Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NattyMcLight t1_ivr95vo wrote

Sometimes data is not beautiful. Sometimes it is just a bar graph.

ShinjukuAce t1_ivqzis0 wrote

Crypto is stupid, the Metaverse is stupid, and Twitter was bought by a lunatic.

If there are mass layoffs at real companies like Apple and Microsoft I’ll worry about the state of things.

the_clash_is_back t1_ivragj1 wrote

Pretty much all these companies either made bad calls, had bad models, or had literal insane restructuring.

caveyh96 t1_ivsrzku wrote

"real companies" what a sad sentence. They are all real companies even if you don't like what they do or who owns them.

realzequel t1_ivtzoij wrote

You're right, but I think Twitter, for instance, is bloated. Though based on what I'm hearing, it sounds like they're doing a terrible job separating the wheat from the chaff.

ShinjukuAce t1_ivuew1s wrote

Coinbase is a vehicle for crypto Ponzi schemes. That’s not a real company that produces any actual useful goods and services.

griwulf t1_ivz4rhk wrote

You can actually be worried because the “real” companies are going through some terrible freezes right now.

xylopyrography t1_ivrscoe wrote

Google is coming soon.

Apple and Microsoft probably just more strict hiring freezes and internal attrition.

−14

seiyamaple t1_ivs70pi wrote

What makes you say Google is coming soon?

xylopyrography t1_ivs87o0 wrote

The drop in ad revenue will continue as interest rates rise.

I don't think they will care to retain the same headcount.

Maybe they can continue with just attrition, but they'll likely want to clean 10-15% too.

−5

ArkGuardian t1_ivsbcc8 wrote

There's not a drop in ad revenue outside of YouTube.

zack14981 t1_ivsag5n wrote

Did you also call the first iPhone stupid?

Seems like the only stupid one here is you.

−20

Twirdman t1_ivscgm1 wrote

One the first iPhone was not a dramatic departure from existing technology it was a significant improvement over existing technology so your analogy is stupid.

​

Second some of those are just plain stupid. They serve no function. What need does crypto fill? We already had secure, instant, online fund transfers and have for years before crypto. Crypto added nothing to this. All crypto does is waste an inordinate amount of energy to produce random digital strings of nothingness.

Trixteri t1_ivtkqce wrote

the only chain that wastes energy is Bitcoin. the digital strings of nothingness are proof that everything really does exist there.

zack14981 t1_ivscre0 wrote

The metaverse is to vr what the iPhone was to phones. I’m not saying I like the metaverse, but if you’re going to talk about improving existing technology, they’re very similar.

You can call crypto useless, but the fact is that there are billions of dollars circulating around in the crypto space. Calling a business that operates in that space and makes money doing so “not a real company” is just fucking asinine.

−10

timmeh-eh t1_ivsf3av wrote

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha…. Challenge there is people wanted phones. A shitty vr version of second life is the answer to a question nobody’s asking.

Hole-In-Six t1_ivstktj wrote

Are you calling beanie babys stupid! Because the fact is there's millions of dollars floating around the beanie baby space. - Some guy in 1999

timmeh-eh t1_ivwir4z wrote

Well while I do think that beanie babies were stupid people did actually want them. The challenge Meta is facing here is nobody wants to buy expensive VR hardware so they can have a virtual existence.

aaahhhhhhfine t1_ivtfgen wrote

The iPhone isn't "stupid" in an abstract sense. But it is baffling that so many people are willing to pay so much money for them. They aren't that amazing. Hell, I'd take a midrange Android device over an iPhone any day of the week. The confusing thing is that so many people are willing to spend about twice what they should for iPhones that apple is somehow able to fucking thrive as basically just a hardware company. It's kind of amazing... Their software is mostly just ok (though they've got a few decent things)... They're really just a hardware company that somehow made that work.

Etch_a__sketch t1_ivtgzzf wrote

There is no reasonable argument that Apple is just a hardware company lol. They actively develop several operating systems. To call Apple a hardware company is a complete misunderstanding of how Apple operate.

aaahhhhhhfine t1_ivtiwxj wrote

Of course there is... They make all their money from hardware. Also Tim Cook was specifically picked for the job because he was their hardware supply chain guy and that's the company they are.

