Submitted by Aiorr t3_ztywau in washingtondc

Hello,

My flight was moved to departure at 8 am on 24th. I am currently staying at Rockville MD, but I just found out DC metro does not run during small hours, so its either 1. I take the last metro at midnight and stay at airport overnight, or 2. pay $90 (looking at price atm) for uber to DCA at early morning.

If I arrive DCA past midnight (1:24 am according to google map), can I still go through security and chill at the gate area? I don't plan to sleep (i have work to do 🙃), and I would prefer going to the side beyond the entry check with actual chairs and table rather than sitting on the floor outside the entry check. Google search is giving me conflicting results, some saying TSA is 24/7, while some saying they opens at 4 am.

​

Edit: updated more back info.

Thank you all for informative answers 😊

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

snarkyturtle t1_j1gcff9 wrote

Heads up that there are lots of cancelled flights tonight and probably going on until tomorrow. It’s supposed to be the coldest on 4 years. Wouldn’t want you to rush all the way from Rockville to DCA and have to go back.

Aiorr OP t1_j1gcpyy wrote

Oh good call...!! fair chance it could be moved further or even cancelled. Probly better to just chill at cozy room and pay up for a ride (or take morning metro to delayed flight 😅) rather than to stay at airport for 6 extra hour only to be further delayed.

CriticalStrawberry t1_j1g9k4t wrote

Download the curb app. Get a taxi. Usually way cheaper than Uber/Lyft.

20CAS17 t1_j1h9dr5 wrote

Ugh, I wish the app would work for me - just stays on the opening screen, despite multiple reinstalls. When it worked, it was great.

OhHowIMeantTo t1_j1hwbsc wrote

Yeah, the app is terrible. Out of the 10 times I've tried to use it, it only worked maybe once.

Mac_N_Cheese_Plz t1_j1hxojl wrote

Are you serious? I've tried that app 10+ times and suceeded 0 times.

I even tried from DCA and it matched me to a driver, but the driver didn't move for 5 minutes. I called customer service using number in the app and they couldn't do anything except call me an accessivility van taxi (which i declined because I didn't need that).

Curb can not be trusted!

StreetPen t1_j1i52h9 wrote

Lol, you tried from DCA?

It's called a taxi stand...you walk to it and it's faster than literally any other option.

noahsilv t1_j1hzccp wrote

Why would you do it from DCA? just go to the taxi stand lol

CriticalStrawberry t1_j1hylo0 wrote

Wife and I travel for work regularly. Both have used the app every time without a single incident here and in NYC.

Guess we've just been lucky? Idk

Pipes_of_Pan t1_j1j0h64 wrote

Why would you use a taxi app and not the well-oiled machine of the airport taxi stand

l3ct3ur t1_j1g7wxw wrote

if you don’t want to pay $90 can you take a bus to get yourself most of the way and just Uber the last few miles so it’s a lot cheaper?

Astrosimi t1_j1g8akk wrote

Could also check if any bus lines near you start running around 6, that can at least get you closer to DCA and knock down the price of an Uber. That’s what I ended up having to do when I found this same thing out - the morning of my flight.

Aiorr OP t1_j1gazo8 wrote

Thank you for the idea! Unfortunately, bus time seems to be around the same. :/

[deleted] t1_j1g58ez wrote

2nd the taxi. Way cheaper.

alexzsdc t1_j1g4mm7 wrote

Take a taxi instead of Uber

Aiorr OP t1_j1g5w4s wrote

they are same price for me looking at fare estimate :(

solidrecommendations t1_j1g8i3z wrote

Don’t book on uber … curb app

FlowersBloomUntil t1_j1g95k0 wrote

I have occaisionally had problems with no available taxis when booked on the curb app - after waiting 20 minutes past the pickup window with the app still struggling to find a driver, I had to bite the bullet and take an uber. I imagine with the holiday & weather tomorrow, low availability may be a problem.

solidrecommendations t1_j1g9d83 wrote

In that case call the cab company or throw your hands in the ai-yirr and wave ‘em like you just don’t cayurrr and hail old school

soysauceninja13 t1_j1gbxfz wrote

i got to dca at 2:45 am a couple of weeks ago and didn’t have any trouble checking in and going through security, you should be fine

alldoingdoer t1_j1gaj6b wrote

Where are you coming from? If you’ve been checking around 9pm tonight it’s almost certainly higher than it’ll be at 6am tomorrow. You should probably just Uber tomorrow morning and hope it’ll be cheaper

sushi69 t1_j1g6kk5 wrote

Sleeping at the airport sucks ass. Way better to pack, set your clothes out before sleeping, wake up at 6 and arrive at DCA at 7 by cab

mango-rainbows t1_j1gazxt wrote

Are you staying at a hotel prior to your flight? The front desk may be able to help you if so.

10tonheadofwetsand t1_j1ipzhp wrote

I’m a bit late but for next time, if you plan to stay up anyway, Bob and Edith’s is a 24h diner and has a location 2 minutes from DCA on 23rd St.

