Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

pachechka1 t1_iy3p3zu wrote

These people are heroes.

[deleted] t1_iy4l7jf wrote

[deleted]

−37

Andreastheslimjim t1_iy4no64 wrote

Imagine being in an actual warzone and you're stuck using a flashlight to literally save people's lives one by one and then some redditor goes "well the word heroes is lame now bro hurr"

Corey307 t1_iy4vs0k wrote

Except these are actual heroes and your complaint does not make sense. The field medics, trauma surgeons and nurses are fighting for their country same as the infantry, tank crews and pilots.

PeregrinePacifica t1_iy4xsgm wrote

It does, it's saying the word hero doesn't do them justice anymore. What they are dealing with is a whole nother level of hell and yet they persevere because they have no choice, because they must, because so many are counting on them.

−14

tobias_fuunke t1_iy59c17 wrote

No they absolutely have a choice. If they really wanted to run away, they could flee and escape the country. They bravely CHOOSE to stay in Ukraine and operate on their patients despite the war and chaos. Textbook heroes. You sound stupid. Maybe your own cynic views of the world give little meaning to the word “heroes” because of your weird and unfounded COVID argument. In Ukraine we say “Heroyam Slava” (Glory to the Heroes) for a reason.

relganUnchained t1_iy5fugw wrote

A few days before I was able to leave Bucha, very early March, I stumbled upon two men struggling with something under a car hood. One of them complained about not having a wrench of a particular size. My first thought was that they're just trying to take off the battery to charge something. I said that I have a toolbox in my car so me and one of them went to fetch it. Once we approached my car, he said that they were actually after the headlight's lightbulb. The man was working in the nearby hospital and they already put together a fixture to illuminate surgeries without power, but the lightbulb was dim. My car is an older simpler model so it was much easier to get it from mine than from his. I happily donated the lightbulb and went on my way. A few days later I was able to drive away to a safer place, a week or so before russians started shooting at every man who dared go outside. I still wonder if these heroes survived the massacre, I really hope they did.

JoJoRenegade t1_iy3pe0z wrote

How do you cauterize unless there's outlets hooked up onto generators

flash-tractor t1_iy41jfw wrote

Or keep the room under positive pressure? Surgery rooms keep air constantly flowing through HEPA/ULPA filters to maintain positive pressure and prevent particle incursion.

trophosphere t1_iy4qhze wrote

Preaching to the choir but I am sure that you know surgeries have been successful done in the past without positive pressure rooms. If a surgery needs to be done emergently/urgently then just get it done.

zJordan t1_iy5eixo wrote

You do what you can I guess, it is not ideal but neither is using a torch. Standard post op antibiotics should hopefully suffice.

I think we forget Ukraine is a war zone, the fact they're somewhat functioning normally is impressive.

flash-tractor t1_iy5etem wrote

My mother in law died from antibiotic resistant bacteria she caught at the hospital, which is why this part stood out to me.

Temporary_Draw_4708 t1_iy5ztav wrote

Multi drug resistant bacteria of concern are generally just on surfaces and not airborne.

__R055__ t1_iy4tcci wrote

So a surgery room is ideal for applying screen protectors without getting dust under the screen protector?😮

[deleted] t1_iy4fv81 wrote

[deleted]

−5

SnipingShamrock t1_iy4t3zv wrote

I don’t think it’s about laminar flow all laminar flow relates to is the turbulence or Reynolds’s number of the flow, the reason you want positive pressure is so outside air won’t contaminate due to pressure difference. All that matters is you have air constantly being pumped into the room.

JoJoRenegade t1_iy5ajbx wrote

Ahh my bad I thought what was mentioned was laminar flow. Currently doing my clinicals for surg tech now I know that I have to touch up on that portion

SnipingShamrock t1_iy5ow3b wrote

I think labs have something crazy like 6 full air changed an hour which means they need to essentially pump in 6 or more rooms full of air every single hour and this massive CFM (cubic feet per minute) load generates a large pressure difference in the room so it’s impossible for the unpressurized hallway to contaminate. pretty cool imo

SomexBadxNoob t1_iy5zhxx wrote

We do the reverse for asbestos abatement. Negative pressure so no fibers escape.

flight_recorder t1_iy4wegn wrote

No laminar flow needed. It’s impossible to perfectly seal a room like that (well, not impossible. Just extremely expensive) so they pump in a large volume of fresh filtered air which ensures that any leaks result in filtered air escaping out instead of unfiltered air sneaking in.

