Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Equal-Negotiation651 t1_iu4vovj wrote

Lock your doors tonight because I will find your house and let myself in to eat this entire thing.

ultimate_obtainable t1_iu595r3 wrote

count me in, let's form a team

TongueTwistingTiger t1_iu5r3b2 wrote

Let's do it. Oceans Eleven, but for yogurt.

imaraisin t1_iu68am8 wrote

Yogurts Eleven

Preesi OP t1_iu6240w wrote

I just tasted a spoonful. ITS SO SILKY SMOOTH! Like Dove chocolate smooth.

femsci-nerd t1_iu4tj8d wrote

This is cultured cream. If you whip it it will become cultured butter which has an amazing taste very different from sweet cream butter!

ByGollyJolly t1_iu4tzhx wrote

If you make from full cream milk instead of cream you can hang it in cheesecloth over an extended period to let the whey water drip away.

quakefiend t1_iu72v5b wrote

Isn’t that more or less how Greek yogurt is made?

cravenravens t1_iu8gbkq wrote

I don't know about greek yogurt but it's called 'hangop' in Dutch!

Alt-F-THIS t1_iu5bmqa wrote

I can only imagine the amount of bathroom trips for my lactose-intolerant ass.

Preesi OP t1_iu5bwx0 wrote

Similar to butter, heavy cream is a very high-fat product. One tablespoon (15 grams) of heavy cream contains about 0.43 grams of lactose. 3 So it's safe for most people to use some heavy cream in their diet, like in a cup of coffee.

Alt-F-THIS t1_iu644xx wrote

Oh it doesn't stop me from consuming it!

rmttw t1_iu6kj4l wrote

The point is that it has a negligible amount of lactose compared to a serving of yogurt or milk.

Hooda-Thunket t1_iu6sou7 wrote

I thought the lactobacillus culture destroyed the lactose in the process of turning the milk into yogurt. Am I ill informed here? (Wouldn’t surprise me.)

rmttw t1_iu6z7uz wrote

No that’s true, but in regular yogurt there’s still a pretty significant amount of lactose. It’s like 1/2 to 1/3 the amount in milk.

Juswantedtono t1_iu7y7tj wrote

However, the lactase enzyme produced by the bacteria remains bioactive in the yogurt and can help your body digest the remaining lactose.

ruseriousordelirious t1_iu7nfaq wrote

Same. You might as well just use a piping bag and squeeze it up my arse. It’s going to come out right away anyway.

PaddiM8 t1_iu855zd wrote

Could just use lactose free cream

boombopzippityzoom t1_iu4ohnb wrote

never heard of this. how do you make it? just heavy cream instead of milk to curdle the yogurt while setting?

​

is it more similar to greek yogurt or labneh or does it have its own texture and taste?

Preesi OP t1_iu4s7uv wrote

I had 2 pints of Heavy Cream that were expiring yesterday.

I poured them in a big bowl, heated it in the nuker till it was 100 degrees, added 1/3 cup plain yogurt and put that in my yogurt/rice maker and turned on the yogurt function. As soon as it was done I covered it and refrigerated it.

Its also called Creme Bulgare.

Tomorrow Ill make it into cultured butter, then GHEE.

The texture changes depending on the heavy cream, THIS batch is more liquid then others.

Manufacturing cream makes the best.

nda2394 t1_iu4xggr wrote

The nuker?

Preesi OP t1_iu4ynrd wrote

Microwave Oven

ArtistWhoStarves t1_iu62m92 wrote

I wonder if the term "nuke it" came because when the nuker was invented, people didn't trust it. And I think it was invented around the same time the nuke was.

PepinoPicante t1_iu840nr wrote

The etymology is related. Microwaves were considered an almost magical technology when they became popular. Since they and nuclear weapons both use “radiation” (though much different) and both made their targets substantially hotter, it became a funny way to say “use the microwave.”

[deleted] t1_iu7dn4j wrote

[deleted]

−13

maidmariondesign t1_iu7g11g wrote

because his grandma never threw anything away... there are things you can do with 'old' milk.....

Aym42 t1_iu6gfin wrote

2 pints of heavy cream approaching their sell-by date or 2 pints of heavy cream with a distinct odor?

Preesi OP t1_iu6h6rk wrote

Approaching. I never use anything past the sell by best by date

carvedmuss8 t1_iu72dw2 wrote

My grandmother and her 3 weeks expired milk would like a word with you about your waste

Gastronomicus t1_iu7nm5f wrote

Why not? It's not as if things are automatically spoiled beyond that date. It's a guideline. Things can spoil well before then if opened long before that date and can last well beyond it if opened close to it or even afterwards.

Dairy tend to be pretty easy to tell when its going off.

keestie t1_iu7t8xm wrote

As a former dumpster-diver, I would encourage you to explore the use of your senses. The sell-by date is not completely disconnected from the chance of spoilage, but it isn't really tied to it either. It's as much about keeping a steady flow of products so that all of the upstream systems can work effectively. If it smells ok, it is ok. Dairy is a very good communicator; it'll tell you when it wants to go.

