Submitted by bikeskata t3_10rqe34 in MachineLearning

Official blog post: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2023/02/01/microsoft-teams-premium-cut-costs-and-add-ai-powered-productivity/

Given the amount of money they pumped into OpenAI, it's not surprising that you'd see it integrated into their products. I do wonder how this will work in highly regulated fields (finance, law, medicine, education).

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Imonfire1 t1_j6xdmox wrote

I hope they use ChatGPT and Copilot to finally make a working version of Teams on Linux.

venustrapsflies t1_j6xfoly wrote

I swear it's gotten actively worse in the last year

bumbo-pa t1_j6xlx5p wrote

I use it in the browser now. No way i install that pile of garbage again.

AnotherEuroWanker t1_j6z9dlm wrote

Wait till you try running it in Firefox. It's clearly crippled on that browser.

halohunter t1_j6zj8gj wrote

Microsoft does not give a toss about Firefox. Power Bi and Power Apps also have bugs only in Firefox

hcdave t1_j70oee6 wrote

Strange how programs might not work correctly in a browser that takes privacy seriously... I wonder what might cause that? /s

Geneocrat t1_j6yvl0d wrote

It’s no longer supported. The installer is just an old copy

bumbo-pa t1_j6yw62b wrote

You mean the app? I did get a meaningful update in the flatpak not so long ago before I switched to browser

Edit: oh yeah seems you're right, and just around the time I quit

Geneocrat t1_j6zpkyn wrote

Also just around the time I bought a System76 to WFH. I was bitterly disappointed

deong t1_j70b6kx wrote

Since they went to the progressive web app last fall, it’s been nearly flawless for me.

bjorneylol t1_j6zff0g wrote

They announced back in like september it was no longer supported, so that tracks.

GoOsTT t1_j6xodcp wrote

Working version of Teams, period :D

lawless_c t1_j6yvccp wrote

I downloaded teams to do job interviews.

Had to disable "run on startup" because I'd constantly be treated "teams has crashed" everytime I started my pc.

GoOsTT t1_j6yw29l wrote

I’m one of the lucky ones and it has not really acted up for me just yet but one of my teammates is going through nightmares with it and it hurts me to see him suffer.

On the other hand it is a really nice piece of software which makes its flaws even harder to fathom honestly.

−3

ISitAndWatch t1_j6xsbeh wrote

What do you mean ? It works ! It just sometimes completely forget some messages, sometimes fail to load an entire chat so I have to restart the app, sometimes crash without reason, sometimes audio refuses to work in video calls... But it launches ! I call that working by Microsoft standards.

EnsignElessar t1_j6xyzkr wrote

Really basic stuff like copy/paste does not work. But they want to add in more features?!

[deleted] t1_j739rea wrote

They just need to call it "money hype train, we will fix it as we go." If a company ran that honest PR campaign I'd be a customer.

CommunismDoesntWork t1_j6xl8r8 wrote

Teams for linux now works as a Progressive Web App, which means it now has the same features as the windows app

bjorneylol t1_j6zfs3j wrote

Except for the fact that it has next to zero usability if you use Firefox as a default browser, and there are no functional OS integrations

Ultimarr t1_j6xp0r7 wrote

Lol I can just see the faces of the devs when the PM asked them last week “can we add gpt to teams to fix the crashing bugs and performance issues?”

badabummbadabing t1_j6ypbxs wrote

You mean you want to see more than the same random four people at once? I don't think there is a use case for that.

glauberlima t1_j717t0c wrote

They should ask ChatGPT to make a better Teams app.

anarcap t1_j71oi6e wrote

Windows 11 is technically a decent Ubuntu distro.

paypaytr t1_j6zo88c wrote

i work at teams and i can tell you usage in Linux is getting so low it makes no sense business wise to invest anything on it tbh

−3

dack42 t1_j702e2p wrote

It's almost like people are avoiding using it because of the huge amount of bugs and missing features...

paypaytr t1_j70u09d wrote

its douvle edged sword. But its not worth putting any effort when Linux doesn't bring any money to table

−2

frequenttimetraveler t1_j6x5bdf wrote

Oh well, now every employee can talk like a manager

ThunderySleep t1_j6yhxqd wrote

Got to be honest, the biggest thing I'm not looking forward to is every vapid person with a bogus job being able to write as though they're an intelligent important person. Like how Grammarly allowed dumb people to hide the fact that they can barely read and write.

frequenttimetraveler t1_j6ykioh wrote

I'm looking forward to finding out that peopel who write nice letters and look good on cam are just as dumb as the minions they manage.

visarga t1_j6z9nie wrote

No, you got it worng. Today you want to sprnikle a few mistakes to signal your authenticity. It's the new cool style. Only chatGPT and copyrighting professionals have perfect grammar.

ooonurse t1_j71mt0q wrote

In fairness, every single time I've seen someone use grammarly they were extremely intelligent people with English as their second or third language. I also know one person who uses it because of dyslexia, which has nothing to do with intelligence. Be careful about shaming people for using software commonly used for accessibility.

