Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Groundbreaking_War52 t1_j5afho3 wrote

Was one of the last big movies that captured authentic, gritty NYC - complete with horrible traffic, abundant litter, and surprising kind, helpful, and weird residents. A ton of real locations used and you can tell.

This was before studios tried to either pass off Toronto or Atlanta as NYC - or just CGI in a bunch of landmarks.

RustyShackleford1122 t1_j5b383x wrote

Every single alien planet looks like the forests outside Vancouver

SpookySpice24 t1_j5blt6l wrote

The Pacific Northwest: Epicenter of all sci fi universes since 1993. (Or earlier.)

zachzsg t1_j5byuqa wrote

Yup. I live in northernish VA, and it was always funny seeing mulder and scully roll through my hometown with trees in the background I’ve never seen in my life

SpookySpice24 t1_j5bz0mz wrote

Same! And all the places in DC they get to WAY too fast.

zachzsg t1_j5c2d9b wrote

You can tell the show is unrealistic because if it was realistic, half of the scenes would be them sitting in traffic on 66/495

SpookySpice24 t1_j5c2m63 wrote

The hell you got to Georgetown in 15 minutes during daylight!

jtmarshiii t1_j5bn4cw wrote

X-Files.CA

JoeChristmasUSA t1_j5c0oeq wrote

The X-Files cracks me up. Ah yes, mountains covered with coniferous trees in the background, this is clearly rural Iowa.

LameBMX t1_j5c23r7 wrote

Thanks and fuck you. Now my brain can't be unwired to catch details like that for the rest of my life.

Though in a strange twist, I know have a greater understanding why Cleveland is always used by marvel since Ohio doesn't exist.

wthulhu t1_j5c9j8x wrote

Youd be shocked how many deserts in movies have joshua trees in them despite only existing in this range

LostInDinosaurWorld t1_j5c1kif wrote

Also the best place to learn how to climb trees like a red tailed lemur, apparently

timsredditusername t1_j5bn3dl wrote

Stargate fan?

RustyShackleford1122 t1_j5bn6e4 wrote

Yup!

Best franchise ever

[deleted] t1_j5boarb wrote

[deleted]

esqualatch12 t1_j5btt7g wrote

Scotch Broom, scourge of two galaxies- my roommate's commentary on Stargate Atlantis

coolpapa2282 t1_j5bw5ix wrote

Pssh, shows what you know. The forest moon of Endor looks lie northern CA redwood forests, WHICH ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Rampage_Rick t1_j5c7g5w wrote

Plus all the news anchors are from Vancouver too.

Chris Gailus is in Sonic the Hedgehog. Tony Parsons was in The Pledge and Saving Silverman (and Masterminds, which has parallels to DHWAV plus Patrick Stewart in a mustache!) Tamara Taggart was in a ton of movies in the early 2000s.

glabonte t1_j5cvz75 wrote

Oh man, I used to love watching Masterminds.

Rampage_Rick t1_j5d1h9y wrote

Surprisingly good supporting cast. Patrick Stewart, Matt Craven, and Callum Keith Rennie as I recall (though the fake accent on the latter...)

Shart-Vandalay t1_j5c9wg0 wrote

You would like High Maintenance on HBO for all of these reasons.

Jjex22 t1_j5dgbky wrote

That’s how I always remember it too, as one of the last blockbusters before GCI, every shot being filmed with grey and blue filters, etc.

It’s like we rewatched Band of Brothers over the Christmas period and I immediately noticed how they could portray night and capture all the essence of it being night whilst I could still see all the actors and set, but most shows and movies made in the last decade show darkness by being so dark and underexposed you can’t see anything on the screen at all u less you whack up the brightness and barricade the windows