Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Mammoth-Quote-7057 t1_j0yqznh wrote

He's not in handicapped parking. He's in the literal no parking zone, he's an ass hat.

GreenStoneRidge t1_j0yqvc8 wrote

Last week there was a police officer actively ticketing cars at the Westbrook Hannaford for parking handicap without tags. It was quite refreshing to see.

My father is handicap and it's brutal when they try to go someplace and can't park handicap. He needs assistance to get into and out of the car and they NEED that stripped zone. So for anyone out there that thinks it's not a big deal cause you are just running in and out. You are a selfish prick

DidDunMegasploded t1_j0zez5p wrote

You know what's also refreshing? Seeing a police officer enforce a law for a change. Especially one that really should be enforced far more than it is.

Ticketing people for going 5 over? Nah. Ticketing ableists for parking in handicapped spots with no placard or plate ID? Yeah.

coastalgirl207 OP t1_j0yr9uc wrote

I love that they were actively looking. It’s highly inconsiderate. It goes without saying- don’t fucking park there!

GoArmyNG t1_j0z462w wrote

Westbrook cops are tough but in the right places. It's not always their fault you're getting a ticket. I took a cop to court to contest a ticket for blowing through a crosswalk with someone in it. Turns out it was a cop in street clothes with the cop that pulled me over, sitting in a driveway a few feet further down. I contested it because I had no way of seeing the pedestrian in the crosswalk because he just suddenly appeared in front of me from behind a parked car. I had to choose between running him over and going around him. So I went around.

The cop that pulled me over pulled me aside a few days after the case (I was living locally at the time) and actually commended me for using the courts to fight it out rather than trying to argue with him during the stop. I simply informed him that I would be contesting the ticket and immediately filed for a date.

Antnee83 t1_j0zv3qz wrote

Next time don't them you're contesting. They rarely show up.

GoArmyNG t1_j0zvi35 wrote

I'm honestly not sure it matters. They're free to not show up, even if you tell them you're going to contest, right? I mean, definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

Antnee83 t1_j0zw88y wrote

Correct, but I'm sure they're incentivized to do so even if it's not technically "legal" for them to be incentivized. I'm not positive but I think ticket revenue gets routed to the department in some way or another.

If you tell them, then they know you're going to show. If you don't, why would they sit around in court all day for nothing?

GoArmyNG t1_j0zwwwp wrote

I mean, that's their business, not mine. What mattered to me in that courtroom was being treated fairly for what happened. I guess I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

−1

Antnee83 t1_j105gnb wrote

What I'm saying is that if the officer doesn't show, you don't pay the ticket.

Thus, your odds are better if you don't tell the officer up front that you intend to contest, because then you have a better chance of the officer not showing up.

GoArmyNG t1_j105quk wrote

Ah, even still, I won and had the ticket waived, so in this instance, it didn't really matter. Thanks for your input, though. I'll try to remember that for next time.

siebzy t1_j0yp3xq wrote

I'm 100% ok with posting plates in cases like this. Name n shame all the way.

Lulubelle2021 t1_j0yqiqm wrote

I posted a shame photo of a dealer doing this in my home area and half of my redditors objected to the post. I say shame away, post the plates.

SR70 t1_j0yxqb1 wrote

It’s a whole other topic, but really, if I gave you a plate number could you honestly tell me who it is and their personal information?

MisterMan-Maine t1_j0z8gpy wrote

This is Maine, you give someone any information and they can string it back to someone else. I mean shit we really are a small town in this state.

siebzy t1_j0z9fau wrote

With some work, yeah probably. Am I going to? No, not worth my time.

Laeek t1_j0zsucp wrote

It's like $100 yearly subscription for InforME which gets you access to that and other Maine public records.

