Submitted by Provav t3_z3lve3 in movies

For me, it has to be Boogie Nights (1997) When I first watched it, I thought it was fun movie but nothing more but when I watched it again, I realized this movie has everything. Great acting, editing, soundtrack, cinematography, has comedy, action, sex, drugs and has a deeper meaning of the importance of family and human companionship. Watching Dr. Octopus dancing to Jessie’s Girl while buying drugs is kind of badass. What’s your pick?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

riegspsych325 t1_ixmaeyy wrote

Big Lebowski. I either didn’t understand it or felt like I was left out of several inside jokes when I first watched it. It almost left a bad taste in my mouth until a few months later when I had an itch to watch it again. And when I did, everything just clicked

madman84 t1_ixmie9r wrote

That to me is the defining feature of most Coen brothers movies. On first watch they strike you as kind of funny/strange but nothing special. But something sticks with you and if you watch it again it really opens up and then gets better with each subsequent rewatch.

scrubjays t1_ixmir4m wrote

This happened to me with No Country for Old Men. I was so busy watching LLewelyn and the sherriff I did not really pay attention to Anton Chigurgh, who is really the, for lack of a better word, 'heart' of the movie.

NonuTheGOAT t1_ixo6nph wrote

+1. Saw No Country and Lebowski when I was a teenager and fucking hated them. Now they're two of my faves. They're art films disguised as studio movies.

traindodge t1_ixtp47s wrote

I’m a big Coen head now but that was my experience with A Serious Man. All these years later I can’t get that movie out of my head and it holds up each time.

ZebraBorgata t1_ixmkfll wrote

That was true for me too. I lightly enjoyed the movie the first time around but definitely didn’t react like others were reacting to it. But now I’ve seen it many many times and just love it!

Agitated-Fig-2343 t1_ixn8ig6 wrote

I saw the movie at the theater in 98 ,I was like What the hell am I watching? 5 years later a buddy from work tells me that he was on the floor laughing watching the big Lebowski ! What ? How ? Why ? Ok get a grip ! So got a DVD of the movie and holy crap it was hilarious ! 😂 ! It is now among my favorite movies !

Content-From-Reddit t1_ixmdv3z wrote

I had a very similar experience. They showed us a sneak preview of it while I was in college and when it was over I wondered what the hell I just watched. I didn't think it was funny, I didn't think it had a story, it was just 2 hours of my life.

A couple years later for whatever reason I decided to give it another try and I liked it a little bit more, but I still didn't think it was good. It took about three viewings for everything to click and then I thought it was a masterpiece.

skonen_blades t1_ixo3oir wrote

Word, me too. I'd seen Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple, Barton Fink and Fargo and was expecting another taut, tight, beautiful, complex, layered plot that would blow me away and what I got (to me that first time) was an aimless mess that meandered hither and thither before sort of petering out and just grinding slowly to a halt and then some credits. Silly characters and set pieces but it seemed slapdash and dumb. Random. Like they rolled the dice and failed. Like the magic had left their creative powers. SUPER disappointed.

Then two years later after listening to everyone rave about it, I was like "Man, what am I missing?" and watched it again only to go "OOOOOOHhhhhh, I get it now. Right. Great film." It's probably the only film I've had that experience with, I think. Or at least the one that I did the biggest 180 on.

NomadicDevMason t1_ixnd6i6 wrote

The first time I watched it I got it from blockbuster because it was on a promotional rack and I watched it alone sick while in bed. My dad came in to check on me because I was laugh coughing so loud he got scared.

LarsUlrichIsHere t1_ixmbyde wrote

Overrated stupid movie

−20

ClarkDungaree t1_ixmdpaw wrote

You human paraquat, to use the parlance of our times.

c_binghamton t1_ixmbo99 wrote

I know this film is still amazing for one viewing but Mad Max Fury Road. There are so many layers and everything we shown has an arc. I find a little something new each time I watch it.

McFigroll t1_ixmcohb wrote

Dune (2021). I love sci-fi but i left that film wondering what the big deal was all about, still not sure why I thought that. Usually, i would leave it at that but i felt i had to watch it again. I went again the following weekend and appreciated it a whole lot more, the visuals, soundtrack and the world are amazing.

