Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Virtual-Value5005 t1_j9w7tsi wrote

Wouldn't there be a special election like other states or does PA have a strange constitutional state law that the gov picks?

Hazel1928 t1_j9w837e wrote

As far as I know, the Governor appoints someone, but I think the appointment only lasts until the next congressional election. So, less than 2 years. Rod Blagoyevich (sp) of Illinois got in trouble because he wanted favors or money when he had the chance to appoint someone to fill Obama’s senate seat when Obama was elected president. And

mikeyHustle t1_j9wadg0 wrote

Such things have happened, like wives getting appointed to replace their husbands, but . . . they probably shouldn't? Gisele rules, but the whole idea seems like something that shouldn't happen.

idealzebra t1_j9wamra wrote

Gisele Fetterman is amazing but she would also never want that job.

dks38 t1_j9we2x8 wrote

Giselle has three kids and a husband recovering from a stroke… yeah I don’t think that’s a wise pick.

HectorsMascara t1_j9wflz3 wrote

Why? Because she's a woman born in Brazil? You think his degrees and experience are community property?

−12

Hazel1928 t1_j9whfk0 wrote

No I don’t think his degrees are community property. She also has community development experience focusing on nutrition. In fact that is how they met. And after he suffered the stroke, I think she supported him personally and professionally and I would even venture to say she may have made a difference in the number of votes he got. Although the Republicans’ unserious nominee also probably helped Fetterman’s vote count.

−2

[deleted] OP t1_j9wiqtm wrote

Anyone who's healthy and capable....Certainly not Giselle.

−6

dks38 t1_j9wj2rw wrote

As a parent of three kids I couldn’t imagine the pressure she is feeling while her partner is recovering. Personally, I think he needs 6 months of solid rehab at home and reassess his ability. At that point, let him make the decision. If he can’t handle the position than Shapiro needs to make a strategic decision.

Hazel1928 t1_j9wjfqv wrote

You are right. It wouldn’t be the right time for her. I think she could have s successful career in politics once her husband is stable. But she would have to start small, like he did.

−21

h0pedivision t1_j9wskic wrote

You guys are so obsessed with the idea of him not coming back. It’s been a week… He’s not going to be hospitalized forever. I’m just sick of this being made into some type of spectacle. I feel like it’s only because it’s a mental health issue too. If it were some other type of illness, a lot of people wouldn’t be making such a big deal out of this.

Jkane007 t1_j9wtihi wrote

I would think she would be considered along w Conor lamb and Malcom Kenyatta but I think the easy way out would be Tom Wolff and probably what he’d do. BUT. Like many here, I am pulling that Sen Fetterman bounces back.

Hazel1928 t1_j9wvh56 wrote

It’s really not that. I have just been so impressed with her on the campaign trail. I get these little quirks. I wanted H Clinton to win the primary and the general in 2008 just so we would have Bush 41, Clinton 42, Bush 43;, Clinton 44. And school kids would have to learn who each of the 4 was and their connections

−43

That_GUY_2660 t1_j9x1364 wrote

We have 106 year old fucking zombies in Congress who are wheeled in to vote then put back in their crypt Till the next one. Now as soon as Fetterman has the first issue we suddenly have to put him out to pasture…

Responsible-Type-392 t1_j9xbus6 wrote

I’m not a fan of the wives serving out their husbands terms in office. Pick someone who will want to run again and stay in office.

[deleted] OP t1_j9xbvjg wrote

As a Fetterman voter and a long-time depression sufferer, the timing of him needing help is definitely curious. At the very least, it is a sign that not giving himself time to heal from the trauma of a stroke was probably not wise. I really wouldn't be surprised if politics on this level is not for him. He was being dragged for his stroke, and now he and his family are being dragged over his depression.

−10

Kabloosh75 t1_j9xc88s wrote

Democrats just need someone that will stick with the party line. They don't care who it is.

Oh. You mean this person will represent us and what our state wants? Ha! You still believe that shit?

Odd_Shirt_3556 t1_j9xmcd2 wrote

None of you are paying attention. If he resigns, it goes to Joanna McClinton. She and the Governor are good friends and you lock in SEPA, the largest region in Pennsylvania. Only way she doesn’t get it is if Shapiro wants it. Then he’s picking a placeholder until the general election. Hell he may require the person to pledge not to run if he’s going to be a candidate.

Yankiwi17273 t1_j9xon49 wrote

Hopefully someone like State Senator Kenyatta, but realistically it would probably be someone like Conor Lamb if the state Democratic party elite has their say.

[deleted] OP t1_j9xxqj0 wrote

I just know if a working class person person admits themselves in my area, they will be released within days even with struggles relating to suicide. I was told on multiple occasions that I would be released within 72 hours when I considered admitting myself in the past. They also do not consider intense levels of depression or anxiety worthy of admission unless there are active suicidal thoughts and plans. I reported suicidal ideation many times, and they never considered me a danger or in need of more care. Obviously, a senator will probably receive better care than someone living in a low income area.

