Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

joeconn4 t1_j4whugv wrote

I hear what you are saying.

All I'm saying is that in my 50+ years competing, at many different levels and in wearing many different hats (competitor, coach, official, spectator), I would strongly dispute that what you initially wrote, "...almost EVERY form of competition at every level has elements of "offensive language" and racism..." is anywhere close to true.

If you had led with your last comment, I doubt I would have responded to begin with. I agree with your last comment almost 100% - with the exception that it's my personal feeling that at college, high school, grade school age sports where the competition exists to a large degree to further the education of the competitors, in those environments if offensive/racist language is being used then as a teachable moment those in charge of the competition would be serving their communities well to consider any potential sanctions including removing players from teams or having competitions without spectators. Behaviors change through both positive and negative reinforcement.

raz0rsnak3 t1_j4ws81f wrote

Totally agree with your second paragraph. I guess any time I've competed (football, track, lacrosse, bjj, pool, arm wrestling, etc...) I've been very aware of trash talking from both competitors I know and those I don't.

Honestly, I hope that the actual frequency of trash talking is more on the level that you've experienced; that would indicate progress as far as sportsmanship .