You are completely misunderstanding Apple.

Chroderos t1_ivqlr9l wrote

What departments are being laid off? Or is it just across the board mandated cuts?

CardboardJ t1_ivqn9rt wrote

Anecdotal evidence, but on LinkedIn senior dev jobs still seem to be posted for a week with only 4-5 applicants, while project/product/engineering manager positions seem to get 50 in the first hour.

Tactical45 t1_ivqvqjb wrote

The latter have much broader and vague skill set requirements and thus attract much more unqualified applicants.

If a senior Eng role requires some very specific skills (eg programming language X), and if you don't meet those you know there is likely no point even trying.

PaperbackPirates t1_ivqw7jl wrote

I got 300 applications for an associate product manager position on LinkedIn. Maybe 12 of the applications were actually qualified … for an associate position.

Tactical45 t1_ivrov26 wrote

Work as a PM - can confirm mismatch between what people think is required and what is actually required 😂

streetvues t1_ivsrjdo wrote

What are the biggest misconceptions people have?

AxelNotRose t1_ivt9bpe wrote

Not the person you asked but I find that good PMs are difficult to differentiate on paper vs. Poor or unqualified PMs due to the fact that what usually makes a PM stand out are their soft skills. Skills such as how to communicate, how to create relationships, how to find balance between being an ass to get shit done vs. Being understanding about potential delays, and so on. Soft skills are difficult to quantify on a written resume. Everyone can write "excellent communication skills". It's not quantifiable like knows this prpgramming language or this application suite or whatever. During the interview process, you have to ask SAR type questions to differentiate the good ones vs. The bad ones.

ComposerOne t1_ivuz2fg wrote

I work with a lot of PMs. Our best PM , who just got poached for Google, was deeply technical. They were a data science lead previously. They also had fantastic soft skills (they weren’t a neck beard in a basement, almost sales level soft skills).

AxelNotRose t1_ivv2sz4 wrote

Yeah, the tech skills a PM might have are a massive bonus to the function if they're PMing tech projects. They still need those soft-skills though. Without them, they end up drowning, especially in complex projects.

Asterbuster t1_ivu4xxh wrote

Mmm, why people share 'knowledge' about topics they don't know much about. Reddit is fascinating.

h737893 t1_ivtkhl6 wrote

bad pms need jobs too. If one identifies as a bad pm should they apply?

R3lay0 t1_ivxee3l wrote

>bad pms need jobs too

Is this the UK conservative party's motto?

Deadly_chef t1_ivu4gnf wrote

No. Fuck bad PMs, they can rot

h737893 t1_ivvwh6y wrote

:( not everyone can be a star pm

Deadly_chef t1_ivx1ct4 wrote

Change careers then, you get no sympathy from me

h737893 t1_ivyoi6c wrote

Bad pms could have been good pms when they were younger and are now too old to change careers. :( (

Mocker-Nicholas t1_ivtk006 wrote

I’ll rant a bit here and say it’s because PMs are people who want to work in the tech space, with tech people, with the tech lifestyle benefits, without the downside that is knowing how to do the technical stuff lol.

Disclaimer: I feel like I’ve worked some PMs with a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

PaperbackPirates t1_ivtk90s wrote

Yeah, that is for sure it. Fwiw, I hate working with non-technical PMs lol

Mocker-Nicholas t1_ivtlxon wrote

“I would like to work from home, show up at 9:00am, never have to talk to an end user, isolate myself from any non technical team in the organization, and also don’t want to learn any front end, back end, or dev ops, technologies”

h737893 t1_ivtkmz1 wrote

What if your boss asked you to be promoted to pm. Would you accept?

Mocker-Nicholas t1_ivtlmsb wrote

Depends on the money. I guess if the salary was higher I would consider it. But I just moved from a role that was more “coordination, planning, and meetings” to “actually doing the thing that needs to be done” because that’s where I see the value add from technical staff. If I wanted to go the PM route I could have, but chose not to because of my experience with them.

