Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kmn493 t1_jcwwdfg wrote

Look if furries can hand over $5k for a costume, the weirdly patriotic can do the same.

dragonmyass t1_jcyxmoa wrote

$5k is the low end now. It’s ‘wearable art’ and it has gotten so out of hand…

Some of us just want a $4000 paper bag to fuck in.

Geniuskills t1_jd0mewg wrote

I learnt a lot from this comment.

BobRoberts01 t1_jd0tx5i wrote

It appears that grammar was not one of those things .

Geniuskills t1_jd0ulwx wrote

Thank dog you were here to point that out. You've done a real service to humanity today bobrob.

Hey are you supposed to include a space before the period? Don't you look silly now!

Belgand t1_jcy0vt8 wrote

Or you can pay any number of SCAdians like $50 to get a coat of arms worked out and described in proper heraldic language.

nikobruchev t1_jcyw6v2 wrote

Except it's not legally recognized in Canada unless issued by the Canadian Heraldic Authority (CHA) or equivalent governmental body from another country.

A coat of arms is considered part of the Canadian Honours system, so you have to meet a threshold of worthy contributions to Canada as well. You can't just send a cheque and expect to get a coat of arms.

Belgand t1_jcyxd4a wrote

If they refuse to recognize it, then they are free to meet me on the list and settle this like men of honor.

BurntToasters t1_jczu8vo wrote

On the ice rink like true canadians

rshorning t1_jd31tpj wrote

Is that with or without padded armor? You know, like true Scotsmen?

Rock_man_bears_fan t1_jd0eia9 wrote

What in the European fuck are y’all doing up there? Why do you have a heraldic system?

nikobruchev t1_jd0hg35 wrote

As a Commonwealth Realm (so not just a Commonwealth country but having a shared head of state through our own monarchy), we derive many of our cultural and honorific traditions from British traditions.

Best_Call_2267 t1_jd0o536 wrote

The UK has the same thing: College of Arms.

NB: There's not really such a thing as a "family coat of arms". It's a personal one. So when someone says "this is my coat of arms" what they actually mean is: "this is the coat of arms my great-great-great grandad used and I'm reusing"

swordsmanluke2 t1_jd01fpq wrote

While I agree that 1,000-3,500 is not exactly chump change, it's also within the means of most middle-class families.

To me, "Fuck-ton" usually implies only the very wealthy should even bother to apply.

That said, there's nothing stopping any of us from loading up MSPaint and making our own heraldry. I can make my own "coat of arms" that has pretty much the exact same impact on my life as one from the government.

OnlyNotWrongTho t1_jd12nhc wrote

My coat of arms is just a a pic of an old Ute with a ‘No root, No ride sticker on the back window, flanked by a body building kangaroo on the left and an axe wielding platypus on the right, on a field of azure.

SueSudio t1_jcwvwx9 wrote

$5000 isn't a fuck ton. For many it may just mean foregoing an annual vacation.

−314

publicbigguns t1_jcwwm74 wrote

5k might not be a fuck ton to you, but that's quite a bit of money for the vast majority of Canadians.

It's not skipping a vacation, its having food on the table...

Beerphysics t1_jcwxb90 wrote

Well, it depends which Canadian sub you're asking this question on. On /r/Canada it's a ginormous unthinkable amount of money. On /r/personalfinancecanada it's what they made last friday.

publicbigguns t1_jcwxerg wrote

r/wallstreetbets has entered the chat...

gheebutersnaps87 t1_jcx73ak wrote

Is that subreddit not just dudes who think they are The Wolf of Wall Street, but are actually just regular middle to lower class people who really like Elon Musk?

Chiss5618 t1_jcxqeqf wrote

It's mixed. The original sub was about making very poor financial decisions

zouzzzou t1_jcy35pd wrote

The original sub before 2020 was about throwing less than 1% of your money in low probability high paying bets. Nobody back then actually threw everything at a bet, and if someone did, they were rightfully made fun of.

Makyura t1_jcy3zl6 wrote

No it's just a gambling addiction sub under a pretty guise

wineandseams t1_jcwyl4r wrote

It's how much is lost weekly on options held with shady brokers.

sethayy t1_jcxttqs wrote

Fuck dude if I even had 5k in my account I'd be celebrating

Goodpie2 t1_jcx1n8l wrote

Congratulations on being rich then. That doesn't change that it's a shitload of money for the majority of people.

creamonbretonbussy t1_jcx2bjn wrote

Lmao that's more than twice as much as my family has ever spent on a vacation

We'd just rent a cheap cabin in a nice place for a few nights and buy some interesting foods and goods from the local vendors.

SueSudio t1_jcxwxge wrote

If you fly anywhere it is very easy to hit that price.

−3

JoaoBinda t1_jcx300i wrote

This word “many”, I don’t think it means what you think it means…

SeaLeggs t1_jcy7t7u wrote

Sorry honey we’re not going on holiday this year, I’ve ordered us a coat of arms from the government instead.

hreloaded t1_jcxxlmk wrote

>$5000 isn't a fuck ton

Not only that, it isn't even a metric ton (of copper)!

Drdres t1_jcxc7fk wrote

Anyone choosing a coat of arms instead of a vacation is a psychopath regardless

−2

SueSudio t1_jcxvml8 wrote

For sure. I'd never spend $5k on a piece of paper like that. But some people might get long term pleasure out of having that to pass down within their family.

A vacation is just a memory once you are back at home.

−6