Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LostHisDog t1_j5vjjtc wrote

I sure hope no one in China is still pissed about that time the west got nearly their entire country hooked on heroin... cuz I can imagine that might be sort of a sticky point if it comes up.

AMAFSH t1_j5x9pyy wrote

Opium War Three, the Re-opiuming.

Goodkat203 t1_j5w6ovt wrote

About as likely as America deciding to not help Taiwan in the event of a Chinese invasion on the basis of being pissed about that time the east bombed Pearl Harbor.

0pimo t1_j5wg4tv wrote

I imagine that the CCP is doing it intentionally and this is part of the reason why.

Assuming the CCP is our friend is dumb.

The only solution is to tell them to stop, or we stop exporting energy and food to them and they can starve.

−4

Propagation931 t1_j5xcuz5 wrote

>or we stop exporting energy and food to them and they can starve.

Couldnt they just import energy nd food from somewhere else? Not to mention the pushback from the respective food nd energy sectors which would hurt politically (since the trade deficit with China likely went up cus u killed exports) esp with 2024 elections so close.

Sweaty_Maybe1076 OP t1_j61j58w wrote

No. The US is the largest producer of food in the world

Propagation931 t1_j61jc9x wrote

>No. The US is the largest producer of food in the world

US is third behind India and China in terms of production. US is top in terms of exports, but its not like those all go to China which is geographically pretty far.

Sweaty_Maybe1076 OP t1_j61q5we wrote

Do you know why the entire food chain is disrupted right now? Ukraine. And they do not hold a candle to the US exports.

If the US were to cease food production (exports), the entire comforts you know will cease to exist, regardless of the country you live in

Propagation931 t1_j61yy5y wrote

>If the US were to cease food production (exports),

Presumably, the US wouldnt cease exports to all countries if its beef was with China and drugs. In fact, doing so would greatly strengthen China on the diplomatic stage since the US just pissed off almost every1 due to. The Hardest hit would be the pooerer countries like in Africa and Latin America which are also the countries China is trying to woo.

>entire food chain is disrupted

Not to mention the huge domestic issues from basically wrecking a huge portion of its export industry and all the jobs and families it would affect. The current opposition (Republicans) would pounce on this claiming the Dems basically destroyed tons of Jobs, starved a ton of poor countries, and raised the Trade Deficit. The Dems could basically kiss 2024 and likely 2026 good bye.

Sweaty_Maybe1076 OP t1_j5vm3pk wrote

Source?

−27

elshankar t1_j5vnbyr wrote

Do you really need a source for that? There were 2 wars fought over the issue.

WikiSummarizerBot t1_j5vndq9 wrote

Opium Wars

>The Opium Wars (simplified Chinese: 鸦片战争; traditional Chinese: 鴉片戰爭 Yāpiàn zhànzhēng) were two conflicts waged between China and Western powers during the mid-19th century. The First Opium War was fought from 1839 to 1842 between China and the United Kingdom, and was triggered by the Chinese government's campaign to enforce its prohibition against opium trafficking by British merchants. The Second Opium War was waged by Britain and France against China from 1856 to 1860.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)

herpaderp43321 t1_j5w9v03 wrote

so...150 something years ago if the bot is correct? Damn talk about holding a grudge. Then again maybe china WONT be sore about it if they find out we can just do it again...and this time around they won't be able to do much about it.

−17

m0le t1_j5xdjoh wrote

You think 150 years is a long time to hold a grudge? Hahaha you sweet summer child. Ask the Irish how they feel about the potato famine, or the English about the French in general, or indeed pretty much any European country about pretty much all of their neighbours.

herpaderp43321 t1_j5y5r0v wrote

Thought the EU mostly had their issues worked out? Plus another commenter said china hates the west for "picking on them when they were too weak to do anything about it" as if the only reason china isn't strong right now is cause of the west. It's like they don't understand if they get caught off, they collapse basically on the spot. It's in their best interest here to just let something like the drug wars and what not go if they really want to prosper.

