Submitted by suburban_mom_jeans t3_z2thgb in newhaven

Update: I got my car back and paid the original estimated price! Thanks for your valuable feedback.

My recent experience with Aamco in Orange:

Last Thursday I contacted Aamco regarding an issue with my car. They sent a technician to my house to diagnose the issue. The tech said to properly diagnose they would need to have my car in their shop. I had my car towed to their shop. Friday, Keenan who I think is the manager called me and stated the estimate is $4200. I told Keenan that I would call him back. I immediately called my father to tell him the estimate. While on the phone with my dad Keenan called me back so I merged all the calls. Keenan stated that he gave me the wrong quote and it was actually $3704. My father asked for the quote in an email.

On Monday, I called Aamco to tell them to proceed with the repairs. I had to put down a $1000 deposit. I asked Keenan if he thought the repairs could cost more than the emailed quote. He said if anything changes he would call me before moving forward. Keenan also said the car would be ready today.

I called about an hour ago to pay my remaining balance and was told I owe $3200 when I was expecting $2700ish. The individual said he was reading the information directly from the ticket. I was told that the quote was based on the wrong part for my car. I asked why nobody called me prior to installing. The response I got was " the price is the price".

I had to borrow $3400 from my aunt to pay for the repairs. They basically said call them back when I had the additional $500. My issue is that I did not get the promised phone call prior to them installing the new part. Had they called me beforehand I would have told them that I would not be able to move forward. So my car will sit there for another week and a half until I have the extra $500. Hopefully they wont charge me storage fees.

I feel like Aamco engaged in shady business practices. I understand that an estimate is not the guaranteed price but, why didn't they call beforehand like they stated. Also, I believe and estimate should be as close to the final price as possible not an additional $500.

That's my experience do with it what you will.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Time_Yam301 t1_ixigc9b wrote

Auto repair places always do this. I'm doing the used car route now, but I leased new cars for years just to avoid those kinds of huge unexpected costs. But today things are different, at least for the moment.

It is shady, but they are all like this. Always have been. What's worse is it's not like they give you a 3-year 36,000 mile warranty.

How much is the car worth? I'd rather put $4,200 towards a used $10,000 car than repair one.

lazy-but-talented t1_ixilwdq wrote

Did they ever say which parts were being replaced or give you the diagnostic report in the email?

13_0_0_0_0 t1_ixinsr8 wrote

I could swear there was a big legal todo about estimates and final price in Connecticut back in the 80s (hence those legal looking signs about estimates in auto places). For that amount it might be worth looking into that.

robzillerrrsss t1_ixiuuvd wrote

It seems odd that the price went back up to the original 4200. Too much of a coincidence. Is it possible that there were taxes and disposal fees not included in the $3704?

But either way, it sucks but that is close enough to the original estimate that I wouldn't be too surprised by it.

The car is only 3 years old, why didn't you check if it's covered under warranty? $4200 repair on a 3 year old car is way too much.

HockeyandTrauma t1_ixj3xgn wrote

An estimate can change to anything as long as they call you and tell you what the change is going to be. You can choose to pay it or stop the work there. Like with any significant work, you don’t know what is going to be found or needed til it’s torn down. When they do a diagnosis for an hour or two of labor, they’re not tearing down the differential to figure out what exactly is needed. That’s why it’s an estimate not an exact. If you feel you’ve not been properly notified, then you need to run it up the chain. It’s a franchise. That shop has someone to answer to.

suburban_mom_jeans OP t1_ixj59am wrote

Didn't know that was a thing. I'm not a car person. I get in and drive. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Anyway my issue is not with paying for the repairs. My issue is that I was given an estimate. The price changed and I was not informed prior to them doing the work. This has little to do with my knowledge of my car or anything else. You can't add $500 w/o informing and getting approval from the customer.

HockeyandTrauma t1_ixj5rbt wrote

The point is, you don't get into these situations where you feel like you're being had when you take ownership of the vehicle you're driving. Being informed on what regular maintenance is on the vehicle, getting it done, and using a trustworthy shop or dealer doesn't put you into these situations. Hack shops rely on low knowledge drivers to make thier money. It doesn't really matter if they quoted you 5 dollars or 5 million. Not knowing anything about it is going to put you in situations where you feel had. Whether you were or weren't.

It's all preventable.

Boat0133 t1_ixjh9to wrote

I am so sorry this happened to you but I guess you live and you learn

m11cb t1_ixjjxq1 wrote

If you feel like you were defrauded, you can always file a complaint with the city. I'm assuming they'll need some info but it seems worth it to get your money back, or at least start mediation.

Whydoyouhatefreedom t1_ixjp7so wrote

CALL THE DMV!!! Montessi VW did this to me! They told me I needed a whole new transmission, (5k) when all I really needed was a $150 part. Brought it to another dealer and Mentessi had to pay for the car to be put back together.

Macthesnacc t1_ixkpn3b wrote

You didn’t ask but I use east rock auto repair and they’re 1. Really nice and 2. Everything is done in writing on the computer and is very transparent, they show you what they think needs done and why/how urgent and how much it will cost for parts and for labor and you can approve or disapprove for each individual thing online

wirizarry01ct t1_ixm91rd wrote

If the estimate was based on the wrong part of the car, they had no authorization to work on the car… you should dispute in small claims.