Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Golden_Kumquat OP t1_j076zrs wrote

Data comes from The New York Times; green is fewer emissions. Unfortunately the color scheme isn't the greatest when dealing with a transit system with green and orange lines, but at least the stations should be recoginisible enough.

inallthisrain t1_j07ek5n wrote

Super interesting!! Would love to see this for other cities

TA_faq43 t1_j07hp5w wrote

Looks like it correlates well with density and/or wealth.

Maybe industry as well. Looks like some of the high emissions area are commercial/industrial areas.

dontforgetpants t1_j07tkky wrote

I would guess metro proximity correlates with wealth because being near metro is convenient and desirable and drives up the price of nearby housing, creating pockets of relative wealth.

puffdexter149 t1_j07vpjo wrote

I wouldn't think that industry affects this - household emissions should be limited to literal households (i.e. as a matter of survey design). I absolutely agree that wealth and density are a major contributor here.

I haven't read the article so I'm not sure if this data includes emissions from purchases and travel, but I'm guessing it does which is likely driving a lot of the darker areas. Plus emissions from long commutes!

warnelldawg t1_j07xstv wrote

Transit is obviously a big factor, but I think the bigger factor is how Carbon intense SFH McMansions are.

thehappyherbivore t1_j08h2jg wrote

Indeed. From the article:

> Higher-income households generate more greenhouse gases, on average, because wealthy Americans tend to buy more stuff — appliances, cars, furnishings, electronic gadgets — and travel more by car and plane, all of which come with related emissions.

warnelldawg t1_j08hglh wrote

Bigger house equals more energy for heating and cooling, can hold more crap (which has embedded carbon), takes more material to construct among other things.

Shows once again that the most sustainable forms of life is via density.

Evaderofdoom t1_j08ib0h wrote

wow, so much more powerful an image with the metro lines added. Well done

carlyslayjedsen t1_j08ioxw wrote

Seems very much correlation vs causation. The housing near the metro lines tends to be denser and less energy intensive.

chickenboy73 t1_j08j3bb wrote

Wonder what color the airport would be

foospork t1_j08r6f7 wrote

So, Fountainhead Park (on the Fairfax side of the Occoquan reservoir, south of Clifton) has high emissions? There are no homes or businesses there.

I do not understand how the values shown in this map were calculated.

djslarge t1_j08s5zj wrote

Notice that emissions are the lowest near metro stops

PrestigiousEbb4608 t1_j08v00u wrote

So wouldn’t it be safe to say that it has everything g to do with wealth and nothing with transit?

Wealthy people buy and use more stuff, but they also don’t need transit because they have a Porsche in the garage.

−1

PrestigiousEbb4608 t1_j08wjp5 wrote

You may have missed my point. Those two can exist at the same time. I was saying that wealth is the greater predictor for emissions because even if you put up a Potomac metro stop, wealthy people are not going to use it. Even if they did use it, that would probably only help with a very small portion of their total emissions.

Things like vacations, frequently updating their vehicles, clothes, etc., would be a greater emissions factor than whether or not someone rides the metro.

Most people don’t ride the metro because it’s environmentally friendly. They do it because it’s either convenient for them, or they don’t have money for a vehicle.

A_Random_Catfish t1_j096xis wrote

So it’s interesting to me that there’s the little block of higher emissions in old town, even though it’s one of the most walkable/bikeable areas in the dmv. I wonder if it has to do with the houses being so old that they require more energy to heat/cool.

winterorchid7 t1_j09873q wrote

It had an interactive key on the NYT that unfortunately didn't translate here. There were 5 categories including transportation contributing to the carbon footprint rating. Colors represent above and below the national average (dark red = bad). Interestingly food was one of the categories and seemed to trend with transportation in north Arlington and McLean (sorry I didn't look elsewhere).

iaalaughlin t1_j09crsw wrote

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever known how far up the red line goes, geographically speaking.

Bartisgod t1_j09fpp6 wrote

I would never have thought Fair Oaks would be low-emission, with all the office parks and the Mall! But now that I think about it, those of us who live here do mostly live in apartments and rowhouses, and often bike to the grocery store or mall. If we do drive, which I do think most of us do, everything we need or want is rarely more than a couple of miles away. I wonder if most of the people who live here also work here, which could further lower vehicle emissions so much below the surrounding areas? I would be surprised to learn that's the case given this is still the DC suburbs, but there are certainly enough local jobs to support it.

