Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Too_LeDip_To_Quit t1_j2b2fui wrote

It's not that uncommon.

NorseTikiBar t1_j2b4sjl wrote

Yeah, I skated outside on the C&O Canal a few years back. It's been weird to see how many people are so insistent that things like that can't be done around here.

VishMeLuck OP t1_j2c0oji wrote

You could still do it. Saw it on my way around Georgetown today that it’s pretty frozen. Couldn’t put more than one photo on this sub in a single post

VishMeLuck OP t1_j2c0fk6 wrote

Good to know. It’s been 2-3 years in the dmv area but didn’t get to see these due to Covid years. No harm in telling people I am still new to this area

−1

not_a_gumby t1_j2b4k6p wrote

In 2018 it nearly froze completely over. We had just under 3 straight weeks of temperatures at or below freezing, and it went almost completely ice.

buxtonOJ t1_j2bph9c wrote

That winter sucked

not_a_gumby t1_j2brl8u wrote

yeah in terms of snowfall it wasn't the best but the average temp was quite lower than many winters since.

X12NOP t1_j2b0kec wrote

It used to freeze regularly and required Key Bridge to be built with extra reinforcement upstream to brace against the ice floes.

The older Aqueduct Bridge had to be replaced due to river ice damage

> Ice jams were a routine hazard on the Potomac River into the 1960s. Although the jams often stuck against the bridge, it weathered them well until 1908. Ice damaged some of the bridge's piers, requiring reconstruction of Pier No. 1 in the summer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueduct_Bridge_(Potomac_River)

StinkinFinger t1_j2dr0f6 wrote

It will again. We are in the positive (warm) phase of something called the North Atlantic Oscillation. It is a multi-decadal pattern in which the eastern seaboard experiences milder winters followed by decades of colder winters. When combined with El Niño we will have substantially more snow as well.

It can come out for a single winter. It’s pattern. We had a cold phase in 2010 and a strong El Niño and got hammered with ice storm after ice storm and had two blizzards. The coast got hit with three blizzards that winter

We’ve been in the positive phase since the late 80s.

KombuchaLady3 t1_j2dupl9 wrote

I was walking around the Wharf the day after Christmas and it the water was iced over completely. Amazing.

crawl_slo t1_j2dl3ro wrote

I’ve definitely seen ice-breaker ships going up the river opening up the channel. I can’t remember exactly how long ago that’s been but the Potomac does freeze over.

InsideFastball t1_j2bnpm4 wrote

Ah, yes... I see you too say climate change is a hoax.

​

...and before it's too late: /s

−1

VishMeLuck OP t1_j2c1po8 wrote

Lmao or I am saying “oh shit it used to be super frozen and now we see is bits and pieces?! Climate change!!”

UhrHerr t1_j2e0v5c wrote

Stay here longer than a year and you will…

−1