Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

The_Dead_See t1_irxnnve wrote

That microwave is so old it's redshifted into a radio wave.

Guardian1030 t1_irxzc31 wrote

Excuse me, Iā€™m new to astrophysics, and Iā€™ve been teaching myself about redshift recently.

Are you implying that age from origin creates redshift in waveforms due to energy losses via time and space travelled?

I.E. a wave that started out at normal ā€œredā€ frequency will lose frequency, or become longer and more toward infrared as it traverses the cosmos, and will lose more and more of its frequency rate as it goes farther and farther?

Iā€™m asking to understand, not implicate that youā€™re wrong.

toasterbread75 t1_iry78rx wrote

That is correct, redshift is an expansion in wavelength (I.e. itā€™s heading toward the red end of the visible spectrum and even into infrared and beyond) and thus decreasing frequency. As what causes redshift, yes age can, due to the universeā€™s natural space-time expansion, this causes radiationā€™s wavelength to expand.

Read Hubbleā€™s Law for more info on this

agent_flounder t1_iryf3km wrote

Hubble observed that the farther away a star was from us, the more redshifted it was. The amount of redshift was linearly related to the distance.

The farther away the object is from us, the faster it is moving away from us.

The interpretation is that the universe (spacetime) is expanding.

snatchenvy t1_irxq0p5 wrote

"TAPPAN"

I haven't heard/seen that name since The Price is Right

CornmealGravy t1_irxnqa3 wrote

We used to have one that big. It could destroy a baloney and cheese sandwich.

contactlite t1_irzo6iq wrote

I read ā€œbalconyā€ and I got confused.

mxpower t1_is0kshx wrote

You're not alone LOL. I was like, the microwave destroyed their balcony?

chargen2 t1_iryq6wz wrote

Hol up

Picklebiscuits t1_iryyruw wrote

"Why the fuck are these dumbass kids putting a baloney and cheese sandwich in me? I'm gonna do them a favor and fuck this thing to pieces. Buncha uncultured swine."

Live_Jazz t1_iry175p wrote

I bet that thing makes a mean Hot Pocket.

Digging the cozy mom vibes of that festive diorama, too.

jimbodeako OP t1_iry284x wrote

Thanks, she's very festive. She knitted little Halloween themed hats for all her gnomes in her garden šŸ˜€

Heres a pic - https://i.imgur.com/29MHmNq.jpg

b1gd4ta t1_irycq6f wrote

Definitely went back for the vibes, thanks fellow persons on the internet for pointing it out and posting it

sigh_choo t1_irz2q54 wrote

Post a picture of that. šŸ‘šŸ½

jimbodeako OP t1_irzd80a wrote

Here's a pic of her gnomes wearing custom made Halloween hats:

https://i.imgur.com/29MHmNq.jpg

go-cartMozart t1_is1ccwp wrote

I wanna be like your mom when i grow up. I bet she'll make an amazing grandmother šŸ‘µ

jimbodeako OP t1_is1pzs0 wrote

She's a great mom and a pretty awesome grandma

jimbodeako OP t1_irxuc1o wrote

Ok, "your Mama's microwave" jokes:

Your Mama's microwave is so old...

...The movie is done before the popcorn is

tomfc t1_irz5czq wrote

Your Mamaā€™s microwave is so old, it probably outlived the store that sold it.

We have a microwave my grandma bought at Montgomery Ward that still works. Itā€™s date label says ā€œ1985.ā€

jimbodeako OP t1_irzb6pf wrote

I think she got it at Kmart, and I don't think there are any more of those around šŸ˜€

darthfruitbasket t1_is1rt8z wrote

My stove and dishwasher (1998 and 2003, respectively) were both bought from Sears Canada. They've outlived Sears and then some.

il_postino t1_iry2uv7 wrote

I love that it's a "Spacesaver" but has enough space on top for a full blown diorama of ornaments

GodlikeCat t1_irym5aa wrote

Why are microwaves so freaking durable? I'd expect such a weird, modern invention would come with mechanical issues or something but nooo... The one at my house is older than me and I'm in my early 30s and it's still working just as good as new

jimbodeako OP t1_irymuwv wrote

I ruined a perfectly good microwave by putting EasyMac in it without water. What a mess, black smoke, and I could never get the smell out of the microwave. Got a decent one now though.

gloatingfern t1_irzdprz wrote

I ruined a microwave by heating a sweet potato for 10 minutes, and following it up with a cup of milk for 3 minutes without cooling. There were electrical sparks, shut off, and wouldn't turn back on, even after letting it cool down.

SnooDrawings3750 t1_is0ukzl wrote

I did that with a bag of popcorn. Every time we opened the door it smelled like cigarette smoke. On the plus side, I learned how to install an overhead microwave oven.