AsimovLiu t1_ixnozgj wrote

It sure takes a lot of viewing to understand the mumbled dialogue under epic music. Villeneuve went to the Nolan Academy of Shit Audio Mixing for this one.

Haunting_opinion90 t1_ixmduse wrote

The hateful 8 by Tarantino

Quazatron t1_ixmpijx wrote

I watched it at the theatre in full 70mm glory, but I knew what I was going to watch and loved every minute.

diabetesjesus t1_ixpw3lp wrote

Same for me. I walked in to a 70mm showing on accident and only found out by second guessing the guy in the ticket booth about the price.

And I mean 70mm, not IMAX. It was wild and one of the best experiences in the theater that I ever had.

AstariaEriol t1_ixmew5n wrote

Primer. You need a diagram to understand the time travel.

radewagon t1_ixmiuko wrote

Agreed that you need a diagram. That said, if you need a diagram to understand it, then the filmmakers did a poor job of telling the story.

Primer is an awful movie.

AstariaEriol t1_ixmsq0w wrote

That’s fair. Media is subjective. I really like how complex and interesting it is with such a low budget.

yunbld t1_ixnpr6x wrote

Primer is more about the vibes.

CaptainLysdexia t1_ixqhdkn wrote

If you ended up enjoying it the second time around, check out his other film, Upstream Color. It's a bit of a mind-fuck, as well.

behold_the_man t1_ixmiykh wrote

I’ve watched it 7 times and I still have no idea what happens in the last 20 minutes

FelixGoldenrod t1_ixmkxti wrote

Blade Runner. I definitely expected it to be more action-packed the first time I watched it in high school, and thought it was okay afterwards. Several viewings later, I think it's a nearly-perfect film.

MacGyver_1138 t1_ixmn58m wrote

I'm 100 percent with you on this one. I was a big Sci fi fan going in the first time, and thought I knew what to expect. It ended up being so different than I expected that I didn't really like it at first. Since then, I've come to realize just how great it is. It's a rare occasion where the movie is also significantly superior to the movie for me.

Outrageous_Tank_8356 t1_ixo7q5a wrote

It took me several tries to watch it all the way through, I kept falling asleep..lol. Its a good movie but its far from a perfect movie ...that would Raiders of the lost ark

Pjoernrachzarck t1_ixqb842 wrote

This is the answer. I don’t think anyone’s first viewing of Blade Runner is their favorite. It’s just… too much to take in, too dense with all that is going on, and yet maybe a little too bare on plot to fully propel you inside before it is over.

But watch it again, and maybe just a little less focused on surprises and twists and revelations, just to experience what they created there - there is absolutely nothing like it, and probably never will be. Every time I rewatch it, I want it to go slower, for all the things that it gives you.

Fthewigg t1_ixmgi7y wrote

Jackie Brown.

Fessir t1_ixmq39i wrote

Jackie Brown also gets better the older you get. Not saying you need to be old to get it, but having at least a perspective on aging is invaluable. A lot of stuff in this movie doesn't register until you realise everyone is way too old to be doing what they're doing and are kind of stuck in their life.

It's not just Jackie and Max. Even stoner hoe Melissa and 21 Jump Street impression cop Ray Nicolette should have outgrown their shit, but haven't for one reason or another.

Content-From-Reddit t1_ixme6m5 wrote

I know not understanding a David Lynch movie on the first go-around is nothing particularly unusual, but it took me a very long time to understand Lost Highway. Hell, for all I know I still don't, but at least I know I really enjoy it now. I just kept giving it another try, after another try because I think the soundtrack is one of the best ever. And eventually I started putting all the pieces together.

iamstephano t1_ixp2syh wrote

I don't really think David Lynch movies are supposed to be understood as much as they are supposed to be felt.

SantaRosaJazz t1_ixpjyi7 wrote

That’s exactly what I always say about Lynch. I regard his work the way I’d regard a painting.

aLoneSideline t1_ixmcvr8 wrote

Midsommar. First time felt bad for the guy (I know, I know)

Second time had deep compassion for the lead and realized I had missed the entire point first time round and had taken the movie way too literally.

Blackfist01 t1_ixmea4j wrote

I had the complete reverse reaction as I understood more about it.