[deleted] t1_ivrvk4w wrote

I keep hearing this as well. A huge amount of applicants are absolutely unrelated to the job.

Zesty-Lem0n t1_ivsheno wrote

Lmao middle management rats scurrying after another do-nothing job.

Alundra828 t1_ivtjah3 wrote

It makes sense.

WFH renders most managerial skills moot. Not to mention that the skills employed by managers are vague and non-standardized, and most have been internally promoted, so may not actually qualify elsewhere.

formicatile t1_ivqpdrx wrote

Recruiting/talent acquisition is slashed for obvious reasons. No need to pay staff to find new hires when you’re not hiring.

KajePihlaja t1_ivt3qe6 wrote

I have no real answer other than my friend was a recruiter for stripe for the last few years and was recently laid off.

Silverdragon246 t1_ivr404z wrote

This subreddit should be renamed to r/NewsInBasicDataForm

[deleted] t1_ivs9u6x wrote

[removed]

Existential_Stick t1_ivsinfm wrote

There was another one recently about police killings in "1st world countries" that wasn't normalized per capita, didn't disclose any time frame, and cherry-picked countries it featured, conveniently excluding any country higher than the US.

...but of course it got mad upvotes and awards because "America/Cops bad"

Kinexity t1_ivr1sk2 wrote

>Crypto.com, Coinbase

Those are tech bro companies, not tech companies.

Santier t1_ivrccg7 wrote

Right? This is such a cherry-picked list. Hardly representative of the industry as a whole.

ShutUpYoureWrong_ t1_ivrk999 wrote

This is the most low effort, garbage tier, pile of shit post I've seen in a while.

Percentages mean nothing when each company has vastly different amounts of workers. 50% of Twitter is 3,700. 13% of Meta is 11,000.

[deleted] t1_ivs9vhq wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_ivsijm4 wrote

If you were a mod, what criteria would you use to take down something like this? How would you even objectively judge “beautiful” aspect of dataisbeautiful?

reddit_rar t1_ivuux2v wrote

You're so right...I didn't realize this myself.

Fuck, this post is unworthy of being here

dasbootdasfoot t1_ivqo5xf wrote

The social media era is starting to come to an end.

merkaba_462 t1_ivqwy67 wrote

Can't happen soon enough. I for one love watching Twitter burn...

[deleted] t1_ivtw8sm wrote

Nah. I respectfully disagree. Social media is literally just a place where people talk and shit. Just like Reddit. People will never stop talking. That’s the only case in which what you said comes true.

wreck0 t1_ivrci5c wrote

Twitter, ok Crypto.com, ok Peloton, um what? Peloton is a tech company?

[deleted] t1_ivsidfr wrote

What’s the definition of tech company? They develop their own hardware and software.

DaBIGmeow888 t1_ivt8eg0 wrote

Twitter is tech? They seem pretty basic website.

−1

elchignacio t1_ivv2h3w wrote

Hard to quantify, but yes, I would consider them part of the tech community. They (used to) hire scads of software engineers, developed the Bootstrap front end framework, among other things.

PieChartPirate OP t1_ivq8glp wrote

Tools: python, pandas, tkinter, sjvisualizer

Data source: layoffs.fyi

pm_me_github_repos t1_ivr6fi1 wrote

Would be cool to see absolute numbers too. Twitter looks like a lot proportionally, but Meta just laid off 3x as many people

Also some notable mentions: Lyft, snap

joeparni t1_ivsxom4 wrote

How have you used all of those tools and yet created something you could literally do in excel?

r/dataisnotbeautiful

[deleted] t1_ivtwe3v wrote

Lack of creativity. Tools don’t mean anything if the person lacks the vision.

-yato_gami- t1_ivrip39 wrote

Can you create a new with the exact numbers and at the end of it you can add the total%?