PolarizingFigure t1_irz7c25 wrote

Yeah as long as you donā€™t put any kind of aluminum in there lol. Once the thing sparks, itā€™s never the same.

ponytoaster t1_irzsz8x wrote

This really, most are BIFL unless you get unlucky. Even the electronic ones never really seem to break. We have a cheap one which is about 12yr old and that's still like new, parents have one from when I was young (also cheap) which is fine.

This post is a little meh as it's not like the world is full of disposal microwaves that last little time!

addvalue2222 t1_is17psv wrote

Old microwaves hold up. My 4 year old one just croaked.

NWO_Eliminator t1_is1m12j wrote

Only the older ones are. Lots of new microwaves are dying in less than 2 years.

Kottepalm t1_is1hhbh wrote

My former microwave oven just died, stone cold and didn't start. But then it had been trough multiple moves. My parent's which has been sitting in the same space since they bought it is still going strong about twenty years later.

DukeKaboom1 t1_iu4y3fi wrote

Eventually things like the door sensor switches will wear out.I just replaced mine this week. 10 bucks for the parts from Amazon. Pretty easy install. Good as new.

Too many people just toss appliances and electronics when they fail. I have fixed countless stuff (microwaves, dishwashers, washing machines, gaming consoles, TV's, etc) with nothing more than a multimeter, soldering gun and Google/Youtube.

Professional-Talk720 t1_iryskiz wrote

Well, I know this microwave because I lived in that house also...it takes about two 4 minute runs to heat up a small bowl of soup...when my Mom comes visit me, she's like..."can you heat up my coffee for 10 minutes in the microwave"..."um, no actually I can't, or it will blow up the house!" I really think that my brother, Mom and I should glow in the dark after using this thing for so long. I almost dropped my teeth when our 6yr old microwave died...I'm like..."Excuse me, what, they only last 6 to 7 years!!"

[deleted] t1_is1cwat wrote

[removed]

Professional-Talk720 t1_is2mcpf wrote

Wow. You stalking my brother? I never looked at his account. Maybe I will for blackmail...thanks for the heads up...

[deleted] t1_is2op4m wrote

[removed]

Professional-Talk720 t1_is3qto0 wrote

He is best brother ever...we are completely opposite, never fight, and always have a great time together. I am so lucky. Pretty funny I have no interest in his profile honestly, I really don't look at his facebook page either...I only look at what he tags me in. From what you say, it must be good that I don't. šŸ¤£ Actually, I lied...we both have the driest sense of humor!

PansyChicken t1_iry46oo wrote

The microwave in the house we recently bought is a July 1995 Whirlpool. 875 watts. Original to the house (as is the 1995 Magic Chef/Maytag slide in electric range). My husband occasionally mentions replacing the microwave. I usually respond with wanting to see how long it will last before it dies.

Now Iā€™m going to need to plan a birthday party for its upcoming 30th.

jimbodeako OP t1_iry5x38 wrote

My sister and I have a side bet on who's gonna outlive who, my mom who's 80 or the microwave

Drenlin t1_iryq5db wrote

They're relatively simple machines. Entirely possible it'll live to see 50 or more.

[deleted] t1_irxsu9u wrote

[deleted]

jimbodeako OP t1_irxtwml wrote

Whoa, that sounds pretty old. I had an early VCR that came with a wired remote that just had one button, PAUSE

pilondav t1_irxxyq3 wrote

We had a Litton microwave growing up that had a rheostat power control and a mechanical timer. There was a little bell that rang when it stopped. My parents got tired of looking at the thing and gave it way, still working, after about 35 years.

zippyzoodles t1_iry0uia wrote

Those are still around or were at least in the early 2000s afaik.

Maxx0rz t1_irynu1q wrote

An old microwave like this can't be as energy efficient as a modern one, is it?

mohavewolfpup t1_is02eys wrote

the only real change in microwave technology has been the Inverter. You can really cut the time off meals with them. Something that takes say 7 minutes you can shave 3-4 minutes off it in comparison to the older non inverter microwaves.

To the OP: look for a microwave radiation tester out there and ensure it isn't leaking anything out

Maxx0rz t1_is0998u wrote

So I'd assume that the inverter definitely makes a difference then if you can shave 40% off of cooking time, that means it's operating for 40% less time and using less energy right?

mohavewolfpup t1_is09vo7 wrote

Possibly. Thatā€™s honestly out of my wheelhouse. Looked up one and it uses 12.4 amps.

In theory there is efficiency at cutting the cooking time down, but thatā€™s starting to get into my most hated subject: math.

