Submitted by Professional-Rip-519 t3_z8jpo2 in movies

Watched both recently and I couldn't believe how similar they actually they were in many ways it feels like Fast and the Furious is a Point Break remake with cars replacing surf boards. So I'd like to know what's the consensus regarding these two movies.Which one is better and which one do you prefer or do you think f&f is just rip off let me know please

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

zomboromcom t1_iybys1k wrote

The original Point Break is on another level.

Asha_Brea t1_iybxdbt wrote

Point Break for me because I like the actors more. Also, The members of Red Hot Chili Peppers make a cameo on it.

Quint-MacReady t1_iyd4qj1 wrote

“That would be a waste of time” They were actually quite menacing in it too!

Liftin-Larry-92 t1_iyd8wyg wrote

Pretty awesome when Kiedis gets his foot blown into hamburger meat --- that was a hellacious scream LOL

Professional-Rip-519 OP t1_iybxyl3 wrote

I like Keanu, Patrick Swayze and crazy Gary Busey more than Vin ,Paul Walker RIP and Michelle Rodriguez.So that sways it for me.

InitialOutcome3 t1_iybz9k8 wrote

Point break is a better movie is we’re comparing just f&f. But you can’t really compare one movie against an entire franchise imo. F&f has its ups and downs but you know what your getting.

Professional-Rip-519 OP t1_iyc0qjf wrote

I'm not comparing it to the franchise just the first film.

InitialOutcome3 t1_iyc10tt wrote

Ahh I get you, well it’s similar in the same way Star Wars a new hope is similar to the first Harry Potter. Similar plots but different settings

Professional-Rip-519 OP t1_iycablo wrote

How are New Hope and HP the same.

InitialOutcome3 t1_iyd9o70 wrote

Didn’t say the same, but the similarities can’t be coincidence. Orphan boy living with aunt and uncle, mysterious man comes along and tell him he’s special, he’s then thrust into a world he knows little about. There’s articles on Google that explain it better than I can.

trylobyte t1_iycf3of wrote

You mean Joseph Campbell Hero's Journey

steffitube t1_iybxoa1 wrote

Apples and oranges. Both of them have similarities I agree but no need to compare! Steals the joy out of them. I wish they just made more action films with really strong themes today!

mickeyflinn t1_iycg7i2 wrote

Point Break and isn't even close.

uncultured_swine2099 t1_iydbs9y wrote

Point Break is the perfect mix of goofiness, badass action, and odd bromance poignancy. Ill go with that.

Quint-MacReady t1_iyd4lom wrote

Point Break is superior in every way. Fast and Furious is fun, but the heist is ridiculous when you can just take out the engine or tires and get the driver to pull over with minimal risk to your crew. Yet the heist in Point Break is realistic and has actually been done in real life that way. The foot chase in PB is also better than any car chase in F&F.

jgpalanca t1_iyeks9l wrote

Fast and the Furious is a remake of Point Break. They wanted to do a movie about street racers so the pitch was Point Break but with Street Racers in place of extreme sports.

Funny enough, when the Point Break remake was out, a group of high school kids were sitting behind me in the theater. About 20 minutes in they started complaining it was a rip off of Fast and the Furious.

Liftin-Larry-92 t1_iybxxry wrote

F&F is definitely a ripoff of "Point Break" --- I think Vin Diesel even admitted it

I like "Point Break" better but I can't understand at the end when Johnny Utah pulls out his FBI badge and throws it into the ocean --- why did he do this? I know he "kinda" let Bodhi escape but he knew Bodhi was gonna die anyway trying to surf those 100-foot waves! So I can see him getting reprimanded by his superiors but not fired for doing that. At least in Fast and Furious it's easy to see why Brian got fired because he deliberately let Dominic escape.

Professional-Rip-519 OP t1_iyc0lq4 wrote

I think at that moment he realised who he really is a free spirit rather than a government stooge that was always my head canon

Liftin-Larry-92 t1_iyd8evz wrote

I guess that's the only thing that makes sense to me --- because otherwise why give up a good govt. job so you can be a homeless surfer bum?

mediarch t1_iycpq9u wrote

I think you missed the most important line. While they're on the beach at the end Bodhi asks Utah if he's still surfing. "Every day". Utah would rather be surfing than getting yelled at by his boss for try to do his job. Bodhi got what he wanted but Utah will end up happier living life the way he wants instead of risking his working a job that's not a good fit for him.

Liftin-Larry-92 t1_iyd870y wrote

Yeah I guess, but it seems like a weak reason to quit the FBI --- you like surfing more than catching bad guys LOL

mediarch t1_iydx26p wrote

I'm biased because point break is one of my favorites so I could see how some would take it as a bad ending but...He got his face nearly smashed into a lawnmower, he got beat up and choked by a bunch of dudes, jacked up his already jacked up knee...twice, watched his friend and partner die right in front of him etc etc etc. He wasn't just catching bad guys. He had it really rough. Realistically he's got PTSD possibly depression. He said the only reason he went to law school was because that's what his parents wanted. This is the first time he found something he actually likes for him instead of doing what others think is best for him. He's presumably still going out with Tyler too so it not just surfing.

BodhiK187 t1_iye2q8g wrote

Point Break all the way. It didn't need 10 sequels.

Intelligent_Doubt_74 t1_iyc1de2 wrote

I'm pretty sure the fast and the furious was ecen marketed as point break with cars/street racing at the time

Alternative-Feed3613 t1_iybxabc wrote

Fast and Furious. Both are great but F&F came out when I was like 10 and blew my mind so I have a soft spot for it. I cried when PW died for the same reason.

−1

JasonKruegerCrowley t1_iybz433 wrote

Hands down, The Fast and the Furious because after you watch it, you can't help but watch the rest of the series and that's a LOT of awesome car action versus just one movie with guys on surfboards.

−6