3720-To-One t1_j5zbu7z wrote

Out with the candles, in with the Lego

hour_of_the_rat t1_j5zilo5 wrote

Just build candles out of Legos.

Waggmans t1_j60sgo2 wrote

sordidcandles t1_j615ble wrote

Well that was easy. What do we do next?

No-Go-Rt128 t1_j699xcc wrote

Stop buying carcinogenic fake fragranced candles like Walmart Drones and buy real beeswax to support actual humanity

But no, boomers and their boomerlings were raised on potpourri horse shit

Horknut1 t1_j5zshdk wrote

Is there anything going on with the huge store in Deerfield? Or is that staying the same.

I like visiting there every once in a while.

NotSoPrudence OP t1_j5ztevy wrote

The store is remaining open. Most of the corporate employees will work from home or be assigned to another building.

Morningstar bless those sent to the factory in Whately.

Yankee Candle is royally fucked until they find competent leadership.

aeroumasmith- t1_j60tt0w wrote

Oh thank god. I like going to the store in Deerfield when I'm up there lol

flickerdown t1_j60ynh7 wrote

I only go for Richardson’s chocolate ;)

Alicesdaughter t1_j636kuw wrote

Richardson's is right down the road from there, Better selection. Up the road actually it's North on route 5

ShadowGLI t1_j60vaya wrote

Oh I thought that was the location they were closing. Damn that threw me. We just went in December while visiting home from SC.

sightlab t1_j6110dh wrote

Store, lab, and factory staying here. But really, fuck Newell Brands and their “portfolio”. In general, fuck companies who do nothing beyond keeping a portfolio of other companies.

MonsieurReynard t1_j5zye4p wrote

It amazes me that scented candles are such a big business.

bjanas t1_j60ht9i wrote

Yeah it's bizarre, I used to live by there and the operation is huge. Sometimes the smell is... a lot.

If you've never been, the store itself is quite a trip. It's kind of a Jordan's Furniture vibe? Not quite as big, but very immersive and pretty intense around Christmastime. I did go one with my ex to buy a christmas tree topper star though, and the staff was really confused; they didn't have stars, just angels. Leaving money on the table there, Yankee Candle.

sightlab t1_j611woj wrote

I worked in the warehouse way back when it was still under Kittridge’s ownership THUS higher quality products. 25 years later I still have stuff that smells lightly of that cursed potpourri.

octoroklobstah t1_j5zzyya wrote

I feel like so many people use candles for display and never light them, which is is even more baffling.

amphetaminesfailure t1_j60zpqp wrote

>It amazes me that scented candles are such a big business.

They probably wouldn't be if people knew how bad they were for your lungs.

Or maybe they still would be, because I know that yet I still light scented candles.

It's not a daily thing for me though, not by far. I'll get like a couple of small seasonal ones for the time of year. Some of the fall and Christmas are just so good (who can say lighting up Spiced Pumpkin on fall night isn't relaxing as hell?).

Burning them daily is just not healthy though. Light one with paraffin wax and turn on your air purifier if you have one, the air quality will be down to zero in minutes.

Some advice for people who do like scented candles while on this topic.....

Around a decade plus ago, the original owners of Yankee Candle sold the business.

They now own Kringle and Country Candle, and they use their original Yankee recipes.

So if you've noticed your Yankee Candles aren't as good as they were years ago....it's because the new company is getting cheaper and cheaper with them.

Try Kringle/Country ones.

jitterbugperfume99 t1_j61xa3i wrote

That’s good to know about their new company. I bought a couple of small Yankee Candles a few months ago and was very underwhelmed. I’m currently into the ones from Stonewall Kitchen, but I’ll look into Kringle.

Boston_TD_Party t1_j64z03i wrote

Kringle is great, they have a nice shop, restaurant, and toy shop in Bernardston, MA

amphetaminesfailure t1_j690eyu wrote

I didn't know that. That's a pretty long drive for me, but I was planning on a weekend trip to Keene this October. Sounds like a good stop on the way up or down.