Aiorr OP t1_j1jn4cy wrote

Oooo good to know! Never thought about diner option.

alexzsdc t1_j1g9ihq wrote

I had assumed you were in DC but Rockville is far

Aiorr OP t1_j1gahtm wrote

yeah.. I wasnt sure where to ask so I thought it would be best to ask where DCA is located. Then I learned DCA wasn't DC either.. heh

kikiindisguise t1_j1hwz0p wrote

OP! Did you make it to the airport and flight today?

Also — download Empower, it’s rates are far cheaper than Uber/Lyft, and a much larger margin goes to the driver (even on a $90 ride sometimes drivers just make $4 in Uber)

Aiorr OP t1_j1jmyep wrote

Thank you foe checking in!

Yes, I used one of taxi website redditor recommended me at under $40 rate :)

Yea! Wasnt aware of this whole uber/lyft thing. I will try empower next time.

toorigged2fail t1_j1lahk5 wrote

Empower is the master of bait and switch. They only estimate the fare.. the driver sets the rate only AFTER you request.

FxTree-CR2 t1_j1gd9z8 wrote

Use Empower to get to the Airport. But to answer your question, you should be able to get through so long as a flight is departing after you pass though. So basically, pick your train based on the last flight that departs out of your terminal rather than when the metro stops.

notapao t1_j1g66b1 wrote

Definitely do not try to rely on Uber or Lyft. Super shuttle is reliable if you pay for their express ride (not shared), but a taxi is your best bet.

BlakeClass t1_j1g7b7e wrote

Wait are you ‘in transit/route’ like at a layover or connecting flight? If so, you’re the airlines responsibility. They have to put you in a hotel and provide free travel but you basically have to demand it.

If you haven’t checked into your departing flight yet then you can disregard.

Aiorr OP t1_j1g7mhg wrote

no, it is not a layover. I should've made it clearer. I had something to attend to and currently staying in Rockville MD. My flight back home is departing at 8 am DCA. My initial plan was to take Redline then transfer to DCA but found out metro closes during the night unfortunately.

HauntingHarmonie t1_j1g8n6x wrote

You might check out hotels in pentagon and Crystal city with free airport shuttles, especially with the weather.

Otherwise, a taxi would be your best option. Call around to see who will leg you schedule ahead.

FlowersBloomUntil t1_j1g9b75 wrote

A reasonable suggestion but if a $90 uber fare is enough that they'd sleep in DCA, I imagine a hotel isn't in the cards

mandolin08 t1_j1gf7sy wrote

Yellow Cab will be there and be much cheaper than an Uber. Probably faster too.

Brickleberried t1_j1ikf30 wrote

Last time I flew into DCA after the metro closed, the taxi was 50% cheaper than Uber. I recommend trying the taxi. It was about $25 to Columbia Heights vs. $50 for Uber.

r2ddd2 t1_j1ivxkz wrote

I've never had a problem getting to the airport at late hours and getting through security. There are red eyes and 5am flights, they'll be there

Pipes_of_Pan t1_j1j0nxn wrote

To answer your question about whether the airport is open 24/7, you’ll be able to find a space to hang out. However, it’s a big gamble that your flight is going to go off at 8am without a hitch

Aiorr OP t1_j1jn75v wrote

Yep mine was delayed by an hr 😂

MarinaPinotLover t1_j1g8btt wrote

Yeah, sorry but I'd say you have to uber. Reserve it ahead of time just in case...this has worked in less dense areas where its harder to get a quick pickup - but I don't think the cold will lead to less drivers out on a busy weekend...

Brendduh t1_j1ioi4x wrote

Don’t use Uber, Empower

HMWmsn t1_j1j71bq wrote

YOu could look into a hotel neaby. They're roughly the same price as the uber, but would give you a better sleep. Some have free shuttles.

jmac78 t1_j1g6w7h wrote

You can download the Free2Move app and see if there are any cars around to drive yourself. I have taken an Uber to a car ($10) then rented a Free2Move from there to home ($15)

argentgrove t1_j1g9a9s wrote

Don't think you can end your Free2move trip outside of DC now. Plus they've been getting unreliable for me, my last trip left me stranded with my backpack locked inside the Free2move car

jmac78 t1_j1g9qkc wrote

Dang, good catch by you. I didn’t realize VA drop off (and pick up) wasn’t an option.

FlowersBloomUntil t1_j1g5qe2 wrote

No, you cannot wait on the secured side of the airport. You could stay in the unsecured side, but with the extremely low temps, I would not. It will be chilly, loud, and there may be a larger than usual homeless population

−1

Aiorr OP t1_j1g5v74 wrote

thank you. Guess I would need to pay up for a ride unfortunately :(

wondery1 t1_j1gqlm1 wrote

The previous commenter has no clue about DCA. Even with the new Renovations it is fully enclosed with no homeless