m0le t1_j5y7aso wrote

Nope. The EU as a whole has major tensions historical and current, and always will. That doesn't stop them working together when necessary but can be a little awkward. It's like an ex you've got serious history with - kids and shared property, say. Most of the time you're civil to each other, every so often it gets bitter and horrible for a while but you always manage to grit your teeth and get a working relationship going again because it'd just be disastrous if you didn't. Britain is currently sulking in the corner though sent some apology flowers to get everyone to help out their neighbour Ukraine. It's all fun and games until it turns vicious.

dumpmaster42069 t1_j5wqap0 wrote

Yeah actually most of China is still very pissed about the centuries of disrespect the west showed them when they were to weak to do anything. You’re talking about a country with a very Long view on time going backwards or forwards

Sweaty_Maybe1076 OP t1_j5yiuz9 wrote

It's convenient to have totally omitted ww2

−2

dumpmaster42069 t1_j60rmf9 wrote

Yeah well things happened fast after that. Kinda spoiled the happy feelings.

Sweaty_Maybe1076 OP t1_j60ttsx wrote

You mean a soviet proxy civil war attempt which installed Mao whom only a few years later caused the great family which killed 55 million people?

The only spoiled feelings after that I imagine is the CCP officials knowing you picked the wrong side

x_is_mad t1_j5vgw8t wrote

Stop making Fent and start making MXE again. It's only fair.

__The__Anomaly__ t1_j5vnnck wrote

What's MXE?

x_is_mad t1_j5wdg78 wrote

Methoxetamine. It was made in China but was banned. Its similar to ketamine.

GoPointers t1_j5xbx8d wrote

No way. China banned something that they could profit off of while trying to destroy the West? Don't believe it.

−5

wart365 t1_j5wm4h6 wrote

So long as I can order a vial of "research" chemicals from China I can order fentanyl. This is a problem with how the US makes it so easy to buy such chemicals and import them. If the government had any balls, they'd just restrict such imports entirely except to accredited institutions and licensed pharmacists. It'd shove it all into an underground black market, but it's already a grey market and it can start a discussion about decriminalizing possession and focusing on distribution instead.

H4xolotl t1_j5wxzo2 wrote

Waltuh: "I'm something of a pharmacist myself"

m0le t1_j5xd6rn wrote

I'm surprised more countries haven't gone the way the UK did and passed deeply flawed legislation against everything psychoactive (with exceptions for some preexisting stuff).

Despite it theoretically outlawing stuff like incense, it doesn't seem to have been abused so far.

Temnothorax t1_j5xi1bo wrote

Why would a pharmacist even need research chemicals unless they were in academia?

chadenright t1_j5xcy0q wrote

If we decriminalized possession we'd have to fuel our prison industry with some other widespread crime. Maybe make driving 5 over the speed limit into a felony with a three strikes rule; third time you're 20 to life.

I mean, those corporations gotta profit right? They employ like literally a million prison guards, and if we stopped feeding people into the machine all those guards would be out a job.

Luckily between the cartels, the pharmacies and the for-profit prison corps there is plenty of money to bribe congress with and a majority of corrupt congress critters right now. We won't have to worry about winning the drug war any time in the near future.

dumpmaster42069 t1_j5wpx7q wrote

Revenge for the opium wars in full swing. They have a long memory.

Midnight2012 t1_j5xttnl wrote

It's funny. They claim the British pushing opium was unethical.

And then when they have the chance they do the same exact thing. Hypocrites.

−11

42WallabyStreet t1_j5xyuje wrote

Nah more like payback

Midnight2012 t1_j5ya2fi wrote

So then if what the British did was wrong, then what china is doing is wrong too.

But they don't see it that way? Hence the definition of hypocrisy.

The Americans wernt even involved in the opium war numb nuts. Send the fentanyl to England.

−3

dumpmaster42069 t1_j60rqil wrote

Nations don’t give a fuck about right and wrong. Just in the interest of or opposed to.

Midnight2012 t1_j61j4tn wrote

Ok, sucks for you. Some nations at least try to stand up for their values, even if not all the time successful.