There are private services as well, I imagine they pull from an InforME account as well as other sources.

siebzy t1_j10u6ku wrote

That's $100 better spent at the bar

Laeek t1_j10vw9q wrote

Yeah, its not really marketed to or useful for the average person. A law firm I worked at had a subscription that we occasionally made use of. Just saying, if you did want to find out who a car belongs to it's pretty trivial to do so.

coastalgirl207 OP t1_j0yrbxg wrote

I wanted to show some respect, but hell they don’t even deserve it. Fuck em

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j121xsz wrote

It'll be on your concious If you dox someone and some crazy idiot from the internet does something stupid. Hell it may even legally be on you. I wish you kids thought more before putting things on the internet. There are dangerous people who think they're doing good things. They justify their hate and anger and eventually it becomes action. You exposing someone to that, over a parking job, is disgusting. It's immature and dangerous. You have a responsibility to be better than the crowd egging you on.

raynedanser t1_j0yvpzv wrote

.... They're not even in a parking space.

That's some kind of special right there.

PotLuckyPodcast t1_j0ywkv2 wrote

Some jerks keep parking in the handicap accessible spaces at the woodfprds club. I've taken pictures of the cars parked there over the last month and I'd like to report them but I don't know how :(

coastalgirl207 OP t1_j0yzwx5 wrote

That’s what I was wondering! Like is it too late to report? Seems like it as they aren’t actively parked there anymore

transmorgrifier t1_j0yxgtc wrote

Call/Message police. That space is no parking so handicapped have room to open lifts, move wheelchairs, etc.

Even if the lot appears empty, it's not the place for him.

coastalgirl207 OP t1_j0yzycm wrote

There were PLENTY of spots. Is it too late to report?

transmorgrifier t1_j0z1j9x wrote

How long ago was it? If he's still parked there, yes, you can still report him.

coastalgirl207 OP t1_j0z1nb4 wrote

Unfortunately it was last night :(

transmorgrifier t1_j0z1v0q wrote

If the car is gone, then it's an opportunity lost.

If the car is still there, yes, I'd call now.

DidDunMegasploded t1_j0zf90y wrote

If you park in handicapped spots when you have no placard and no plate ID (i.e., the handicap symbol), then you are ableist and should be sent to the deepest layer of hell when you go, full fucking stop. This is established fact.

And really, this law should be enforced more. I roll my eyes whenever I see a car parked in a handicap spot that shouldn't be there.

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j121ewr wrote

That is some vile nonsense to say about another human being.

DidDunMegasploded t1_j12a80x wrote

No it's not. I don't take pity on ableists and I don't hold any sympathy for them. No one should take pity on them and no one should hold any sympathy for them either.

If this guy parked decently then I wouldn't be saying the things I said. But alas, he's a douche who intentionally made this move and I can and will shit on him accordingly.

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j12ae6g wrote

Its a human being. Are you so desensitized to empathy you'd actually wish death on someone over a parking spot?

DidDunMegasploded t1_j12d4lq wrote

It's a human being, but it's an ableist human being.

Why would I empathize with an ableist when I myself am disabled? Makes absolutely no sense. People do this shit all the time because they don't care about one of the most vulnerable minorities in society. They are asswipes, pure and simple.

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j12f58s wrote

Because mature adults see past their own childish anger and hatred.

DidDunMegasploded t1_j12krzb wrote

Why are you trying so hard to make an excuse for ableism? Being mad at things like ableism, racism and sexism isn't "childish anger and hatred". If you believe such, then it wouldn't be too far-fetched to guess you're one of 'em too.

In this case, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to guess you're ableist as well and are defending this guy. We disabled people have a right to be mad at ableism because it directly affects us. Same way black people have a right to be mad at racism.

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j13da30 wrote

You're making a lot of assumptions because you're not emotionally mature. You're claiming to know me because I think it's ridiculous you want someone to "burn in the lowest pits of hell full stop" over a parking spot. I don't need to prove to you that I'm not anything that you've wrongly claimed I am. You're acting like it's a competition. I'm betting you're around 25 years old. I hope you turn away from this hate filled path. You cannot enjoy life if you're too busy being a victim.

DidDunMegasploded t1_j13gms3 wrote

Lmao, classic projection right there. Anyone who doesn't recognize ableism (or racism, or sexism) and just says "meh, who cares" to it instead of getting mad and fighting to combat it is already emotionally immature. Plus, you just assumed my age. Pick a lane or I'll do it for you.