AlVic40117560_ t1_j9y1pqz wrote

Definitely not Giselle. What qualifications does she have other than liberal dorks overhyping her? I voted for John his policies make him far and away the best person for the job. People like Giselle because she’s a supportive wife and mother. Not because she would make a great senator.

John isn’t going to resign either. He’s recovering from a stroke, not dying.

str8outtaconklin t1_j9y3lp1 wrote

Does she have any background on the issues or experience in legislating or law? Her husband has an extensive background which makes him qualified but she would need more than just being married to him to get any support IMO.

ChrissyLove13 t1_j9y5yaj wrote

So you voted for someone because it would create a sort of pattern? Do you think school kids would only learn about who each of the 4 were just because of said pattern? Not because they are um, US presidents?

darkbloo64 t1_j9y6d34 wrote

On top of that, nearly every piece of coverage I've seen on the matter has praised Fetterman for seeking treatment. He's a sitting senator that acknowledges the importance of mental health instead of hand-waving it away.

Practical_Fix_5350 t1_j9y73qf wrote

Brain shit in general. Concussions will do this too. I had a really bad concussion a few years ago that required hospitalization including jumbled words, super weird. In a couple months I was holding a knife to my throat yelling at my partner "I'll fucking do it, just the jugular. Five seconds and it's over!" I was in a full psych program that night.

The sheer sense of doom and depression after any kind of brain trauma can be uncontrollable and overwhelming and completely out of character for the sufferer. I can't believe that people want someone in politics to not do something about that.

ChrissyLove13 t1_j9y78te wrote

Thank you. This is the most accurate depiction regarding this situation that I've read on this sub.

On top of all that I can't imagine the pressure he is feeling. After his stroke everyone said oh he's fine he'll bounce back in no time. No need to focus on rehabilitation rather than a grueling campaign schedule. Now he's in the hospital for depression and everyone is saying oh he's fine he'll bounce back in no time. It is insanity and quite cruel. Let the man breathe and focus on his well being. Not on when he will be returning to Senate. Most importantly for the sake of his children.

−1

ChrissyLove13 t1_j9y956b wrote

You "think she supported him personally and professionally after his stroke"....ummm she's his wife of course she supported him? Maybe that support would have been more helpful had it been focused on his rehabilitation after his stroke.

So you think that she would make a great senator based on the following:

• she is a supportive wife
  • she knows about nutrition
  • people liked her thus she helped her husband get votes

Wow.

[deleted] OP t1_j9yari1 wrote

You are right. It is insane. Humanity has been lost in US politics, and if there was ever a neon billboard spelling it out, this is it.

The poor guy suffered a life-threatening and life changing health crisis. He had very little time to cope with the situation and process. He was very publicly mocked for his health situation, for needing accommodations, and for other things like he can not control like his looks. Now, his wife is being made out to be this heartless wench for helping their children cope. She has one loved one in crisis and is trying to protect the rest of the family.

Maybe he can continue his career with the right skills and support, but it shouldn't surprise anyone if he makes the decision to step away. I really hope he does. He and his family deserve peace.

worstatit t1_j9yepfo wrote

Governor appoints for up to two years, special election required after that. Giselle is an unlikely candidate for appointment. Shapiro would likely appoint a moderate Democrat with good prospects for eventual election.

transneptuneobj t1_j9yhass wrote

Imagine if my boss had my wife design structures for me while I'm in the hospital because she's genuinely a loving and caring and smart and funny person.

ktxhopem3276 t1_j9yphcc wrote

I don’t want to minimize the severity of his problem or any mental health issues but It feels disrespectful to start talking about his replacement. He’s not the first senator to have a stroke or other issues and take time off.

I had a major injury and was offered an inpatient intensive mental health treatment program. It’s a little different than checking yourself in for suicidal thoughts. It’s not as common because it’s expensive and hard to get insurance to pay

−1

billfriedman9987 t1_j9yqyln wrote

I'm kinda sick in my stomach with the idea that his wife, who pushed him to run despite suffering from a stroke, would supplant him and take over the office despite not being elected.

FiveNations54 t1_j9yu6lo wrote

He didn't have a background in legislating or law. He taught for a GED program. What was your point again? It's definitely not because she's a woman, right? That's not what you're implying, right? Because that is the only point you're making.

Critical_Band5649 t1_j9ywkap wrote

He has major coexisting medical problems that require their own medication. In all likelihood, they chose to do inpatient to monitor drug reactions either to antidepressants themselves or if they interact with something else he is taking.

Trout-Population t1_j9ywwo1 wrote

A widow's succession would not be a good idea here. John Fetterman is almost certainly not leaving the Senate, but if he does it would likely be Conor Lamb to replace him, as that's who the Democratic establishment wanted in the first place.