ThunderySleep t1_j72xf6o wrote

Why? I don't care about your friend's feelings.

This comment was a fine addition to the discussion until you thought you could tell me what to do.

cunth t1_j71nxsu wrote

Ability to execute will become even more important when competence is normalized.

new_name_who_dis_ t1_j6x95yq wrote

What do you mean by that?

IWantAGrapeInMyMouth t1_j6xfc23 wrote

Hope this finds you well,

Machine learning can facilitate the use of managerial buzzwords by enabling natural language processing algorithms to identify and categorize key phrases and terminology commonly used in management and corporate settings. This can facilitate the generation of buzzword-rich language in real-time, empowering individuals to communicate more effectively and authentically within a business context. Additionally, machine learning can also be leveraged to analyze large datasets, identifying emerging buzzwords and trends in management speak, thus allowing individuals to stay ahead of the curve and stay relevant in the constantly evolving corporate landscape.

Best,

[YOUR NAME]

(I'd say it's pretty much got it nailed)

venustrapsflies t1_j6xfj4u wrote

And yet I didn't read the word "synergistic" once. Guess AI just isn't there yet.

IWantAGrapeInMyMouth t1_j6xftqf wrote

we'll have to circle back and see where it's at in Q3

Terkala t1_j6xlatc wrote

Has anyone ever actually circled back later when they said this? I remember it being a meme for "I'm going to ignore you now".

time_flask t1_j6ymeqz wrote

Technically yes. When something breaks and you recall that meeting where we said we'd pick it up but just didn't

JQuilty t1_j6z6l0e wrote

Why must we wait for Q3? Our dynamic process allows us to skate the puck in real time.

the320x200 t1_j6zv69g wrote

We're blocked due to key stakeholders needing to get alignment on deliverables. Let's schedule a deep-dive.

smt1 t1_j6z14sq wrote

lots of words, low information density per sentence

blacksnowboader t1_j70nk58 wrote

I am bad at corporate speak, and I often say the wrong thing. So now I use chatgpt to write mildly passive aggressive emails and politically correct chat messages.

comfytoday t1_j71avhz wrote

care to share a sample?

blacksnowboader t1_j724p27 wrote

Hey ChatGPT can you phrase this [sentence] to be politically correct?

comfytoday t1_j745ig2 wrote

I was hoping for a sample of your mildly passive aggressive emails.

mycall t1_j70ntto wrote

If it helps educate people who talk fart, its golden.

djc1000 t1_j6xb9r4 wrote

It’s really interesting to see how companies are trying to productize ai. The teams features seem both powerful, and a total waste of a billion dollar language model. I hope we start to see better.

Nhabls t1_j6xemzb wrote

GPT-3 didn't cost a billion to train

It does cost a LOT of money to run, which is why you're unlikely to "see better" for the short and medium term future. Unless you're into paying hundreds to thousands per month for this functionality

cthorrez t1_j6xg1ke wrote

Microsoft paid 1B to use GPT3.

Nhabls t1_j6xhm7v wrote

I don't think the billion was for gpt alone, it was to build out an entire AI ecosystem within azure and a big chunk of it was handed out as azure credits anyway

bokonator t1_j6yecgt wrote

Microsoft recently paid 10B$ to get full access to the model and allow openAI full access to Azure GPUs and a 49% ownership.

Nhabls t1_j6ymdmr wrote

The 10 Billion dollar deal is, reportedly, giving microsoft 75% of OpenAI's profits until a certain threshold, that's more than just any given model

anananananana t1_j715cp1 wrote

Wow, OpenAI indeed. They couldn't have gone more against the original intention of democratizing AI if they tried.

DM-me-ur-tits-plz- t1_j73n2dw wrote

When they originally went closed-source they claimed it was because of the dangers that being open-sourced presented.

About a year later they dropped their non-profit status and sold out to Microsoft.

Love the company, but that's some crazy double speak there.

