Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Paradox68 t1_j86aoo1 wrote

That’s not how my stock chart looks at all.

admiralkappa1234 t1_j8742e2 wrote

Its mine whenever I enter the market :( always late to the party.

DamnBatmanYouCrazy t1_j87i2aa wrote

Yeah thought this was wsb and the left chart was gonna be 'my time holding the stock' and right was 'the stock'

djlawrence3557 t1_j88okrk wrote

Inverse this guy’s happiness chart, and that’s about right for life and investing

StelioZz t1_j89odxs wrote

Or maybe a bit early but that doesn't mean matter at the end. Seeing the discount after you enter sucks but what sucks more is if you stop or even worse if go back.

Persistence and patience(time) in the market beats timing the market

PoignantOpinionsOnly t1_j87qi5g wrote

I think I first saw this on /r/WallStreetBets and it was pretty much the opposite.

A small little upturn as part of a ridiculously long downturn.

spandex_in_Virginia t1_j873ol3 wrote

Me either, but law of large numbers says it eventually will. Just always try to learn from your mistakes

futuregeneration t1_j87kvpd wrote

If you want to see progress, maybe not betting on the failure and success of others is a start.

Qewbicle t1_j89c4oi wrote

Zoom out. That's the whole point of this post, you have to zoom out more. I can't think of any market that doesn't have this pattern. Because after inflation, it costs more dollars for gas, food, home, and any stock. If any market is a flatline when things go up in price, then it went down equally, kind of like most people's work compensation rate. It either does not immediately go up, or it goes up at a lower percentage.

Even shitcoins move up, just at a lower ratio, which is the modern trending to zero.

Paradox68 t1_j89ctp6 wrote

Yes, in case you weren’t aware; some stocks do stay flat over time (losing money, as you said), and others actually go down over time (also losing money). So you can’t just “zoom out” in every scenario….

LalinOwl t1_j86p4bs wrote

Buy the dip - FOMO'ers, right before the market dip further into the crash

sumochump t1_j874amm wrote

OP underestimates r/wallstreetbets ability to drop off a cliff

HinduHamma t1_j89vt5f wrote

Seriously. This is the peak lol. It’ll never be any better. We are going back to square one (or worse if you are leveraged lol). There’s no new all time high coming for my personal portfolio. Only new lows lol

That’s how I see this chart

[deleted] t1_j865qyn wrote

[deleted]

throw3142 t1_j86th64 wrote

I had a phase of very low self confidence last year. What really helped me is to go and seek out social interaction. Sometimes when it's just you listening to your own thoughts, you can enter a spiral of negativity.

In my case, I knew that rationally, I have no reason to feel sad - I'm in a good place, I've got a job that I enjoy, a comfortable lifestyle, etc. But my problem wasn't rational in the first place, it was emotional, so reasoning it out didn't help me at all. If anything, it made me feel even worse. Outside perspectives were the most helpful in getting me out of that mindset.

I saw the lengths to which my friends would go to maintain their relationship with me, even if I would occasionally snap at them or be unreasonable. Eventually, this convinced me that I did actually matter, at least to them - I had given them plenty of reasons to leave me behind but they chose to stick with me regardless. This ended up significantly improving my mood, and I now have healthier relationships with my friends, stemming from a healthier view of myself.

Sepidy t1_j88yb8z wrote

Thanks for sharing. You have built the good friendships and that's great to have friends and support like that!

thaddeus423 t1_j873wq3 wrote

What you feel isn’t reality

Is a powerful statement

WalrusLobster3522 t1_j87l222 wrote

Like High School for many suburbs people kinda suck. When becoming 18 you have the freedom to visit University or head to Air Force, and its scary and new but at least it isn't another dull year of strict security guards and frustrating house principals ("APs").

Entroduction t1_j87fdhj wrote

When in doubt, zoom out.

bradforrester t1_j86ohzl wrote

Kinda seems like this should have been shown as a temporary downturn on the way up. The current graphic makes it seem like you’ve peaked and it’s downhill from here.

coolasj19 t1_j87b9u5 wrote

That’s a helluva inflection point. It’s gonna take some work to get out of this dive

waltpsu t1_j88n8fd wrote

Yeah, but we don’t know what the future looks like, and this is talking about a bad day today.

To the artist’s credit, that chart does show very similar downturns in the past that have all proven to be temporary.

