Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

heeroguy t1_iynlcyr wrote

you are supposed too. but ......

heili t1_iyt4gyu wrote

The license plate collection bureau will not show up at your house or anything.

cpr4life8 t1_iyo03q7 wrote

You're supposed to but I don't know anyone who has. I currently have 2 motorcycle tags adorning my shed wall. Along with a few tags from FL that I never turned in. As far as I'm concerned they're paid for by me so I'm keeping them.

MarimBeth t1_iyokqo9 wrote

Well you know me now!!! I thought you didn't have to also but got a very strict talking to by the insurance company when I bought my new car.

cpr4life8 t1_iyopf5w wrote

I've never had that problem. I'd be getting a new insurance company if I had somebody lecturing me about something stupid like that.

Fevaprold t1_iyr7xj7 wrote

I sent mine back when I got a new car with a new plate. Why wouldn't you?

cpr4life8 t1_iyrb375 wrote

Why spend the money on a new plate when you can just transfer the existing one?

I mean, as a motorcycle rider I appreciate it because those fees fund the motorcycle safety courses, which allows PA residents to take them for free. But I don't see the point in spending money on something and then giving that something back.

Fevaprold t1_iyrsjf2 wrote

Pure incompetence on my part, that's why! After that I wised up and kept the old plate when I changed cars.

But that's not what this thread is about. It's about someone with a plate but no car to put it on.

cpr4life8 t1_iyrvhcq wrote

Understood. I paid for them so when that circumstance arises I don't return them. Like someone else here mentioned, it's trypically not enforced. If they were going to enforce it they would just send a letter saying that you needed to return the tag so then you return the tag.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_iynm3pw wrote

Googles “pennsylvania penalty not turning plate”

$300 penalty.

GoodKingMomo t1_iynsjzs wrote

Which to my knowledge and anecdotal evidence is never enforced.

BFreeFranklin t1_iyob4ys wrote

I have a few old license lates and zero fines to anecdotally support your hypothesis.

STLLC2019 t1_iyov8xn wrote

It is on commercial tags. I got a nasty-gram from PennDOT over the plate off my Kenworth after I got rid of the truck.

GoodKingMomo t1_iyox1rl wrote

Ah, that makes sense, I can see them tracking those tags.

STLLC2019 t1_iyoyg3q wrote

As far as I know, Harrisburg doesn't care about passenger vehicle tags. Just the commercial ones.

ScienceWasLove t1_iyodluf wrote

I have a dozen old plates. I have never been fined. They don't them. They have no value to anyone.

Pigtattoo t1_iyp0grs wrote

I’ve got 6 of my old plates downstairs. They don’t care.

Bannedaccointno_6366 t1_iyphyjc wrote

I never turned my old ones in.

I mean, how else am i gonna decorate my garage?

Pa plates and deer horns. Dont get much more pa, then that

dblock36 t1_iyqpn49 wrote

Do the antlers correspond to the license plate they were hit by?

Bannedaccointno_6366 t1_iyr99pl wrote

I snorted out loud when i read this.

Nah, never hit a deer........in pa at least.

Maryland otoh...

zorionek0 t1_iyqqdjd wrote

My thoughts exactly- every garage I went in as a kid had at least a handful on the wall.

Onthelinr t1_iyoih85 wrote

No just destroy it. Bend or whatever so it can’t be stolen and used

Onthelinr t1_iyp2qsa wrote

I worked for PennDot theres no direct you should return it or not. You should turn in your registration. But as for the plate you don’t have to. People collect plates and believe it or not it’s pretty common in our state. So they just want you to make it so it Can’t be usable. Scratching the numbers, bending.

-jacksmack- OP t1_iyqxf0u wrote

How do I turn in my registration? I assume I could walk into the DMV. But I’m in FL now. Do you know if I can call or just let my registration expire?

Critical_Band5649 t1_iyo7vv2 wrote

Yes!

I didn't because it was the first time I'd ever sold a car privately. People who bought my car put my plates on their other car apparently. I ended up getting a pile of citations for a car I've never owned in a town I've never lived. Luckily I was able to provide the paperwork showing it was my plate but it was on a car I sold to the people at the address of the citations. Codes guy was able to get rid of the hundreds of dollars in citations and made sure I contacted penndot to kill the plates in case they attempted to use them again.

the303reverse t1_iywn4dl wrote

I’m currently going through this exact situation and each time I provide the paperwork stating I sold my car back in February of this year they just say I am still responsible??

Even though the plate is on a completely different car

Any advice/tips ??

Critical_Band5649 t1_iywsdrp wrote

Cry? Lol, I mean it probably helped.

The title transfer company sent over the request to kill the plates, saying they were accidentally left on the car. The codes guy who ticketed the vehicle recognized the people who were using my plate as trouble for other reasons and believed my story.

Dunn_or_what t1_iyopwnb wrote

Keep the tag. If you sell the car, take the plate off or make darn sure that it has been taken out of your name when you transfer the title with the DMV

ImOldGettOffMyLawn t1_iypvqrf wrote

It is a very good idea to do so.

​

Unscrupulous folk will resell your old plates if you left them and a few years later you'll start getting notices about fines and penalties in places you've never driven in in your life.

Ask me how I know.

​

"Turn in" might be the law technically, but apparently it's not really enforced, so at least keep the plates. Just don't leave them on your vehicle, whether you're selling it drivable or selling to a junkyard after getting totaled.

colormeslowly t1_iyom7vy wrote

If you want to:

return to dmv

the only risk is someone getting ahold of it and using it for illegal reasons.

Hope this helps.

[deleted] t1_iyp2eq8 wrote

Important to destroy it. You don’t want it lost or stolen and used on another car.

Andy-87 t1_iyp8937 wrote

I have all my PA plates in my garage. Maryland fined me for not returning there’s. Fuck Maryland, but PA don’t care

worstatit t1_iyqskgp wrote

In your case, I'd just destroy the plate. Cut or break it up.

Hugsie924 t1_iyqx2wp wrote

I wonder this too. I had put in an envelope and then realized they want to have me PAY to turn in....what the he'll is that sh%t?

I just let it go.

basement-thug t1_iysqcdi wrote

My kid enjoys collecting the old plates from states we have lived in.

ronreadingpa t1_iywubqn wrote

Long as you're sure the new owner registered the car, then you're likely fine. Most often the issue arises when one leaves their old plate on. Fortunately, you took it off, which substantially reduces the risk.

Personally, I'd suggest mailing it back in a USPS Priority envelope. That way you have tracking. Then sometime afterwards PennDOT will mail a letter indicating the registration has been cancelled. Vast majority of people don't do this and have no problems, but for several dollars, it's worth the peace of mind.