Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Diligent_Host2583 t1_iwfubj4 wrote

It is irony, it definitely does not tell it like it is, although everybody gets the message

the_lamper t1_iwg4jen wrote

I am not sure the comic has the right vibe for r/GetMotivated, but I am in it and I don't like it. Thanks for the laugh.

Droidlivesmatter t1_iwgao6v wrote

I mean.. I see this and people are like "wow lazy"

But I will say that was how I got to success. I didn't burn out. I knew when to work and when to relax. Others were like "You're wasting your time! You gotta go grind! Meet people! Network!"

They're nowhere now, burnt out, hate life, and literally spent days constantly working just to "Get somewhere".

I just did my 9-5. Came home, and killed time knowing that my shitty 9-5 will eventually pay off. It did. Others were always trying to hustle, start stuff etc. and they got nowhere.

Head-like-a-carp t1_iwgayxi wrote

I always love the tv jumping with frantic useless energy

voicebread t1_iwgg3qp wrote

When I was in 5th grade I was obsessed with Calvin and Hobbes and had every book.

In one comic, Calvin avoided taking a test by writing, quote, “I cannot answer these questions due to my religious beliefs.” So obviously I went to school the following day and wrote the same on a test because I thought it was funny and wanted to be like Calvin. Teacher met with my Mom to figure out what was going on and was informed my family has literally never been religious, ever. Lmao

r/kidsarefuckingstupid

Another_Road t1_iwgibcl wrote

I don’t get what’s wrong. I’ve done nothing and I’m all out of ideas!

prollyshmokin t1_iwgigg5 wrote

That's awesome and similar to my mentality, as long as you don't look down on people that did the same thing yet didn't have it "pay off".

I mean, I remember seeing a lady on TV during the pandemic (when lots of people were leaving their jobs) talking about how she'd worked at some diner for 10 years getting less than a $2 raise. I can't imagine what that must feel like. It feels easy to blame her for not hustling but I wish her hard work could've paid off for her.

-fumble- t1_iwgigi6 wrote

Sums up r/antiwork nicely.

−8

earhere t1_iwgqfvz wrote

how is this motivational lmao

YYC9393 t1_iwgrott wrote

How does one find meaning and happiness when they work 80% of their lives away to survive, and spend another 15% doing chores?

ChemistryNo2543 t1_iwgv0nm wrote

I find this weirdly motivational. I find myself doing a lot of doing, not a lot of waiting

-O-0-0-O- t1_iwgyw2j wrote

Maybe it's an age/era thing?

I personally find a stitch of negativity and caution more motivating that "everyone can do it together" sometimes, I was born in the early 80s and grew up with Calvin & Hobbes

ValyrianJedi t1_iwh0ca5 wrote

Eh, there is a time and a place for both... I can say with pretty much 100% certainty that I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am now if I hadn't done the grind/network/bust ass thing for a decent while... From like 22-25 I worked 100 hour weeks, then did grad school for a year and a half, then from like 27-31 worked 60-70 hour weeks with a side gig on top and did an obscene amount of networking... Was definitely rough at times, but now at 33 I'm super set. We have our first kids on the way now, and because of all the time and energy I put in earlier now I'm able to let off the gas and spend time with them while still being able to take care of them, get them things they want, send them to great schools, etc.. Wouldn't trade doing things the way I did for anything...

And I know a decent many people who are in the same boat, so I just don't think that "don't hustle" is universally solid advice.

AntoneAlpha t1_iwh3rzb wrote

In Eastern philosophy, they stress the importance of finding play in work, or really anything.

Typing numbers at work? Find a way make it fun. Stuck in zoom? Get the fuck out of it.

ReactorMechanic t1_iwh8fp1 wrote

God I hope that Bill Watterson never goes Scott Adams on me. In school my whole LIFE was Calvin & Hobbes and Dilbert (with a touch of Foxtrot every now and then).

