Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Raeandray t1_ixz4are wrote

My guess is its more about pulling on the bow as the focus instead of pulling a trigger.

The tension doesn’t make sense. Everyone uses compound bows, so there’s less tension at full draw than while you’re pulling back. It sounds like with these releases you draw, aim, then pull back until it fires at some point.

That honestly sounds much more smooth to me. One of the hardest issues with a standard release is eliminating that slight jerk when you pull the trigger with your finger. Pulling straight back there’s no jerk at all.

Zgoos t1_ixz8o4h wrote

Compounds have less tension at full draw, but if you pull a little beyond full draw, the tension increases again very quickly. It's called the "back wall". Pulling into that back wall, the increasing tension is what activates the release.

Raeandray t1_ixza8lz wrote

Looking into it further, it looks like the "back wall" is a bit of a preference. Some compound bows have it, others don't. Regardless I've hunted with a compound bow since I was strong enough to pull back the legal weight limit and had no idea this was a thing. Thanks for the info!

Hammer_Thrower t1_ixzx6vf wrote

There's always a wall, otherwise you could just keep pulling. It is when the cams are fully extended and you're actually pulling against the arms. What is adjustable is where a shooter's favored draw point is relative to the wall.

randomLOUDcommercial t1_ixzycir wrote

I mean there are hard walls and soft walls that may be the “preference” you are thinking of? But that is dependent on the bow not the archers (2 archers with the same compound couldn’t have a hard and soft wall). Draw length is adjustable (with in a range) on compounds but is based off your anchor.

Tension releases have a mechanism to “feel” the change in back tension as you squeeze your shoulders together when anchored. (Think of holding a pen skinny ways in between your shoulder blades). That motion creates tension which rotates your hand slightly and that is what causes the release to fire. Otherwise it would release as the archer was drawing due to the physics behind a compound making the heaviest part the initial pull.

mkultra50000 t1_iy3vopd wrote

Turns out just awareness of back tension releases are the only actual surprise.

DonutCola t1_iy0k0xr wrote

Wait do you actually shoot or are you literally learning about archery as you argue? Cause you’re definitely a piece of shit if you just pick fights and then try to figure out why after the fact.

−10

Raeandray t1_iy0vb0r wrote

First, I don't think I've picked a fight with anyone. Second, you seem to have not read the part of my comment where I said:

> I've hunted with a compound bow since I was strong enough to pull back the legal weight limit

Tarnishedcockpit t1_iy0mzvd wrote

i mean, he says he has experience, so doesnt that make you a piece of shit for coming up with some lame ass excuse to diminish his argument just because he didnt know the specific words/science behind it?

Cause if so, then thatd be pretty ironic lol.

shrubs311 t1_iy0yq7s wrote

chill the hell out. they didn't pick a fight, the "worst" thing they did was potentially missing knowledge on something they had experience with but not that specific thing. it's extremely ironic for you to accuse them of being a piece of shit when you're coming in guns blazing

muuus t1_iy0mnz8 wrote

Seriously what the fuck is this guy on about.

He is totally clueless but talks with 100% confidence like he is an expert on the subject.

−3

Raeandray t1_iy0vh9e wrote

The only thing I was unaware of is the "back wall" which I admitted. If I'm "totally clueless" on something else feel free to point it out lol. I've been shooting a compound bow since I was 12, and a practiced with a recurve before that.

donald7773 t1_ixz5xf6 wrote

So compound bows have a set limit on the draw, or how far back you can pull it. You just pull back till there's no more pull left. There's sights to use, after that it's just practice for consistency.

Raeandray t1_ixz66x4 wrote

Right, you’re not pulling the string further back, you’re pulling harder, which adds more tension to the release. Otherwise the tension release would never release, since there’s more tension while drawing than while holding the draw.

could_use_a_snack t1_ixzjaxw wrote

I'm assuming this is for targets that don't move. Randomly firing arrows don't sound like a good hunting tool.

