Submitted by jeanclaudevandamnnnn t3_zv66ka in RhodeIsland

I've heard that Pawtucket is the next place place to live now outside of Providence. Can anyone confirm?

I'm a long time Rhode Islander and am finally looking to get out of renting and want to buy either an apartment/loft or a multi family. Providence is expensive! Is Pawtucket turning the corner and would it be a smart place to buy?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Jerkeyjoe t1_j1ndbde wrote

I'd say, kinda ya. In some of the nicer parts of town homes are pretty competitive. Plus I feel the loft style places are definitely the hot commodity right now. For people looking for good transportation or walk ability I'd say it's ok, but some places are pretty dodgey to be walking around to be honest. One such area I feel will likely turn around soon is near the new mbta station opening late January. It will be a 6 min ride to downtown Providence for $2.75. lots of loft places nearby and probably more to come

blklab16 t1_j1nh1q5 wrote

Probably depends on which part of Pawtucket. If it’s the end of Blackstone blvd, the part that borders Rumford, or the part that borders north Seekonk by Slater Park then id assume yes but idk about the middle parts.

RandomChurn t1_j1nhs74 wrote

Oak Hill is awesome 😍

jeanclaudevandamnnnn OP t1_j1nqi6j wrote

thanks! ill check it out

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1p4dx5 wrote

Just be aware that Oak Hill is pricey-- like East side on slight sale. You probably wouldn't be looking into a multifamily for less than 700k.

Pawtucket across from the interstate probably has some better deals to be had.

Status_Silver_5114 t1_j1r5pd8 wrote

Oak hill was the up and coming cheap spot 15+ years ago when everyone got priced out of east side and the prices match. It’s lovely but no longer cheap.

hotpenguinlust t1_j1nn0e4 wrote

I think the place that I've heard alot of folks moving to was Riverside.

Dances_With_Cheese t1_j1o3mpa wrote

Riverside has a lot to offer if you’re starting a family (IMO). And the demographic of senior citizens in single family homes is currently very high so there will be a lot of homes coming up for sale there in the next few years.

easynslutty t1_j1ohg0o wrote

I just moved to Riverside from out of state. I love that I can walk two seconds from my front door and have several restaurants, a bakery and a recreational area. However, there's not much of a "nightlife" and there's LOTS of older folks. For example, I have an elderly woman on one side of my townhome and an elderly couple on the other side. Another gripe is the grocery store there (Shaw's) is kinda crappy. I drive to the Stop n Shop in Seekonk for my groceries. This is just my two cents though!

Express_Ad_8020 t1_j1ou8l3 wrote

I love the Shaws in Riverside- Willet Ave.!

easynslutty t1_j1ouyc2 wrote

The layout is just so bizarre to me and feels very claustrophobic. Like the eggs are on an end cap... What is that?!

Express_Ad_8020 t1_j1pwpzz wrote

I suppose I’m just used to it. I know where everything is. They did a remodel a few years back and the rows are closer together- so feelin the claustrophobia comment. The staff are super friendly and helpful and it’s been mostly the same group for as long as I can remember. Feels like a neighborhood grocery store. I like that.

breakinghbts t1_j1qwz9p wrote

I only go to that shaws usually for sale items or quick needs, that I dont feel like driving to stop and shop in EP for. I will say, you are spot on at the same workers. I dont know them, but i know their faces and some of them have been there since i was a kid. (Im 38 now). Also, so much cleaner since the remodel!

Noofthab t1_j1qykpx wrote

Me too! Everything I need and just the right size to get in and out in short time.

summerchilde t1_j1oxsz7 wrote

My SO and I call this one Shitty Shaws. It’s a little nicer now after the remodel at least.

josiah_mac t1_j1rifce wrote

Yea we drive down to the market basket in Attleboro, I feel the meat and general prices are heater than shaws. Good news is from most of pawtucket you can drive to the wholefoods and the new trader joes fairly quickly if you need more options

Ok-Technician-2905 t1_j1uigzq wrote

Is there something wrong with elderly neighbors? Mine are nice folks and I enjoy their company.

easynslutty t1_j1zgmz1 wrote

No but someone was suggesting Riverside is up and coming and a larger elderly population doesn't exactly scream that.