Wufei05 t1_ixmg8c3 wrote

INCEPTION. Liked it the first time but didn't fully understand it until I watched a few more times. Now I absolutely 💯 ❤️ it!!!

RavioliGale t1_ixtoedy wrote

I feel like I've understood Inception less the more I've watched it.

TheMeticulousNinja t1_ixmfdzz wrote

Memento

ZebraBorgata t1_ixmiubu wrote

I loved it upon first watch but absolutely had to rewatch it and liked it even more afterward

afireintheforest t1_ixn5lyj wrote

I remember the first time I watched it, I saw this version where the scenes where chronologically ordered. When I saw it a second time, the correct way, I was totally confused. What the hell was that version I watched?

Arbor-Trap t1_ixmef1b wrote

Pi by Darren Aronofsky

chadnormal t1_ixmmis1 wrote

Love that one! I watched the shit outta that when I was an angsty high schooler

VrinTheTerrible t1_ixma938 wrote

Falling Down

I remember a friend asking me if i liked it as we left the theater the first time. I said I really couldn't tell. After a few more viewings (I worked at the movies back then), I decided I did, but it took me a while to get there.

ZebraBorgata t1_ixmk2iu wrote

Wow, go back and watch Falling Down now. The funny thing is, all the crap that gets Michael Douglas’s character angrier and angrier is so much more worse today. If he didn’t like how things were going in 1993 he’d absolutely despise the world today.

Blackfist01 t1_ixme46j wrote

I was thinking similar.

With me, I liked falling down as s teen because it was just a well acted movie, as an adult watching it several times i was like "woah! This makes far too much sense to me"

Klotzster t1_ixmcsp3 wrote

Arrival.

Provav OP t1_ixn7ym9 wrote

How so?

Klotzster t1_ixnzeu3 wrote

I went into it as a "how do we deal with aliens" movie. Next time I took the time to see "how do we communicate and understand aliens, and get them to understand us"

mryarbles t1_ixmb5yt wrote

Brazil

Quazatron t1_ixmq5vk wrote

I keep seeing this movie mentioned, but never got to finish it. I just sort of doze off after a few minutes, even though I love Terry Gilliam's work. I guess I need to try again.

Diligent_Dharma_1086 t1_ixnnwx5 wrote

Which version did you watch, the first time I saw it was the studio broadcast TV edit that made absolutely no sense; I thought the movie was awful for years before I saw Gilliam's cut.

michaelscarn1313 t1_ixmcmfc wrote

This happens to me with certain comedies. In particularly “The 40 Yr Old Virgin”. Maybe because it was first big movie that Judd Apatow directed but I didn’t quite connect with it the first time through. However on repeated viewings it’s become on of my favorite comedies. Similar thing happened with “The Other Guys”.

QuipLogic t1_ixmhb33 wrote

You haven’t actually seen Tenet until you’ve seen it twice. The movie itself is a temporal pincer maneuver.

CaptainLysdexia t1_ixqhzxu wrote

Agree, and if nothing else, the poor audio mixing pretty much demands a second viewing just to try and catch the dialogue. I do think it's brilliant though.

straightupslow t1_ixmidhb wrote

All I can remember about this movie is trying to explain to my wife that they can move forwards literally while traveling backwards in time and she just couldn’t comprehend what I was saying. Now - I’m not even 100% sure I was right. I would absolutely have to watch it again.

chadnormal t1_ixmncgn wrote

Totally gets better with every viewing! It came out when I was looking after my 2yo son. I'd put it on while he was falling asleep for naptime like once a week. Watched it a bunch. I appreciated it way more after that. Did you see the theory >!that Neil (Robert Pattinson) is the Kid (character name Maximilien - last four letters lien - backwards is neil)!<There's some good YT videos about it. I like to believe the theory.

QuipLogic t1_ixmom9f wrote

>!Only problem with that theory is that if your entropy is reversed then you wouldn’t age. So it wouldn’t be possible for Neil to be in the same time frame as his younger self. If there are two of you then you are both the same age because you de-aged the amount of time that you would’ve aged.!<

>!If somehow the reverse of entropy doesn’t reverse your age and you can go back and meet a younger version of yourself then Neil would’ve had to been traveling back in time for years (over a decade) for him to be back in that point in time!<

Ookimow t1_ixmmbr0 wrote

Super Troopers.
Hated it at first. Gave it another try years later after my tastes had changed and loved it. So dumb in the best way. Same with Napoleon Dynamite.