In any case, you made something wonderful and I'm happy for you. But just be aware that the date is not there principally for your safety, and a lot of food remains safe well after the date has passed. In most cases, your eyes and nose are the best judge.

Preesi OP t1_iu8j0z9 wrote

I will do what I feel best for me.

keestie t1_iu8vyt1 wrote

As you should. Just giving you some information that it seems most people don't have.

denzien t1_iubts95 wrote

I have found dairy expiration dates to be pretty accurate. Sell by is a mystery ... does it mean it'll be bad tomorrow? 3 days? A week?

keestie t1_iubukwi wrote

It doesn't mean it's going to be bad in any period of time. That's what I'm saying. It's not directly related to the time a product is going to go bad. Have you actually smelled products that have passed their date? Cuz I have, and they generally are fine for a week or two after, as long as they were kept closed and mostly refrigerated.

triggerismydawg t1_iu7gvhd wrote

Yeah, uh, me neither 🤥

Duosion t1_iu7kgku wrote

Totally, me too……. (To be fair, plenty of sell by dates are just total bull shit and can be ignored.)

keestie t1_iu7tlrd wrote

They can often be ignored, but they're not actually bullshit, they're just not for you. They're for the people who stock the shelves. If a product is past it's sell-by date, it gets tossed whether it's bad or not (it's usually not), and it is more to do with keeping a steady flow of inventory and keeping upstream systems working smoothly.

The (quite significant) loss of good food is acceptable to the seller because it keeps the incoming product fresh and consistent, which maintains their brand, and keeps their suppliers happy and willing to work with them. I understand why companies do it but it wastes massive amounts of perfectly good food and it's a genuine tragedy.

StrLord_Who t1_iu81bon wrote

Then you are throwing out a whole lot of perfectly good food. Unless you are saying you always manage to use it up first. "Sell by/best by" dates are NOT expiration dates or even close.

TongueTwistingTiger t1_iu5rkbt wrote

*Drops in from the ceiling like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible to steal your yogurt*

No... but seriously, this looks too good.

I would throw soooo many raspberries in there.

keyserv t1_iu5g4h3 wrote

I am breathing heavily all of a sudden.

love0_0all t1_iu6eerq wrote

That is one beautiful bacteria frappe.

1senseye t1_iu4tvy8 wrote

Looks like alpina white paint. But tastes good probably

nvbtable t1_iu5b1c3 wrote

Is that sour cream?

Preesi OP t1_iu5biwz wrote

No, Its Heavy Cream YOGURT.

brfoley76 t1_iu5rf82 wrote

Yes, it's sour cream. Sour cream is yogurt made from cream.

−13

Rapunsell t1_iu5wxrw wrote

The cultures in yogurt and sour cream are usually different, although there is sometimes some overlap. Sour cream is generally made with Streptococcus bacteria and yogurt is generally made with Lactobacillus bacteria.

brfoley76 t1_iu6u96n wrote

The downvotes i got are epic. But literally, you can make perfectly delicious sour cream with a bit of yogurt starter. I do it all the time. It's not any different in practice than very good sour cream. Shrug.

The temperature and incubation time are going to have way more influence on whether it's on the creme fraiche or sour cream end of the spectrum.

slayez06 t1_iu75l9a wrote

There is a brand of yogurt called brown cow and they make the best yogurt. They have real fruit on the bottom in pectin jelly and then normal yogurt with a layer of cream yogurt on the top.. The top is by far the best!

curmudgeon_andy t1_iu7ugm3 wrote

If you fermented cream using cultures from yogurt, what you have is sour cream, not yogurt. Please call things by their correct names.

panaknuckles t1_iu7h8pp wrote

How would this be different to sour cream??

Preesi OP t1_iu8j3ky wrote

Sour cream is Lactic Bacteria, yogurt uses different bacteria. This is YOGURT, namely Creme Bulgaria

chemprofes t1_iu7kg2e wrote

You forgot to put NSFW.

RemiRaton t1_iu6qp5x wrote

I want to go to there

Hooda-Thunket t1_iu6sx7g wrote

I just gained several pounds looking at it. Thanks for ruining my diet.

Maple_Nut t1_iu791zp wrote

Is that Granny Cream's Hot Butter Ice Cream?

hebarrr t1_iu7i87w wrote

Hear me out

MuddiPutty t1_iu7lpeq wrote

Looks like it’ll be a good ice cream too.

Adeep187 t1_iu7mnew wrote

She's lying, its plaster.

giantflyingpepper t1_iu7qlre wrote

Got any recipes to share? Don’t keep that secret 🤐

keestie t1_iu7st6g wrote

Omg this is my dream.

-Davo t1_iu810dr wrote

Hhnnngggg

GingerMau t1_iu81hcn wrote

Holy shit.

I feel like heavy cream yogurt might possibly be exactly what my life has been missing.

livadeth t1_iu8w4ue wrote

Looks luscious! What will you use it for?

AesopSkate t1_iu6783k wrote

I thought this was some sort of toilet pan at first. Definitely not as edible!

frnkrusso t1_iu6ymjb wrote

I’m gonna make yogurt now and I’m so excited! Then I’ll turn it into butter and ghee! Thanks!