Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AncientEngineer t1_jcmksx1 wrote

I recommend body scan meditation. 10 minutes and I am so relaxed I fall asleep. There are plenty of guided meditations on YouTuber, Spotify etc.

SFLADC2 t1_jcnuj72 wrote

On the other end of the spectrum, I take a melatonin, a benadryl, night screen mode on devices, and ear plugs yet it still takes me 45 minutes to fall asleep on a good day.

Dr_Bunsen_Burns t1_jco7vki wrote

Most melatonin supplements have a higher dosis than your body can breakdown in 24 hours(or even longer). Most people destroy their sleeping rhythms with it.

And most insomnia comes due to lack of believe in the body's ability to sleep.

This expert tells one of the ways they help people with insomnia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVIg_-rJecY

SFLADC2 t1_jcq8wuj wrote

The annoying thing is before I started using it my sleep was soooo much worse. It sucks I'm tired during the day, but this is better than running on less than 8 hours of sleep.

Dr_Bunsen_Burns t1_jcsne7k wrote

8 hours is a false dogma.

Also, that you sleep good now is probably the placebo effect.

SFLADC2 t1_jcsntzd wrote

I've heard the placebo argument but I find it a bit questionable. On occasion my brother who has downs has trouble sleeping and we give him it and it works really well. He has no idea what he's taking or why, so in that case it seems effective.

Dr_Bunsen_Burns t1_jcsshrb wrote

So now you are comparing yourself to someone that has a complete different body and strange genetics?

Also, are you sure he doesn't know and or want to see results?

Because the only recent study is a meta study that asks for a good trial since it may help, nothing concrete.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28648359/

As I said, 99.99 % 9f the supplements give more melatonin than the liver can remove in 24 hours, thus destroying your melatonin cycle and even making sleeping worse.

From all the people I know that used it(myself included) with or without works the same.

SFLADC2 t1_jcu34rx wrote

My brother has a mental disability, not "strange genetics". He also is nonverbal, so it would be pretty impressive if he figured out what we gave him.

Dr_Bunsen_Burns t1_jcuf7to wrote

So downs is not 3 chromosomes on the 23th pair? Do you even know what it is?

SFLADC2 t1_jcuga1j wrote

I know what it is, but it's not like he's some kind of xman mutant. There's no evidence of it changing sleep patterns.

Dr_Bunsen_Burns t1_jcuw5u5 wrote

But he has strange genetics, just like I said. Nit sure why you take reality as an offense?

Also, is there research done on the sleep patterns? If not, your claim is bogus.

m945050 t1_jcslfug wrote

Melatonin did more of a number on my dreams than it helped me go to sleep quicker. I tried it for two weeks before stopping.