Boston_TD_Party t1_j691l8n wrote

I’d recommend a quick stop there and the new Treehouse brewing location in Deerfield.

amphetaminesfailure t1_j691wwi wrote

Thanks for the recommendation. I might have to turn my three day trip into a four day one.

Carpeteria3000 t1_j60gyvy wrote

My wife lights one every single night. They're out of wax in about a week and a half. Candles, baby. Big biz.

AbidanYre t1_j60jy3x wrote

"I have one word for you, Benjamin: plastics candles."

peeja t1_j61un2p wrote

It always throws me when people other places in the world know what Yankee Candle is. In 8th grade I took a class trip to Alaska and we were poking around in a mall at one point and found a little Yankee Candle display. We told the shopkeeper we were from where Yankee Candle is from, and she was legitimately excited about it.

Really, though, I don't understand caring about the actual candles. If it wasn't the place I went to see Santa at Christmas, I can't imagine caring about it at all.

mini4x t1_j60lz20 wrote

And a lot of them smell like vomit.

−8

squarerootofapplepie t1_j60mkhm wrote

I think you may have olfactory issues.

mini4x t1_j60o1s4 wrote

Well maybe not vomit, but so overwhelming that I want to vomit, or like old lady purfume.

bigredthesnorer t1_j5zytyi wrote

They used to have a great auto museum at the Deerfield location.

joeltb t1_j607s3x wrote

What happened to it?

poppinfresco t1_j60c9ag wrote

It’s at his sons house now, (it’s the craziest thing I have ever seen) father passed away son is selling the family compound in Levrett. Has an underground pool grotto made to look like you are outside, couple car barns (heated and AC) bowling alley. Normal stuff

joeltb t1_j60d1m3 wrote

Oh yeah, I do recall seeing a video of that palace. Place is insane.

DMala t1_j60rwx9 wrote

I guess you must just have people over all the time when you have a crazy place like that? Seems like it would be depressing and a little eerie hanging out in that giant place by yourself.

Also, that has to be the most boring collection of luxury cars I’ve ever seen. If I’m going to spend that kind of dough on cars, I’m at least going to buy something unusual or interesting.

poppinfresco t1_j6a3sok wrote

The Carrera GT is something to behold and the E Type Jag is nice, but yes nothing super unique.

RedditSkippy t1_j60x33l wrote

Is the son the one who started Kringle Candle? I didn’t realize the founder died.

poppinfresco t1_j6a3gf8 wrote

That is correct. Also the Farm Table restaurant (which was very good when it first opened) Micheal Kittredge and Micheal Kittredge Jr (one who owns and runs everything now)

RedditSkippy t1_j6a6sgw wrote

Are they related to the Kittredge people who own the restaurant supply store?

poppinfresco t1_j6a75z4 wrote

Nope, I know the place well my family has a restaurant. Complete coincidence, though Kittredge Center at HCC is indeed named after the father. So the story goes, he started making candles in his mothers garage and built his wealth. The local story on the other hand involves the importation of cannabis to the region (George Jung, come to mind) I think he distributed weed at UMASS and then found a way to make the money become legal. Now I await the hit squad

sightlab t1_j6123yg wrote

That compound is the loneliest thing I’ve ever seen.

ihiwidid t1_j60aibf wrote

It must have been a pet project of founder Mike Kittredge. Everything changed after he sold the company. Now that YC is owned by Newell Brands it’s all about quarterly profits for shareholders.

JaKr8 t1_j60k41w wrote

Sold off most of it about 15-20 yrs ago. Missed the chance to get a 71 Lt1 Corvette for about $24k at the time. They're worth a bit more than that now....

I think of that every time I go by the old building....

Tombstone_Shadow t1_j602xe2 wrote

An amazing run for a company selling a non-essential commodity. Hopefully they can weather the shifting winds, but I think downsizing was inevitable competing with battery powered candles and plug-in scents.

PHD_Memer t1_j60dec9 wrote

Someone mentioned a lot of employees from corporate going remote, so im wonder if it’s full blown downsizing, or restructuring to drastically reduce costs by removing rent for an office building

stinkopinko22 t1_j60o5d1 wrote

I buy candles and their stores are weird now. It’s like they changed what they are all about for the worse. I love buying Christmas tree candles during the holidays and we ended up doing bath and body works instead. Comparable quality and cheaper too. Selection was way better.

