Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Wacky_Water_Weasel t1_je2u1i6 wrote

People are going to hate, but Market Basket deli counter has an incredible Steak Bomb.

Edit - I realized shortly after posting that OP asked for a cheesecake, but my brain read cheesesteak. I'm leaving this up in support of the MB Steak Bomb.

phonesmahones t1_je30q3n wrote

That is hilarious. And yes, their steak and cheese is good. I am under the impression that a cheesesteak has cheez wiz on it with or instead of actual cheese, though.

Wacky_Water_Weasel t1_je31a05 wrote

I always thought that was specific to Philadelphia. Up here, and frankly most places I've ever had one, it's been shaved steak with american cheese in every cheese steak.

A Steak Bomb is the same thing, but you've added grilled peppers, onions, mushrooms, and then pepperoni and/or salami (but it should be both unless you're an enemy of democracy).

Hot_Salamander3795 OP t1_je32n95 wrote

This sounds delightful - with cheesecake for dessert, perhaps?

Wacky_Water_Weasel t1_je33j77 wrote

That would pair so God damned well. Salty, briney, savory steak bomb washed back with a sweet, silky cheesecake. You just made you're dinner plans my friend.

phonesmahones t1_je3313r wrote

Shaved steak with American cheese is a steak and cheese. Add the cheez wiz, and you have a cheesesteak.

−8

LibertineDeSade t1_je33x2y wrote

Please, for the love of the Liberty Bell, don't put cheese whiz on your steak sammiches.

OakenGreen t1_je4m2by wrote

It’s fuckin delicious. I don’t even care. Lived in Philly for a bit and that’s their weird local variant. Had to give it a shot.

LibertineDeSade t1_je60obh wrote

I was born and raised in Philly, actually grew up a few blocks from Pats and Genos. I promise you, it's the tourist variant. LMAO. I try to warn people, I try so hard. But if it makes you happy, I support it... reluctantly.

OakenGreen t1_je60yb6 wrote

Hey I lived there for a year. Had to try it once. Usually I got American but I gotta try everything. I actually probably didn’t live too far from you. I rented a second floor apartment on the 100 block of market street.

LibertineDeSade t1_je6t76q wrote

Ah, you were in Old City. I was the other way, growing up on the other side of Broad Street. I did live down 4th and South for a couple years as an adult though, so not too far from there. You were definitely in the "not from here" area. LOL But it's cool though Old City is a great area, especially for going out. Shame we never met though, I could have taken you to a papi store to get a real good, greasy cheeseteak for less that $10.

OakenGreen t1_je6x5gh wrote

I made a few local friends that took me to some nice areas but yeah I was just moving through and the rent was ridiculously cheap there. It got me through an interesting time in my life, and i lived right next to my work. But yeah I was definitely in the tourist zone.

LibertineDeSade t1_je7xo53 wrote

Ah cheap rent... those were the days. I'm in the process of permanently moving to NY and it is wild how close the rents are coming these days. Anyway, it's good you got to see some place around. It's a fun city.

lucascorso21 t1_je36ald wrote

Not true, doesn't matter the cheese type. My old order was american, wit (referring to onions), and roasted peppers. Born and lived in Philly for 20+ years.

_some_white_guy t1_je5rckw wrote

Never heard a Philadelphian get roasted peppers on their steak.

lucascorso21 t1_je5somi wrote

<shrug> its on every menu so not sure why.

People tend to focus on the pure order, which is just gatekeeping BS. A lot of places have interesting variations. One of the best new(ish) places has a "truffle wiz" which is supposedly incredible.

schmendimini t1_je34dpr wrote

I read the same thing. I was about to comment Philly before I read your reply

nebrija t1_je3wusw wrote

I mean cheesteak cheesecake? I'd give it a college try

bootlamp t1_je4ki9b wrote

also, DO NOT sleep on the "buffalo chicken bites" they put out in the warming thing with the rotisserie chickens. I repeat. DO NOT SLEEP ON THE BUFFALO BITES.

the_frank_rizzo t1_je4qks6 wrote

“Hey Fez, we have any cheesesteak back there? I’m starving…”

scootzbeast t1_je67iwd wrote

Also there are no Market Baskets in Boston. The closest is Chelsea and Somerville

sderby t1_je2lqex wrote

Wow, I would have said 7ate9 bakery but they closed two days ago. :\

https://www.7ate9bakery.com/

Now I have the same question.

me_bot t1_je33h3p wrote

This is where I got my birthday cake last year and it was TERRIFIC. Very sad they closed.

