dollar more delivery and pretty fast, some crazy weekend delay every few years but hey. Similar pie to old Dominoes crust really, sweeter sauce no-H.burn.

Dominoes did create the time standard for food delivery that all similar service is now based on really. I think they shaved about 20 minutes off the average food times.

They cheaped out 1900s and have been surviving on a logo. Once market recognition is strong enough, it's really hard to fail anymore; "We're dumb". (i did ad work..disgusting uses of cool tricks, just look away)