4look4rd t1_j09wunx wrote

It’s not just the size, it’s the low density.

Low density means you need more roads which are very carbon intensive, additionally it also means you have to drive everywhere. While in a city walking and biking are viable options in the suburbs moving as little as half a mile often means crossing multiple lanes of traffic, no side walks, and businesses that are built for cars and not people. To compound this even further, it’s not just that one person has to drive for pretty much everything, but everyone has to drive to get anything done which further increases the need of car infrastructure.

Suburbs are not scalable, they need to die as soon as possible, and at the very least we should tax their inefficiencies through a land value tax.

fvb955cd t1_j0a1gf0 wrote

I think the post-metro suburb green islands are really interesting. Gaithersburg and North Bethesda have a lot of big town center style development that make it a lot easier to walk/bike to shopping, have a mix of office and retail on-site, and also have bigger green spaces. But Reston doesn't have that (I don't know how comperable rtc is, I've never been there). And leisure world/Northern silver spring don't have that modern development style. I think the Gaithersburg green island is probably a mix of modern development styles and the working-middle class population.

Tony0x01 t1_j0a1mzy wrote

I think you're more correct. A household's home energy usage is the primary contributor to emissions, moreso than transit. I strongly suspect OP of this thread is mistaking correlation for causation.

the_bagel_warmonger t1_j0bgb35 wrote

Okay but if metro is convenient for them (which is possible) they absolutely will use it. Capitol Hill is also super high income, but the metro, biking, and walking are convenient enough that rich people still use them. Thus, the emissions there are lower than the nation. Manhattan is also absurdly wealthy, but has great transit and walkability, thus leading to emissions lower than the nation.

So yes, a rich walkable/transit served neighborhood will have more emissions than a poor one, but transit and walkability still leads to huge emissions reductions.

PrestigiousEbb4608 t1_j0bheu4 wrote

I understand what you’re saying. But I do not think that public transit is a huge driver for lowering overall emissions and this graph does not prove it.

I guarantee that you could do an overlay of this map with a map based on concentration of liquor stores, and the color scheme would be the same.

Does that also mean that when you put more liquor stores in an area that carbon emissions will go down? Or is there another explanation?

the_bagel_warmonger t1_j0bokri wrote

Liquor Stores don't increase housing density. Transit does. That's the difference ding dong.

Not to mention the obvious effect that transit has on transportation emissions.

Like I'm talking about transit as a second order (and first order via transportation) emissions reducer and you're responding with spurious correlations.

Literally not the same at all.

PrestigiousEbb4608 t1_j0bp0b9 wrote

You’re missing my point ding dong. My point is that more wealth equals more emissions. Less wealth equals less things like cars, big houses, boats, clothes, etc. I’m saying that the metro is a very small part of peoples overall carbon emissions. Yes if someone takes the train over their car, their personal emissions will go down. But people with lots of wealth (even if they take the metro) will totally negate that benefit with the other things they’re doing and buying.

PrestigiousEbb4608 t1_j0bp8z6 wrote

The liquor store comment was just showing that the map more closely correlates to the presence of wealth, not the presence of a metro. So I said you could also say “the presence of liquor stores drops carbon emissions”, “the presence of check cashing stores drops carbon emissions”, etc. None of those things are the real cause of lower emissions, it’s the lack of wealth which means they aren’t big players in consumerism.

PrestigiousEbb4608 t1_j0bpje2 wrote

The presence of a metro/bus stops/ public transit of any sort indicates lack of wealth. Because overwhelmingly, the users of public transit are poorer or just more dense overall.

But what happens to the majority of people when they aren’t a broke 23 year old anymore? They buy a house in the burbs and get a nice car to go with it. No more metro, and their emissions go up

PrestigiousEbb4608 t1_j0bpzca wrote

Exceptions to not refute the general consensus. Living in Capitol hill or Manhattan with a car can be extremely inconvenient between street parking, cost of private parking, and downtown traffic.

Plus everything that you will want to take your car to (whether it’s dinner or work) will also require a high cost to drive the vehicle.

