Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

S2Charlie t1_iscp3p8 wrote

I read that as "I was on a date with a blind woman" 🤦

MarcusofMenace t1_ise6ijw wrote

I was dating this girl who had gone blind recently until she left me. She said she couldn't see me any more

abyssion66 t1_iseji66 wrote

Look on the bright side: she can't.

Usman5432 t1_isevkt0 wrote

Pick up a voice acting class and you can keep trying to make it work

Blutarg t1_iscra8p wrote

I wish I could meet a blind woman.

ReitHodlr t1_isdp43g wrote

I'm sure there's a dating site for blind dates. Just try one out 🤣

Narlavor t1_ise8hzm wrote

Don't know if there's a joke hidden in there. But I texted and met with one, a while back. Pretty amazing how she handled life, was impressed.

Also, people stare a LOT.

Kaiju62 t1_isbo6wt wrote

This literally got posted as a bad web comic on terrible Facebook meme earlier this week

EatCrud t1_iscuusr wrote

I can't wait to repost it and bask in all those karma points.

Wendals87 t1_isarbwp wrote

I thought you said you were from Iran!

(from the the IT crowd of you didn't get the reference. She said she used to be a man)

NigelDime_ t1_isaqtb8 wrote

I read "I was on a date with a blind woman..." and got confused.

flyingpadre t1_isdjbd3 wrote

If it wasn't for lazy trans jokes some people would have no jokes at all.

soundguynick t1_isaqacg wrote

Good for them for being who they are.

RedScope53 t1_isd82uy wrote

Welcome to Repost of the Week, I'm your host, redscope53.

EnigmaFrug2308 t1_isbjw16 wrote

Good for her, glad she can be herself and live happily!

Zumokumibonsu t1_isdhqn1 wrote

Douglas: Oh, poppet... to think when we met, you were so worried that you came from Iran.

April: ...what?

Douglas: When we met, as if I'd be worried about something like that! I don't care where you're from; Iran, France, doesn't bother me. I'm very modern

April: I'm not from Iran!

Douglas: Well, you said something along those lines.

April: No, not Iran, a man! I said I used to be a man!

Douglas: You used to be a man...?

BeanBarrier t1_ise32a3 wrote

The daily jab at trans people

bigswig4cei t1_isckrvq wrote

Like that horror film Christine. You saying it used to be a van.

CeleryQtip t1_isdqgzi wrote

Then there is me, who calls her Enitsirhc.

WaisTom t1_ise4e3s wrote

Did not see that coming.

MikeMcLoughlin t1_isepn8c wrote

I asked a deaf woman out once, she said "half past 2"

Giveorangeme t1_isct5mn wrote

I don't get it can someone explain

Vt420KeyboardError4 t1_iscx8tw wrote

Christianity is a religion. People who follow Christianity are called Christians. Christian is also a fairly common male name in English speaking countries. At first, when the girl in this scenario told the guy she used to be Christian, he assumed she was talking about the former definition. He is then informed that she was in fact talking about the latter definition, and changed her name to Christine, which is a common female name. This is a bait and switch. The reader initially assumed that this was going to be a joke about religion, but it turned out it was a trans joke.

Giveorangeme t1_isdyhqq wrote

But is the joke just that she's trans

rylettroad t1_isecdy3 wrote

The joke is that the character thought the trans character was talking about being religious, whereas they were trying to tell them they were trans. The joke is the confusion due to the word Christian being used as both a personal name and the name of a religion.

gorgeous_lion t1_iseh0vw wrote

Somehow I directly read "Christian" as the male Name and was then confused as to where the Joke is, it took a wile to read it as "religious"

XxannoyingassxX t1_isbnzgd wrote

I don't get it?

−1

Aysher t1_isbxkls wrote

Christian is both a name and a religion. It’s set up to be a religious conversation, but it is the date saying that they are trans (used to be Christian, is now Christine).

jeep_42 t1_isb991h wrote

good for her! But also that’s a really roundabout way of saying that she’s trans

−3

Waitsfornoone t1_isc0gja wrote

I hate r/whoosh things, but ....

jeep_42 t1_isc0kb9 wrote

elaborate?????

