Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

beauford3641 t1_iycdlsa wrote

Coffee Exchange on Wickenden Street in Providence is tremendous.

zebrawithflowers t1_iycd3cz wrote

Too fah by RI standards, but I'm a fan of New Harvest and Borealis. Bolt is very good, too.

Double_Farmer_2662 t1_iyd4um3 wrote

Loveeee New Harvest!! Urban Greens grocery store in providence has New Harvest in the bulk area, so you can always fill up small bags with just a little of the different roasts so you can try them before you buy a regular sized bag.

Have bought beans from Borealis, but the coffee is always very ‘dark’ tasting. They are great because if you buy a whole bean bag, they will grind it for you specific to which coffee brewing method you use!

I’m trying to put together a coffee advent calendar with 12 different flavors, it will include 2 roasts from 6 different roasters in the state!

sailri t1_iyd6xtb wrote

I have to defend Borealis here.

One of the Godfathers of coffee is George Howell, who sold his Boston Coffee Connection to Starbucks in early 90s. He has constantly talked about the trend to over roasted coffees, regardless of the bean’s origin. The caramel roasted taste overcomes the coffee’s brightness. You can get George’s beans at Seven Stars Bakery sites.

I appreciate Borealis for not over roasting as well as for their single source beans from individual coffee estates, but they also have their consistent go to house blends.

Trust me most are medium or lighter roast. In Bristol and Riverside.

Substantial_Eye_575 t1_iybplvl wrote

Dave’s roasters. They deliver. We order a 5 lb bag on subscription every 3 months. It’s good all the way through.

JustShawnML t1_iydqn2e wrote

Bolt coffee. You can order beans online if you don’t want to drive to the city.

Tisathrowaway837 t1_iydrvzk wrote

Bolt was my goto but recently switched to New Harvest due to lower price. Would highly recommend both.

Mantunes73 t1_iydyeke wrote

TLC Coffee Roasters in West Kingston has a great selection of beans that are roasted on-site. Their food is also Excellent!

beerspeaks t1_iyezica wrote

TLC might have the best chocolate chip cookie in the state too.

SDVNova t1_iydn7jt wrote

Thanks for this post. Would be cool to see if there are coffee tastings here in RI. I love coffee and looking for the right one as well. Love a strong coffee with bold flavor

scottder OP t1_iydo458 wrote

Me too, though I may explore some lighter roasts. To see what its like on that side of the roast. I generally brew at home with an Aeropress.

BigLoveFromAbove t1_iydnksi wrote

North Koffee in NK on post Rd. Roasted on site in small batches. Freshest around. Never sits on a grocery store shelf. Great amount of variety to find something you like. Highly recommend.

BrandonC41 t1_iyee5ck wrote

Mills coffee in Providence

Loveroffinerthings t1_iyf3z66 wrote

It might not be as fresh as someone roasting it here, but I buy my beans roasted directly from a grower in Colombia. They harvest, dry, roast and package it in a tiny hacienda in the hills of Antioquia. I’d even send you a small amount if you want, it’s truly a great expression of the terroir in Colombia, and it works out to be $12/#.

scottder OP t1_iyf43pw wrote

Well now I am curious how makes something like that happen.

Loveroffinerthings t1_iyfcefx wrote

I can meet up w you, or send some in the mail. It’s from a place called Cafe de La Cima, I buy 10-1# packs, they roast it perfectly for the bean.

oakcatpine t1_iyf95s5 wrote

The coffee guy delivers and I like his roasts.