AristosTotalis t1_j6ye5hn wrote

yep. $1B in cash but they have to use Azure as their exclusive compute cloud compute provider, which Microsoft probably sells to OAI at ~cost

I think it' safe to assume that 2/3 of that will go towards training & inference, and if you also assume M doesn't make nor lose money selling compute (and in fact they get to strengthen Azure as a cloud infra player), they really only paid ~$300M to invest in OAI at what seems like a great price in hindsight

Nhabls t1_j6ymqwr wrote

Well OpenAI also, in that scenario, got a massive on demand compute infrastructure at cost, that's a good deal both ways.

LetterRip t1_j6yj4z2 wrote

GPT-3 can be quantized to 4bit with little loss, to run on 2 Nvidia 3090's/4090's (Unpruned, pruned perhaps 1 3090/4090). At 2$ a day for 8 hours of electricity to run them, and 21 working days per month. That is 42$ per month (plus amortized cost of the cards and computer to store them).

Nhabls t1_j6ymx0w wrote

I seriously doubt they have been able to do what you just described.

Not to mention a rented double gpu setup, even the one you described would run you into the dozen(s) of dollars per day, not 2.

cunth t1_j71ocf6 wrote

Not sure about the above claim, but you can train a GPT2 model in 38 hours for about 600 bucks on rented hardware now. Costs are certainly coming down.

TheTerrasque t1_j6ybrk0 wrote

Well, you got deepmind's chinchilla model, and Google's CALM approach that can increase the speed of interference by maybe 3x - in addition to other tricks..

Sirisian t1_j6yja6v wrote

Part of this is about brand identity also. Even if a technology isn't perfect some companies try to get in early. This is similar to virtual reality and mixed reality trends. The industry sees an inevitable future and want to be the name people think of. If one assumes gradual improvements until ~2045, then this is long-term planning. (Or short-term depending on improvements expected. It's possible MS has insider information that skews their motives).

IshKebab t1_j6ygd21 wrote

Doesn't seem like a waste to me. If it works (big if!) I can see it cutting out a lot of tedious tasks.

LeanderKu t1_j6y7cge wrote

I actually find automatically generating notes to be a smart and useful application. I often have 1 on 1 remote meetings and I find it difficult to both present and discuss my work while also taking notes. It often happens to me that I focus on something so that I forget I should also take notes, which I then notice a week later when I have forgotten half of the tasks. If it would work reliably then I can imagine it to be a very useful addition.

I have never used teams though, everything's on zoom.

kineticjab t1_j6z8m2i wrote

WebEx can actually automatically produce transcripts of your meetings (via transcription). Seems easy enough to parse the transcript for action items and such

MjrK t1_j70d3mx wrote

> Seems easy enough to parse the transcript for action items and such

That was never thought to be easy; but it is becoming that way now.

visarga t1_j6zapcm wrote

That's why I keep pen and notebook open in front of my keyboard at all times, I take light notes during meetings and use it as scratchpad when I am thinking. I can fill 100 pages in a month, almost never re-read except for meeting notes.

[deleted] t1_j6xidi0 wrote

[deleted]

TREDOTCOM t1_j6xlhve wrote

I got it working with Siri. Build a new Shortcut using the HTTP method they have built-in to structure your API call (don’t forget to include your API key) and boom.

Necessary_Ad_9800 t1_j6xmy87 wrote

Maybe fix the damn app first, it’s so slow and buggy

nraw t1_j6zusm5 wrote

But that's part of the Microsoft branding.

sdmat t1_j709dml wrote

Teams popped up a request for feedback the other day. They might not ask me again.

yaosio t1_j71zddj wrote

It won't be too long before they can use co-pilot to fix code for them.

7734128 t1_j7aioqq wrote

Our school held some lectures over teams during the pandemic. There's a pop-up each time someone tries to enter a teams meeting, which is annoying in normal cases but disastrous when there's 200+ participants.

gyanster t1_j6yerid wrote

Clippy 2.0

invisiblelemur88 t1_j830p90 wrote

I'm really hoping they reuse Clippy for this because it'd be hilarious if Clippy ends up being the AI that conquers the world.

keisukegoda3804 t1_j6z5ppy wrote

This is devastating to startups in the meeting transcription market. Solutions like Otter and Fireflies cost $15-20 per month and only have a fraction of the featureset of Teams Premium. Really interested to see how this develops.

votadini_ t1_j6xh47v wrote

It still doesn't make me want to use Teams.

LeumasInkwater t1_j6zdg60 wrote

Honestly all the GPT stuff they are introducing seems pretty useful.