Just go by the fact it cooks quicker and the hardest part is adjusting the cooking time. A 1200 watt inverter microwave is a hell of a lot more powerful then a ā€œconventionalā€ 1200 watt microwave, so itā€™s better to shave 1-2 minutes off it then adjust accordingly if it isnā€™t cold enough. A pot pie for example has a 7 minute cook time on it, but cooking it for 3:45 in the microwave I use gets it piping hot. 7 would probably be a boiling puck of carbonā€¦

DaHick t1_iryvlws wrote

that part of the technology has not seem a ton of improvement, unfortunately. Although it claims it has.

Maxx0rz t1_iryw0g3 wrote

Oh wow really? So it's about the same now as it was then? That's crazy

DaHick t1_iryxeh5 wrote

Yeah, electrical efficiency has increased, and power has had increased some, but there is a reason all those commercial/bad restaurant grade microwaves look similar

thatvhstapeguy t1_irygwmd wrote

I found this exact model in a high school faculty lounge a few years ago, still heating up leftovers.

c6h12o6CandyGirl t1_iry575a wrote

No popcorn button? WTF???!?!?!?!11?!???! : )

jimbodeako OP t1_iry5rrf wrote

You kids today with your buttons for everything. Back in my day we didn't have no "popcorn button". We had to type in 3 minutes on the keypad like some kinda savage

4RealzReddit t1_irz16yw wrote

Grandma's had a rotary dial that counted down.

WattsAGigawatt t1_irzgxqc wrote

Wow, my grandmaā€™s had a dial, too, I think. Wonder what happened to that microwave after she died.

c6h12o6CandyGirl t1_iry7qq2 wrote

You were lucky to have a keypad! We had Dad for several millennia (what it felt like) in the kitchen with a pressure cooker and SKRITCHASKRITCHASKRITCHA until things began to explode.

The individual popcorns, not my Dad. Although, if he had enough Miller Lite that day, sometimes he'd explode too...

: )

FredL2 t1_is18rza wrote

And no muffin button either. Wouldn't it be nice to wake up, push a button, and have muffins? wink, wink

ChickenButtEtc t1_irytltm wrote

Mine is from 77! The handle fell off but don't worry, we glued it back on

adrift_in_the_bay t1_irz8x4h wrote

We had one a bit older but the casing started to melt down so it finally convinced my parents to replace it - eep!

jimbodeako OP t1_irzay61 wrote

I've been wanting to replace it for years but there's nothing wrong with it other than taking a little longer to heat stuff than your normal microwave

adrift_in_the_bay t1_irzh57p wrote

I don't even know what's 'normal'. I identify with that viral tweet about who tf knows the power of their microwave.

MyUsernameIsNotLongE t1_is0pwuf wrote

Man, this microwave is only three years younger than me and it is still working properly. Unlike me. lol

turgid_wang t1_iryvziu wrote

Finally a real BI4L

Stopped coming here when it became "these boots I just got!"

jimbodeako OP t1_irzbbl9 wrote

True but I don't think Tappan is still in business so nobody else can buy these haha

Fredacus t1_irz6hy1 wrote

I lite a rally just ditched my 1986 microwave last year. Washed the front and some liquid got under the keypad. RIP. (Thing was big enough to fit a whole turkey.)

faultolerantcolony t1_is0bdam wrote

It canā€™t break, itā€™s holding up an entire village.

Ray_Band t1_irxv63y wrote

What's the wattage? I wonder if it's really high or really low.

jimbodeako OP t1_irxvkhl wrote

700 watts, kinda low huh?

Ray_Band t1_irxwsoh wrote

Yeah! I think 1000 is the lowest you'll find these days.

This was back in the days when they were still kinda marketing them as a potential replacement for an actual over, so I wondered if it was going to be some crazy 2000 watt model.

LudovicoSpecs t1_irya3y9 wrote

My mom had one of those. Holee shit did it nuke stuff fast. She bought it back before food had microwave instructions. First test was a chicken kiev that took 45 minutes in the oven. Figured--ah-- 10 minutes in the microwave??

Fucking charcoal briquette.

Put it on the kitchen counter with a sign as a warning to the rest of the family.

darthfruitbasket t1_is1sah6 wrote

My grandparents had one bought in '78 or '79, Granddad wanted the top of the line.

That thing could boil water in ~2 minutes, even when it was 30 years old.

Titanium09 t1_irzeb6a wrote

My microwave delivered in February of 2020 broke for the second time.