If by some slim chance he's already done so, please don't tell me.

SmarmyCatDiddler t1_iwhc2cg wrote

The fact its even seen as a necessity or some moral good is what's the problem here

If you worked more than double what is seen as the max amount for someone's well being for 7 years in order to feel "set", then that's awful

Sure on the other side you may feel safe to romanticize it and try and nudge others to do the same, but you're simply lucky

What we should be doing instead is trying to get more labor rights and social benefits moreso than pushing people to go past their limits so they can maybe be comfortable later in life

ValyrianJedi t1_iwhd050 wrote

I'm not saying it's necessary or a moral good. I'm saying that it was worth it to me... And I'm not saying that I had to do that to get by, or be in decent financial shape. I'm saying that I had to to be in well above average financial shape.

Droidlivesmatter t1_iwher0r wrote

Job growth. Professional development.

So many people I know would hustle on the side and their 9-5 was exhausting for them they didn't perform well. Excessive working hours doesn't relate to quality. It's just quantity.

Hey I did my 9-5 and I was too tired to tackle new projects because my side gig drains me.

In my first 9-5 I jumped from data entry to management decision roles within 2 years. While everyone else was too tired to tackle new projects and workloads.

Its not time put in. It's quality put out. And I'm sorry but I've noticed anyone who works stupid hours isn't producing much quality after they're too tired.

hay_ewe t1_iwhiskd wrote

OMG I did something stupid inspired by Calvin in school too! He was writing a note to Suzie that said something like "drop dead," so when some boys in my 4th grade class were teasing me about having a broken leg, I wrote notes to them saying drop dead and left them on their desks before recess. On a select few, I wrote URAQT ( word play: you are a cutie) because I also had crushes on some of them. Anyway, I got caught and that was really embarrassing to have to explain in front of them all and the Principal. When my girl friend found out that afternoon, she called me a pervert on her way off of the bus. It was terrible and stupid!

sydneydanger t1_iwhjcan wrote

It originated as a phrase that was used when flagging facebook photos, when you select a reason one of the options is “I’m in this photo and I don’t like it”. It turned into a meme for when people see something that represents them and they’re not proud of it — in this case they’re Calvin on the loveseat but they’d rather not be.

sydneydanger t1_iwhjr79 wrote

My favorite, and one that’s always stuck with me, is when they’re handing back graded tests and Susie is like “I got an A!” And Calvin is like “I got a D!” And Susie asks him why he’s happy about it, Calvin says something to the effect of “I’ve found life is easier when I keep others expectations of me low”.

AMasonJar t1_iwhmmhf wrote

A 9-5 that actually develops into something is kind of the key there. A lot of people have pretty dead end 9-5s. And some of them can fix that. In tech especially, that upwards mobility is actually fantastic and often understated. Spend a couple years building experience at a job, then jump upwards to the next (you're rarely going to see a promotion that's equivalent if you stay internal).

But not everyone works in tech. And some dreams just don't lend themselves to a very good 9-5, some are things that have to be done on the side first before they can even take off into something sustainable full time.

Finding a job you don't hate, that keeps you alive, becomes the important thing then. That isn't so easy in the modern day though, when unskilled jobs haven't kept up in pay at all, yet too many people treat them like they haven't changed since even just a few decades ago when they actually could support you.

It's a rough age for dreamers. I'm doing well enough. But many aren't.

gloatingfern t1_iwhmssh wrote

In my head canon, it's not symbolic, exaggerated, or non-diegetic. In Calvin's universe, TV's have to jump around and be extra attention seeking to fully captivate the attention of the viewer, because their attention span is way short.

Germanofthebored t1_iwhner5 wrote

Bill Waterson figured he had said all he had to say, and he has packed away his beautiful water colors and inks. He just stopped, and it seems that he couldn't care less about merchandizing and all that.