−6

Vt420KeyboardError4 t1_iscnxps wrote

The joke would be a lot less funny if it went like this:

I was on a blind date with a woman, and during our dinner conversation....

....she said, "You know, I'm trans."

Able_Example_160 t1_iseepg2 wrote

yknow this subreddit is r/jokes right? that was kind of implied in the joke…

jeep_42 t1_isexwex wrote

no I’m aware

Able_Example_160 t1_isf8nnf wrote

seems like you aren’t? the joke went over your head as you just stated the punchline of the joke like it was some insane thing

magnevicently t1_isd9dp6 wrote

Hahaha transphobia!

−5

FlamingHotdog77 t1_isdmb9l wrote

How's this transphobic?

GreenReflection6576 t1_isdvwzw wrote

The entire joke is the woman is trans.

That's it, just making fun of a hypothetical transwoman for being trans.

−4

rylettroad t1_isec4fx wrote

But it’s just poking fun at the wordplay around the word Christian isn’t it? It might be related to being trans, but it’s not offensive because it’s not being negative towards trans folk.

If the joke had ended with OP’s character leaving as a result of the reveal, then I could see the offence. But OP’s character could just as well be like ‘haha that was a good one! So how are you?’.

misterphuzz t1_isimdgd wrote

And even if the joke had ended with the character leaving as a result of the reveal, that should not be considered an offense because everybody is allowed to have their own personal preferences, right? Or is that not correct these days?

rylettroad t1_isjbtc8 wrote

Well I think it would’ve been offensive since it’s being posted to r/joke, and the punchline being that the person revealed they were trans and the person left isn’t much of a joke.

But you’re right in that in real life, people have their own preferences when it comes to attraction, and that’s ok. 🙂 I would, however, say that if OP’s character was already attracted to Christian/Christine, and only became un-attracted once they found out they were trans, I think OP could ask themselves why that is if they wanted to get to know themselves better.

steelgeek2 t1_isb1v70 wrote

"No, you see I'm not anti-trans because it's just a joke! It's no big deal"

−25

adamzam t1_isba4sn wrote

I'm trans and this joke is in good taste.

Skrrrtdotcom t1_iscx3gn wrote

I'm trans and the joke isn't funny. It's almost as if we're two different people

adamzam t1_isexeao wrote

Even if it's not funny, it's clear that it's not meant to be hurtful.

steelgeek2 t1_isbs4b8 wrote

Fair enough I suppose. I used to know a guy that was racist, homophobic, etc. He would always start with these little jokes and end up full blown, while saying what I posted.
Just reminded me of that asshole I guess.

−21

Flimsy-Fee-9439 t1_ise5s0x wrote

I see nothing transphobic here, also, it’s not the person’s fault if they are straight or bi or pan. If im looking for a hookup, i’d like to know if the organ is what im looking for. If im looking for a serious relationship, it doesnt matter much. Everyone has a different preference and thats ok.

ktsktsstlstkkrsldt t1_iseehs9 wrote

Okay, how exactly is this anti-trans? The joke is simply that the man already went and said "I'm okay with that" before realizing she was talking about transsexuality and not religion. Most of the humor just comes from the clever word-play on "Christian".

What anti-trans message does this joke really carry? Does it imply that the man isn't fine with her being trans? Maybe. Does that make the joke anti-trans? Not really. That's mostly just the reader's own assumption. The joke doesn't explicitly mock trans people in any way.

This is a joke featuring a transsexual person, that draws most of its humor from the fact they're trans in a non-mocking way. That's quite different from, for example, most jokes about jews or black people. It's situational comedy, not offensive humor.

Fantastic_Deer_3772 t1_isblcae wrote

Sorry is your joke that trans women go on dates...?

−27

Mundane_Son4631 t1_ise984c wrote

No? The joke is that the name Christian is also a religion, so they subvert expectations by using it for a dead name.