Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

haroldhecuba88 t1_j6mc2xc wrote

Is this English? As in British? What does an unsafe passage worker look like?

−9

gnucheese t1_j6mheih wrote

The violence interrupters are a pathetic use of public funding. The political will to continue funding this program is an example illustrating how incompetent our elected leadership has become.

BubsterX1 t1_j6miqer wrote

I'm not sure if it is a requirement, but my understanding was that most if not all of the violence interrupters are convicted felons who have served time for violent felonies -- a mark of distinction that purportedly gives them the "street cred" to interact with people who are thinking about committing criminal violence.

If the violence interrupter involved in this shooting was a convicted felon, he/she was disqualified from owning/possessing firearms. Surely he/she was not eligible to obtain a DC concealed carry permit.

EastoftheCap t1_j6mko3g wrote

Good that the VI guy is walking around with an illegal firearm.

ballastboy1 t1_j6mmdc3 wrote

Just a reminder that there is zero valid evidence violence interrupters have any affect on reducing gun violence in DC.

placeperson t1_j6my0jz wrote

I will note that I haven't actually seen the detail that the shooter was a violence interrupter in the news coverage of this incident on WaPo or WAMU. Is there any real journalist out there corroborating?

Quick-kick95 t1_j6n7w2e wrote

I arrested a violence interrupter with a murderconviction and over 30 grand worth of drugs.

Charges dropped.

Sad story.

gator_fl t1_j6nfd97 wrote

The violence interrupters and Safe Passage team are a pathetic use of public funding.

FTFY. Safe Passage team are getting a lot of criticism as well for not doing anything, including not showing up for their post.

Strawbrawry t1_j6nk7c5 wrote

who named these units? Miles Bron of the Glass Onion?

ta112233 t1_j6ol2fg wrote

I have no idea what those Safe Passage people do. I live by a school and there are 5-6 of them every day that just stand around chatting with each other. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one interact with a student.

don_denti t1_j6p2ukz wrote

I didn’t even know this was a thing. Violence interrupter? Defuq. Those people don’t seem to understand what the problem with gun is fundamentally. The nicest and with most golden heart person with a gun would still brandish it. And end someone on the spot. Loads of people are sick sick out there. And having such weapons could make them become a smoke away from doing the unthinkable.