Redararis t1_ixmnd0m wrote

Eyes wide shut

CnlJohnMatrix t1_ixq67l4 wrote

You have to be older and faithfully married to understand what this movie is truly about.

Diligent_Dharma_1086 t1_ixno8n2 wrote

I'm a huge Kubrick fan and have watched this one numerous times, it still doesn't quite click for me, in my opinion it's his weakest film.

−1

ProbablyBoredHaha t1_ixnqf4c wrote

I'm pretty sure that's every Kubrick fan's opinion

Redararis t1_ixntpes wrote

I mean the first time I saw it, it appeared to me completely disjointed and unnecessary, the second time I saw a nice study in human sexuality. And yes, Kubrick has made better films.

HitmanSK007 t1_ixmskvl wrote

Prisoners. I absolutely loved the movie the first when my brother just randomly put it up. But when I watched it the second time, it was so obvious how much at the top of their game everybody in it was. Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Dano, Hugh Jackman, Terrence Howard would have all gotten Oscar nominations if it were up to me. And of course Roger Deakins and Denis Villeneuve let them to do their thing.

hexadumo t1_ixmubdw wrote

Pulp Fiction. That was my first QT movie and didn’t get it at all. Had no idea what was going on. Watched it again about a year after it came out and it clicked and changed my world view.

Outrageous_Tank_8356 t1_ixo8ss6 wrote

Whats fun to do with Pulp Fiction is to watch the chapters in the correct sequence... So Bruce Willis saying Zeds Dead should actually be the end of the movie..

shark_snak t1_ixmjbym wrote

Tinker Tailor Solider Spy.

Slow but great, I had to watch multiple times to learn the character names and what is actually happening.

PopularPKMN t1_ixoiwaj wrote

This was one of the only movies I've ever fallen asleep to.

brownarmyhat t1_ixmvdj0 wrote

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. One of those movies where upon first viewing I had my eyes on the destination instead of appreciating the journey.

sliperiestofthepetes t1_ixme3j3 wrote

Grosse point blank

ZebraBorgata t1_ixmjmfz wrote

I loved Grosse Point Blank and have seen it probably 10 times. In the movie Cusack’s character is returning for his 10yr high school reunion….and it happened to coincide with my own HS 10yr reunion. I think that made it more enjoyable

sliperiestofthepetes t1_ixmmmwr wrote

I never really liked john cusack. But having dan akroyd in it made me watch

ZebraBorgata t1_ixmnyj2 wrote

I loved the interaction between Cusack & Dan A. I generally enjoy anything Cusack is in. However my personal opinion of Cusack is that he’s a douchebag. Now I have to tell a story. A few years back he was at a film convention where people could pay to have a photograph taken with him. It cost like $75. Cusack worse a large baseball cap and large sunglasses. You could show the photo to any movie fan and they’d have no idea it was Cusack behind the hat & glasses. What a dick.

Onkel_B t1_ixmi4hc wrote

Equilibrium

ExtremelyOnlineChap t1_ixmjr3q wrote

Millers crossing. I love the movie but it’s a bunch of fast talking gangsters and the plot takes a lot of twists and turns. I didn’t fully appreciate it until probably 3rd viewing haha

chadnormal t1_ixmniow wrote

So goddamn good..!

“What you doing?”
“…Walking.”
“Don’t let on any more than you have to.”
“...In the rain.”

chadnormal t1_ixmm90c wrote

The Fountain, by Darren Aronofsky. It took me 12+ viewings to figure it out. Such a great movie. There is a commentary out there where Aronofsky says there is a hidden meaning and it took a while to decypher it. Highly recommend that one!

RUC_1 t1_ixn5qli wrote

Office Space. I watched it in high school and didn't really get the office humor. Watched it again after working in an office for years, and it made more sense.

foodfightbystander t1_ixna7q8 wrote

My favorite comment about Office Space is "I watched it in high school and thought it was a comedy. It wasn't until I watched it years later I realized it was a documentary".