JoJoRenegade t1_iy5ap6v wrote

Ahh mb thought the filters and positive pressure was laminar flow. Currently doing my clinicals for Scrub tech. I'm gonna need to touch up on or requirements

robul0n t1_iy5u0d8 wrote

Laminar just refers to the state/mixing of the liquid, smooth stream down a calm brook would be laminar, white water rapids would be turbulent. The Reynolds number is just a convenient dimensionless benchmark (dependent on the geometry of the situation if memory serves me right) for defining the boundary between the two types, which is usually kind of fuzzy.

JoJoRenegade t1_iy60t0p wrote

Yup, it's coming together, now. Saw a video on reddit of Laminar Flow, and my brain connected the two together. Good thing I didn't tell my preceptor that lmao

[deleted] t1_iy4izj8 wrote

Torch + Metal?

But I imagine there are generators. With the exception of cauterizing, it is relatively low wattage with LED lights and infrequent uses of motorized tools.

This is making me wonder, do most people have generators? They are cheap enough in the US. Heating a house is different than having gasoline based electricity, but I can't quite picture electricity being the issue. But hey, I don't work for the hospital.

DemonPoro t1_iy7cjxj wrote

Most people don't have generators in Ukraine. Let's just say they are expensive. Because many people wanted them prices went up. You can get some cheap generator in US for 3000-4000 watt of power for 300-400 USD. In Ukraine right now 2000 watt generator starts at around 1000 USD. And gasoline is not cheap.. same story with deep cycle battery and invertors.

ZoraksGirlfriend t1_iy4sg7x wrote

I live just outside a neighborhood with > $2million dollar homes and those houses pretty much all have generators. The houses in the part of the state I live in are crazy expensive, so the homes in that neighborhood are large, but not crazy since $2 million doesn’t buy a whole lot here.

JasonGD1982 t1_iyd7tfa wrote

They dont. They just give up. Haha are you serious. How did they do surgery 100 years ago??

turboRock t1_iy41m4h wrote

My friend had no power from 9am until about 6pm. She's trying to teach her class of kids online, which is obviously a little difficult...

ghaze3000 t1_iy3gv99 wrote

Playing on “hard mode” eh?

vertigo7__ t1_iy5ctrn wrote

Question, would solar and wind charging batteries be viable to give Ukrainians enough power to heat their homes or secret town centers? I know it's winter but removing dependence on the grid for a few things will go a long way.

Styrbj0rn t1_iy6g7v7 wrote

No it wouldn't. Not enough to make a difference.

-Prophet_01- t1_iy7d83u wrote

Wind is not a good option. Just too difficult and slow to set up. Solar could work for electricity in small hospitals and such but hardly much more. It would still take longer to set up than a generator and for hospitals you really want a generator as backup regardless. Solar seems viable for communal centers though.

Heating with electricity is out of the question since resistant heating is the only thing you could set up in time and that's a power hog you really don't want in times of shortages. They might have to do it in some hospitals but it'll be tough on fuel logistics for sure. Coal, wood and fixing the grid asap are the best options for heating.

Germany recently delivered a number of generators from the disaster response teams. I hope those will help.

AcidTWister t1_iy4qbit wrote

Have they contacted Greg Abbott? I hear he's great with this stuff.

Pillbugly t1_iy64kka wrote

Mission: redditor mustn’t make unrelated post about U.S. politics for 5 minutes.

Difficulty: impossible.

ozovision t1_iy5tqob wrote

Garbage world populated by heroes and bastards

smittyc1979 t1_iy6ce9u wrote

Sad situation for the poor Ukrainians 😢 😞

shkarada t1_iy44c4y wrote

The sheer grim determination of the Ukrainian people is... terrifying. It almost feels inhuman.

MadFameCellGames t1_iy4x49p wrote

Why did it take so long for a generator to take over? 3 minutes is about 2 minutes and 57 seconds too long in New York Hospitals.

I understand that this is obviously a war zone but generally an ats switch handles a generator take over. Even when an ats fails, a manual switchover takes seconds.

