Submitted by RoyalRootersRallyCry t3_z9zv8k in Maine

I haven't been to the Mall area in South Portland for years and years. I'm taking my Mother out tomorrow to do some shopping, and then have dinner. We're open to any style of food. Where should we go?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

iceflame1211 t1_iyjl32g wrote

Sebago Brewing's on the perimeter, but pretty decent food/beer/price/value-wise

FreddyEngelsMustache t1_iyk6599 wrote

Over off western Ave in a shitty little strip mall is Pom’s Thai and that shit absolutely SLAPS

schilling207 t1_iyjh0mr wrote

Jaffa if you want a quick bite, Tuscan Table for sit down.

DidDunMegasploded t1_iyjinul wrote

Tuscan Table is one off the top of my head but the prices are a little steep last I checked. Pizza Plus in Scarborough is good for pizza. There's also Sebago Brewing Company, also in Scarborough, right on the city line. Imperial China is excellent for Chinese--definitely one of my two favorite Chinese places.

That's all I can think of for local stuff, though. Portland has most of the local stuff. SoPo has chains.

BorisGrishenko1985 t1_iykwljf wrote

Imperial China closed :/

DidDunMegasploded t1_iyl0cnr wrote

It did? Was there a news article on its closing too, like with Cracker Barrel?

If true then that's a real pity...although they didn't do good business and the pandemic probably gave them a dent.

EDIT: Punched it into Google, and yep, permanently closed. Damn. Massive disappointment.

BorisGrishenko1985 t1_iylyqfj wrote

Agreed. I’ve been getting food there since before I can remember. Great sit down spot, great family who ran it, and my fav Chinese food in the area. Chia Sen is solid too. I wish them the best in whatever comes next for them. They had to have been in business there for at least 30 years.

LaChanz t1_iyjx14a wrote

Home to the last Friendlys in Maine.

It was always a hit or miss franchise. When they were good they were very good, but when you found a bad one, Mystic, CT comes to mind, they were horrid. I've always enjoyed the So Po one when I get down there.

DidDunMegasploded t1_iyk2ked wrote

Always a fan of their mozzarella sticks. Used to love going to the SoPo one a lot when I was a kid. Drive-thru wait was horrid pre-pandemic, though...cannot imagine what it's like now.

FredegarBolger910 t1_iykkmpd wrote

My Dad’s college roommate was from Springfield at started with them in the 50s when they were still just a local chain, retired in the 80s as a VP

Lieutenant_Joe t1_iyk3zgw wrote

My great grandmother used to love Friendly’s. The start of the franchise’s slow death coinciding with her passing feels fateful.

Aggressive_FIamingo t1_iyljwpa wrote

I'm a sucker for the honey barbecue chicken supermelt - one of my favorite crappy restaurant sandwiches.

Walter_J_Bro t1_iyk1qi5 wrote

I like Sebago or Tuscan Table depending on what I want to spend and whether or not I want to watch something on the TVs from a booth in the Sebago bar area. I've liked everything I've had from Tuscan Table and Sebago is just reliable pub type food.

nuevoguero t1_iyk9wm3 wrote

Honestly the mall food court is going off. Tacos la poblanita, soul food paradise and Jaffa 🤤

manual84 t1_iykfqch wrote

As a Mainer turned Californian returned Mainer, I can confirm that Tacos La Poblanita are the ONLY good low key Mexican in Maine. Better than Taco Trio, better than Bird&Co, better than El Corazon, you name it. Regards and Terlingua are good elevated Mexican/Tex Mex, but La Poblanita comes closest to my LA favorites.

ScenePlayful1872 t1_iykbf48 wrote

Sadly, too late for York Steak House. The original restaurant inside the mall. Cafeteria line set-up. For steak.

meowmix778 t1_iykwh9o wrote

Moe's BBQ if you want something quick

JustDubbinAround t1_iyjhfn5 wrote

If you like diner food, Blast From The Past Too down in Scarborough was excellent when I was last down that way. It's not that far away from the mall.

lazerchin t1_iyjm6od wrote

I second Jaffa Ive had it s couple times and they do a good job. Mediterranean fare off of the food court in the mall

MrsMaine14 t1_iykbjph wrote

Tuscan table like everyone says. I’m also a huge fan of Long Horn!

goodinyou t1_iykc0g8 wrote

Heidi's Brooklin Deli is great. Taj too

gawilliam2017 t1_iykt84f wrote

Kobe Sushi and Steak house really good place for food and drinks I've always loved it there when I went with my mom and sister for girls night.

The_Stein244 t1_iynewxp wrote

1. Taj (Indian)
  2. KOBE (Japanese)
  3. Tuscan Table (Italian)

piratecheese13 t1_iyl6uy6 wrote

Moe’s bbq, Elevation Burger and every east coast chain you can think of. Chick-fil-A if you’re willing to go to Westbrook.

Salmence100 t1_iyl7mku wrote

This might be more of a lunch place, but my lord the soul food restaurant in the food court is SO good

Notmystationbro t1_iykcu1f wrote

Chilis is right across the street from the Maine mall

−1

[deleted] t1_iyji7r3 wrote

[deleted]

−6

RoyalRootersRallyCry OP t1_iyjib3f wrote

Oh man, absolute garbage food, but there's something somehow enjoyable about that place, isn't there?

Weekly_Inside_5720 t1_iyk2m64 wrote

Having Cracker Barrel down in Midwest/southern states is a whole different experience. When I moved here everyone looked at me like I was crazy for eating biscuits and gravy.

DidDunMegasploded t1_iyk2hfp wrote

The one in South Portland is? Why's that?

[deleted] t1_iyk2uab wrote

[deleted]

DidDunMegasploded t1_iyk4poi wrote

Is there an article on it, by chance? I read local news almost on the daily, never heard of this.

[deleted] t1_iyk4x3o wrote

[deleted]

thatgirlblowitdown t1_iyk8cun wrote

I can’t find anything on channel 6’s website about Cracker Barrel closing, hopefully it isn’t true😩 I love their pancakes lol

DidDunMegasploded t1_iykakhq wrote

Ah, that would explain things. I get my news digitally, not over airwaves. The article will probably hit their website soon.

Quite a shame...went there once several months ago. It was pretty good.

OniExpress t1_iykdqkf wrote

Lame. I'll have to stop in to pick up one of their cast iron pans before they're gone.

oldncrusty68 t1_iykdtyi wrote

Just an old rumor. Cracker Barrel is way to busy to got out of business.