OatsMcGoat t1_j1nx2pz wrote

I live in Fairlawn, south of Mineral Springs. We bought our first house over here after living on the East Side of PVD for 8 years. This spot has been nice. I like my neighbors, there’s a good sense of community, and it’s pretty walkable. Is it the East Side? No, but it’s been perfectly nice for us. Oak Hill and Darlington just north of Rumford are known to be nice, too.

Major_Fang t1_j1o1gai wrote

It’s called the bucket for a reason

listen_youse t1_j1o4elo wrote

Tap water tastes terrible in Pawtucket

KennyWuKanYuen t1_j1oy98n wrote

This.

Hasn’t changed since 2006 when I first tried it there. They ought to do something about it.

burgritto_22 t1_j1qey6e wrote

Pawtucket has been "up and coming" for a long time. Lived there for about 3 years before relocating to Cranston for job reasons. I have a huge heart for Pawtucket. Like any larger "city" (quotation marks because, RI) there are good parts and bad parts. Oak Hill is basically the East side whereas other areas are still solidly blue collar/middle class. I lived near downtown and never felt unsafe. Pawtucket has a great brewery and burgeoning art scene and a lot of the mill complexes and downtown building are being utilized in fantastic ways (Guild Brewery, Lorraine Mills, Hope Artiste Village, Still On Main). Plus, the Boston/Providence train station will finally be open this January!

My biggest gripe about Pawtucket would be walkability. The downtown still has work to do in terms of attracting both businesses and patrons. There are otherwise pockets of cool things to do and see throughout the town, but they're hard to access without a car unless you live directly in that area. For example, I lived close to downtown Pawtucket so I walked through the Slater Mill National Park quite a bit, but then hopped in my car to go anywhere else. Because although the walk mile-wise wasn't awful to some of the amenities I listed previously, the streets you'd take to get there were busy/crowded with poor accessibility for pedestrians (the walk from the area by Tolman school to Quality Hill is downright treacherous given the students population that traverses through that area daily).

As others have stated, schools are a consideration if you're planning to have a family and send them to public schools. But regardless, I personally love "the bucket". No, it's not the sleek east side of Providence (aside from Oak Hill, perhaps). But if that's what you're looking for, the majority of Pawtucket probably isn't for you. I think it gets a worse rap than it deserves.

Pvdsuccess t1_j1nwi5m wrote

I'd say yes depending on where in it. Oak Hill, Quality Hill, Darlington, near Rumford. If you have or thinking of having kids, that's the game changer. You really want to look elsewhere.

neon_daydreams t1_j1nstr6 wrote

Eh I moved to pawtucket from PVD in 2020 and can’t wait to get out. Unfortunately I can’t afford to move right now but I have none of the amenities or walkability that living in PVD offered. Like my loft is nice enough and affordable but I hate leaving my building and it’s not at all enjoyable to go on runs in the area

fuckyeahcaricci t1_j1ogs9f wrote

Oak Hill is, for sure. They should call it "I can't believe it's not the East Side".

therealDrA t1_j1nj7qb wrote

Maybe with the commuter rail station. Otherwise I think Cranston is the better bet. Parts of East Cranston are progressive and really nice neighborhoods.

jeanclaudevandamnnnn OP t1_j1nqjst wrote

something in me just doesn't want to move to cranston

therealDrA t1_j1o1hmw wrote

Well the east side is progressive...it is the west side that is Fung country.

mtnstoseaside t1_j1o9ss5 wrote

We just moved to West Cranston- planning to outnumber them! Please join us! Our neighborhood is very cute otherwise.

HighPlainsDrifting t1_j1oa5dm wrote

No, dont move to icky Western Cranston Fung country where its beautiful, big yards, great people, low crime, clean streets. Move to Pawtucket where you'll step over syringes and get shanked by a crackhead. Its nice and progressive!

−8

Mutabilitie t1_j1np595 wrote

The transit plan includes the idea of light rail connecting Warwick through to Pawtucket within the next 20 years. Does that mean it will actually happen? Of course not. Nothing is guaranteed. It requires political will, funding, competence, etc. But that's where the will exists to invest in transit.