−3

nhijaega t1_iy4827e wrote

Then stop sending fucking diesels to warfront and use it for civilians

−20

IcyNefariousness8987 t1_iy4aw0b wrote

Something tells me this war isn’t really going the way it’s being reported by American news outlets.

−28

Colecoman1982 t1_iy6d07v wrote

What the hell are you talking about? American (and other western) news outlets have been talking about the Russian war crimes (attacking civilian infrastructure like power and hospitals) for weeks now. The very news story you are commenting on right here is a clear example where they are discussing the blackouts Ukrainian hospitals are having to endure due to the actions of the Russian murderers. None of that, of course, changes the fact that in anything resembling an actual military situation, the Russians are steadily getting their incompetent asses kicked back to their own country's boarders.

IcyNefariousness8987 t1_iy6e81u wrote

The narrative has taken a awfully coincidental change since it’s not trendy to support the war. But I’ll leave the big brain stuff to the pros like you. It’s your world I’m just living in it.

−1

Heoro-Mazgraev t1_iy4iwsc wrote

Well, guess what? you don't win the war just by bombing trenches with drones. Ukraine by itself cannot win the war, they would've lost it weeks after the invasion if it wasn't for west support, and that's not gonna last much longer either. Plus, there's no such thing as "pure solidarity" from OTAN with Ukraine, they have to show results just like with any business.

−17

PSPHAXXOR t1_iy4nr9i wrote

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm pretty sure NATO (of which you're allowed to say) is seeing whatever results they want to see, as evidenced by Ukraine slowly but very surely removing the fascist invaders from their borders.

Heoro-Mazgraev t1_iy4orlf wrote

This is not just a "war against fascism", is about weakening asian economy. We haven't seen such drastic economic sanctions against a country since the Cuban revolution.

−17

PSPHAXXOR t1_iy4pr4v wrote

Those sanctions are designed to both cripple Russia's war machine and act as a deterrent against other nations invading their neighbors.

Heoro-Mazgraev t1_iy4qs0r wrote

I haven’t seen such measures taken against Israel, France, Azerbaijan, Turkey or even Ukraine in the last 10 years. That is when you notice that there’s something else.

−13

PSPHAXXOR t1_iy4ruo9 wrote

None of those countries have attempted to invade and genocide another country. So, there's that.

Wolfgnads t1_iy4txu0 wrote

(I agree with you)

Even if those countries have done bad(just playing devils advocate) stuff Russia is doing it on unprecedented scale. Plus USSR-> Russia has been the western bogeyman since WW2 so fuck em. The west did not make them the bogeyman, they did that themselves. Little did we know the bogeyman got old, decrepit, and corrupt. Not to mention the sheer anger that the Russians project towards everyone else for their own failures. The west/ jews/ nazis/ gays/ bio-engineered super humans didn't cause them to fall from grace, they did that them damn selves with their isolation and pretending they are superior. When infact no people is superior to any others. We are all human and fucked up in our own right.

VreathEU t1_iy4uaw8 wrote

There would be no sanctions if those filthy criminals wouldn't have invaded a sovereign nation.

IcyNefariousness8987 t1_iy4k58z wrote

Yeah that’s my point, we’re being fed something a little different than the truth.

−12

choose_an_alt_name t1_iy3bjle wrote

As It turns out, hospitals need constant energy and can't afford to rationate energy, the simple solution would be to reduce the time everyone else's gets energy, i am sure they will understand

−41

spiteful_rr_dm_TA t1_iy3ldk2 wrote

It's not like there is much choice. This isn't a case of "entitled people keep playing video games while doctor's operate in the dark", this is a case of "A terrorist country is bombing innocent people in the middle of winter as part of a campaign of terror regardless of the casualties, and civilians are being forced to choose between heating their homes in the middle of a bitter winter, and powering the hospital"

Fuck ruzzia for doing this. Fuck ruzzians for allowing this to happen.

Kajega t1_iy3zzd0 wrote

Isn't it because it's being destroyed? I don't think it's a usage issue...

Corey307 t1_iy4w1dn wrote

Russia keeps attacking Ukrainian infrastructure like power plants. Outages are caused both by attacks on the power grid and shortages due to lack of resources both.