But the wealthiest neighborhoods, like parts of PG county, Potomac, Great falls, etc., will never have those residents using the metro even if it’s somewhat close to their house.

It would be more of a hassle to drive to the metro, park, get on the metro, back on the metro, car, then drive home.

the_bagel_warmonger t1_j0bqly9 wrote

Capitol Hill and Manhattan are insanely wealthy, extremely well served by transit, and the rich do use them. And because they use them, their emissions are lower.

Your prejudices about who uses transit, and who lives where, are just that, prejudices. Your desperation to believe suburban lifestyles don't harm the environment does nothing to change the reality.

PrestigiousEbb4608 t1_j0bqr72 wrote

But that doesn’t even get to my main point. Irregardless of metro access, someone single living in a studio apartment making $45k per year, will never match the total emissions or carbon offset or whatever you call it, to the family with combined income of $500k living in a 6 bedroom house and 3 cars. Groceries, vacations , clothes. All produce emissions. Even if the entire family uses the metro, it will do nothing for the rest of their output.

the_bagel_warmonger t1_j0brqn8 wrote

Ease of car use is directly opposed to ease of transit/walkability/bikability. You can't have good transit/walkability/bikability with ubiquitous parking and car dependent infrastructure. So you're setting up an absurd hypothetical where driving was easy AND walking, transit, and biking were also easy THEN the rich would still use their car.

But those things can't coexist. Car infrastructure and culture is actively hostile and disruptive to all other forms of transportation. Good transit and walkability necessitates it being more difficult to drive.

So if anything you've just changed the nature of the second order causation from

Transit -> More housing -> less emissions

To

Transit -> less driving -> less emissions.

It's still causation.

the_bagel_warmonger t1_j0bsdha wrote

Your desperation to shift the discussion away from a real achievable goal (we should densify and increase transit to reduce emissions) to an absurd one (transit doesn't matter because of wealth so we should all just yell at the rich and not change our lifestyles)

PrestigiousEbb4608 t1_j0bsve8 wrote

From the beginning, you have missed my point. I never said transit doesn’t lower emissions. My main point, is that transit is a very small part of people’s overall emissions. So no it is not “the presence of transit” that predicts low emissions. Moreso it’s “the lack of wealth that predicts low emissions.” Irregardless of how they transport themselves

You’re getting emotional, and not understanding anything I’m saying.

the_bagel_warmonger t1_j0btc2p wrote

That lifestyle is incompatible with increased density and transit access. You're making my point for me. People in the richest parts of Manhattan are just as rich as the people in potomac, and yet they live in condos, walk, bike, take transit, and if they own a car, it's less cars that are driven less than they are in potomac.

The NYT data includes flights, goods, and services purchases. Despite ALL that, those ultra wealthy parts of Manhattan still have lower emissions than the rest of the country.

the_bagel_warmonger t1_j0bttpy wrote

Bro you are such a dense donut. For the 10th time, your assumption that this is only a wealth effect can be immediately refuted by the many walkable wealthy areas served by transit where emissions are lower than average. The data includes emissions for goods, services, etc. These areas still have lower emissions. Transportation is a much larger source than you seem to think.

orangeguy07 t1_j0bumee wrote

Exactly. The lower income areas seem to have lower emissions even when they are away for transit. It seems like there is definitely some correlation with transit availability, but that doesn't explain all of the variation. The West End of Alexandria (near the old Landmark Mall) is a lower income area with poor access to transit aside from buses. Then there is a pocket of wealthier residents in SFHs right next door that have some of the highest emissions in the area.

Simply saying that Metrorail access leads to lower carbon emissions is far too simplistic.

paulHarkonen t1_j0bwlwm wrote

Wealth also doesn't correlate directly as you can see the pockets of low emissions high wealth areas around stations especially along the orange, silver and blue lines.

It's almost as if carbon emissions and addressing climate change is an incredibly complicated and multi-layered problem that doesn't have simple answers or silver bullets to combat it.

Free_Dog_6837 t1_j0cyrzh wrote

yeah compare gaithersburg, which has no metro (or at least you have to drive or bus to shady grove) but has high density, with the maryland side of chevy chase, which is right by the bethesda metro but is all large SFHs