Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ballastboy1 t1_j6mmdc3 wrote

Just a reminder that there is zero valid evidence violence interrupters have any affect on reducing gun violence in DC.

dataminimizer t1_j6mn26r wrote

Seems to me that there is some evidence that they add to it.

gnucheese t1_j6mheih wrote

The violence interrupters are a pathetic use of public funding. The political will to continue funding this program is an example illustrating how incompetent our elected leadership has become.

gator_fl t1_j6nfd97 wrote

The violence interrupters and Safe Passage team are a pathetic use of public funding.

FTFY. Safe Passage team are getting a lot of criticism as well for not doing anything, including not showing up for their post.

malganis12 t1_j6nlzyb wrote

The VI program is effectively a cushy no-show jobs program for convicted violent felons. It's an insane use of taxpayer funds, especially as we're short hundreds of cops.

EastoftheCap t1_j6mko3g wrote

Good that the VI guy is walking around with an illegal firearm.

placeperson t1_j6my0jz wrote

I will note that I haven't actually seen the detail that the shooter was a violence interrupter in the news coverage of this incident on WaPo or WAMU. Is there any real journalist out there corroborating?

SamoyedLover420 t1_j6n1aee wrote

This is also the same guy who recently claimed GW Hospital was closed due to having an Ebola outbreak... and then refused to admit he was wrong.

​

Not the greatest source.

placeperson t1_j6n7357 wrote

> recently claimed GW Hospital was closed due to having an Ebola outbreak

well, who can say

citizentools t1_j6nk8hn wrote

Google News finds a number of articles confirming that an off duty (but vest-wearing) Safe Passage worker was shot. I read the top three, and there was no reference to Violence Interrupters.

Quick-kick95 t1_j6n7w2e wrote

I arrested a violence interrupter with a murderconviction and over 30 grand worth of drugs.

Charges dropped.

Sad story.

BubsterX1 t1_j6miqer wrote

I'm not sure if it is a requirement, but my understanding was that most if not all of the violence interrupters are convicted felons who have served time for violent felonies -- a mark of distinction that purportedly gives them the "street cred" to interact with people who are thinking about committing criminal violence.

If the violence interrupter involved in this shooting was a convicted felon, he/she was disqualified from owning/possessing firearms. Surely he/she was not eligible to obtain a DC concealed carry permit.

kirkl3s t1_j6mrtbn wrote

Wow crazy most murderers have their ccw absolutely insane that this guy didn’t

ta112233 t1_j6ol2fg wrote

I have no idea what those Safe Passage people do. I live by a school and there are 5-6 of them every day that just stand around chatting with each other. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one interact with a student.

Strawbrawry t1_j6nk7c5 wrote

who named these units? Miles Bron of the Glass Onion?

don_denti t1_j6p2ukz wrote

I didn’t even know this was a thing. Violence interrupter? Defuq. Those people don’t seem to understand what the problem with gun is fundamentally. The nicest and with most golden heart person with a gun would still brandish it. And end someone on the spot. Loads of people are sick sick out there. And having such weapons could make them become a smoke away from doing the unthinkable.

haroldhecuba88 t1_j6mc2xc wrote

Is this English? As in British? What does an unsafe passage worker look like?

−9

gator_fl t1_j6nfowv wrote

Basically, kids going into or coming out of schools fight and occassionally shoot at each other. Safe Passage workers are supposed to be there so they don't get violent.