Submitted by lullababby t3_yw32wc in newhampshire

Hi guys! My bf and I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, but we plan on leaving the country in the future as soon as we can.

New Hampshire is a strong option for us and we wanted to know more about the place from its own inhabitants.

Any information is valid: how do you like living there? info about jobs, how expensive it is to live there, what do you do for entertainment, anything.

I work with programming/engineering and he works in financial/market/investment banking. How are the jobs for this areas?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Kv603 t1_iwhannv wrote

> he works in financial/market/investment banking

With the whole "return to the office" movement, he'll almost certainly need to live somewhere closer to the big financial districts, for example Boston or even New York City.

While both are pricier than (already expensive) New Hampshire and nearly as cold (you'll find the climate and culture shock to be painful), that's where the finance jobs are.

spokydoky420 t1_iwhbb1m wrote

I moved here from the southwest desert about 3 years ago during the pandemic. I love it here, the weather, the forests, the seasons, the small town living. It's exactly what I was looking for when we left everything behind to start fresh. I was tired of the heat and the smoggy city living.

Right now, cost of living is still pretty high and we're still in an apartment and saving money while we wait for the housing market to come down in price. So unless your housing price range is in the $250k to $300k range be prepared to buy a mobile home or a serious fixer upper. Good homes are still getting snatched up quick at lower prices too sadly.

For entertainment, well, everything here is pretty widely spread out but we make an effort to visit all the local towns around us and walk around their Main Street areas and visit their shops, otherwise we're mostly homebodies. My partner does some farming with his brother in his free time. There's lots of local arts and crafts exhibits throughout the year and we went to the local Sandwich fair this year and last to see all the animals and events.

There's plenty to do and it's really nice to meet all the different people out here. Folks are super friendly and come from all walks of life. Although it is mostly white people, haha. Not a lot of diversity except in college towns.

I love it though. I feel like I finally found where I've always belonged after moving here.

Apostiarch t1_iwhdtix wrote

I've lived in NH my whole life, save for when I went to college. Here are my thoughts:

Housing market is tough right now, COVID caused all the city folk to flee to rural nh, and we haven't been doing a lot of construction because we didn't anticipate the population boom.

Education is good. Our public education is well funded, and there are a lot of good colleges in New England, so on average NH residents have a higher level of education then much of the country.

Tech and engineering is up and coming in NH, biomedical is booming in southern NH with spill-over from the number that are in Massachusettes. Fidelity has a big branch in NH, so there is financial jobs as well.

It gets cold. It snows. Be prepared for that. We get plenty of rain in spring and fall, so be prepared for wet with a good set of boots.

The further north in the state you get, the more rural. The people up there like to be left alone, and tend to enjoy self-sufficiency. Southern NH is basically norther massachusettes at this point, much greater population density with the associated difference in culture. Overall, we are politically independent, often times rejecting the national political parties as too extreme.

Dependent_Ad_5546 t1_iwhpm8c wrote

If your BF or you do ju jitsu you will find a massive Brazilian population. Since my wife started doing it 5 years ago I have more Brazilian friends than anything else haha

Ok_Professional_6723 t1_iwhr9gd wrote

People around here do lots of outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, hiking, kayaking, surfing, golfing, boating, camping, etc.

There are tons of small lakes where people enjoy vacationing. Also “the big lake”, Winnipesaukee.

It gets cold in the winter and snows a decent amount. Fall is gorgeous. Summer is warm and humid. It rains a lot all year round.

I just moved here and like it a lot so far. It is green and forested. The seacoast region is beautiful. Portsmouth is a pretty cool little city with plenty of restaurants and bars and stuff.

Boston is pretty close if you want to do some bigger city activities. I made it down to New York City in 4.5 hoirs from Portsmouth.

Pretty cool.

FreezingRobot t1_iwhtzyb wrote

I would highly suggest living in the southeastern part of the state (roughly in the Concord-Nashua-Portsmouth triangle). That's where most people live, and where most stuff is, and Boston is commutable from there. There are a TON of tech jobs in eastern Massachusetts, but not so much in New Hampshire itself. Like I said, the Boston area is commutable, and most tech jobs around here are still WFH. The northeast is expensive, housing-wise, but given your jobs, I think you'll find it affordable.