Emmafabb t1_j1oamhm wrote

The Pawt/CF train station opens next month

iandavid t1_j1opn7u wrote

It is, but trains from that station will only run once an hour in each direction. To be useful, local transit needs to run every 10-15 minutes.

March_Latter t1_j1nxm6f wrote

Pawtucket as a whole, no way. Certain sections? Maybe....I wouldn't live there but to each their own.

us1087 t1_j1ny5xi wrote

The Bucket? Who would have guessed?

Icy-Memory-5575 t1_j1o8on6 wrote

A lot of construction happening on that side plus the train station. I’d say so

radioflea t1_j1os80g wrote

I believe so, upcoming MBTA stop, new high school, nearby condo developments, “soccer field”.

FlashbackBob t1_j1qbrlr wrote

My dad delivered mail in the Darlington section of Pawtucket for years. He always spoke well of that area. He brought home lots of Xmas presents every year from the folks he delivered mail to. Lots of single family homes there. Worth looking into.

401jamin t1_j1nn3xs wrote

If you can get near rumford on the east providence side, or near black stone blvd on the providence side then yeah your good.

tiredofthisalready t1_j1odkfa wrote

We bought our house in Pawtucket this past summer. It appraised $20k over the asking price (which was actually a bit high for the market) and the appraiser put a whole section in their notes about Pawtucket being an up and coming neighborhood and that property values will grow. Providence is getting more and more expensive but the exodus from Massachusetts is still happening. Many can't do the commute from Cranston or other affordable areas so they're buying in Pawtucket.

jeanclaudevandamnnnn OP t1_j1ognc7 wrote

thanks! this is what i was looking for. ideally i’d like to buy a multi family in providence using a first time home buyer loan. but the prices just keep rising. what neighborhood are you in? is it walkable?

Queen_Axeline t1_j1p3r9b wrote

Please don't do that right now. The prices are astronomical and you will have no choice but to evict the current families who live there or double their rent to support your inflated mortgage (thus forcing them out). Most multifamily renters are FAMILIES. The cost of renting a 3 bedroom in Providence has gone from roughly $1200 to roughly $2400 in less than a decade and I assure you most of our salaries did not double. Furthermore these houses are all about 100 years old, loaded with lead and asbestos and need a ton of work. Whatever price you're looking at...add 80K.

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1qyokv wrote

Such important points (though, of not OP someone else will still jump at the inflated price). I saw the same multifamily switch hands 3x in under a year (1 flip, the second buyers did nothing but raise the price 100k and relist in a few months).

jeanclaudevandamnnnn OP t1_j1r0pmn wrote

exactly. someone’s going to do it either way. might as well be me. im not an evil billionaire slumlord looking to take over pawtucket with my shitty, overpriced, falling apart rentals. im really just looking for a spot to call my own.

as for the termites/lead/asbestos, im sure that is a big problem but if i am using a FHA loan hopefully the rigorous inspections will help to eliminate some of that.

OutlandishnessNo7283 t1_j1q06ga wrote

Why buy a multi family? I’ve noticed a lot of people have this false idea that it’s easy passive income and they can basically buy a house w/o paying for a mortgage. This is not true, it’s a toonnnn of work, you’ll have shitty tenants complaining all the time (at all hours), and you’ll also have wonderful tenants who cannot afford the rising rent and you will be faced with the decision to evict them. Not to mention upkeep and repair costs. Why would you ever want to be in this position?

tiredofthisalready t1_j1ohhga wrote

We are in Woodlawn. An easy commute into Boston was important for us so we tried to get close to the 95. But we're walkable to some great restaurants like Rasoi as well as Lippit Memorial Park. I like board games so I was really excited to be within walking distance to Untapped Games. It's also a super short drive to a lot of other great places.

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1qxeea wrote

Hey OP, I see you're mentioning FHA. I would speak with an agent about your hope to use FHA and for a multifamily. FHA is a great program, but it seems like it is extremely hard to use since the pandemic (according to some friends in real estate). The competition is still there, so your offer will be much tougher of a sell against offers with 20% down. From my understanding, the multifamily market is still competitive since rents are astronomical here. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but you might want to evaluate your options.