Bcs the employee base different for all these companies we just can't compare it with % , we need absolute numbers too.

alpacasarebadsingers t1_ivr7w86 wrote

This data is meaningless without knowing the size of these companies prior to layoffs

BoredKen t1_ivqvq0f wrote

What do Twitter staff even do?

merkaba_462 t1_ivqx3nj wrote

It was majority moderation people, which, let's face it, they did a shit job to begin with, but it's so much worse now...

konotiRedHand t1_ivqs97q wrote

I mean. These are all companies with massive revenue loss. Crypto, meta/Twitter (writing on walls) and peloton oversold their products without a plan to extend past that user base (or one that worked).

jthoff10 t1_ivrrxyq wrote

Peloton is not a tech company

ShezSteel t1_ivqjj16 wrote

It's an absolute bloodbath for tech.

CosechaCrecido t1_ivqxkpg wrote

It got bloated during the pandemic. It’s trimming the fat down to a sustainable level.

the_clash_is_back t1_ivran63 wrote

The solid blue chip companies are still doing fine, your ciscos, Microsoft’s, and apples are doing rather well.

realzequel t1_ivu0a26 wrote

Microsoft stock is down 28% in the last year. Revenue is fine but it's not doing "rather well" on the market atm.

positiv2 t1_ivqzzdo wrote

Does this consider also how many people were hired? A different post here showed that Meta still has more employees than in 2021 due to hiring a ton during the first two quarters.

the_scign t1_ivt6m2i wrote

Also people who were fired then rehired shouldn't be included.

Codac123 t1_ivr06gi wrote

How about you post a total numbers graph too?

suztomo t1_ivrragt wrote

Try to visualize the number of people, not just percentage.

Beansilluminate t1_ivqnj5e wrote

Also interesting, and a much different graph would be absolute number of employees

blitzinger t1_ivrs1yt wrote

Meanwhile my company is dying for new developers. Need to set up recruitment office in San Francisco

BobMunder t1_ivs9mgy wrote

These next 18 months will be incredibly tough for smaller tech companies. During a downturn, investors will not compromise for growth over profitability. It would be wise for every company to perform lay-offs now rather than when their cash runs dry.

I’d be surprised if any large tech company doesn’t have layoffs in 2022 or 2023.

Dasquare22 t1_ivr0ma1 wrote

Are most of these companies going to report record profits at the end of the quarter with 6-7 figure bonuses for the CEO’s?

Cause if I was one of those people that got laid off I might be trying to idk unionize or something crazy.

BrokenTurtleShell t1_ivr4caa wrote

Elon has personal motivations behind the Twitter restructuring so that's an anomaly.

Meta going through similar sort of restructuring by the Zucchini.

Cryptodotcom and Coinbase part of the crypto decline.

Peloton has been on the decline for ages, this was inevitable.

It's not Tech layoffs, just unrelated events...

xylopyrography t1_ivrt89r wrote

Lyft, Shopify, Snapchat, Robinbood, Booking.com, Opendoor...

That's just the last week.

There are hundreds of other tech companies announcing significant layoffs in the last 3 months.

Aquartgift t1_ivrhdy0 wrote

Looks like the recession has finally started

brainscab t1_ivs66v5 wrote

All these posts minimizing Meta’s layoffs reek of hailcorporate

realzequel t1_ivu1535 wrote

I can't feel too bad for people who work there, facebook sucks, they really amplify hatred and spread misinformation. Their history (privacy/transparency, etc..) is terrible. They took a big hit when Apple stopped them from tracking users (boo-hoo) and a big over-investment in the meta-universe, Zuckerberg admitted to it recently. User interaction is waning terribly, way too many advertisments. All that said, they're just retuning to pre-pandemic headcount. Only good thing is they support the VR industry which I like.

SyedHRaza t1_ivsfh4c wrote

If they didn’t spend all their money on stock buybacks they could have kept more people employed except those useless people at twitter don’t feel as bad for them

HieronymusGoa t1_ivsmmg6 wrote

finally some really beautiful data.