I like the idea of having automatic tasks generated after a meeting. I usually jot down 'follow-up' items while in meetings, and send them out to relevant coworkers afterward. It would only save me 5 minutes or so after every call, but could maybe help me focus more on what's being said rather than writing everything down 🤷‍♂️.

Also flagging parts of a meeting that you missed, auto-chapters, and tagging sections by the speaker all seem genuinely helpful.

That being said, my company doesn't use Microsoft products, so I hope to see features like this come to other platforms.

wintermute93 t1_j6xkyub wrote

Somehow this feels less impactful than I was thinking it would feel. I mean, Gmail has had sentence autocomplete suggestions for a long time now, and this is largely the same kind of thing.

ReginaldIII t1_j6ybiju wrote

This isn't being used for autocomplete or any user text generation purposes though.

They're using it to summarize and make todo lists from the Whisper extracted transcripts of video meetings. Users aren't getting a frontend to run arbitrary stuff through the model. Seems like a pretty legitimate use case.

wintermute93 t1_j6yc6ia wrote

Oh, nice, autogenerated meeting minutes and stuff is a great QOL feature. I, uh, probably should have read the article, oops

kaiser_xc t1_j78uph3 wrote

This is Reddit. Nobody reads the articles. Don’t worry.

visarga t1_j6zb3ca wrote

> largely the same kind of thing.

For what value of largely? How many coherent words can it write? Does it also obey commands and solve tasks?

bigabig t1_j6yc5gr wrote

Is the automatic transcription done with openai whisper?

gxh8N t1_j707mp7 wrote

No, it'd be too expensive. Azure Cognitive Services.

liquiddandruff t1_j8p8fxo wrote

whisper is an open source model and there are fast C++ open source implementations that can perform live transcription on an RPI, what are you talking about lol

Nhabls t1_j6xea7p wrote

Integrating cut down version of GPTs into premium products.. more or less what was obvious to come from this.

visarga t1_j6zb9em wrote

Many AI teams are scrambling now to label data with GPT-3 and train their small efficient models from GPT-3 predictions. This makes the hard part of data labelling much easier, speeds up development 10 times. In the end you get your cheap & fast models that work about as good as GPT-3 but only on a narrow task.

theoneandonlypatriot t1_j70ny0h wrote

Hmm can you elaborate a bit as someone who works in ai? How are you labeling data with gpt-3?

visarga t1_j712mwb wrote

My task is in the NLP space, maybe that makes it more approacheable - information extraction from semistructured documents. I can do extraction from existing documents with GPT-3 (question answering) or I can generate new data with known tags.

cunth t1_j71ovks wrote

Getting a good data set to train a model is usually the most time-consuming task. You need breadth amd depth of content so your model doesn't overfit and work for just a handful of narrow use cases.

Supervised learning algorithms need labeled data (e.g. classification tags) and this is traditionally done with people. If that can be done with AI, you can complete this 100x faster and probably more accurately.

justowen4 t1_j70hxwf wrote

Site is down; Microsoft was never expecting more than a few people to read their blog

[deleted] t1_j739mc4 wrote

CLIPPY MAKES HIS GLORIOUS RETURN!!?!?!!!!

ALL HAIL CLIPPY THE AI SENTIENT SUPER GOD

DustinKli t1_j7p03xt wrote

I'm still waiting for GPT to be integrated into EXCEL.

HipposWild t1_j6zczw8 wrote

How many gpus does that take to run?

ojdajuiceman25 t1_j6zvjpr wrote

My job got a demo a couple months back and some of the capabilities are incredible. The live translation might really be a game changer

kalyanganji2123 t1_j714ag9 wrote

Hiw it's gonna be helpful in teams? Any idea

Arthropodesque t1_j75ls38 wrote

Maybe it's so the devs can get used to working with AI Assitance. It will be an experiment to overhaul a software with AI Assistance. This is the future.

We can rebuild him: Stronger Faster

The 10 Billion Dollar Man that will then be an asset that can increase productivity 20% as of now, but will get exponentially better.

labloke11 t1_j70xxja wrote

So.... your meeting transcript becomes part of gpt's training dataset. No Thanks!

singularineet t1_j710h53 wrote

No matter how hard they try to whack-a-mole them, the biases of the model will come through, particularly by omission. Example? It's super bad about minimizing Jewish history, or saying awful things about the Holocaust like that it was harmful to both the victims and the perpetrators. It's basically like working with a raging racist who's trying to follow a list of very specifically worded instructions from a woke but low functioning autistic HR dept.