I have a right to be mad at ableism because it directly affects me. It affects me in employment, in school, and in general society. You, on the other hand, likely don't have such a right and thus are not affected by it, hence your "meh, who cares" attitude. No sane and smart disabled person would see this and not get mad over it, and you'd dodge the question if I posed the assumption anyway, soooo with that said:

You are entirely missing the point of my comments. I hope one day you can turn your life around, study up on ableism, and fight with us instead of against us, since you seem so brazen to prove me correct in that you are defending this guy and defending ableism by dodging the question as well as a politician.

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j13h8b1 wrote

I haven't talked about this guy once I've only talked about your immature reaction. Are you reading what I'm saying or just waiting to yell at me

DidDunMegasploded t1_j13i8ce wrote

You should pose that question to yourself, bud.

It's not immature to react to ableism, sexism or racism. It's not immature to get mad at ableism, sexism or racism either.

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j13iqhi wrote

You're right, it's not immature to address those very serious issues. I agree. Those are bad things.

There are ways to address them that don't include "these people are no longer human". The greatest part about being a concious thinking person is that not only can YOU learn, but so can THEY. But nobody is going to get anywhere positive if the only vocabulary we use is full of anger and hate. It's a projection of our inner emotional state. Otherwise why would you say those things? Are you not being your authentic self?

Its important for our own well being to monitor our responses. Notice how I haven't insulted you yet, irregardless of the terrible things you've said about me with no justification. You're an adult. Act like a role model not a child.

DidDunMegasploded t1_j14cxyx wrote

Racists aren't really likely to stop being racist. Same goes for ableists and sexists. That's like having hope that anti-vaxxers will see that vaccines save lives, and I have enough experience with them to state the contrary--just like I have enough experience dealing with ableists to say that they aren't going to magically turn good and start treating disabled people with respect. The reality is that many will not. Some do, but it's a small margin--many don't.

If you want to keep living with the delusional belief that everyone who's ableist will turn good with a few magic words and a positive attitude, be my guest. But I'm a realist. I know the gravity of the situation with ableists. Doesn't matter whether you go cupcakes and rainbows or full Hulk. They just will not change.

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j150jdr wrote

You wanna know how I can tell you're immature?

You're so concerned with wtf everyone else is doing and not your own actions as if you're infallible. It means you don't self reflect. You see the world as black and white, us vs them, it is or it isn't.

You cannot control what anyone else does no matter how much you want. You can only control your own reactions. You will understand this concept better when you finally process the trauma that caused you to lose faith in yourself.

Some people just aren't ready. One day you will be. And hopefully you'll have the courage to seek forgiveness from those closest to you.

DidDunMegasploded t1_j15rwpl wrote

Why are you assuming I went through some kind of trauma where I lost faith in myself? You call me out for assuming but yet you assume too. Now that is being immature--mature adults aren't so blatantly hypocritical. Again, pick a lane or I will do it for you.

Ableism, and all the other "isms", will not be solved by reflecting on your own actions. It is a real issue that can't be solved by what you are feeling and what you are doing, nor can it be solved by forgiving the offenders. If I myself were ableist, then your words would hold merit. But I'm not--other people are.

You cannot keep being blind to how shitty the world is. You must be an adult and face the music. But I suppose my warning will fall flat since I realize something now: you are far beyond help and far beyond saving. I see now that you are not disabled yourself, and thus, you do not know the gravity nor the offense of what this guy does--you are part of the breed of people who kick us down and make life for us harder than it has to be. And making you disabled is a cruel feat. So, if you're normal and you refuse to see how this is bad, there is nothing I can do.

You cannot help someone that does not want to help themselves. And whoo boy, does that old family adage apply to you. I hope someday you will work with disabled people instead of trying to preach wisdom to them that, while helpful for some, is not helpful in this case.

Have fun, don't be ableist, and please, change your mentality. For the good of you and for the good of us disabled folks.

Fun-Gap4015 t1_j151212 wrote

There's nothing wrong with you. You're just heart broken. You're worthy of love. Get over yourself.

markleighton75 t1_j1023kj wrote

That's not even a handicapped parking spot

DidDunMegasploded t1_j10rof4 wrote

It's a spot next to a handicap parking spot. For vans with wheelchair lifts, specifically.