BrainTraumaParty t1_ivt5x21 wrote

There’s way way more companies that have laid people off. 766 companies so far according to: layoffs.fyi

Gareth009 t1_ivt8wsc wrote

Bloated wrecks. Time is catching up with them. Either they clean up and evolve or they get replaced. Apple and Microsoft were hot young tech companies once, so were Commodore and Atari.

lateavatar t1_ivt98vv wrote

Maybe these people can get together and start a decent social media platform and payment app.

warlax56 t1_ivtsz02 wrote

Well, the only one that does anything useful is stripe, so this tracks.

lordpavey t1_ivu7502 wrote

Just get a different job in a new field.

salitosmbogz t1_ivxcucr wrote

Is there a pinned post on the names of charts commonly posted here?

JPHyltin t1_iw0b86r wrote

Didn’t Meta just layoff 11,000 people, almost 3 times what Twitter did?

ajaydevks t1_iw19fyd wrote

from where can we obtain such data, and how legit will that data be?

Staxitall t1_iw618ej wrote

Elon did us all a favor firing half the company lol, time for real innovation and profit.

I_am_war_machine t1_iwqvyjg wrote

All these companies either have been getting bad press or their product isn’t as relevant as they were during the pandemic. Peloton is overpriced exercise software that realistically is a fad. Crypto is down because the hype is gone. Meta and twitter are two different jokes with fuckloads of bad press.

Strongest-There-Is t1_ivrz36n wrote

If you work for a company in my portfolio, fucking leave now before it’s too late. There’s a 100% chance you’re getting fired.

Evimjau t1_ivsfguw wrote

These procents don't add up.

akshaynr t1_ivsq1nd wrote

Wait. Peloton is a tech company?

scyber t1_ivt68ax wrote

It is like a list of companies I interviewed for over the last couple I'd years.

thurken t1_ivs91p4 wrote

None of them are doing useful stuff to be fair. I'd be sad to have never tried Apple, Google, or Microsoft products but I'm glad I never used any of these (stripe, coinbase, peloton etc).

−1

weazelhall t1_ivsf6vr wrote

Isn't android a Google product?

thurken t1_ivxjzr7 wrote

I guess my comment was unclear. I would be sad to not use or try Android, or other products from Apple, Google, Microsoft. Those companies are building useful things. But I'm glad I don't use products from crypto.com, stripe, peloton, coinbase and so on. With perhaps the exception from WhatsApp (but it feels so remote from Meta and I see or need no difference from the time it was independent from it).

jas26 t1_ivqp8or wrote

Not the most perspective industry recently

−3

SpiderFarter t1_ivre9sn wrote

Shame all these progressives are losing their jobs after supporting policies that are destroying our economy.

−14

ArkGuardian t1_ivsbsow wrote

What anti-tech policy has the Biden administration passed?

denimonster t1_ivsk0hi wrote

Did you decide to wake up today and choose to just dribble garbage out of your mouth?

SpiderFarter t1_ivtsyld wrote

Perhaps you should learn a thing or 2 about economics. But you do you.

keano97 t1_ivtomwd wrote

What policies have destroyed the US economy?

Or does it maybe have to do with outside influence like a war and China crippling it's supply chain cause of COVID lock downs?

Also let guess you hate "cancel culture" but appear to be fine with this?

Conservative policies are the death of an economy as they do not invest in the nation's future. Maybe turn off faux news and open a economics book once in a while.

Works in tech therefore progressive is just a ridiculous take.

SpiderFarter t1_ivtss4q wrote

Massive spending, regulations, taxes, crippling energy production for starters.

keano97 t1_ivxdvt3 wrote

The trump admin massively increased deficit spending. And if your refering to the infrastructure bill that will grow the economy. Was building the highways a mistake?

The US is at near record energy production. Gas prices have nothing to do with America. There are massive sanctions on Russia, that is why. Should we just throw Ukraine and it's sovereignty to the side over some slightly more expensive gas. The oil industry is sitting in approved drilling permits cause they like the highly profitable price it currently is at.

What has changed with taxes? Please give me and example of how regular people have to pay more.

What new regulations?

All I see is talking points with no evidence. Non of this has much to do with the Dems.

Name me five policies the republicans have that would help, they haven't named anything except "woke cancel culture" and other buzzwords. Nothing concrete or of any actual meaning.