Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Chelseafc5505 t1_j5qm8rl wrote

I need to go check it out...

Judging by the recent coverage I've seen in here....

the consensus is that its pretty nice, and a welcome addition to the city, but the hours are shit and it kinda fcks over the locals in favour of the commuters/visitors/devil's fans?

Anything else i'm missing?/should know before going down

NewNewark t1_j5qqvaz wrote

Theres not much to see.

Pharmacy thats been there for years (good)
Dunkin that closes at 2
Jersey Mikes that closes at 4
Cookies that close at 6

Thats it. If the construction doors on the other food places are open, youll notice many are 6 months away from opening.

Chelseafc5505 t1_j5qw0i2 wrote

Damn that sounds pretty lame.

I'm also interested in the architecture as a former arch student, so I guess I'll plan on a coffee and a cookie and a brief visit lol.

NewNewark t1_j5qwmxd wrote

If you like generic modern airport architecture, youre in for a treat

Chelseafc5505 t1_j5qwqej wrote

😆🙄

Echos_myron123 t1_j5r5r3l wrote

In regard to both architecture and food, you will be very disappointed.

Chelseafc5505 t1_j5r69a4 wrote

Eh dunkin is hard to fuck up, and cookies? How bad can they be..

Gotta check the box ya know

Nexis4Jersey t1_j5tffid wrote

Dunkins at least for me region wide has become slower and the quality of food has slipped...its also more expensive for the amount you get.

Chelseafc5505 t1_j5tfnlr wrote

Literally everything has become more expensive lol, can't really call out Dunkin on that.

I've not noticed a drop in quality tho.

Frequent_Blackberry6 t1_j5r0667 wrote

Just for the Publicity the Landlord gave a space to ONE Black Owned Business. And It is the worst space in the building all the way at the end.

There are no Local Newark Businesses from the Ironbound or Downtown Newark. These big Developers come to Newark acting like they own the place. Not cool

effort268 t1_j5rcq9e wrote

I mean local businesses can rent the space they just have to call and pay the rent. It’s actually quite nice that they paid all the upfront cost to a local business.

With that being said, I’m still upset how the place closes so damn early! That ruins rhe experience for the residents of the city

Frequent_Blackberry6 t1_j5re7je wrote

They are not paying Up Front costs for Uncle Willies Wings. They just saved a spot for him. He’s a Black War Veteran. You are right there is good in it But for all the wrong reasons. They should integrate more with the Newark Community.

sutisuc t1_j5w12a4 wrote

Few states and cities are worse at promoting their own brand than NJ and Newark.

Frequent_Blackberry6 t1_j5w1e0z wrote

The owner of Gateway Center, Onyx Equities, got Tax Breaks from the state and City.

sutisuc t1_j5w1k2f wrote

Oh yeah I’m not even talking about that, just commenting on how the state and city do a poor job of promoting, cultivating, etc themselves. This city is certainly up for sale to out of town developers

Jimmy_kong253 t1_j5qv69s wrote

I tried to walk over the walkway from Newark Penn Friday and the security guard told me employees only still

cmonsquelch t1_j5rnm6b wrote

yeah they definitely close early; i tried entering from the street side across from Penn on 2 separate Fridays before 5pm and it was locked

Jimmy_kong253 t1_j5sshfm wrote

So they didn't learn anything from before the renovation I see. They had a Starbucks over there that eventually closed but from the day it opened it had the worst hours I've ever seen it was like 8am to 3pm then towards the end it became 9am to noon

Grimkins t1_j5qw5xp wrote

Does anyone remember the name of the Black-Owned chicken place that used to be in the gateway? Their mac and cheese was amazing. I hope the owners are doing ok.

inf4mation t1_j5tqrbf wrote

I rather spend my money to businesses that actually want to serve the locals of the city they operate in.

felsonj t1_j5rwxdo wrote

This development has Parkinson's. How does it take six months to build out a 2K sq ft. space after you've taken over a year to open? What have they been doing all this time?

Anyone want to take bets on which will happen first? Halo topping out or all these restaurants actually opening -- and for more than two seconds, unlike the pop-ups on Halsey?

HudsonGuy91 t1_j5s3fhr wrote

OK...so I finally checked it out today, as I wanted to fetch a cookie from Chip City. The cookie was very good, btw, if a bit overpriced, but you get a lotta cookie for your $4.50. Back to the complex itself...granted, I was in a rush and didn't fully investigate every inch of it, but it's not too different from what I remember. I just...I dunno, I had this grand idea of a sparkling and airy new main entrance on Market. Maybe it's my stupidity and I understood the whole thing wrong. The main entrance seems to be across from Penn Station on Raymond Plaza. And looking back on Google Street View, yeah, it looks much better than it did, but I feel like Market Street should be the main entrance. And there's no sigeage outside. People arriving from out of town have no idea all these food and drink options are inside what looks like another office building. And if I as a local had trouble parking and knowing which way to walk in, how will those not remotely familiar with it know? And, yes, the hours. It's super early, literally day one. Give it time, I tell myself. I desperately wanna believe it'll become some kind of destination, but...

HudsonGuy91 t1_j5s3o5x wrote

And while security gave me no trouble, I still felt on edge every time I walked by one of them, waiting for them to stop and question me.

Jstarks4444 t1_j5tu75k wrote

This. Their mere presence at the entrances is intimidating, not welcoming. Management should send those guards on rounds, have them walking around -- not posted up at the entrances staring at every person walking in and out

sutisuc t1_j5w0zxj wrote

Yeah but what if a homeless person walks in and is allowed to freely move around and about /s

sprocketrevolt t1_j5tv6t9 wrote

Walked through the other day headed to work cuz it was raining. My only take away is that they cleaned it up, slapped some new pant and what not on the place, and when you get to that point in the hall just before you enter Newark Penn, the ceiling and windows still leak real bad. Shrug.

Grand_Contact_7004 t1_j5yr3vn wrote

Forget bout Dunkin and Chips …. What food places are in there ..