Waluigi3030 t1_j60yafr wrote

Pretty much every brand of candle is as good as Yankee candle for way less money.

I buy candles from Walmart now, and they smell as good as the rest.

Selfuntitled t1_j62ihs7 wrote

From the article - they are cutting 13% of their workforce.

Rocktopod t1_j60ow9g wrote

Does reducing office space not count as downsizing, too?

PHD_Memer t1_j60p418 wrote

I mean physically, i guess it really depends on perspective here because of there isnt a significant layoff of corporate employees i wouldnt necessarily consider it?

paganlobster t1_j60exyd wrote

Turns out a great business niche is lame last-second christmas gifts

Oblivious-abe-69 t1_j60tsg8 wrote

Looks like remote, if they own the property they can sell. From what I understand businesses generally lease office spaces for 10 years at a time so maybe they’re just not renewing

Acmnin t1_j6139r8 wrote

Who wants battery powered candles 😂

bodaciousboner t1_j60pkxu wrote

I’ve told this story on here before- but one of my best friend’s used to play semi-pro paintball with the owner of Yankee Candle’s kids, and the owner would foot all of the bills for the team, basically sending his stoner son and his friends around the country to get waxed in tournaments they had no right to actually compete in. Finally the guy had enough with burning money on this team and offered his son a Lambo to quit. The kid took the Lambo.

NotSoPrudence OP t1_j60prqb wrote

His kid is an absolutely epic pos.

bodaciousboner t1_j60q2hq wrote

I’ve only met him a small handful of times. Def didn’t like him too much though.

galgsg t1_j60uxfb wrote

There was a rumor that the father (Mike Kittredge) founded a new candle company, Kringle Candle, so that his son would actually work instead of playing golf all day.

JoshSidekick t1_j60w27v wrote

It right near the big Yankee Candle shop too. My wife and I go there for holliday candles while there's sales.

bodaciousboner t1_j61xode wrote

That is completely true, atleast according to my friend, who stays in close contact with the son.

succession1234 t1_j6083a6 wrote

I do love Yankee but they are way overpriced. Always have been.

ApathyMoose t1_j60cf1k wrote

It's just the building that's down the street from the Big store. The Village.

I worked on an ATM in the building. It's nice, but there was a ton of wasted space in there even back in like 2018. It's a smart idea to get rid of it and go somewhere smaller.

NotSoPrudence OP t1_j60d5an wrote

They rented it anyways and the owner of the building had some financial issues a few years back.

They should have purchased the old Channing‐Bete property. It sold for a song all things considered.

paganlobster t1_j609z19 wrote

Oh no, how else will I have a deeply uncomfortable asthma attack

blamatron t1_j5zvd6s wrote

Misinterpreted the chants

rubywizard24 t1_j61qb85 wrote

Before the holidays I secured a big contract for a local composting company I worked at to service the corporate offices, a contract that was going to save the business They laid me off last week and then saw the news of the offices closing. Justice.

InevitableOne8421 t1_j627cq1 wrote

The founder's and now son's house in Leverett is an incredible display of wealth

iwanttobehappy2022 t1_j629cpx wrote

That’s awesome. Hard work and smart moves pays off!! Hopefully it motivates you too work harder, save more and apply to Yankee candle. You just need to check your attitude.

−6

InevitableOne8421 t1_j62ibs1 wrote

Lmao thanks lil bud

iwanttobehappy2022 t1_j65g919 wrote

Yes. Just give us here at Yankee your address so we can bill you or put on a lean on your property to cover the consultation we just gave you. Be humble, say yes to whatever your boss asks at work and realize the more hours you get to work at yankee the better you feel as a person

UsedCollection5830 t1_j613dq6 wrote

Candles too expensive I just buy oil from candle science and im bussin like the garden of Eden 😊😊😊

Albion1B t1_j638gq2 wrote

get ‘em now candles are gonna get cancelled like gas

Old_Ad855 t1_j620giz wrote

Taxachusetts

−2