Psycho-Therapist123 t1_j86vdvy wrote

Super hard when your husband has his 4th layoff in 5 years. I have a two and four year old, one of which has Autism. No savings and in threat of being homeless. My mental health has been eviscerated in the last 48 hours.

I appreciate the sentiment, but it’s hard to remember in times like these.

keyskeysonvannuys t1_j87d35t wrote

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you live in the US, the greatest superpower in the history of the world, where one semi major negative life event can destroy your mind, body, family, and leave you homeless. One of my family members got into an accident last year and 100% not at fault and we had good car/health insurance and we BARELY ended up not being homeless. Fuck this country and everything that it stands for.

Psycho-Therapist123 t1_j87dlhe wrote

100%. It’s obscene how many are against social safety nets for situations like these. I make decent money too. Inflation and a poor economy are exhausting, and overwhelming.

Thank you for the commiseration.

keyskeysonvannuys t1_j87e7jh wrote

Gah. Sending nothing but love and positive thoughts your way.

I’ve literally spent days on the phone BEGGING hospitals to take us in for treatment.

proximitah t1_j87rke9 wrote

It’s so easy to minimize on certain experiences and feelings. Being too self critical can really set you back from the progress you made.

Don’t compare yourself to others, and remember where you started. Ask yourself what goals you had when you started, and remember all the efforts and progress that got you where you are today- you absolute unit.

Artistic_Ad_7059 t1_j87f9zf wrote

How do you guys keep on going when you make a wrong decision and you regret it all the time? Would love some advice

anxious_lifeform t1_j88kh1u wrote

I know it's easier said than done but you gotta work on making peace with it. You can't change what happened in the past, you can only influence to do better in the future. Stay strong

NonPrime t1_j8a42dk wrote

Real talk. There's no shame in seeking professional psychotherapy. Self-help sounds nice, but sometimes we can't improve on our own. Just like going to a doctor to heal your body, sometimes you need to go to a therapist to heal your mind. You aren't alone, and you don't need to get through it alone.

Gabbstarr t1_j87lwci wrote

and don’t let a good day distract you from all the failure you’ve made

2manyfelines t1_j8726u4 wrote

Thanks. I needed that tonight.

Omega_Haxors t1_j87bhct wrote

Flip the chart and its becomes a motivational poster for crypto.

ChubbyKay t1_j87jcvr wrote

Had a challenging week, been feeling lower than usual, and needed to see this. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.

HelSylph t1_j87k1mk wrote

Seriously needed this tonight.

ZoharTheWise t1_j87v05q wrote

When I zoom out, it’s still more downs then up. Waiting for the good times to come, but I’m worried they already passed and I missed them.

wsdpii t1_j87vd2k wrote

I've often had to tell myself the inverse. My chart is a constant downward progression. I have to remind myself that one good day won't undo all the problems I'm dealing with. I can't afford to let my guard down just because things went well for one day.

mr_taco_man t1_j899ldy wrote

You might want to consider that this attitude might account for your constant downward progress. Always being on high alert and downplaying any good is a recipe for burnout and depression. Rejoicing in the good days can give you little rays of hope that there can be more future good days and motivate you to keep working through your problems.

Sofialovee t1_j872hgk wrote

I really like this quote

FuriousAnalFisting t1_j874du8 wrote

I need to put this in my locker at work so I can see it at the start and end of every shift.

Grevious47 t1_j876i35 wrote

Yeah...thats what bad years are for.

WastaHod t1_j87vwcs wrote

The left is what stock holders see. The right is how the company has been for the past 15 years.

anxious_lifeform t1_j88k5dd wrote

Past 2 weeks depression has hit me hard. I hope I can get out of this quickly

[deleted] t1_j86mucu wrote

Until that bad day ends up being a bad year

salin13 t1_j874tgz wrote

I really needed to see this today.

emich95 t1_j879bdi wrote

Needed this, thank you

pfof t1_j87cyzd wrote

What progress

flying__cloud t1_j87mo9a wrote

This should be posted to wallstreetbets

chewlarue12 t1_j87ps9q wrote

Not if I made absolutely 0 progress

TTownmike t1_j87qea4 wrote

When in doubt, zoom out.

ExplodingAK t1_j87r8ik wrote

PEAK OF 2008 FINANCIAL CRISIS

Kisuke42 t1_j87t1q6 wrote

Ah yes, the beginning of the end.