Beautiful_Fennel_434 t1_je3cws4 wrote

I'm so sad they closed :( . I went this past Saturday to get a couple of their cheesecakes one last time, huge crowd there - now I'm looking at this thread to see about other places to get cheesecake but it just won't be the same.

spaceflower890 t1_je2xbi5 wrote

Okay hear me out - Wegmans cheesecake is incredible and I find myself comparing other cheesecakes to theirs

Ok_District2853 t1_je50u5z wrote

I want to shop there, but the treats are too powerful. Just the regular chocolate chip cookies are outstanding. The cheese cakes, the regular cakes, good god the 5 layer cakes and strawberry short cakes. I can't shop next to crack. Who could buy apples after that? You'd have to be a navy seal to walk past all that and buy lettuce. C'mon.

nollielazer t1_je53ozz wrote

I’m a transplant from upstate NY- and I will die on the Wegmans hill- most of their products are incredible

downrightfierce51 t1_je5lg4e wrote

The dessert game at Wegmans has set the bar so high for grocery store desserts. I once grabbed one of the last remaining cake slices of the night not expecting much and it was incredible

Lisitska t1_je35t56 wrote

Ricotta pie, Modern Pastry, North End.

notswasson t1_je3dgsw wrote

Does theirs have the little chocolate chips in it? A friend of a friend of a friend brought a ricotta pie to a party once and it was stupendous, but I never did find out where they got it and I've been chasing that ricotta pie dragon ever since...

My-Left-Plate t1_je3e102 wrote

Sweaty and rubbery. Not great.

satan_sloth t1_je3ky1q wrote

Not a chance! I’ve had this pie every Christmas for the past 15 years. It’s perfection every time.

renuisancewoman t1_je2w21k wrote

Tatte has single-serve cups with crust and fruit on top. So good!

Thatguyyoupassby t1_je373qj wrote

Yeah, this is up there for sure.

I will hate on Tatte for some things as much as the next person (like mediocre sandwiches for $16), but their pastries are superb.

Their passion fruit Krembo is a top-3 dessert in Boston for me.

gunfrees t1_je3iufv wrote

3 little figs in somerville has an amazing sandwich called “the market”

Haptiix t1_je3wisq wrote

Best sandwich I’ve had in greater Boston has got to go to the Concord Cheese Shop. Great shop run by great people & the deli counter serves fucking unbelievable sandwiches. The one with Turkey & Avocado is next level

masterofcreases t1_je3a15j wrote

Tatte cheesecake is a top contender. It sucks that it’s a small cup and kinda pricey for the amount.

chronicallyill_dr t1_je8myrw wrote

Came here to say this. I always get it for my birthday, it’s the best cheesecake ever!

RhaenyrasUncle t1_je2k6r5 wrote

You order a Juniors Cheesecake online.

sadiesatellite t1_je3617u wrote

You can get juniors at stop and shop!

Jexsica t1_je89ron wrote

Also whole foods but I tasted a little like how petroleum would taste

bobrob48 t1_je6ikh2 wrote

Pretty sure whole foods carries them too, though idk if it's always or just sometimes

irish786 t1_je3hlwc wrote

Raspberry swirl cheesecake at Flour cafe

RentADream t1_je4mtin wrote

This is the one. They don’t always have it, but when they do nothing else comes close

jujubee516 t1_je3grmm wrote

I enjoy cheesecake factory (for reals)

juniorone t1_je4wovv wrote

They are great and have tons of options. My favorite is the raspberry lime cheesecake. Just keep in mind that a slice is probably half of your daily calorie intake. Worth it though.

PArsenal82 t1_je4ymzp wrote

Well said! The only real answer. Everyone knows it, no one admits it.

oliviajoon t1_je6an4i wrote

hell yeah. a single slice of s’mores cheesecake from there lasts me 3-4 desserts.

anurodhp t1_je2r0ta wrote

Cheesecake Factory in Brockton

GatorMcqueen t1_je2v71g wrote

Comellas is surprisingly good for a place you wouldn’t expect but for my money I’d say Carl’s in Waltham

SausageMcFlurry t1_je2m6gb wrote

The one you make yourself. Lemon zest + juice in the filling and a little cinnamon in the crust and that's the best goddamn cheesecake in Boston right there.

