Submitted by Trailmagic t3_10mswom in baltimore

I have been sick and putting off addressing this but I need advice on how to properly document my heating issues and what demands are reasonable to make.

I. Have had to leave my heat off almost all season because it’s too expensive and doesn’t work anyway. If it drops below 20 I have to stay somewhere else. I live with a hoodie and ski jacket on.

My nuclear option is calling code enforcement and this building will definitely fail. I don’t want to get the building condemned and impactful the people in other units.

I am hoping management knows this and make major concessions in hopes I go away quietly. They rented me a unit that does not meet the minimum requirements for habitability.

Interested in requesting consultation from

• nonprofits
  • city, state, federal agencies
  • law firms
  • anything else

Any suggestions?

Working on a more detailed draft for /r/legaladvice but just worked multiple 12-16 hour days and am burnt out

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

greemmako t1_j654jqc wrote

start the formal court rent escrow process so all your rent starts going into the court rent escrow system, and your landlord won’t be able to get paid until they address the issues

needleinacamelseye t1_j655awz wrote

Carol Ott at the Fair Housing Action Center of MD is a good resource for navigating landlord-tenant disputes from the tenant's point of view. Go here and fill out the form.

Trailmagic OP t1_j6577uo wrote

Thank you. Are you aware of any agencies besides the Baltimore Housing Authority who can also give me advice?

My ideal outcome is cash-for-keys after making demands so I can GTFO. I will still freeze while the courts do their thing.

This place is an old rowhome with lofted ceilings and 8’ windows. It would take an enormous investment to fix the insulation and replace the central heat with something capable. I don’t think they can or will based on how cheap they’ve been with minor repairs.

I am hoping that they do the math and see that paying me out is cheaper than repairs and collecting zero rent until that’s done will compound their losses and potentially stop them from renting at all if it’s too expensive to renovate up to code. Also, code enforcement might find other stuff while they were here. If I were them I’d be very worried about forcing me to get the city involved.

With enough knowledge and the right documentation I can send a demand letter over their breach of contract that is informed enough for them to just eat the loss since it’s clear I’m not dumb and am aware of the code enforcement call being required if they are difficult.

If that fails I will do the code and court stuff but my existence here sucks and I want more than just rent put in escrow. I paid for an apartment and this does not meet the legal requirements to be one. I called BGE and this is not new so they were likely aware when renting it.

Unfair-Rip9168 t1_j65dejp wrote

Just move out. If you can’t afford to live somewhere else then just deal with the situation until spring. Nobody is going to help you quickly, sorry

−11

Karmachanix t1_j65wi55 wrote

There are Legal Aid/Public Justice Center attorneys on the third floor of the District Court at 501 E Fayette Street who could probably help you run through your options. This is where Rent Court is, and they are there every day.

okdiluted t1_j666qm2 wrote

i'd advise against this because if they're negligent/unwilling to keep a building up to code they're definitely going to drag their feet and cut corners about wood stove maintenance (and installation!). offering them an "easy" way out that has a high risk profile solely for the tenant if done wrong is basically asking a landlord to do the worst job they can for the least amount of money and put your own life in as much danger as possible. i know wood stoves are generally very safe and efficient when installed and maintained well, it's just the "installed and maintained" part that seems to be the uphill battle here. pull code on these slumlords and bleed 'em dry, they deserve every headache you can give them.

ElectricStar87 t1_j66e8gq wrote

Wait I’m confused. Have you not already mentioned this to the landlord/management?

ayhme t1_j68bysb wrote

I have a similar issue. Thanks for bringing this up.

Trailmagic OP t1_j6fqzgp wrote

Federal case? Elaborate please.

Baltimore City housing authority and/or Code Enforcement for the city or state is my first stop. Well, second actually. My first stop is gathering enough information to demand that I break my lease plenty-free with a 30 day notice, plus reduced rent + subsidized utilities moving forward, plus reimbursement for the rent I paid + utilities for a habitable dwelling which they failed to deliver. Plus moving costs.

That’s what I want. I am willing to negotiate so I am not being shy about what I think I’m owed, and am prepared to compromise on the last two.

I want to make an unassailable and informed demand that cues them in to the fact that I will call the city and possibly sue them in civil court for breach of contract after code enforcement finds that this place doesn’t meet minimum requirements for habitability… which will result in the unit being un-rentable until the necessary (and very expensive) renovations to meet code and get the city off their back - all the while, losing income since they can’t rent it out. If my heater is the only violation the city finds, I’d be surprised.

The implication is that it’s cheaper to pay me to go away quietly than deal with this, and I want to make a carefully written and well researched demand so they realize I the implication of my plan B if they don’t immediately settle could be very bad for them.

I will survive here and let the city do their investigation and make a civil case if I have to. But you are out of your mind if you think I will pay penalties to break a lease they already broke by giving me an apartment I have had to leave because even with the heater on, it’s too cold to live in.

Is your suggestion that I sacrifice my security deposit and eat the costs to move as well as $750 a month to keep it at 60F here until I find a new place?

Unfair-Rip9168 t1_j6jtzvl wrote

TLDR, just move out. No reason you can’t get your security deposit back. Not saying to pay for something that isn’t worth it. I’m saying that you get what you pay for. If you want a better place then move out.

Trailmagic OP t1_j6l40nj wrote

They have my money, and a signed contract that they get to keep it if I just leave abruptly. I need to prove the just cause and/or convince them. That’s the whole point of this post. Finding resources and information to make that happen, and more if possible. If you ask a LL to leave mid-lease and have your security deposit back they will say no unless you have a good reason and the knowledge to make it very convincing. I also think I am owed more than that but don’t feel like explaining why a third time.