Also, you will find there are Brazilian and other Portuguese speaking communities in the area (especially in northeast MA).

Ok_Professional_6723 t1_iwhv31o wrote

Well, you can live in NH with no state income tax and commute to boston. Mass grants tax reciprocity to NH residents who work in Mass. Many live on the NH Mass border for this reason.

−4

fishsticknh t1_iwi79g8 wrote

The University System has a good amount of IT jobs available. Look up the University System of New Hampshire and there should be links for job listings.

[deleted] t1_iwiaupc wrote

fucking terrible in the winter. enjoy shoveling snow back to back one storm after the next.

KingBubbaBouy1 t1_iwik323 wrote

Plenty of jobs. High home prices and rents

Prestigious-Club-939 t1_iwik3je wrote

I live in Pelham. The southern most point of NH. It’s a little farm town close to a lot of commuting options and other activities. I commute to Boston by car from here and I don’t mind it. I think the area offers people the countryside feel without being so far from everything and great cost of living.

gOrDoNhAsNtPlAyEdIn3 t1_iwim4pm wrote

I don't know a lot about Rio except that it doesn't get below 70, so that's something you'll definitely need to get used to.

I've lived here my whole life and it really depends on your mentality. It's slow. There's not much to do inside outside of bowling, drinking or watching movies. It's improving, though.

Recommend having an outdoor hobby for every season (hiking, skiing, swimming/camping/kayaking are common ones).

It's hard to make friends as an adult. If you're in your 20s it's easier, thirties isn't tooooo bad, after that it's very hard as far as I'm aware (I'm in my early 30s).

Once you have friends it's easiest to make friends through friends as someone from out of state.

I always recommend people check out Portland, ME. It's the city I'd live in if I wanted a more city-like experience.

NH people aren't traditionally friendly we're very independent and probably don't want to talk to you (see making friends), but once we warm up we're mostly friendly.

Jobs are available, but working remotely for companies in Boston will get you the most money.

NickTz20 t1_iwipgq0 wrote

Jesus fkn Christ

−7

Revxmaciver t1_iwisn6m wrote

I've worked with lots of Brazilians and I highly suggest living in Massachusetts. There is a significant Brazilian population in Sudbury and Framingham and a good amount of Brazilians everywhere else around the Boston area. If you can get work visas to work in the industries you mentioned the better jobs are in Boston or the surrounding areas.

If (like most Brazilians I've worked with)you can't get work visas, Massachusetts is much friendlier and easier to transition to for foreigners and has much(MUCH!) better services like healthcare and public transportation. Most Brazilians I've worked with worked in kitchens being paid under the table and some of them came from white collar jobs in Brazil but could not get work visas.

Good luck to you with your move!

Able_Cunngham603 t1_iwivevp wrote

New Hampshire is one of the safest states in the nation overall, and the safest overall as it relates to Bigfoot attacks.

This is in large part because we are at the forefront of Bigfoot Safety science, thanks to the team at 603 Bigfoot.

603isthebest t1_iwlkk1s wrote

I’m born and raised in NH. I’ve lived here my entire life. I married a Brazilian man back in 2019 :)

He absolutely fell in love with NH. He feels very safe here. Where we live is very beautiful, peaceful, and quiet and he loves that. He likes the fact that people here are highly educated. We are only an hour drive from Boston and very close to shopping.

I’m also a realtor l send you a DM. I’d be happy to help you. :)

1976dave t1_iwlywrn wrote

I have no idea about finance, marketing or banking jobs but the engineering job market is very good as long as you live within commute distance of Massachusetts. EE, ME, Test Eng, controls/automation, and software jobs are plentiful. Salaries in MA are significantly better. A year ago or so I had offers for the same positions doing the same thing at a company in Manchester and a company in Andover, Andover was 50% more vacation, better 401(k), 40% higher salary.

Kv603 t1_iwlzp26 wrote

> You better, the average daytime high in New Hampshire is only higher than 50F half the year

Given that 50F is the temperature at which the deer ticks start to "quest", that can be a net positive!

Doug_Shoe t1_iwrdt32 wrote

You sell Self-Defense-Against-Bigfoot courses, right? That's amazingly luck that Bigfoot decided to attack you all those many times. Now you got lotsa Bigfoot fighting experience and can sell those courses. That's great.

Do you buy lottery tickets?