Hot_Salamander3795 OP t1_je2pt46 wrote

slide the recipe <3

SausageMcFlurry t1_jebbuyo wrote

NYT has a great cheesecake recipe. Add 1 tsp cinnamon to the crust and 2 tsp lemon juice + 2 tsp lemon zest to the filling. Bake it at the temp they say but don't take it out until the crust starts to brown, their recommended time is not enough. Best goddamn cheesecake I ever did have

Granolapitcher t1_je2zicz wrote

Cheesecakes require a boiler in the oven too to keep the cake moist and not dry. Nobody makes their own cheesecake that I know

−12

thebakersfloof t1_je358mh wrote

You can also bake it low and slow. I fucking hate water baths. A 6-7 hour bake of a cheesecake at 200°F and an overnight chill in the fridge yielded the best cheesecake I have ever eaten.

Also, I believe r/baking would disagree with no one making their own cheesecake. People take on all sorts of absurdly fiddly bakes there.

laughing-stockade t1_je4p7gc wrote

theres also basque cheesecake, the objectively correct cheesecake, which just cooks in the oven at highish temp

Temporary-Pain-8098 t1_je33u7l wrote

South Station to New York.

Hot_Salamander3795 OP t1_je340ga wrote

Ok, where in New York though

DSii1983 t1_je3fgcz wrote

Best cheesecake in NYC is S&S cheesecake…literal hole in the wall in the Bronx. But they have a website and you can order. Source: am a chunky NY gal who loves cheesecake

dgnatey t1_je399qd wrote

Hana Quon has entered the chat...

Sayoria t1_je2yomb wrote

The best one I've had so far has been at Chart House by the Aquarium. I went there for Dine Out Boston and the Cheesecake was a dessert to choose. Got it and loved every minute of it. Especially the strawberry glaze.

aboudalhmood t1_je3kj6o wrote

Spinelli's has the best NY style cheesecake around Boston

General_Piano_5568 t1_je4ghyw wrote

Honestly …. Cheesecake Factory cheese cake is great . I don’t care that it’s a chain. I’m sure modern and mikes “ North End” hold up as well. There’s gotta be a smaller mom and pop that also have some top notch CC

phonesmahones t1_je30u0t wrote

A friend of mine loves Lyndell’s in Somerville.

Trombone_Tone t1_je3fj8s wrote

It is quite good. Lyndell’s is good for just about any baked good that your grandmother loves. They are painfully old-school, but they are good at what they do.

Personally, I wish they would freshen up the menu a little

phonesmahones t1_je3hfqi wrote

I’ve never had their cheesecake. Being from East Somerville, I was always a Patsy’s person. Alas…

idkhow2userddt t1_je3cqux wrote

Haven't had their cheesecake, but I haven't met a dessert I didn't liked at D'orsi's in Peabody

MatNomis t1_je3t8jk wrote

If you like chocolate in your cheesecake, my vote would be Quebrada Baking company. I’m not normally big on cheesecake, but their little mini chocolate cheesecakes are tiny yet satisfying and I rarely walk out of there without buying one. Not sure if they have them in bigger sizes, I never manage to make it there until later in the day.

They have a blueberry option, too. And it tastes good. Not sure how it ranks among others, though.

Granite017 t1_je4s6mn wrote

Arthur’s in Medford on Somerville line. There’s really no comparison. Blows anything in the north end out of the water. I love a good cheese cake and have traveled extensively over the world, but their cheesecake is the best I’ve ever had.

jrichard08 t1_je3wytp wrote

Ppl say cheesecake factory but Dutch Kitchen and usually any hole in the wall diner has amazing cheesecake too. I gotta also agree with Market Basket! Let us know what u choose!

the_frank_rizzo t1_je4qpq8 wrote

Take the trip to Lawrence. Tripoli bakery has best cheesecake ever.

TalentedCilantro12 t1_je792ig wrote

Does anyone else think it's sad that the best cheesecake here is at the cheesecake factory?

WatermelonNurse t1_je3jwft wrote

My home. I got a little jiggle or firm. Only plain. Not too sweet.

SeaJay1187 t1_je4k72b wrote

Cheesecake is goat and easy to make. Try it out

United-Hyena-164 t1_je4w69a wrote

Does it need to be forsaken and cursed by the almighty deity or is it ok if it just tastes good?

Accomplished_Ad_9288 t1_je636gm wrote

Not sure if they are selling it right now, but Flour hands down.

_JayC114 t1_je74viz wrote

Cheesecake, cheesesteaks what’s the difference!!! lol 😂

Over-Customer5722 t1_je7vv9a wrote

Caramel turtle cheesecake from Butcher Boy in North Andover, it slaps real hard

OnundTreefoot t1_je4jquw wrote

You can probably find a good Wiccan bakery up in Salem.

Bnaker t1_je2qge5 wrote

Milanos

−1

No_Judge_3817 t1_je2kom8 wrote

We're an atheistic city, god doesn't damn any cheesecake because our cheesecake doesn't believe in god

−39