CaptainLysdexia t1_ixqhs6n wrote

Mike Judge is kind of brilliant in that way. Idiocracy was a goofy, fun movie when it first came out, but as countless people have noted in the past several years, it's starting to feel like an accurate depiction of where we're headed.

urban_snowshoer t1_ixnbju9 wrote

Being John Malkovitch.

The first time I saw it was really weird and I didn't entirely get it. When I rewatched it a lot later, it made a lot more sense, to the degree a movie like that can make sense.

Content-From-Reddit t1_ixmeu4u wrote

Also, to reply directly to OP's choice of boogie nights, that was another one that didn't click for me. I think in my case, that tends to happen with movies that are more character studies or character-driven rather than something with a more traditional plot. If I'm not aware of that going in I end up focusing more on where I think the story is going rather than how the characters are reacting and evolving. And once I make it to the end of the movie and realize the plot wasn't particularly important, I just end up getting confused.

chanman876 t1_ixpccvh wrote

Boogie nights just has so many characters and stories that it’s hard to keep up with the first time. But it feels so good on repeated viewings. I don’t thinks there’s a film that can make me experience a wider range of emotions than boogie nights.

ZebraBorgata t1_ixmj0m2 wrote

I didn’t like Boogey Nights and I tried hard to like it because a buddy of mine worked on the film and was promoting it.

MovieMike007 t1_ixmtj6k wrote

Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

edashotcousin t1_ixmzm5v wrote

Blade Runner 2048 I really didn't get it at first. It felt too long and convoluted then I rewatched a few times and it took such a hold on me. Made me look at Denis in a whole new light

Low-Cantaloupe9426 t1_ixn4ldw wrote

A lot of the Quentin Tarantino movies. Sometimes it takes multiple viewings for me to see everything and break it down.

Miserable_Track_1885 t1_ixno1f4 wrote

Interstellar. I loved it the first time I watched it, but every watch since has made me fall in deeper and I always leave with something else to read about.

throwaway1112020732 t1_ixohj19 wrote

Sixth Sense. Watched it for the first time when I was 7-8 years old? I really liked it but that's it, liked it. Cool horror movie for a kid. I'm 30 now, rewatched it recently, felt like a different film. So powerful, so beautiful, so perfect. Thar car scene had me sobbing, and that ending. Straight to my Top 3 fav movies.

Tyrionthedwarf1 t1_ixpqva9 wrote

Alien (1979) when I was younger I did not like the slow place of the first middle half of the movie. After I watched it again later, I greatly appreciated this deliberate slow pacing and the awesome cinematography and world building of this movie.

Jeep_Girl_2000 t1_ixmdd0w wrote

Agreed. When the Shoveler finally flips out and resorts to violence I realized I was watching a much deeper movie.

Lign_Grant t1_ixmeuul wrote

Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End. Complicated as hell, too much going on. But once doing the third viewing, it's so satisfied. There're many set-up and pay-off which is hard to notice if you only watch it once.

Competitive-Finger26 t1_ixmhjo2 wrote

One Cut of the Dead

Predestination

Both deserve and almost require a second viewing to really appreciate everything going on.

jargjangle t1_ixmhsd6 wrote

The Transporter. I didn’t get it and walked out at the cinema but have enjoyed watching it several times since.

neverknowswhattosay t1_ixmx4k4 wrote

Michael Clayton. It’s just a very oddly structured movie that doesn’t resemble many other films. The story that would be the driving plot of 95% of most movies (lawyer taking on the big company) is seen through the eyes of a bit player who’s life is falling apart around him. It’s not quite a legal drama and the criminal aspects are played so nonchalantly that it can’t even reasonably be called a crime thriller. The main antagonist’s first scene has her drying sweaty pits in a bathroom stall.

First time I saw it, I liked it but was left a bit baffled. Now I’m convinced it’s the best film of 2007 (same year with There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men) and one of the top 5 American movies since 2000.

DigitalOpinion t1_ixnf4ys wrote

Star Wars. Original Trilogy.

Hated it as a kid. Thought it was overrated and dated. (Born in the 80's)

One day it was on TV and it all clicked. There are little details you can notice each watch through. Example, Vader torturing Han to send his pain backward through time so Luke will come. Like it or hate it, the magnitude of its brilliance is undeniable.

