Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NeurodiverseTurtle t1_j5p9vb8 wrote

Because they’re doing business with a terrorist regime. Simple as that.

−12

Turtlehead88 t1_j5puv4q wrote

Just say you want to withhold medicine from the Russian people. You’re just beating around the bush.

Ayylmaothoughyaknow t1_j5r48nx wrote

I don’t think they want that. They want no business done with Russia, and any unfortunate examples of such “no business” is just blood on the hands of the Russian leadership.

−9

Turtlehead88 t1_j5r4lpm wrote

You can’t just ignore the consequences of a policy. There are specific exemptions in the sanctions for this very reason

Culverin t1_j5rcaqc wrote

That seems fine to say right?

Stop your people from killing Ukranian children and raping Ukranian women and you get your medicine.

You want to be treated with civility? Then act civilized.

−17

Turtlehead88 t1_j5rcl10 wrote

That can have unintended consequences. Total war is a great way to push the public to rally around their leader.

Culverin t1_j5t1ufh wrote

Absolutely I agree with those unintended consequences that could happen. Doesn't mean they will though.

I'm the same way Russian people want to be part of the modern western world, they are accountable for their own country. They swarmed and waited for hours when McDonald's came to Russia. At the end of the day, they do understand western products, science and medicine.

titan1655 t1_j5qjsh8 wrote

Did you call the US a terrorist regime when they attacked North Korean, Vietnam, funded terrorism in Afghanistan, invaded Afghanistan, invaded Iraq, funded military militia in South American countries, is funding Israel even though they are committing similar crimes in Palestina as Russia is doing in Ukraine?

If you did, then you have the right to call Russia a terrorist regime. If not, you have no right to call any countries regime a terrorist regime, especially if you are an US citizen (I don't know if you are).

ThrowAwayAway755 t1_j5v993m wrote

There are SO many blatant mischaracterizations and false comparisons in your statement that it’s not even worth my time. But I must comment that the situation in Israel regarding Palestinians is NOT AT ALL comparable to the situation between Russia and Ukraine. I’m not taking sides in that conflict, I’m simply looking at the reality of that situation. You would have to be ignorant of all the facts of each situation to even make that comparison. Go read about history and FACTS, and shut your inflammatory, ignorant blowhole

WealthyMarmot t1_j5ss0as wrote

> North Korean, Vietnam

Without making any comment on the morality of the prosecution of the wars after they'd begun, both North Korea and North Vietnam were the aggressors against US allies, not the other way around.

> invaded Iraq

The first time was a international UN-sanctioned operation, the second was less defensible but let's not make false equivalencies between Iraq and Ukraine, given that Iraq was led by probably the single worst mass-murderer on the planet.

> is funding Israel even though they are committing similar crimes in Palestina as Russia is doing in Ukraine

There we go with the false equivalencies again. When has anything like Bucha ever happened in Palestine? And that happened in the first month of the war.

−1

ThrowAwayAway755 t1_j5va7ct wrote

Thank you for caring about facts. The claims made about the US are highly inflammatory and misleading, but the patently-false comparison to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is the most ignorant part of OP’s entire diatribe, because the situations are entirely different in so many ways. In fact, it demonstrates that OP is unable to distinguish between Russian propaganda and objective reality.

Astavri t1_j5s6ndn wrote

Some of those don't really count, specifically N Korea and Israel.

But Hiroshima sure was an act of terrorism as well as a means to eliminate the enemy's military.

−7

IGargleGarlic t1_j5qsahv wrote

ok vatnik go watch some Russian state tv and cry yourself to sleep over the thousands of dead Russian troops

−14

titan1655 t1_j5s87cm wrote

I'm not Russian or have any sympathy for the Russian regime. I'm just really tired of the hypocrisy of people like you.

Good-Internet-7500 t1_j5pv1bz wrote

You know that Ukraine is still getting paid for gas transit from Russia? You gonna stay with your statement?