Also, I'd do some research into FHA (if you haven't already). For example, I have friends who did a multifamily on FHA pre pandemic and this impacted their ability to refinance for a lower rate or move when their family got bigger because it was under 5 years. They're doing well, but it does have some conditions.

ForTheLoveOfAudio t1_j1sgxoa wrote

Interestingly, we opted to do a conventional loan, in spite of our eligibility. We believe this saved us when we had our home inspection, because our inspector had found knob-and-tube wiring. From what I understand, people going for a FHA loan can't even bid on a house with knob-and-tube until it's been abated.

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1tdr0i wrote

Unfortunately, many of the best FHA options (most likely to choose FHA) are probably the least able to qualify for the conditions of the loans. I assume the less problematic properties are still going to the stronger offers. I have friends who had similar challenges with VA loans in 2020, though, I think it's great both programs try to avoid financing possible money pits.

jeanclaudevandamnnnn OP t1_j1r01ox wrote

thanks. i am starting the research process now and plan on talking to someone by summer. i have heard that is it not easy to compete with cash offers/ bigger down payments. hopefully there is something out there for me!

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1ra7dk wrote

I would encourage you to talk to someone sooner (and be honest about your intentions of just browsing at this point). For example, if FHA is a non-starter you'll want to know as soon as possible because you will need to be saving for a better down payment. Realtors who know the area closely should be able to give you an idea of where you'd have the best shot of FHA for your desired size and budget (or if its even a possibility).

Maybe reach out to Rhode Island HUD as I think they offer free counseling on this kind of thing.

imuniqueaf t1_j1pbx2r wrote

Call me when it gets here.

netwirk t1_j1qe8so wrote

People have been living there for years.

lateroundpick t1_j1nkqig wrote

If u want to be close to the downtown Pawtucket is the way to go. Location never changes.

mereih t1_j1omji9 wrote

Ehhh be careful, depends on the area. Definitely not a great school system if you’re thinking about starting a family, btw.

xanderg102301 t1_j1onlel wrote

Nope, still mostly abandoned. The state is trying tho

Orangefan71 t1_j1qrp94 wrote

If you are looking to get out of Providence itself, pretty much anywhere around is a better option than the Bucket. East Providence, North Providence, Johnston, Cranston, Warwick, you name it. That's the honest truth. Unless you can find a helluv a bargain...

eightbitbrain t1_j1rf8xw wrote

Pawtucket has been upcoming for 20 years or more now.

PauseAccording20 t1_j27gfpx wrote

I live in Pawtucket and have for almost 3 years now, near slater park, my catalytic converter got stolen the first year here. I was side swiped on Newport Ave and they ran (luckily no damage to me but I was shaken up) and we have sketchy characters up and down our street so it’s like living in providence tbh

nostragram t1_j1p2eyh wrote

Central Falls. Once the train station is complete it’s taking off.

−1

AceConspirator t1_j1pz8z0 wrote

Pawtucket is a shithole. It’s basically the Fitchburg of Rhode Island.

−1

Hobo_Tactical t1_j1r3otx wrote

No. The Puerto Ricans and criminals are long entrenched

−2

josiah_mac t1_j1rjd7j wrote

Wow. Thanks for letting everyone know to disregard any of your shitty options, appreciate it bud

Hobo_Tactical t1_j1rjp1o wrote

I don’t really give a F what you think… anyone in the Providence area knows exactly what I mean. As a Latino I’m ashamed of what we show the rest of state…. Dirtbikes, fentanyl and trash

−1

BingBong022 t1_j1nejwt wrote

I think Providence is cheap, Pawtucket is a shithole

−3

BigE1263 t1_j1nlztx wrote

I’d argue CF is worse but that varies based on your opinion.

kaffee_ist_gut t1_j1nms31 wrote

I recently moved to CF from Pawtucket, and shocker, CF has better neighborhood amenities than most of Pawtucket. The walk buttons at the crosswalks work. There are little dog poop cans scattered around (and they're stocked with bags in case you run out/forgot to bring one). It's still CF, pop density is still insane, but it's a decent alternative now that rents are skyrocketing in even the shittiest parts of Pawtucket.