Outrageous_Tank_8356 t1_ixo95ru wrote

Huh? There wasn't time travel in the Original SW trilogy..

flipped_normal t1_ixog7um wrote

Luke was seeing the future when he was meditating on Dagobah and saw his friends suffering. Vader tortured Han so Luke could see it and follow it to Bespin.

DigitalOpinion t1_ixogtx6 wrote

Agreed. It's just another way of illustrating the way the force works...

Vader tortured Han on Bespin to lure Luke there. Before that though, Luke senses that his friends will be in danger even though the pain hadn't taken place yet. Vader understood the force and took advantage of this bizarre paradox.

Han says "they didn't even ask me any questions". This is because Vader knew the pain alone would be enough for Luke to sense it (at a previous moment in time).

damienkarras1973 t1_ixngbeo wrote

IT FOLLOWS

one of those strange movies, that things click more on repeated viewings, those blink and you'll miss it stuff. The movie since its so open to interpretation, raises more questions that another view might answer.

one movie for a FACT takes multiple views to fully appreciate? "City of The Living Dead". Honestly didn't like it on a first viewing. Many years later when I started getting into Fulci's films and bought Zombie 2 i revisited it again and it grew on me with repeated viewings.

Now I fully appreciate the unintentional and unintended humor in it.

Again I had started to get into Roger Corman flicks and was going thru the catalogue it literally took a few viewings to fully appreciate how good, the people he hired did for films like Piranha 78, Humanoids From The Deep, and even the hilarious mutant of Forbidden World (once you get past that boring opening space battle).

Diligent_Dharma_1086 t1_ixnnfn0 wrote

Barry Lyndon

I can't remember the first time I watched it but I remember not enjoying it, partly because I watched a VHS copy on a 24" low def tv and partly because I think as I aged I grew to appreciate slow paced, beautifully shot films over action films. The film certainly isn't for everyone but it's cinematography is still unbelievably stunning to this day (groundbreaking at release). I know most people will disagree, but I think it's Kubrick's finest film.

Eryk0201 t1_ixnpish wrote

Movies like "I'm Thinking of Ending Things", where they explain (or suggest) what's going on at the very end. Makes you appreciate every symbolism you previously didn't notice.

ProbablyBoredHaha t1_ixnptp7 wrote

Good Time with Robert Pattinson. I watched it sober and liked it but then I watched it on mescaline and really felt what they were going for. Their character is always in a rush, always rushing people so it gives you the feeling of panic, anxiety, and makes you feel extremely uncomfortable. Same thing with Uncut Gems it makes you feel the anxiety. Movies that can do that are examples of expert film making.

Spiritual-Signal4999 t1_ixo85ee wrote

Phantom of the Paradise, Full metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut, Psycho, Inception.

thorped077 t1_ixoef6l wrote

Coen Brothers are good at that.. A Serious Man is an excellent watch too.

I recall Donnie Darko being multiple watches as well.

[deleted] t1_ixoh4em wrote

I honestly still don’t know if I fully understand Mulholland Drive

shoelala100 t1_ixp4073 wrote

If u liked boogie nights you should check out Wonderland. It’s the Val Kilmer version of the same story (abit more violent)

Equal_Feature_9065 t1_ixpb0i1 wrote

Licorice Pizza. It has all the trappings of a nostalgic, romantic dramedy but has the audacity to evoke something other than melodrama or charm. It’s just, like, stinky. Idk. It’s just going for such a unique feeling that you don’t get in any movies. Everything’s just kinda off. There’s a almost imperceptible underlying sense of dread throughout. It’s kinda like when someone’s telling a childhood story and halfway through kinda realize… wait… this was actually all kinda fucked up. And now they’re trapped because memory doesn’t work that way. Memory sanitizes. Took me at least viewings to wrap my head around what this movie was going for. Now I love it.

blaikes t1_ixq8uvz wrote

Matrix and fight club for me. I came out enjoying the movies but feeling like I missed something - then, when you rewatch, a lot more details come to light

CaptainLysdexia t1_ixqh4nh wrote

The Grand Budapest Hotel. I can't even recall why I didn't like it the first time, but I had clearly just totally misinterpreted what I saw. Gave it a re-watch couple months ago and absolutely loved it.

u_slashh t1_ixnygc3 wrote

On my first watch I found Gattaca to be quite boring. Had to rewatch it a 2nd time to really appreciate it