Arxid87 t1_j87ta8f wrote

If you flip it upsidedown, it becomes depressing

xl129 t1_j87ur5d wrote

I watch stock chart so much that this whole things yell “peak!” to me, only downhill from now on. Buy put!

PS: not financial advice

Hive747 t1_j87xskr wrote

If in doubt, zoom out.

im3000 t1_j87z0if wrote

Off topic: does anyone maybe know the font used for text?

enilea t1_j880v8i wrote

This only works for people with a good life overall

DarkBrother24 t1_j8835h6 wrote

I see other people happy and know I can't have that. There is no catharsis, I will burn from the inside

laZardo t1_j883icq wrote

ah yes the first minute of the trading day on October 19, 1987

Aromatic_Army_4627 t1_j886d22 wrote

si porcodio progresso di sto cazzo madonna troia la puttana

Rguben t1_j8871rd wrote

On the other hand, don't let a good day distract you from how disappointing life is:)

CRConundrum t1_j88a5nd wrote

50% stock price gains are fun until you realize you need 15 of them to get back to the 2020 peak

GarglenutsBumblebutt t1_j88av5s wrote

Don’t let a good day… distract you from the hot mess of a downward spiral your life has become.

VanVeen t1_j88bc6k wrote

This reminds me of CO2 PPM, ocean ice (except uuuh backwards), and global temperature charts. Sure, we see drops all the time, but never forget the ever-upward progress we've made towards annihilation, always moving forward 👍

The-Devils-Advocator t1_j88dcj8 wrote

Ok but this is only applicable to people that have progressed, so is the reverse of this true then?

'Don't let one good day in a year distract you from all the problems you have'

Ashraf_mahdy t1_j88eofo wrote

More like don't let a good day let you forget all the bad days about to come amirite?

Doktor_Vem t1_j88ewsz wrote

What if I haven't made any progress?

sncienbas t1_j88fn9m wrote

What am I, 12 days old?

MarbqewTheBarbeque t1_j88ggoy wrote

i have one where it says "don't let a good day distract you from all the failures you made"

kendiyas t1_j88hrdt wrote

This is me everytime I open short on binance

TigreDemon t1_j88hwfw wrote

Yeah well, I don't have an objective so for me, the progresses I make are literal flat cause I'm just doing what's in front of me without much thoughts

tunisia3507 t1_j88qcb1 wrote

Don't let a good day distract you from the fact that your life is circling the drain.

jaden_balerion t1_j88wi59 wrote

Really needed to see this today thank you OP

Sepidy t1_j88xgvk wrote

The left one is exactly my yesterday, I hope the right one be true!

1i3to t1_j88yv6t wrote

No one's right graph would look like this with this attitude.

N3oxity t1_j8940a2 wrote

Made no progress up to this point. ☹️🔫

JudgeCastle t1_j899u4m wrote

I try to recognize that if I have a bad hour/few hours etc, that it’s only a part of the 24 we have and I do my best not to let it affect the remaining hours. Not always successful but that is the outset for me.

AyeAmReddit t1_j89e8ho wrote

I mean… that's still a pretty sharp dive, looks like the sharpest yet.

QualiaEater t1_j89m4yu wrote

And don't let a good day distract you from the downward spiral of your life

McHaleGhost t1_j89nald wrote

I've been in bed all day because whenever I get up my back kills me

sin-and-love t1_j89t5po wrote

Fun fact: this is also a deceptive tactic commonly used by folks like climate deniers and creationists.

monkeman78 t1_j89y0f3 wrote

gif

Me looking at this picture after getting dumped:

Nicely_Colored_Cards t1_j8a8h44 wrote

Lol my investing graphs are the exact opposite: “Don’t let a good day, distract you from all the losses you’ve made”

Bigassmiserable t1_j8a92ja wrote

Bad day? Don’t let a bad year distract you

NebrasketballN t1_j8eu4v1 wrote

Don't let your endo say increasing your A1C isn't progress. /s

Wackydude27 t1_j87gvx6 wrote

This literally is dumb people's argument against climate change.

Al-Horesmi t1_j87m9wd wrote

I feel like this graph is about global warming and that makes me depressed.

[deleted] t1_j862b6d wrote

[removed]

−8

Orsus7 t1_j86ntpw wrote

Now class what did we learn today? To do the opposite of whatever MassiveLebowski comments? That's correct.