Raeandray t1_ixzllek wrote

In my experience you don’t try to shoot a moving target if you’re actually hunting an animal. Way too hard to not hit something vital. Good hunters don’t want to wound an animal taking a subpar shot.

frothy_pissington t1_ixznmg9 wrote

And “good hunters” seem to be a shrinking demographic...

Deer season started two weeks ago.

Guys have been filtering back to work.

So many stories about booze, drugs, hookers, 4 wheeling, guns, and wounded animals “that weren’t worth tracking”, very few stories about habitat, conservation, and a general appreciation of the outdoors as something to be enjoyed in solitude and preserved.

froggertwenty t1_iy0dvdg wrote

You must be right. The GOOD hunters I know would not be TALKNG about the booze, drugs, and hookers. What happens at deer camp stays at deer camp.

An_Lei_Laoshi t1_ixzo2at wrote

What's 4 wheeling? English isn't my first language

DownstairsB t1_ixzokhr wrote

4 wheeled recreational all terrain vehicle

Edit: i love the 3 different perspectives answering this question

shrubs311 t1_iy0z75m wrote

>Edit: i love the 3 different perspectives answering this question

yes it's hilarious, i also appreciate the person asking thanking all 3 individually

mythslayer1 t1_ixzp2ym wrote

A massively overpowered 4 wheel machine that is ridden by drunk assholes tearing up the land.

They are not allowed on most public land because of the damage they can do.

StoneTemplePilates t1_iy07xde wrote

Lol, sounds like you just live in the wrong part of the country for it. There are tons of places that off-road vehicles can be enjoyed responsibly and are completely legal on public land.

mythslayer1 t1_iy4kqoi wrote

Many states do not allow 4 wheelers or utv in state forests (which is what we hunt). Federal does not either as far as I know.

StoneTemplePilates t1_iy4p089 wrote

Ok, and many states do allow it, and in fact have designated recreational areas for just that purpose so I'm really not sure what your point is. As far as federal land, have you heard of the bureau of land management? They have literally thousands of miles of backcountry roads where you can go and drive whatever you want on.

Sounds like you're just a killjoy who has some weird issue with motorsports.

tagrav t1_iy0v077 wrote

listening to this old guy at disc golf tell me all he keeps is the backstrap really pissed me off.

trophy hunters are fucking wankers.

CarrotJuiceLover t1_ixzqxmi wrote

I’m going to piggyback off of u/Raeandray and say a bow in modern times is more comparable to a sniper rifle. You don’t want to shoot a moving target, you wait until you have a clear stationary target.

could_use_a_snack t1_iy0ernp wrote

Probably should have said living target that could move. Seems like a bad idea to not have my shot happen when I want it to.

CarrotJuiceLover t1_iy0gzj5 wrote

Well a typical archery shot takes about 5-8 seconds. You wait for a living target to stop (typically to survey food on the ground) until you have a clear shot behind the shoulder blades, through the heart and lungs. In that amount of time you can settle your shot, aim, and wait for the surprise release to go off. Keep in mind you can also adjust the sensitivity and trigger point of a surprise release device, so that it doesn’t go off too unexpectedly.

TurChunkin t1_iy0qz5o wrote

The "surprise" part is down to a few milliseconds of difference. I use one for hunting, and killed a bull elk my first year bowhunting using this style of release!

DonutCola t1_iy0jvri wrote

More importantly there is the same exact amount of draw force every single time the jerk is very very very much mitigated by a decent archer who is practiced. People go bow hunting still and have done it a very very very long time. This is like surgically precise shooting. Humans are pretty dang good without the hi tech stuff too. This just makes us better.

corvidae21 t1_iy0ktvz wrote

Yep, been into archery for a long time and my instructors always said, with mechanical releases you want to put pressure on the button and pull with your back until it releases so it surprises you and you don't jerk or grip the bow in anticipation

CarbonGod t1_iy1bl5q wrote

Everyone uses compounds? Wtf dude?

Raeandray t1_iy1bqvk wrote

I'm talking hunting. I dont follow competitive shooting or anything like that, if they use recurve bows there?