ThrowAwayAway755 t1_j5sm1kx wrote

Medicine shouldn’t even be denied to a terrorist regime. There are innocent children in Russia that need certain medications to be alive

TurkeyLuver t1_j5pa14u wrote

Shouldn’t you be mad at western governments for exempting medicine then? Seems like a logical exemption to me.

NeurodiverseTurtle t1_j5pau1v wrote

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. (Regarding selling medicines)

This is only about profit and appeasement.

−2

TurkeyLuver t1_j5pbzk6 wrote

And people dying without medication. You forgot about that.

Ayylmaothoughyaknow t1_j5r4mb8 wrote

Russia could leave? That’s literally what sanctions are: turning the screws on a country so that there’s no war and the government still has to choose between their people/economy/etc and continuing the action that invited the sanctions.

Everyone freaking out over this but have no problem with sanctions that reduce the food in the mouths of the youth i affected countries. It’s the same thing and still the most peaceful path.

−4

TurkeyLuver t1_j5r4ubf wrote

The goal of the sanctions isn’t for everyday Russian people to die. Which sanction is killing people?

NeurodiverseTurtle t1_j5pd5op wrote

Russia is engaged in a war of aggression, the Russian people will pay the price for that as long as they remain in Ukraine. You forgot about that.

−6

fuqqkevindurant t1_j5qvn55 wrote

So you prefer the outcome in which more people die and face lifelong health consequences? Totally not sociopathic at all

Turtlehead88 t1_j5r1eq1 wrote

Don’t bother. America good. Russia bad. Any more thought than that will give them a headache.

Ayylmaothoughyaknow t1_j5r51p2 wrote

They want the Russian leadership to be disposed of or choose their people over their greed. If they will not choose their people and kin over greed and corruption then the Russian populace must topple them. Every Russian going about their day making money for the state and propping up the country directly leads to dead Ukrainians. If they don’t want to face the consequences of profiteering from belligerency then they should hold their leadership accountable.

You don’t get to repeatedly punch someone in the face then call yourself a victim when no one wants to help you up when you fall.

−3

TurkeyLuver t1_j5pfn9y wrote

Did the people in charge of the sanctions forget?

NeurodiverseTurtle t1_j5pgecy wrote

Dude, however you try to deflect and ‘whatabout’ this, it doesn’t change the fact that the Swiss have decided to do business with a terrorist regime.

If it was a charitable donation for no profit, then it would be different. It would still be frowned upon, but it wouldn’t be as reprehensible.

TurkeyLuver t1_j5pgxcb wrote

They’re doing business with the patients. You crying about their government doesn’t change that fact. You crying about profits ignores that to get medicine involves an exchange of money.

Fake outrage.

Or just say that you want the Russian people to go without medicine if that is your opinion.

NeurodiverseTurtle t1_j5pitil wrote

No one is crying here, except you. No one is outraged here, except you.

People just aren’t happy that the Swiss are profiting from trade with Russia. Calm yourself.

TurkeyLuver t1_j5pn93i wrote

Everyone making medicine is profiting off the Russians.

NeurodiverseTurtle t1_j5pql30 wrote

No they aren’t, medicine manufacturers typically don’t choose who the end user is, they just manufacture and sell to distribution companies.

And most other countries aren’t selling the Russians medicine, as evidenced by Russia experiencing medicine shortages.

You’re not great at making convincing arguments. Anyway I’m done here, there’s nothing left to be said.

−1

TurkeyLuver t1_j5pqymr wrote

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

> While prescription drugs are exempt from Western sanctions imposed over the war in Ukraine, their delivery to Russia has been hit by transport, insurance and customs hurdles caused by the war and other restrictive measures, industry figures say.

It’s not people choosing not to sell to them.

Turtlehead88 t1_j5r19nm wrote

Imagine all the insulin manufacturers stopped selling to Russia and a bunch of kids died. Do you think that is a net benefit?

Its_thea_time t1_j5sc5qu wrote

The US has exempt NPP fuel and enrichment services from the Energy sanctions list, and are buying/trading with Rosatom actively. But people draw the line at fucking medicine