Odd-Seaworthiness330 t1_j9z6i7r wrote

Definitely not a wise pick. The truth is we need someone that has the time to do the job. Our voices need to be heard.

FaithlessnessCute204 t1_j9z6s5q wrote

One of these people spent over a decade as mayor and later lieutenant governor, the other was that persons spouse . If your heart surgeon breaks their hand you don’t get their spouse to do the job unless they are also a heart surgeon

str8outtaconklin t1_j9zduc5 wrote

Degree in finance, an MBA and a Masters in Public Policy from Harvard and then followed by many years of practical legislative experience as mayor Braddock and Lt Gov of the Commonwealth of PA…..oh yeah and he taught that GED program among a whole lot of other practical business and community economic revitalization efforts. Still don’t understand why people like to ignore the guy’s background.

Odd_Shirt_3556 t1_j9zgadh wrote

Whether you agree or not, Gov. Wolf became the face of PA Covid. He burned too much capital and goodwill. Not a chance of him getting enough support. Many small democrat business owners hate him. Moderate Republicans and small business owners won’t vote for him. I figured he knew that, so that’s why he had Lt. Gov. Fetterman run.

IamSauerKraut t1_j9zos7k wrote

This garbage again? Is this question going to be a weekly thing? Learn to cope, trumpkins.

−1

Sprinkles_Hopeful t1_j9zw2vx wrote

You're here today and you could be disabled or dead tomorrow when you pick someone for a position no one knows what's going to happen in the next 20 minutes Republicans replace all their dead people with more dead people so I have no issue here and I would like to see Josh Shapiro run as president one day

latenightsnack1 t1_ja02wpv wrote

You're essentially reducing these women to who they were married to, no matter their own achievements. I get you have good intentions but you really need to look at the responses and downvotes you're getting and re-evaluate how you approach these situations.

glenmalure t1_ja060mg wrote

If there are any senior PA democrats paying attention, I suspect that they will say nothing at this time.

Hazel1928 t1_ja07ty3 wrote

I don’t think you can say that I am reducing Clinton to who she was married to. She had achievements in her own right. She was a strong contender for the nomination in 2008, and went on to win the nomination in 2016.

Giselle Fetterman doesn’t have political experience, but from the time John Fetterman suffered the stroke, I believe she acted as his campaign manager and chief adviser. I know there was at least one time that they were walking together after an event and reporters were shouting questions. Since John Fetterman needs talk to text as an adaptation, he would not be able to answer when multiple questions are being shouted simultaneously. And it was her who said “we aren’t taking questions.” I guess she wouldn’t be the best pick at this time, but if she wanted to get into politics and she paid her dues by starting small, I think she could be successful.

Jkane007 t1_ja0e0al wrote

Hmmmm. You may feel that way. Other people in the state may feel that way. Every watcher of Faux “News” feels that way. But facts don’t bear it out. He left office with strong approval ratings, was the first governor in PA in decades to see his successor win, and plus his mitigation methods flat out saved lives. And also with your logic, it was his freaking Lt Gov who was right there with him with everyone of those mitigation methods that ultimately won the seat!!!!!! And mind you, Fetterman was also to the left of Wolff.

I also think you fail to realize there is only person that needs to make the choice- that’s Josh Shapiro.

But then again, I believe a “senator” wolf would most likely win PA particularly if the election was in 24 and coincided with a Biden win and if we was already seated in the senate. Plus Casey will be running too.

But underestimate him. People did that his whole career, me included until later in his first term. I for one am very glad and proud he was our governor during 2020 and not a tyrant like Ron deathsantis whose policies led to more people dying.

Hashtaglibertarian t1_ja0s3ki wrote

Keep fighting, friend ♥️

I’m a travel nurse all over the state. There are some areas that are extremely democratic. The rest.. it’s like going back in time.

Thankfully it’s the highly populated cities that are democratic- they helped swing us blue.

In general, I prefer democratic areas. They are more inclusive and I always have some great life experience in those places.

[deleted] OP t1_ja0wljr wrote

You are right. At the end of the day, he is human. All that matters is that he receives the care he needs and lives a life that makes him personally happy.

I think it is natural for people to wonder what comes next, however.

cuppa_tea_4_me t1_ja1kp5n wrote

I suppose this was the plan all along. I guess we need to add cognitive testing to requirements for public office.

cuppa_tea_4_me t1_ja1l24e wrote

yes - they should all be put out to pasture. they are not competent. and yet people still vote for them. You get what you deserve.

Feinstein’s memory is “rapidly deteriorating.” The 88-year-old lawmaker has, at times, seemed to have difficulty recognizing longtime colleagues, recalling conversations and complicated policy, and “can no longer fulfill her job duties without her staff doing much of the work required to represent the nearly 40 million people of California,”