[deleted] t1_j5vul0l wrote

[deleted]

temporarycreature t1_j5vv4oq wrote

I don't think that's a training problem, my friend, that's a lobbying and corruption problem.

wastingvaluelesstime t1_j5x3hg2 wrote

that's no longer the main issue. It was 20 years ago, but now it is a china->mexico->us pipe killing 100k annually

chadenright t1_j5xdfl3 wrote

It is still a problem. I had a major surgery in 2020 and coming out of it my options for painkillers were opiods or nothing. I chose nothing and am not an addict today because of it.

wastingvaluelesstime t1_j5xe8we wrote

yeah it is offered too easily for stuff where tylenol and/or ibuprofen would be serviceable. But the illicit fentanyl is where the bulk of the body count is coming from this year

Larderite1 t1_j5yrld2 wrote

Another "Chinese bad"

China actually put the entire fentanyl class of drugs under control back in 2018, on the eve of a trade war. At Trump's request.

The problem is that the demand for illegal fentanyl in the United States still exists, so India began to export large amounts of fentanyl to Mexico for Americans to smoke, in fact, Americans can now smoke illegal fentanyl on the market are basically Indian goods.

But why not go to India to talk? You see, there are two kinds of anti-drug, one is the real anti-drug, and one is to say "China is bad" in the name of anti-drug

Sweaty_Maybe1076 OP t1_j5zh2fo wrote

A drug Classification means nothing. Here is a map you can check for origins. China is still the largest exporter of illicit Fentanyl

−3

autotldr t1_j5vkhn2 wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 72%. (I'm a bot)

> The United States is "Actively seeking to reengage" China on counternarcotics, including stopping the flow of illicit synthetic drugs like fentanyl into the U.S., said the State Department ahead of Secretary of State Antony Blinken's visit to Beijing in early February.

> "Though its past action has helped counter illicit synthetic drug flows, we do hope to see additional action from the PRC - meaningful, concrete action - to curb the diversion of precursor chemicals and equipment used by criminals to manufacture fentanyl and other synthetic drugs," State Department spokesperson Ned Price told VOA this week.

> While Beijing is no longer a major source of the synthetic opioid flowing to the United States, U.S. officials said Washington continues to see Chinese-origin precursor chemicals being used in illicit fentanyl production and other illicit synthetic drugs.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: drug^#1 fentanyl^#2 State^#3 synthetic^#4 U.S.^#5

DavefromKS t1_j5wflg5 wrote

He's a Blinken beacon.

wastingvaluelesstime t1_j5x3szc wrote

if we really want to put brakes on this there has be some consideration that would cause china or mexico to do something, or some direct action against those doing the smuggling

Varrocker93 t1_j5x5mwo wrote

Literally halfway to blinkerton

Bring_Bring_Duh_Ello t1_j5xe5tk wrote

I think the fentanyl trade will pressure the US to legalize certain drugs.

jimbalaya420 t1_j5xpuk5 wrote

Interesting how those in power getting hit with fent drugs

lamplike t1_j5yfxcp wrote

So much nationalist hate in the comments here. Forgive me for no sauce but many experts have found the best solution is for America to decriminalize drugs and educate the population on drug safety.

T4lsin t1_j61iq7w wrote

That would foil china’s plan

Speculawyer t1_j5xj9pk wrote

No Malarkey will be tolerated.

piouiy t1_j5yf5lo wrote

China won’t stop. They know this goes on but they’re perfectly happy to let it continue. Anything which causes disruption in America is good from their POV.

Larderite1 t1_j5ys6ic wrote

>虽然北京不再是流向美国的合成阿片类药物的主要来源,但美国官员表示,华盛顿继续看到源自中国的前体化学品被用于非法生产芬太尼和其他非法合成药物。

Guess what, India is actually the number one supplier of fentanyl to the United States.

But it's easier to say "China bad", right?

Peter_Rainey t1_j5yb4m7 wrote

Just block chynese exporters from doibg business, watch them come running

−1

Asianfirst t1_j5vcygr wrote

China needs to pay for what Americans put into their own bodies

−11

DayOfDingus t1_j5x6cup wrote

I guess we can just blame the Chinese for being dumbasses and getting addicted to heroine a bit ago, mr Asian first?

Midnight2012 t1_j5xtq0s wrote

Just like the west need to pay for what the chinese put in their bodies during the opium war?

Sweaty_Maybe1076 OP t1_j5ve14o wrote

Is it the drug dealer or the drug user that is the criminal?

−5