Mr Waterson, if you are out there, thanks for all the happy times you gave me, and for the joy my daughter now gets out of your work

Wright129129 t1_iwhnm1w wrote

Calvin and Hobbes was ahead of it’s time

Soren_Camus1905 t1_iwhqmko wrote

I get that sense of meaning and happiness from NFL Redzone every Sunday.

ScholarlyExiscrim t1_iwhruiq wrote

Calvin's ideal role model has always been Hobbes. You know, the usual: wild, daring, and a badass tiger.

SiteTall t1_iwhs1vl wrote

Of course, that's how it's working

2204BatiknWine t1_iwhv5kw wrote

I have loved Calvin n Hobbes since tgeir inception!!

Beginning_Pudding_69 t1_iwhx6wx wrote

Early 90s and these books were cherished growing up. I actually got the collectible set for Xmas years ago but haven’t read them. Might just read them tonight! I bet they’ll hit home even more as an adult.

Solid_Neighborhood45 t1_iwhy4ua wrote

I love me some 80s cynicism. This comic is also meaningful in juxtaposition with Watterson's life; he wrote C&H with uncommon zeal, on an extremely rigid schedule. He worked hard to create meaning for his life

Pudding_Hero t1_iwi876l wrote

That’s a little too real for a Sunday comic strip

GalaxySnipz13 t1_iwi8ebx wrote

so i’m not depressed, but i’m just not as happy as i used to be right now. it sucks, however i just got some great advice. everyone goes through phases in life, some will be more active than others. it will get better, life will pick itself up, everybody has a plan! trust the process!

SmarmyCatDiddler t1_iwif3mo wrote

That it worked out in such a way that you're set in your 30s

It doesn't happen to everyone, and some people get burnt out a lot easier and get get to where they want in that time frame if at all

The fact you're practically slaving for almost a decade isn't super healthy for human bodies or brains

It can cause lifelong stress

If you escaped that? Thats lucky

SmarmyCatDiddler t1_iwiozdz wrote

Oh sure, I'm not saying you're saying that

I just meant as a culture its usually seen as the right move without looking at the problem at a deeper level

The fact you need to do it at all is not great

keraniu t1_iwj06w7 wrote

I'm not waiting for that, I'll create my own happiness for myself and those around me, so to whoever's reading this, i hope happiness and motivation will hit you so so so soon!!! fighting !! (⁠/⁠^⁠-⁠^⁠(⁠^⁠ ⁠^⁠*⁠)⁠/

YYC9393 t1_iwj488z wrote

It’s a nice comic that completely ignores the fact that money is a requirement to survive. It would be great to quit and pursue one’s passions and raise a family, but it’s not an option.

Haunter_Gurl t1_iwj8z0v wrote

I hated this comic strip bc Calvin was such a doe-head bratty cynic. But he wasn't wrong! 👍

GiantRetortoise t1_iwjl61a wrote

This is a joke from a comic, not life advice. OP 100% watches TV, relaxes, and takes breaks.

Feel like watching a movie on your TV? You must be an unhappy loser then bc I saw it in a comic strip. Jfc what demotivating irresponsible advice.

action_lawyer_comics t1_iwjv65d wrote

I wish I had a better answer for you. There’s no magic words or techniques that will somehow add an extra five hours to the day. If you’re stuck in a situation like you say, you can either do nothing and survive the best you can, or take that 5% you have left and make something with it. You don’t have as many choices as someone born rich does, but you still have choices. Look at the people working for peanuts at Starbucks but who are fighting to unionize. That’s a huge risk taken by people who need every Penny, but they’re still doing it. If they can fight for a better life, so can you.

Head-like-a-carp t1_iwkyffk wrote

The thing about Calvin and Hobbes is the nature of Hobbes existence. Doe he exist only in Calvin's imagination? It would seem that way. Yet, there are other cartoons in the series to suggest that Hobbes is real and only Calvin can see him that way. This would explain the footprints in the snow? Watterson, the creator, has refused to say adding to the fun.