SmellsofElderberry25 t1_j124xet wrote

There’s a pole at the Auburn Walmart with this guys name on it.

SnooCats1681 t1_j12uibk wrote

...not to mention the car isn't even parked in a spot!

ExpressFruit4351 t1_j139usv wrote

Too lazy to read if this has already been explained but wheelchair user here to explain why this is still parking in a disabled space: because the striped "no parking zone" is put there for wheelchair equipment to have room to load / unload a chair, meaning that someone who needs a wheelchair has now lost a parking space. Like That space is now physically unusable for someone with a wheelchair lift on that side :(

coastalgirl207 OP t1_j13br1t wrote

I’m shocked with the people who don’t know this already in this thread

Frirish11 t1_j10geo3 wrote

I'm trying to remember if I've been over there. Maybe a young man who is stressed out and grabbing a pizza for his pregnant woman? Just my best guess, not trying to make excuses for anyone. My late husband really was handicapped and he had the placard, but he was stubborn and refused to use the handicap spot unless he had no choice. Or his cane, for that matter. People are weird.

[deleted] t1_j10ujlb wrote

[deleted]

MapleFlavoredBumhole t1_j11vxzl wrote

I'm disabled and call bullshit. That is a no parking zone for van access. If you're handicapped, you should know that and know not to park there. Also, if you look behind this car, there's open spaces that are also close to the door. This person is a dickhead. Point blank.

For those who don't know: lots of handicap vans have wheelchair ramps and/or lifts that require space next to the vehicle to operate. Thus the no parking hash marks next to most handicapped parking spaced. You don't park there. Period. Handicapped or not.

coastalgirl207 OP t1_j13c6ho wrote

If they were indeed handicapped, why would they block the wheelchair access for another handicap person? You don’t make sense. The lack of consideration is still displayed by the parking job. I’m not going to assume they needed it unless I saw the person, which I didn’t, so we can agree to disagree as you didn’t see them either lmao

coastalgirl207 OP t1_j13ccbf wrote

The people getting upset for me posting this picture show that people will argue over literally anything. It’s just a picture to show some idiot, and now we are assuming we know the individual. I also love the amount of you who don’t realize that if a parking spot REGARDLESS has slash marks on it DON’T PARK THERE. I hope some of you don’t drive

TarantinoFan23 t1_j16vrlx wrote

I think this depends on the situation. Typically, I think people should be able to use stuff if other people are not using it.

Look at all the land that people could farm on but is just neglected by it's careless rich owners.

Or 2-3 empty houses for every homeless person. Its insanity.

GuppyGB t1_j0zt7wf wrote

Not a handicapped spot

raynedanser t1_j102444 wrote

Not even a parking spot. it's BETWEEN handicap spots for wheelchair access. Anyone parking there is a shit human.

suckadickdess t1_j0z0okw wrote

I mean but it’s probably some old person. Give them a break. If it was a full lot and they took up two spots that’s a lot worse. Frankly I’m terrible at parking but I’m not going to back up and repark if I don’t need to.

−6

raynedanser t1_j1028db wrote

No. Don't use handicapped spots if you're not handicapped. Don't park in the wheelchair access spot period. Don't be a shit human.

coastalgirl207 OP t1_j0z1l2b wrote

Even if you were in a handicap spot and not handicapped? They could be young, they could be old. Obviously I didn’t see the individual when they came back to the car. This is a fairly big lot and is incredibly illegal so I don’t think it’s really worth it. I’m sure you also have dings and scratches on your door from parking like shit and people around you trying to get in. Be considerate. Don’t be a dick

−1

suckadickdess t1_j106p4v wrote

Who said anything about handicapped spots. They aren’t even in one. And even so, it’s not like there’s going to be a mad rush of disabled people going to ottos . Mainers get too self righteous about this shit.

−1

raynedanser t1_j10qosz wrote

They are in a wheel chair access spot. People in chairs NEED that space. People shouldn't be douches by parking there.

suckadickdess t1_j10sd4f wrote

Ok well I didn’t realize that’s what that space was for.

−1