Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

JoJoRenegade t1_iy3pe0z wrote

How do you cauterize unless there's outlets hooked up onto generators

flash-tractor t1_iy41jfw wrote

Or keep the room under positive pressure? Surgery rooms keep air constantly flowing through HEPA/ULPA filters to maintain positive pressure and prevent particle incursion.

trophosphere t1_iy4qhze wrote

Preaching to the choir but I am sure that you know surgeries have been successful done in the past without positive pressure rooms. If a surgery needs to be done emergently/urgently then just get it done.

zJordan t1_iy5eixo wrote

You do what you can I guess, it is not ideal but neither is using a torch. Standard post op antibiotics should hopefully suffice.

I think we forget Ukraine is a war zone, the fact they're somewhat functioning normally is impressive.

flash-tractor t1_iy5etem wrote

My mother in law died from antibiotic resistant bacteria she caught at the hospital, which is why this part stood out to me.

Temporary_Draw_4708 t1_iy5ztav wrote

Multi drug resistant bacteria of concern are generally just on surfaces and not airborne.

__R055__ t1_iy4tcci wrote

So a surgery room is ideal for applying screen protectors without getting dust under the screen protector?😮

[deleted] t1_iy4fv81 wrote

[deleted]

−5

SnipingShamrock t1_iy4t3zv wrote

I don’t think it’s about laminar flow all laminar flow relates to is the turbulence or Reynolds’s number of the flow, the reason you want positive pressure is so outside air won’t contaminate due to pressure difference. All that matters is you have air constantly being pumped into the room.

JoJoRenegade t1_iy5ajbx wrote

Ahh my bad I thought what was mentioned was laminar flow. Currently doing my clinicals for surg tech now I know that I have to touch up on that portion

SnipingShamrock t1_iy5ow3b wrote

I think labs have something crazy like 6 full air changed an hour which means they need to essentially pump in 6 or more rooms full of air every single hour and this massive CFM (cubic feet per minute) load generates a large pressure difference in the room so it’s impossible for the unpressurized hallway to contaminate. pretty cool imo

SomexBadxNoob t1_iy5zhxx wrote

We do the reverse for asbestos abatement. Negative pressure so no fibers escape.

flight_recorder t1_iy4wegn wrote

No laminar flow needed. It’s impossible to perfectly seal a room like that (well, not impossible. Just extremely expensive) so they pump in a large volume of fresh filtered air which ensures that any leaks result in filtered air escaping out instead of unfiltered air sneaking in.

JoJoRenegade t1_iy5ap6v wrote

Ahh mb thought the filters and positive pressure was laminar flow. Currently doing my clinicals for Scrub tech. I'm gonna need to touch up on or requirements

robul0n t1_iy5u0d8 wrote

Laminar just refers to the state/mixing of the liquid, smooth stream down a calm brook would be laminar, white water rapids would be turbulent. The Reynolds number is just a convenient dimensionless benchmark (dependent on the geometry of the situation if memory serves me right) for defining the boundary between the two types, which is usually kind of fuzzy.

JoJoRenegade t1_iy60t0p wrote

Yup, it's coming together, now. Saw a video on reddit of Laminar Flow, and my brain connected the two together. Good thing I didn't tell my preceptor that lmao

[deleted] t1_iy4izj8 wrote

Torch + Metal?

But I imagine there are generators. With the exception of cauterizing, it is relatively low wattage with LED lights and infrequent uses of motorized tools.

This is making me wonder, do most people have generators? They are cheap enough in the US. Heating a house is different than having gasoline based electricity, but I can't quite picture electricity being the issue. But hey, I don't work for the hospital.

DemonPoro t1_iy7cjxj wrote

Most people don't have generators in Ukraine. Let's just say they are expensive. Because many people wanted them prices went up. You can get some cheap generator in US for 3000-4000 watt of power for 300-400 USD. In Ukraine right now 2000 watt generator starts at around 1000 USD. And gasoline is not cheap.. same story with deep cycle battery and invertors.

ZoraksGirlfriend t1_iy4sg7x wrote

I live just outside a neighborhood with > $2million dollar homes and those houses pretty much all have generators. The houses in the part of the state I live in are crazy expensive, so the homes in that neighborhood are large, but not crazy since $2 million doesn’t buy a whole lot here.

JasonGD1982 t1_iyd7tfa wrote

They dont. They just give up. Haha are you serious. How did they do surgery 100 years ago??