Submitted by Anonymous_Otters t3_z4pxhc in Pennsylvania

The PennDOT website is a complete failure to me. I know it's possible to swap tags from one car to another, because there is a price for it in the service charge lost, but literally zero instructions on how to do it anywhere on the website and nobody answers the phone.

How do I go about doing this? I totaled a car, bought a new one, and want to transfer yhr registration. I have the old tags.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

dancingprotein t1_ixs55p2 wrote

For a new car when trading in, the dealership did it for me. But I’m not sure how it works

-Motor- t1_ixs5fbb wrote

They would normally do that as a part of the process of buying the new car. Didn't they bring that up when you transferred the title?

You can't do it yourself over the website. You'll have to go to a title service.

TigerPride95 t1_ixs5x9w wrote

I am glad you trust Reddit to give you the correct information. It’s there on the PADMV website if you just take the time and look it up.

−7

Bird_Brain4101112 t1_ixs7vz5 wrote

Look up your nearest title and tag place and off you go.

Anonymous_Otters OP t1_ixsaakr wrote

Guess you didn't take the time to actually read what I wrote. If you have nothing useful to contribute, kindly fuck off with your sarcasm.

Yeah downvote me for defending myself from an asshole. Do me a favor, you downvote this comment too so I can block your toxic useless ass and never have to interact with you again, and then you can fuck off too.

dippin20s t1_ixsc45s wrote

can you explain the situation? like you wrecked your car bought a new one and you went to transfer plate over to the new car you bought? you’d need to take the titles and registration for both and the old plate to a notary near you and they will be able to help

−1

Anonymous_Otters OP t1_ixse9s8 wrote

My car bottomed out and cracked the oil and transmission pans and misaligned the framing. Repairs were starting at 70% of the car's value, so it was totaled by the insurance company. They cut me a check. I had the weekend to secure a car before my rental ended. I wanted to pick up my old tags and go buy the car to do it at the same time, but the insurance co neglected to tell me they were closed on the weekend. I needed a car, so bought the car and it has a temporary registration. I want to transfer my old registration and tags to the new car since the registration is still good for another year+. I no longer have the old car's title as part of the insurance stuff was transferring them the title so they can scrap the car. I have a loan on the new car, so I do not have the title.

nowordsleft t1_ixsekra wrote

How did you buy a car without registering it at the time of purchase? Was it a private purchase and you just did a title transfer? If you take your plate and paperwork to a notary or title transfer place, they can do it. You can’t do it yourself on the web.

Anonymous_Otters OP t1_ixsew4q wrote

Bought it financed from a dealership. They set up temporary registration. I have no title because the car is financed. I know you can't do it yourself on the web ... if I could I wouldn't br asking how to do it. I also clearly stated that there is no information on thr PenDOT website.

TheBrianiac t1_ixsfidt wrote

The "DMV" in this state is semi-privatized. PennDOT does not accept applications or provide customer service for title transfers. This is all handled by private companies serving as Authorized Agents-Messengers.

x8675309 t1_ixsfx69 wrote

Yeah I think they call them “on-line agents” or some weird term on the website. They’ll get you sorted out. They may need some sort of fax of the title from the bank, but they’ll handle that.

x8675309 t1_ixsgnui wrote

The website is really confusing. (Not to mention, googling anything about any DMV leads you to scammy fake websites.) I just had to transfer a title for an out of state lease and even the title agent had no idea what to do. I’m not confident they filled out the right paperwork, but I got my plates so … whatever.

PA is decades behind other states when it comes to car/licensing/titling. I can’t believe how much work and research it took just to a) get a license in a state where I previously held a license and b) get a leased car registered here.

BurntOrange101 t1_ixsiqcu wrote

Only if you are local to Harrisburg can you get it done at Penndot (the Harrisburg location on front street) otherwise you need to go to an authorized agent like AAA or any other notary or tag place that does paperwork for penndot. The form you need is a controlled form that cannot be printed from the internet because it’s a 3 part carbon copy form.

BurntOrange101 t1_ixsiyxg wrote

lol lies…. I work at penndot, and roughly 50% of my job is title transfers for people who just moved here from out of state or just purchased from out of state…

Even when you go to an authorized agent to do your application, a large majority of the time it gets mailed to us in Harrisburg for processing, unless they are an online agent and can do it right there.

You can also walk into the Harrisburg location and get title transfers done at the counter.

It’s just that the only “PennDOT” location for motor vehicle is Harrisburg, the rest of the PennDOTs don’t do title transfers because they are drivers licensing centers.

BurntOrange101 t1_ixsjmt9 wrote

Heads up if it’s financed and the title is not in your name yet or you bought it out of state, you won’t be able to do it all in one day unfortunately. You have to get the title mailed to the notary or to Harrisburg, then they can transfer the tag.

Unless it’s already titled in your name in PA. If your bank holds a PA title in your name and you just need registration/to transfer your plate, you’re good to go and they can do it for you at an agency within a few minutes.

Yen-sama t1_ixskda8 wrote

Yes, as long as the new car is insured in PA, the title & tag shop will take care of everything.

Also note; you won't be switching the old plate to the new car. You'll turn the old plate in and receive a new plate.

kellzone t1_ixsngqu wrote

Such a stupid law. Plates should stay with the car, unless the person paid for custom plates.

BurntOrange101 t1_ixsnrdb wrote

Oh well Reddit is weird and the votes fluctuate I guess.

But yeah the website for penndot needs dumbed down. I say it everyday. It’s all over the place and too hard for most of the general public to understand or find things.

Even as an employee when I need a form that I don’t have saved already, 99% of the time I just google the form name and PA. So much easier than navigating that terrible website.

pa_bourbon t1_ixsu9gr wrote

Not true. You can transfer the old plate to the new car. There are certain ranges of plates that are being retired due to the peeling issue and Harrisburg won’t approves a transfer for those ranges. But if the old plate is not in those ranges, it can be transferred. It’s cheaper to transfer than get a brand new plate.

EZKTurbo t1_ixsym7h wrote

sounds like a waste of time.

INVUJerry t1_ixsz4cn wrote

Be much easier if I just had a plate registered to me, and when I bought a new car I go online and apply a new vin number to it. Vs having to jump through hoops hoping to find a private company that’s open to pay extra fees to.

BrainWav t1_ixszt3a wrote

I wish they'd just reissue a new plate. My mother just transferred hers to a new car, it's a 25-ish year old plate, from when they just swapped away from gold on blue. We asked about getting a new plate, and the tag place said we couldn't without de-registering it, and then getting a new one (which isn't guaranteed) as it's a vanity plate.

Wolfpak0ne t1_ixtbch9 wrote

Your first mistake was coming to redit for advise on this.

Anonymous_Otters OP t1_ixtdi82 wrote

I've already recently paid for a two year registration, it is possible to transfer that registration, so I'd rather do than than pay and go though a whole months long waiting process with trying to get new registration.

Wysguy_J t1_ixx0ya0 wrote

While PennDOT will publish the necessary forms to transfer titles/tags, they won't accept them if you just fill them out and mail them in. When my mother transferred the title of her car from my fathers name to hers, we mailed in the necessary forms (notarized and everything), because my father had passed away, there was no cost from the state involved, but they pretty much told us we had to go through an authorized tag agent, and their fee was about $100