Godcranberry t1_irzgliq wrote

I really like her figures on top of the microwave.

those are nice šŸ™‚

jimbodeako OP t1_irzp7da wrote

Yeah she likes to decorate for all the seasons, indoors and outdoors

bag-goyle-la-vick t1_iryoi3z wrote

Probably costs two or $3 per 30 second heat up šŸ˜‚

jimbodeako OP t1_irzbvyg wrote

Maybe that's why her electric bill is so high?!? Haha

Nellasofdoriath t1_iryq92j wrote

We also have a microwave from my husband's parents. Are they too hardcore to make shoddily?

romannum700 t1_iryrjg8 wrote

I did a double-take; my folks have this exact model in their kitchen. The only issue they've had is the light having gone out! It's an impressive make.

Own-Safe-4683 t1_iryur2c wrote

I grew up with the same one. Not sure what happened to it.

jimbodeako OP t1_irzbq0t wrote

It became sentient and is going around gathering others for the future appliance Apocalypse showdown with the humans

drivermom t1_irz8apn wrote

I had a Tappan! I got it in about 87 or 88 also! I loved that thing! It lasted 23 years. I cried when it died! I'm jealous of your parents!

phuhcue t1_irz91km wrote

Tappan is Cooking.

YouFeastOnFeces t1_irzc0c5 wrote

Old fashion ones were better. Having a dial to turn is much quicker than having to punch a bunch of digits on a keypad.

jaybyday t1_irzcgbe wrote

Well, you have an excuse for when mom asks for kids.

NickCharlesYT t1_irzd0hs wrote

I wish I knew how to find a microwave that won't burn out it's LCD within like 5 years. Mine all seem to dim to the point they're unreadable very quickly.

swalabr t1_irzdu81 wrote

I remember selling this model

UntilYouKnowMe t1_irzfzny wrote

Thanks for sharingā€¦ And, I thought mine was old (GE Smartwave) from 1996. Itā€™s also a countertop model.

For the most part, itā€™s still working great. However, Iā€™m already starting to look for its replacement.
The ā€œcatchā€ is that in my next one, I want a similar feature of my current one: Itā€™s a ā€œflatbedā€, meaning that there is no round turntable in it. There is a large glass rectangular tray, but no revolving round turntable.

I canā€™t find one like it. The only thing close are small commercial units (think: company break rooms) or ones with dials (and I prefer the touchpads.

valdm t1_irzlbky wrote

Are they more dangerous than new ones ?

NWO_Eliminator t1_is1lled wrote

My grandmother is still using a microwave from the late 70's she bought new and is 91. Gramps is 90. There's your answer.

valdm t1_is1mm1k wrote

I met an 85yo at a retirement home, once ballet dancer, she told me her secret : smoke a lot to stay thin... Some might have such good genes that they can get away with anything

Susquehanna420 t1_irzloea wrote

That microwave so red it time traveled Lol

ameliageika t1_irzyubb wrote

Why you gotta call me out like that

pjrnoc t1_is07ppk wrote

In LOVE with the top trinket setup! I gotta do that to mine.

Brendan110_0 t1_is27748 wrote

All magnatrons are Chinese crap these days. Cheap and fast to produce outweighed the west good design slower to make.

Need to reverse this trend now we know it'll destroy the planet.

Don_Cazador t1_irxz3oa wrote

Pretty sure my mom had a 34 year old microwave IN 1988

ghostedygrouch t1_is0nwka wrote

I still have my Mum's microwave from 1992!

Dosmastrify1 t1_is0rt4i wrote

Care watch technology connections on YouTube?

I believe he says microwaves peaked in the 80s

brutix0385 t1_is0t0ee wrote

Nah man 1988 was only 16 years ago.

jimbodeako OP t1_is28ix5 wrote

I graduated high school in 1988, uggghhhhh

dmt_alpha t1_is1dauc wrote

I used to have a microwave from the 80s. It finally gave up and caught fire in 2020. The replacement I got is good for nothing, compared to the old one.

kelsobjammin t1_is20tht wrote

Damn wish the guy who yelled at me for suggesting an electronic item for BIFL sees this post. Fuck you dude, told you electronics can last stupid bitch.

jimbodeako OP t1_is222d3 wrote

Yeah fuck that guy!

MOM'S MICROWAVE IS GONNA LIVE FOREVER!!!

Skookum_Smoke t1_is3i3cq wrote

Bwhahahaha...we had that same micro in our platoon room. Imagine testosterone hopped up 18 year old airborne infantry grunts doing God knows what with that thing and it was literally BOMB proof. This pic made me laugh hard and brought back some nostalgia fo sho!!!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤˜

MrKixs t1_is3te5v wrote

Holy shit, we had that same microwave when I was a kid.

benderofx t1_is1bbe6 wrote

I bought a new house in 2019. The "builder grade" microwave they put in is broken now. It is the first and only microwave I've owned that broke from normal use.

Prestigious-Piglet72 t1_is1cmlw wrote

My folks have a similar one and just in the last year the number display started kind of going out lol