Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

fancyasian t1_j8v3ixs wrote

Oh my, it could be any year now!

Jabs349 t1_j8vfduh wrote

I read this in a Professor Farnsworth voice

Hopai79 t1_j8v2pex wrote

Could be done by summer if they really roll this along. One Wall Street location was at this point last fall and just opened last month.

Nuplex t1_j8wsa9o wrote

I won't hold my breath for it.

Hopai79 t1_j8xjgxo wrote

I’m not. I shop at Trader Joe’s in Manhattan and carry back home. Plus fresh direct with discounts.

squee_bastard t1_j8vas4w wrote

I remember when WF was announced i was working in Soho and had a chat with a bunch of my coworkers (most of whom lived in jersey city at the time) and we theorized it was a year or two away from opening.

That was in 2019. Almost all of those people are long gone once WFH started in March 2020.

This feels like it’s finally going to happen before the end of the decade.

platedserved t1_j8ve6mw wrote

Whole Foods opening up across the street was a selling point from the building I moved into back when I first came to Jersey City in 2016. I don’t know who I am without the empty promise of Whole Foods opening soon.

squee_bastard t1_j8vff73 wrote

Oh I forgot about that false alarm, it was originally going to be be built in the parking lot between 280 and 270 Marin across from 60 Columbus. I remember reading somewhere that the ground was so polluted with chemicals that they decided to not build there.

Miringanes t1_j8wooca wrote

Yeah it was hexavalent chromium. It was in the fill that was brought to site when they built those buildings.

Problem with the Marin site was they would have to significantly disturb the ground to build a new building and that would kick up dust and require remediation. They are effectively moving into an existing building which doesn’t have the same scope of remediation.

platedserved t1_j8vhc5v wrote

I’m sure the ground at the new location is just as polluted with the added flavor of accumulated parking garage pollutants. The food might be chock full of palladium, tire particles, and automotive fluids but it’ll still beat going to Shoprite.

ffejie t1_j8w9lw9 wrote

You know they don't grow the food at the store, right? gif

platedserved t1_j8y200c wrote

Ohhh so you’re saying that the dirt ground being there for two years was because they were dragging their asses and not because they were planting crops?

ffejie t1_j8y3vzk wrote

Nope, I was wrong. It's gonna be a farm.

Affectionate-Buy2539 t1_j8x7hob wrote

In theory, it should move pretty fast if the floor is in and drywall is up because plumbing /electrical beneath all that arguably takes the longest while everything on top (shelves, signage) are the final steps.

Lol a girl can dream!

coriblack t1_j8xqsds wrote

A Trader Joe’s woulda been done by now

Ainsel72l t1_j8vjnee wrote

Like watching paint dry.

photo-smart t1_j8wi3n4 wrote

I'm hearing mixed things about whether WF is actually going to open. I was recently told that WF had some conflict with the developer/city and as a result will not be opening. But from this pic is appears like something is happening. Who's got the skinny?

Source: Rumors

Connect_Choice_3042 t1_j8wbiqh wrote

The inspector joseph wakefern says no good , do it over!

Kevg1968 t1_j8wbpkc wrote

And mr Inserra says do it over ? Not up to code

CShellyRun t1_j8z8y2r wrote

Shake Shack in Grove st will probably be up and running before this

dpw59 t1_j92g0hq wrote

Walked by shake shack today and it looks done instead. Tables, seating, lighting, counters are in. Should open soon!

DontBeEvil1 t1_j8vfw28 wrote

Wow. Does it have a whole ceiling or roof too?

zero_cool_protege t1_j8we0g0 wrote

I mean what am I missing here? WF cant find a contractor to build out a store in under 3 years? How long has it been? Are they just eating the rent every month? Its really an impressive level of incompetence even from a large Bezos owned corp.

Jahooodie t1_j8wmwnl wrote

They're also building out the above to be NE Headquarters offices.

But having zero information, the theme in JC is usually our permitting & inspection offices are slow, bureaucratic messes, and not sized appropriately. Basically everything here opens years after announced opening dates.

Goodbye_Sky_Harbor t1_j8wvshs wrote

If you've ever tried to get anything approved in this city you know this to be true

Jahooodie t1_j8x04e2 wrote

"Hey, if you hire my neighbor's cousin Vinnie he can 'expedite' this paperwork for ya. We're sure as shit not going to help you understand this & give you conflicting information, also we only work part time at the most inconvenient hours. Good luck Mr. Bezos"

zero_cool_protege t1_j8x4bk2 wrote

I agree the city is surely not easy to work with, there are definitely comparable projects in the city that have been completed in much less time. People get paid a lot of money to design plans to accommodate for local building regulations on these projects. It seems to be a problem on the WF architecture/contracting level imo

No-Practice-8038 t1_j8zgggt wrote

I am sure Evil Corp has an army of lawyers and accounts to find tax loop holes or write off the losses.

JerseyCityNJ t1_j8xialh wrote

I love these types of floors. Why are they so rare in residential buildings?

sideback4 t1_j8ya430 wrote

Seems like they had some kind of problem with the original floor and it all needed to be ripped out and totally replaced. I remember looking in a few months back and they completely ripped everything out and went down a good few feet.